Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #1476
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL

Overall how hard would you say the install was and how long did it take you? I seriously doubt my own abilities in installing this myself.
It was easy! Relieve pressure on the tensioner, take the belt off, hold the pulley in place and remove the bolt. Install is the exact reverse. You will need a 22mm for the bolt, a 12 for the two bolts on the fans, and a 14 for the tensioner. I would recommend a second person to remove the bolt for the pulley, I really messed up my back doing it alone haha. It took me no longer than an hour. With a friend I would be surprised if it took you longer than 30 min.

The stock pulley weighs 4.9 lbs. I'll have pics in the morning
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1477
Imprezasport12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317866
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjSub2.0
8000? I bet it would be bluer! I got 5000.
It is I used my phone for the picture and it didn't get the blue very well.
Imprezasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #1478
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
It was easy! Relieve pressure on the tensioner, take the belt off, hold the pulley in place and remove the bolt. Install is the exact reverse. You will need a 22mm for the bolt, a 12 for the two bolts on the fans, and a 14 for the tensioner. I would recommend a second person to remove the bolt for the pulley, I really messed up my back doing it alone haha. It took me no longer than an hour. With a friend I would be surprised if it took you longer than 30 min.

The stock pulley weighs 4.9 lbs. I'll have pics in the morning
Seems easy enough in written text but doing it would be a different story. Most garages should be able to do this, maybe I will just go that route.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #1479
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default






Sorry it took me so long to get some pictures up! I just noticed ill have to clean my rad hose
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #1480
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I just noticed ill have to clean my rad hose
Why?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #1481
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01

Why?
I smashed my knuckle when I finally broke the threads and must have got a little blood on it by the hose clamp lol! I always seem to damage myself whenever I work on a car, but thats half the fun
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1482
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I smashed my knuckle when I finally broke the threads and must have got a little blood on it by the hose clamp lol! I always seem to damage myself whenever I work on a car, but thats half the fun
Detail your engine bay while you're at it. Looks like a tight fit there, for my hand.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #1483
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

So what does a lighter pulley do exactly besides shaving a few pounds off the front of the car?
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #1484
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
So what does a lighter pulley do exactly besides shaving a few pounds off the front of the car?
According to Perrin:

The PERRIN Performance Crank Pulley weighs just 1.2 lbs, which is 4-pounds lighter than the stock OEM crank pulley. This reduction in weight from the crank shaft is equal to removing more than 100 lbs of vehicle weight! Throttle response, horsepower and torque are all increased with this easy to install part.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #1485
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
It was easy! Relieve pressure on the tensioner, take the belt off, hold the pulley in place and remove the bolt. Install is the exact reverse. You will need a 22mm for the bolt, a 12 for the two bolts on the fans, and a 14 for the tensioner. I would recommend a second person to remove the bolt for the pulley, I really messed up my back doing it alone haha. It took me no longer than an hour. With a friend I would be surprised if it took you longer than 30 min.

The stock pulley weighs 4.9 lbs. I'll have pics in the morning
You ordered directly from Perrin?
http://www.perrinperformance.com/sub...a-crank-pulley

Is there anything else that would be required for the installation process? Do we need this install tool? http://www.perrinperformance.com/par...tallation-tool

Last edited by pkL; 11-12-2012 at 04:23 AM.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #1486
arsa13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326909
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Plaines
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Premium
5MT 5-Door Marine Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
You ordered directly from Perrin?
http://www.perrinperformance.com/sub...a-crank-pulley

Is there anything else that would be required for the installation process? Do we need this install tool? http://www.perrinperformance.com/par...tallation-tool
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the tool you need. You may need this one:
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=231

It's also on amazon for a few bucks cheaper.
arsa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1487
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

You don't need the stretch tool because they used an automatic tensioner so to get the belt back on you relieve the tension on the tensioner. You can get them for a good price from infamous performance with nasioc code for cheeper than direct from perrin. The grim speed tool you will need
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #1488
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

quick question for anyone with the headlight armour over fog lights. did light output decrease due to having the yellow flilm over lights. debating getting these but don't want to loose the available light especially in low visibility conditions.

thanks
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1489
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta
quick question for anyone with the headlight armour over fog lights. did light output decrease due to having the yellow flilm over lights. debating getting these but don't want to loose the available light especially in low visibility conditions.

thanks
I have the headlight armor ones. The light is easier to see more with the yellow film
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #1490
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Has anyone heard anything about the axleback from moore?? Im itching for it
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #1491
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I have the headlight armor ones. The light is easier to see more with the yellow film
thanks
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #1492
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
You don't need the stretch tool because they used an automatic tensioner so to get the belt back on you relieve the tension on the tensioner. You can get them for a good price from infamous performance with nasioc code for cheeper than direct from perrin. The grim speed tool you will need
I'm assuming you had bought your pulley from infamous performance, the price is good but shipping is expensive but it's still cheaper than Perrin. I'm also looking on eBay and Amazon, is the part# listed on your package PSPENG101?

So I would need the Grimmspeed crank pulley removal tool (just wondering if I can I make do without? Kind of sucks how it will be only used once) are there any other special tools I would need to purchase beforehand? Thanks.

Last edited by pkL; 11-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #1493
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL

I'm assuming you had bought your pulley from infamous performance, the price is good but shipping is expensive but it's still cheaper than Perrin. I'm also looking on eBay and Amazon, is the part# listed on your package PSPENG101?

So I would need the Grimmspeed crank pulley removal tool (just wondering if I can I make do without? Kind of sucks how it will be only used once) are there any other special tools I would need to purchase beforehand? Thanks.
You can make do without however I would use it anyway. It was strenuous with it so I can't imagine how much harder it would have been without. You will need 2 breaker bars, all the sockets, a half inch ratchet, and a torque wrench. That is the part number
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #1494
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL

I'm assuming you had bought your pulley from infamous performance, the price is good but shipping is expensive but it's still cheaper than Perrin. I'm also looking on eBay and Amazon, is the part# listed on your package PSPENG101?

So I would need the Grimmspeed crank pulley removal tool (just wondering if I can I make do without? Kind of sucks how it will be only used once) are there any other special tools I would need to purchase beforehand? Thanks.
Maybe you can rent a pulley pulling tool at your local auto parts store that would work?
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #1495
mrbloink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333058
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper

Maybe you can rent a pulley pulling tool at your local auto parts store that would work?
I rented one to test it. I actually still have it in my garage, thanks for reminding me! They aren't compatible unfortunately I can take a picture when I get home from work.
mrbloink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #1496
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloink View Post
I rented one to test it. I actually still have it in my garage, thanks for reminding me! They aren't compatible unfortunately I can take a picture when I get home from work.
So you rented a pulley pulling tool which didn't work and ended up buying the grimmspeed one? I pulled the trigger and bought the crank pulley.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #1497
Irongrave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325040
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5door
DMG

Default

Figured I would post and update. 300 miles with out the PZEV mesh filter, no codes, no change in MPG and no seat of the pants improvement with city driving. Until an there is an exhaust option or a none baffled intake tube I'd venture to say there are no gains by removing it.
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #1498
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Good to know. Thanks.
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #1499
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
Figured I would post and update. 300 miles with out the PZEV mesh filter, no codes, no change in MPG and no seat of the pants improvement with city driving. Until an there is an exhaust option or a none baffled intake tube I'd venture to say there are no gains by removing it.
Why did you remove it in the first place?
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #1500
Irongrave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325040
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5door
DMG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Why did you remove it in the first place?
because I could. Some on asked about it a few pages back about it. So I figured I'd remove it and see what happens. You never know unless you try.
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
factory SS or aftermarket for 2012??? Myth21 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 01-07-2012 11:18 AM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-29-2011 11:31 PM
Has anyone test drive a 2012 Impreza yet? pRiMe DiReCtIvE General Community 25 11-28-2011 10:03 PM
Hybrid Impreza in the works for 2012? rsholland News & Rumors 43 03-12-2010 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.