Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
I think, first, we should all stay off the topic of politics, religion, and other various beliefs. There are too many opinions of what is right and wrong. And can totally ruin your image in someone else's eyes.
Someone having a moral compass and belief systems that were in place all along yet them having the courage to stand up and vocalize their convictions ruins their image?

If you were referring to me, I'm just fine with whatever false image you had of me being erased. You can be damn well certain I won't back down or be swayed by popular opinion. AS for my house, we will serve the Lord.

I have many rough edges. AS I've said in several other threads, God's work in me is not yet finished.

It is only by working through my faults, and overcoming my wrongdoings that I work my way to the light of the truth. I would rather fight tooth and nail through a life of obstacles to spend one second in the light of truth than linger in the darkness. There are times experiencing the polar extremes of an issue gives one a better perspective of right and wrong. I've walked a long, difficult and unique path. My truth is my own. One thing I've learned along the way is that you can only come to it when you are ready.

When the student is ready, the teacher appears. Conversely, when the teacher is ready, the student appears.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
This should be about one thing. Cars.
Personally, I disagree. Civil discussions can be had on widely varying topics. The differences and spaces between us leave room, for you and I to grow.

We all come from different homes, value systems, beliefs, life experiences, careers, etc. There is value in that. Sharing those perspectives, however uncomfortable it may be at times, doesn't have to be a bad thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
We as a younger generation have grown up with the bug eye WRX ... "old dogs" ... us new kids on the block...while you old folk are stubborn, short minded people who think GD is king.
Kyle, you are the one who seems to have the issue. I build my own car (with lots of help I might add), customize it to my liking and compete with it. Even 11 years after purchase, my car is still a work in progress. I'm at 132K, stock internals, stock turbo, stock tranny. I don't "think" the GD is king…I let the performance, reliability and placings speak for themselves. You think another platform is better…come prove it. Are there features of the new technology I feel are better, sure. I would love to have variable valve timing, I would love to have direct injection, but I have a debt free car that can set FTD when I am up to the task. I do find it interesting that Subaru seems to be moving back to a 2.0 liter platform.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
When we ask a question regarding the new platform, you all just shrug and say search. But when you guys have a question about the GD, we are quick to throw an answer out, because we DO know the old platform as well as the new.
So instead of getting all flabbergasted over stance, fancy wheel colors, and mod choices.
Why should people who own an earlier generation car bother themselves to learn a new platform if they don't own it? We had to learn our own models…why involve ourselves with your car's issues?



Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
Take a look in the mirror and look back at what choices you were making when you were our age. IE: hammer pants ;D
Never happened. Even in that era, I had the good sense to recognize bad taste.
I will admit, I wore a pink shirt, ONCE.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nomadgene is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
granny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283145
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Avondale, Arizona
Vehicle:
1997 LEGASTi Wagon
PowerflexUSA-@grannywagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
I think, first, we should all stay off the topic of politics, religion, and other various beliefs. There are too many opinions of what is right and wrong. And can totally ruin your image in someone else's eyes.
I disagree. These topics need to be talked (not argued) about. Our country is literally split in half about this and that isn't good. If someone doesn't like me for my "politics, religion, and other various beliefs" than thats sad. The beauty of these forums is you can talk your mind, have an argument, log off the computer, and go back to being friends. We need to talk about this not as democrats, republicans, liberals, and conservatives but as Americans.

Last edited by granny; 11-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.
granny is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

There is a difference between talking about it and forcefully shoving religion down someones throat.
jerseyjessi is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
Racer Dubya
some old guy
Moderator
 
Member#: 112225
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
1985 78 HP of Rage!
Blue

Default

As a Mod:
If a topic is allowed in forum rules it will be allowed, if the forum breaks down to name calling etc. it MAY get locked to allow folks to cool down. This doesn't mean the last post was "right" it was just time... think of it as Sherbet in between the courses of your AKIC dining exerience.

As a Member:
I think many subjects have a place on message boards... however, you need to know your audience. If you know that you won't be able to make a point without a total breakdown of self control or the ability to keep emotions in check by some of the participants... don't act surprised by the responses.

Have fun all...
Racer Dubya is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
Why should people who own an earlier generation car bother themselves to learn a new platform if they don't own it? We had to learn our own models…why involve ourselves with your car's issues?
As someone that prides themselves on knowledge and sharing, this sentence completely baffles me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
Never happened. Even in that era, I had the good sense to recognize bad taste.
I wore a pink shirt
Quoted for posterity. Something only a mod or myself can ever erase now.
chanomatik is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Religion: Starting wars and bringing about hate since the dawn of man.
Mavrik is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #32
kyletakahero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 185030
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, AK
Vehicle:
2003

Default

Quote:
Someone having a moral compass and belief systems that were in place all along yet them having the courage to stand up and vocalize their convictions ruins their image?

If you were referring to me, I'm just fine with whatever false image you had of me being erased. You can be damn well certain I won't back down or be swayed by popular opinion. AS for my house, we will serve the Lord.
Oh no, not referring to anyone at all. I'm just saying as a whole, this is the wrong avenue for such discussion, as this is a automotive forum.
Those types of discussion I feel should always be in person so that one can accurately say what they mean as well as give people a chance to discuss their viewpoints without being misconveyed. Just like my statement was by you

Quote:
We all come from different homes, value systems, beliefs, life experiences, careers, etc. There is value in that. Sharing those perspectives, however uncomfortable it may be at times, doesn't have to be a bad thing.
I really like this paragraph, it is exactly why should be discussed, but like I said earlier, I feel this is the wrong avenue to do so.


Quote:
Kyle, you are the one who seems to have the issue. I build my own car (with lots of help I might add), customize it to my liking and compete with it. Even 11 years after purchase, my car is still a work in progress. I'm at 132K, stock internals, stock turbo, stock tranny. I don't "think" the GD is king…I let the performance, reliability and placings speak for themselves. You think another platform is better…come prove it. Are there features of the new technology I feel are better, sure. I would love to have variable valve timing, I would love to have direct injection, but I have a debt free car that can set FTD when I am up to the task. I do find it interesting that Subaru seems to be moving back to a 2.0 liter platform.
No issue, you should know me well enough, Mike, that I love all of the Subaru's. I've even come to ask for your guidance in what path to bring my car on. I love that you are still throwing things at the car and the you actually push the damn thing instead of letting it sit pretty in a garage. But, the issue I have is the fact that A LOT of people don't have forward thinking when it comes to other models. Maybe it's just be, but I LOVE learning about new cars and not just from Subaru.
Technically, Subaru has never really left the 2.0 platform. They still use it in most markets, I believe it's JUST the USA that sees the 2.5.


Quote:
Why should people who own an earlier generation car bother themselves to learn a new platform if they don't own it? We had to learn our own models…why involve ourselves with your car's issues?
I guess it's not so much issues that I'm concerned with, it's mostly what is compatible between models is what I'm worried about. OR just basic maintenance questions. It's early, I can't quite process this thought quickly, haha moving on.




Quote:
Never happened. Even in that era, I had the good sense to recognize bad taste.
I will admit, I wore a pink shirt, ONCE.
Hahaha, thank you for having fun with this convo, Mike. Much appreciated.
(You don't have to like about having a feather earring hiding in your dresser ;D )
kyletakahero is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #33
granny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283145
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Avondale, Arizona
Vehicle:
1997 LEGASTi Wagon
PowerflexUSA-@grannywagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post
There is a difference between talking about it and forcefully shoving religion down someones throat.
If you thought I was forcing religion down someones throat than I am sorry. I still cant find anywhere where I tried to preach about religion. I was not trying to offend anyone in my post, so again, please forgive me if I did so. Just saying my view on things as you and many others have.

Last edited by granny; 11-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.
granny is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
92 Corrado SLC
01.5 S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny View Post
Mike, there is no use talking to them. Most people on this site will not agree with you on politics because they like getting free stuff handed to them on a platter. Who doesn't? Here is what I have to say about all this hubbub.

I am young. But I am also grateful that I grew up in a good home where my parents talked to me about life. I am proud of my old granny Subaru because it is something I worked for and is 100% paid off. I may not have much but I am debt free which means I have more wealth than most people in this country.
You are wise well beyond your years. Had I to do it over again, I'd probably still be driving my old BE with a Turbo kit on it. My goal at the moment is to be free and clear of all debt, sans house... in a couple years. It's taken me this long to figure that out, and a coupe more paying **** down. You are well ahead of the game. Although I would like to add one feeling I have regarding your fact list ... which is within context to jersy's qoute..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post
There is a difference between talking about it and forcefully shoving religion down someones throat.
I completely agree... but this is NOT just for religion... this should be for ALL facets of discussion. Unfortunately, some people forget this is a two way street. Just as one should not force their religion on someone else, another group should not then force THEIR views and values on everyone else. People complain about religion and it being forced down their throats, yet for some reason we are then to accept special groups forcing THEIR views into society? Would seem to ME to be a "pot vs kettle" thing. An example could be the gay community, Wanting "tolerance" of their community, yet then being intolerant of anyone that doesn't feel the same way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
I think, first, we should all stay off the topic of politics, religion, and other various beliefs. There are too many opinions of what is right and wrong. And can totally ruin your image in someone else's eyes.
This should be about one thing. Cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletakahero View Post
Those types of discussion I feel should always be in person so that one can accurately say what they mean as well as give people a chance to discuss their viewpoints without being misconveyed. Just like my statement was by you
I think we all could be civil, and I think truthfully as a nation we NEED to discuss this. we ARE split 50/50 right now. However it is in no way a clean split down "party lines". I think for the US as a country to move forward is to discuss these items and find a common ground. If nothing else, LISTEN to teh other side and UNDERSTAND where they are coming from. I believe this to be one of the biggest issues with Congress, and why many debates become explosive. For a real discussion or debate to happen, BOTH sides would need to be open and willing to listen to the other side. I read an article the other day, saying in essence, "now it's time for the republicans to come to our way of thinking." Umm no .. Now is the time for BOTH SIDES to work TOGETHER.

Going into any discussion where one party has already made up its mind they are going to convert the other to their way of thinking ... is a lost cause.
AKSubie is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #35
07VTRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179023
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
07 CGM WRX TR
Dom 1.5xtr + PPG's

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny View Post
1. Fact - Taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor does not work.
Why? They will spend it on what the want and not what they need. Who here has there car completely paid off? Not many. Who here receives financial aid from the government one way or another? More than you think. Why not grow up and spend the money you are given and worked for and pay off what you owe and not buy parts for what put you in debt in the first place.

2. Fact - Abortion is killing.
Why? Is it living? If it isn't than why are you so worried about it? Two easy ways to not worry about it. One, wait to have sex for when you are married. Two, use birth control. If you don't want the kid, kill the one you already have and save the pain of surgery. If you don't already have a kid to kill, tough luck.

3. Fact - People do not have enough self control to use drugs.
Why? Because we are human. Humans make stupid mistakes. If you think humans have self control look at the streets. Do you think all those homeless are out there because they still can't find a job? I've volunteered at the Downtown Soup Kitchen for ten years and the answer is no. If you have self control than good for you but a lot of people don't. Legalizing drugs is dangerous. If they want to kill themselves using drugs so be it, but them being high puts a lot more people at risk than themselves and that is wrong.

4. Fact - Gay marriage is wrong.
Why? God made the earth perfect. He created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. If you don't believe in God than fine but do you think nature intended it to be man and man or woman and woman? If it did two guys or two women could make a baby. A woman has never been born trapped in a guys body, his parents just dropped him on his head when he was little.

I am young.
As a scientist/engineer it bothers me that you should call your opinions "facts". Although i agree you seem to be wise for your age, dont let it get to your head. What you personally believe to be true is not scientifically proven fact, more just a personal basis for your fundamentals of thinking. Yes, i realize im being a total grammer-type-nazzi, on this one, and thats out of character for me, but i just coudlnt help myself.

I could, and would, gladly argue you on all those points for intelligent debate's sake, but thats neither here nor there. while you are young you still have a lot to learn about how the world works. i thought i had it all figured out too...
07VTRex is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07VTRex

As a scientist/engineer it bothers me that you should call your opinions "facts". Although i agree you seem to be wise for your age, dont let it get to your head. What you personally believe to be true is not scientifically proven fact, more just a personal basis for your fundamentals of thinking. Yes, i realize im being a total grammer-type-nazzi, on this one, and thats out of character for me, but i just coudlnt help myself.

I could, and would, gladly argue you on all those points for intelligent debate's sake, but thats neither here nor there. while you are young you still have a lot to learn about how the world works. i thought i had it all figured out too...
Funny, I was going to post about this last night in response to Davin's statement about me contradicting myself. He bolded science and "forgive them father, they know not what they do" .

50 years ago as science progressed beyond a rudimentary stage, many scientists when asked if they believed in God would say "Of course not, I am a scientist! "

Often times now days, in an age of particle accelerators, electron microscopes and advanced chemistry, genetics or astronomy, if you ask a scientist if they believe in a supreme being they will say " Of course I do, I'm a scientist. "

My life experiences, specifically in the medical field have left me certain without a doubt of God's divinity and the reality of an afterlife. An underlying connectivity to all.

Many people get hung up on the whole old white guy on a cloud, angels, harps, milk and honey, etc. Religion is each cultures' way of seeking the divine. Therein lies the problem. A religious life is not necessarily a spiritual life. Religion attempts to confine God to a identifiable concept and that is impossible.

God cannot be defined because be is infinite. He is beyond nature. He is the intelligence that gives matter it's innate and fundamental order and purpose.

Change your perspective, look at the natural order and intelligence around you in all of its different material and immaterial manifestations. That is merely one facet of God.
Darwin's theory and creationism do not necessarily have to be opposed.

All I have time for at the moment.
Nomadgene is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayetealynn
Mike...How dare you
Since the vote thread was locked down and the above individual's last post was left to stand to me specifically, I feel compelled to respond to the retort this person left.

This forum is an imperfect medium for communication. It rarely ceases to amaze me just how far the jump to erroneous conclusions can be about what a person actually says or was inferred by their words to what was interpreted.

My short bus statement was specific to a person who would make a statement that "there is nothing wrong with 'weed and gay marriage everywhere'."

My, how about be responsible for you own uterus comment ( or penis, for that matter)
was not to control a person's choices but to BE responsible for it and not expect someone else to pick up the tab for your poor choices.

Whether a woman or couple chooses an abortion after the education, knowledge of consequences of unprotected sex and the plethora of inexpensive birth control methods readily available IS none of my business.

What would make it my business is public money from taxes going to pay for abortions because of poor personal choices. BE responsible for it yourself. That is all I was saying.

Same goes with the public assistance to care,
house, clothe, feed and educate those offspring to adulthood because the parents can't afford to.

I am pro-life. That doesn't mean I am out there bombing abortion clinics or picketing. I unfortunately know all too well that there are instances where needless suffering and death can be averted by abortions.

I've been the one risking my life on neonate medevac transports innumerable times fighting through ****ty weather to try to land and take care of a 24 week gestation preemie (full term is 40 weeks) who will need $$$ care the rest if its life. All because the unwed mom & unemployed boyfrend/father chose not to attend the free prenatal care or to used a multitude of drugs (alcohol, tobacco and othrr illicit drugs) during the pregnancy. I've seen the bills that mount in these situations. I know who pays for it. We all do!

I'm finished. I will be much more clear in my posts henceforth. Try not to project your issues onto what I am saying. If it is unclear to you, ask for clarification. Don't infer or conjour.

What Kate answered to was never there.

Last edited by Nomadgene; 11-09-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Nomadgene is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.