Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #3676
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011rex18 View Post
All the different exhausts you go through, can I have one lol! Ill be sure to test it out thoroughly for you
Haha! I don't pile them all up. They're all traded or sold prior to getting a new one. I have a stock one that I swap back to. I honestly think I've probably spent close to $0 on exhausts since the first one. I just stay on the lookout for deals and trades.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #3677
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

My project for the night:











xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3678
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Haha replaced the digitizer. I manage a Smart Phone Repair Shop so I do this all day long. Mainly iPhones and iPhone color conversions though. Fun work haha.
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #3679
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilverwrx View Post
Haha replaced the digitizer. I manage a Smart Phone Repair Shop so I do this all day long. Mainly iPhones and iPhone color conversions though. Fun work haha.
Yeah, it wasn't too bad, but I redid it 4 times to try and get rid of all the dust. I used a microfiber cloth and a rocket blower, but there always seemed to be a few small particles. I was using a flashlight to spot the dust, but there always seemed to be a few. I felt like I needed a clean room to do it. Maybe just a humidifier or something would have helped.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #3680
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
Yeah, it wasn't too bad, but I redid it 4 times to try and get rid of all the dust. I used a microfiber cloth and a rocket blower, but there always seemed to be a few small particles. I was using a flashlight to spot the dust, but there always seemed to be a few. I felt like I needed a clean room to do it. Maybe just a humidifier or something would have helped.
Yeah it's tough to get zero dust you have to do it quick and it helps to use a can of air/air compressor and a few clean micro wipes with you. sometimes windex helps too.
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #3681
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

I suppose I could have tried canned air. I usually avoid that and stick to the Rocket blower for my photography stuff, so I didn't even think of it. But after 4 tries it's pretty much perfect. I did notice a slight "defect" in the lamination of the screen (bottom left corner of the last photo), but I suppose that's what you get with a cheap Chinese knock off.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #3682
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Ahh, yeah. Our shop buys real replacements. it's better to have a satisfied customer that's not going to need to come back because the knock off eBay part stopped working -__-
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #3683
Navendra94
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 327495
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Ozone Park, Queens, New York
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX 5DR
Plasma Blue

Default

I have T-Mobile but I'd still trade my crappy broken hand-me-downed G1 for anything >_>
Navendra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #3684
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

I used some 2mm wide, double sided tape to hold the screen on and it's not sealing the whole way around. I can already see dust get back in. I just ordered some pre-cut adhesive and I'll have to redo it once it arrives. I didn't realize you could buy the pre-cut stuff, most of the things I read just said to use the tape. A good screen would probably come with the adhesive already attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NEW-Adhes...-/350629966558
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #3685
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Things are getting slow with the car huh, lol. Well done sir.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #3686
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
I used some 2mm wide, double sided tape to hold the screen on and it's not sealing the whole way around. I can already see dust get back in. I just ordered some pre-cut adhesive and I'll have to redo it once it arrives. I didn't realize you could buy the pre-cut stuff, most of the things I read just said to use the tape. A good screen would probably come with the adhesive already attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NEW-Adhes...-/350629966558
For most droids the screens do come with the adhesive so they slap on. we also use plastic clamps and heat up the edges slightly to form a real solid seal. if your ordering strips, use 3M.
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #3687
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Things are getting slow with the car huh, lol. Well done sir.
I'll try not to let it go more than a week or two without doing anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilverwrx View Post
For most droids the screens do come with the adhesive so they slap on. we also use plastic clamps and heat up the edges slightly to form a real solid seal. if your ordering strips, use 3M.
Ah, well I must have just bought a crappy screen then. The thin tape I bought was 3M, but it was hard to work with simply due to the small size. The lack of a good seal was purely due to my installation not getting full coverage on the tape. I ordered that adhesive in the eBay link, so hopefully it's not crap.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #3688
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I'll try not to let it go more than a week or two without doing anything...


Ah, well I must have just bought a crappy screen then. The thin tape I bought was 3M, but it was hard to work with simply due to the small size. The lack of a good seal was purely due to my installation not getting full coverage on the tape. I ordered that adhesive in the eBay link, so hopefully it's not crap.
Shouldn't be too bad. After you apply the tape though, try letting something heavy sit on the top the press the glass into the frame for a bit, maybe 15 minutes or so. Use a hair dryer to really melt the new glue and then put pressure on it (I use plastic clamps) It'll really seal the glass into the plastic and stop anything from coming in. But seriously, make your car faster or something, it must be getting boring . Kidding tho, but back to the car. Do you think your turbo is one of the best quick spool, stock locations, easy to set up turbos there are? I have a while to go before I do a bigger turbo, but it's always nice to have an idea. I'm always back and forth between yours and rsuttons turbo.
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #3689
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Don't they both have the same turbo?
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3690
thatsilverwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307725
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Don't they both have the same turbo?
No, xluben has the 20G-XT-R and rsutton has the Dom 1.5.
thatsilverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #3691
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN View Post
Don't they both have the same turbo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilverwrx View Post
No, xluben has the 20G-XT-R and rsutton has the Dom 1.5.
This is correct. They are very similar turbo's. The difference is a 68mm compressor vs a 71mm compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilverwrx View Post
Do you think your turbo is one of the best quick spool, stock locations, easy to set up turbos there are? I have a while to go before I do a bigger turbo, but it's always nice to have an idea. I'm always back and forth between yours and rsuttons turbo.
They're both really good options. I'd probably go with the Dom1.5 XTR though. It seems to spool about the same, but it can make a little more on the top end if you really push it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilverwrx View Post
Shouldn't be too bad. After you apply the tape though, try letting something heavy sit on the top the press the glass into the frame for a bit, maybe 15 minutes or so. Use a hair dryer to really melt the new glue and then put pressure on it (I use plastic clamps) It'll really seal the glass into the plastic and stop anything from coming in. But seriously, make your car faster or something, it must be getting boring . Kidding tho, but back to the car.
Heat and pressure were two things that I definitely did not use when I put it together. The real trick for me is trying to avoid the dust during assembly...
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #3692
wrxtuner13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88521
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: va beach
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Sedan
390whp/398wtq E85

Default

Hey X, My trans is currently at andrewtech getting buillt with the PAR straight cut gears. How are they holding up? If you could shoot me a txt @ 757-619-0931 so i can ask you some questions.

Cheers
wrxtuner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #3693
climbhigh09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254163
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 20GXTR
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Haha! I don't pile them all up. They're all traded or sold prior to getting a new one. I have a stock one that I swap back to. I honestly think I've probably spent close to $0 on exhausts since the first one. I just stay on the lookout for deals and trades.
Hah... I have 4 exhausts sitting in my garage right now, if you count the one on the car. You looked into the Fujitsubo catback exhaust?
climbhigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #3694
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtuner13 View Post
Hey X, My trans is currently at andrewtech getting buillt with the PAR straight cut gears. How are they holding up? If you could shoot me a txt @ 757-619-0931 so i can ask you some questions.

Cheers
Are you going with 1-4 straight cut? I only have 1-2 straight. They're a little noisy, but I like them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Input shaft (with straight cut 1st and 2nd), 2nd gear, and 3rd gear synchro cone from PAR.



Gears assembled into the case. Didn't take any photos of the synchros before install.







Case halves assembled. 5th gear is exposed. Ready to close it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhigh09 View Post
Hah... I have 4 exhausts sitting in my garage right now, if you count the one on the car. You looked into the Fujitsubo catback exhaust?
Which ones do you have? Thoughts on each? I haven't looked into that on much. Overall the design looks very similar to the Greddy SP Elite, but the tips aren't as pretty.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #3695
07wrx84
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 252195
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Da-Boonies... 801
Vehicle:
07 WFC #900
@ 451awhp-404awtq

Default

So siiiick! Can't wait for my set!
07wrx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #3696
wrxtuner13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88521
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: va beach
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Sedan
390whp/398wtq E85

Default

I bought the straight cut 1-4. Yeah, I'm ready for the noise
wrxtuner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #3697
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtuner13 View Post
I bought the straight cut 1-4. Yeah, I'm ready for the noise
That should be fun

My straight cut 1 and 2 don't seem as loud as PPG's, so maybe the PAR 3 and 4 won't be too loud...
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #3698
climbhigh09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254163
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 20GXTR
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
Are you going with 1-4 straight cut? I only have 1-2 straight. They're a little noisy, but I like them.

Which ones do you have? Thoughts on each? I haven't looked into that on much. Overall the design looks very similar to the Greddy SP Elite, but the tips aren't as pretty.
Run of the mill stuff. Stock, SPT, Q300, Nameless. Going to have the Fuji by next week it sounds like.

Stock is too quiet, Nameless and Q300 are too loud on the highway, SPT is going on tonight. Have to cut the Fuji to ship it reasonably, so that sucks. I'm going to weld flanges on to make it easier to trade.
climbhigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #3699
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhigh09 View Post
Run of the mill stuff. Stock, SPT, Q300, Nameless. Going to have the Fuji by next week it sounds like.

Stock is too quiet, Nameless and Q300 are too loud on the highway, SPT is going on tonight. Have to cut the Fuji to ship it reasonably, so that sucks. I'm going to weld flanges on to make it easier to trade.
Which version of the Nameless? How does it compare to the SPT?

That is really lame that you have to cut the Fuji. Just get a big box!
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #3700
low-n-slow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313818
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North West OH
Vehicle:
2002 wrx hybrid
WRB

Default

In my opinion, its hard to beat the whine of helical/straight cut gears
low-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xluben's Pictures and Review of the SPT Exhaust for the 2011 WRX 5 Door Hatch xluben Car Part Reviews 26 11-08-2012 06:55 PM
My first post and my first Subaru, a 2011 WRX 5 door in white. Decade240 Newbies & FAQs 25 06-20-2012 01:48 PM
2011 wrx 5 door hatch with Rota 17"x7.5 +48 5x100 wheels? BretCutler Tire & Wheel 4 01-14-2011 08:05 AM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 55 10-13-2010 11:37 PM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 10 10-04-2010 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.