Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default Infrared Testing Volume 3 **featuring PTP LAVA Turbo Blanket**

PTP has released a new Subaru turbo blanket for us, made from the Lava materials that they sucessfully use in their other products.

With an outer layer made from actual pulverized volcanic lava rock (continuous-filament basalt) formed into fabric and woven into a tight mesh weave, these turbo blankets are internally insulated with high temperature calcium magnesium silicate wool, overlaid with a high temperature silica fabric for increased durability and for improved thermal resistance. The Lava Turbo Blankets are designed to withstand the harshest of conditions. PTP Subaru Lava Turbo Blankets are designed to fit all stock Subaru WRX/STI turbochargers. They also can fit many other after market turbochargers with internal wastegates.

DISCOUNTED LAVA BLANKET $$115.99 HERE--------> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2498473

Subaru WRX Turbo Blanket - Lava Heat Tolerance:
Interior Surface:
Max Temperature Rating: 2300 Deg F/ 1260 Deg C
Continuous Use Limit: 1800 Deg F/ 982 Deg C

Exterior Surface:
Direct Contact Limit: 1800 Deg F/ 982 Deg C
Radiant Heat Limit: 2500 Deg F/ 1371 Deg C



comparison to the original turbo blanket



As you can see the new lava blanket is slightly larger than the original blanket. This size difference is really great and now covers the downpipes flange and has much better coverage with this slight size increase.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by HeroCrank; 05-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

The testing portion for this new lava blanket is running the wrx until operating temperature is reached, than running the car for an additional 15 minutes. The infrared shots are taken when the car is running in a 68F room. The car has done the majority of the idling outside at around 55F before being brought into the 68F garage.



these next infrared shots are of the original ptp turbo blanket.

the original blanket is 174F
GRIMMSPEED heatshield temp with DEI gold foil 95F


Now here are the infrared shots of the new PTP LAVA Turbo blanket



GRIMMSPEED heatshield with DEI gold foil, and PTP LAVA turbo blanket


174F-136F=38F difference between the original and new LAVA turbo blanket.

the heatshield difference is 95F-63F= 32F

Last edited by HeroCrank; 04-16-2013 at 04:01 PM.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Wait, what?

At what temperature are you warming this car up at? You said the testing is in a 68F room, yet the heat shield is 63F, so clearly the car was warmed up/driving in a cooler environment than this. How does this environment compare to the one when the original testing was done?
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

So, after receiving, installing, and testing of the new LAVA turbo blanket, I am very impressed with this product. The quality of the blanket is top notch and performs very well. The total temperature difference is 70F compared to the original turbo blanket. The original blanket msrp is 84.99 while the LAVA blanket carries a msrp of 139.99. That is a difference of 55.00. So for 55 more dollars you can eliminate 70F more than with the original blanket, which equates to about 1.27 per degree F. Now when your looking at trying to bring your underhood temps down, every degree counts and this is an easy way to pick up those extra numbers that you are looking for.




Last edited by HeroCrank; 04-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
Wait, what?

At what temperature are you warming this car up at? You said the testing is in a 68F room, yet the heat shield is 63F, so clearly the car was warmed up/driving in a cooler environment than this. How does this environment compare to the one when the original testing was done?

ah the car was running outside at 55F than brought into the 68F garage as to not fill the area with exhaust.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Zaya
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336204
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, Ontario Canada.
Vehicle:
1979 Z28 Camaro
Burgundy

Default

That seems like a very good product, I may have to buy that for my Subaru when I buy it. Thank you!
Zaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Philbertio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328133
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Magog, Quebec Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru Forester
Repo grey

Default

Arg. so this comes out a month after I bought the original ptp blanket...I feel like I just bought last year's iPod.


P
Philbertio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroCrank View Post
ah the car was running outside at 55F than brought into the 68F garage as to not fill the area with exhaust.
And what was the outside temp for the first test that you're comparing against?
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroCrank View Post
The total temperature difference is 70F compared to the original turbo blanket. The original blanket msrp is 84.99 while the LAVA blanket carries a msrp of 139.99. That is a difference of 55.00. So for 55 more dollars you can eliminate 70F more than with the original blanket, which equates to about 1.27 per degree F.[/IMG]
A 35F difference in two places is not a "70F difference". If you have $10 more in your wallet than your friend on Tuesday, and the same $10 more on Wednesday, you wouldn't say you have $20 more than your friend. Similarly, you wouldn't measure your heat shield in 10 different places, get the same 32F change in every spot, and call it a 320F change.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
henria86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303849
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Big City
Vehicle:
2004 Forester Xt
Silver stg2

Default

i just buy the blanket too
now i want the lava rock one too
henria86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
A 35F difference in two places is not a "70F difference". If you have $10 more in your wallet than your friend on Tuesday, and the same $10 more on Wednesday, you wouldn't say you have $20 more than your friend. Similarly, you wouldn't measure your heat shield in 10 different places, get the same 32F change in every spot, and call it a 320F change.
Total engine bay temperature difference is a 70f. Two different products, one temp measurement each.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbertio View Post
Arg. so this comes out a month after I bought the original ptp blanket...I feel like I just bought last year's iPod.


P
yeah, I know what you mean man. This one seems to be a good investment but you cant go wrong with a blanket of any kind.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
And what was the outside temp for the first test that you're comparing against?
its the same outside temp for both. no radical changes in weather up here yet. the difference in turbo temps that your probably refering to are from slight differences in idle times, but all are very close to being the same. I have images that support that a 10-20F varience in turbo temps doesnt change the outside blanket and heatshield numbers by more than 1 to 5 degrees F. sometimes getting the right infrared shot takes time but all results are definitley accurate and one can expect similar ballpark results when taking any environment differences into account.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaya View Post
That seems like a very good product, I may have to buy that for my Subaru when I buy it. Thank you!
A good turbo blanket should be high on the mod list when starting out
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
slide
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1130
Join Date: Mar 2000
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatch
DGM

Default

Will the wrx blanket fit an sti? It's on a 2013...
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Will the wrx blanket fit an sti? It's on a 2013...
Yes, any stock location Subaru turbo.

These results look great! Any chance for a similar dataset after hard driving?

I'm going to be selling my black PTP blanket and getting the Lava one
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Yes, any stock location Subaru turbo.

These results look great! Any chance for a similar dataset after hard driving?

I'm going to be selling my black PTP blanket and getting the Lava one

I thought the results were awesome, I was surprised how much better the lava blanket is. I will get you the pics after some agressive driving this week.
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Next time you shoot that heat sheild put a piece of tape somewhere on it and compare the temp of the tape to the temp of the heat shield itself.
kellygnsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
gtasti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152036
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ontario
Vehicle:
2004 Sti
PSM

Default

Do think that will fit a 20g turbo ?
gtasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
HeroCrank
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301089
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MAINE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5 door
TP stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtasti View Post
Do think that will fit a 20g turbo ?

www.ptpturboblankets.com
HeroCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroCrank View Post
Total engine bay temperature difference is a 70f. Two different products, one temp measurement each.
That is not a valid assessment of the results, and is incredibly misleading. Your "total temperature difference", be it 70, 120, or 700 degrees, will change depending on the number of different parts you take a measurement of and add together, making that number by itself entirely useless. At a minimum you should be posting the average temperature drop of all components, definitely not the sum.

You wouldn't stick three pots of water outside, measure a 10 deg drop in each, and say that the outside temperature dropped by 30 degrees would you? Add another pot and it's now a 40 deg drop. When you start doing that, the numbers become meaningless. It's really detracting from the validity of your tests for anybody who knows what they're looking at. I promise you, anybody who looks at the numbers and sees what you've done to get that "70F" number will start to question the legitimacy of the rest of the test setup. Especially since no outside temperature is listed for the tests, just the 68F room in which you're doing the tests, which, since the car is spending almost no time in there, doesn't matter.

If the outside temp really didn't change at all, and the idle time is the same in both tests, then those are impressive results.

Last edited by the suicidal eggroll; 11-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroCrank View Post
I thought the results were awesome, I was surprised how much better the lava blanket is. I will get you the pics after some agressive driving this week.
Well, I sold my black PTP blanket and have a Lava one on the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtasti View Post
Do think that will fit a 20g turbo ?
It should fit any stock location Subaru turbo (ie. uses the Subaru style downpipe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
That is not a valid assessment of the results, and is incredibly misleading. Your "total temperature difference", be it 70, 120, or 700 degrees, will change depending on the number of different parts you take a measurement of and add together, making that number by itself entirely useless. At a minimum you should be posting the average temperature drop of all components, definitely not the sum.

You wouldn't stick three pots of water outside, measure a 10 deg drop in each, and say that the outside temperature dropped by 30 degrees would you? Add another pot and it's now a 40 deg drop. When you start doing that, the numbers become meaningless. It's really detracting from the validity of your tests for anybody who knows what they're looking at. I promise you, anybody who looks at the numbers and sees what you've done to get that "70F" number will start to question the legitimacy of the rest of the test setup.

If the outside temp really didn't change at all, and the idle time is the same in both tests, then those are impressive results.
Have you ever seen a weight loss infomercial? They measure circumference at 10 places all over your body, and then say that you lost 100000 inches!!!

But I do agree that it's misleading. Unless there was some standard of X measurements in Y different locations that everyone used, then it could be meaningful. But there's not.

Still great results.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Yes, any stock location Subaru turbo.

These results look great! Any chance for a similar dataset after hard driving?

I'm going to be selling my black PTP blanket and getting the Lava one
will it fit a FP black? I am running no head shields or anything right now
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Have you ever seen a weight loss infomercial? They measure circumference at 10 places all over your body, and then say that you lost 100000 inches!!!

But I do agree that it's misleading. Unless there was some standard of X measurements in Y different locations that everyone used, then it could be meaningful. But there's not.

Still great results.


Agreed
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
ecbmxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 228059
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Spark Silver Metallic

Default

Those cameras typically have an adjustable emissivity value, correct? Out of curiosity, what did you have it set to for testing?
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.