Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #2076
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Scoobie View Post
What kind of fender mods will I be looking at with a 17x9 +25 or +35 offset wheel? On a 08-10 body style sedan With a 235/45 tire.
roll all around, pull depending on height. not to mention the suspension modification needed to get away with minimal fender mods.

both of those offsets are too low for that wheel on the narrowbody.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #2077
Slow Scoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 320464
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Monmouth, NJ
Vehicle:
09 2.S"low"
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life

roll all around, pull depending on height. not to mention the suspension modification needed to get away with minimal fender mods.

both of those offsets are too low for that wheel on the narrowbody.
Thanks for the info man, but I forgot to mention im on coilovers if that affects anything.
Slow Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #2078
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Scoobie View Post
Thanks for the info man, but I forgot to mention im on coilovers if that affects anything.
which means it'll take even more work if you are low.

you'll need rear lower control arms to get enough camber adjustment.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #2079
Slow Scoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 320464
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Monmouth, NJ
Vehicle:
09 2.S"low"
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life

which means it'll take even more work if you are low.

you'll need rear lower control arms to get enough camber adjustment.
You know it lol...Damn im looking at the 17x9 grids, I want to keep the wheel face as concave as possible, but if gonna need to change out control arms I rather get somthing with a higher offset. Whats the lowest offset you think I could get away with to keep the face concave?
Slow Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2080
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Scoobie View Post
You know it lol...Damn im looking at the 17x9 grids, I want to keep the wheel face as concave as possible, but if gonna need to change out control arms I rather get somthing with a higher offset. Whats the lowest offset you think I could get away with to keep the face concave?
the +42 grids have the same face, pretty sure they are offered in 5x100 as well.

You'll still need to roll all around with a 235/40, but should be a little bit more "plug and play".
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #2081
Slow Scoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 320464
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Monmouth, NJ
Vehicle:
09 2.S"low"
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life

the +42 grids have the same face, pretty sure they are offered in 5x100 as well.

You'll still need to roll all around with a 235/40, but should be a little bit more "plug and play".
Thanks for all the help. Luckily though I had all 4 fenders rolled previously for my current wheels. Just the new wheels are 1.5inchs wider with a different offset so I just wanted to consult a knowledgeable person.
Slow Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #2082
GYR0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303517
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd. Sedan
SSM

Default

Looking to pick up some snow tires for my stock '11 WRX:

17" diameter
7" width
5x100
42 offset

With 225/45R17 tires.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Last edited by GYR0; 11-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.
GYR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2083
Suboto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 81981
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon

Default

I could use some help. I'm doing a STI Brembo to 05 WRX wagon swap. The wheels i have are the Rota SDR +53 wagon fitment wheels. Will these wheels work? I've read the wagons have a different hub than the sedans so I'm confused about the offsets. Thanks,
Suboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #2084
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYR0 View Post
Looking to pick up some snow tires for my stock '11 WRX:

17" diameter
7" width
5x100
42 offset

With 225/45R17 tires.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
225 is too wide for those wheels. 205/50/17 and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suboto View Post
I could use some help. I'm doing a STI Brembo to 05 WRX wagon swap. The wheels i have are the Rota SDR +53 wagon fitment wheels. Will these wheels work? I've read the wagons have a different hub than the sedans so I'm confused about the offsets. Thanks,
are you doing ONLY the brembo conversion and keeping the 5x100 hubs? sedan and wagons have identical hubs, but different length arms/links/sways that connect everything.

if you're doing a brake swap, the only thing you need to worry about is if the wheels will clear the brakes. Otherwise they will fit just like they do now.....
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #2085
rallyracersti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147522
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Nap town
Vehicle:
2011 sti
Wrb

Default

i found this website rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
rallyracersti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #2086
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
225 is too wide for those wheels. 205/50/17 and done.
Umm, no.
Perhaps you mis-read what he said, but 225/45 is not too wide for 17x7.

Maybe you just meant it's not preferable because of the advantages of a narrower snow tire. I'd probably prefer the 205/50 for a snow, but 225/45 fits and works just fine

Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #2087
GYR0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303517
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd. Sedan
SSM

Default

Thanks. Would I run into any issues with the wheels fitting? From the info at the beginning of the thread it looks like its outside of the sweet spot..
GYR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #2088
Suboto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 81981
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post



are you doing ONLY the brembo conversion and keeping the 5x100 hubs? sedan and wagons have identical hubs, but different length arms/links/sways that connect everything.

if you're doing a brake swap, the only thing you need to worry about is if the wheels will clear the brakes. Otherwise they will fit just like they do now.....
I am keeping the 5x100 hubs, just adding the brembos. Will a +53 offset wheel clear a bremboed wagon? Im confused over it. Read that the same Rota SDR +53 wheel will not clear a STI sedan but the Rota SDR +48 will. Should I use a 5mm spacer?
Suboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #2089
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio

Umm, no.
Perhaps you mis-read what he said, but 225/45 is not too wide for 17x7.

Maybe you just meant it's not preferable because of the advantages of a narrower snow tire. I'd probably prefer the 205/50 for a snow, but 225/45 fits and works just fine
225 is a bit pinched on that size. Sure it fits, but it ain't ideal.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #2090
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYR0 View Post
Thanks. Would I run into any issues with the wheels fitting? From the info at the beginning of the thread it looks like its outside of the sweet spot..
You have a 3g'rd gen widebody, the info at the start of this thread doesn't really pertain to your car.

I don't know for certain, but I can't imagine +42's with 225's having any issues on a widebody. I have 235's on +45mm wheels without any issues on a narrowbody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
225 is a bit pinched on that size. Sure it fits, but it ain't ideal.
It is certainly at the limit in my book, but it's also the OEM size. *shurg*
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #2091
ryangrz18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316342
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: British Columbia
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i
pearl white

Default

ok guys been reading these forums for a bit now trying my best to
get a clear answer but still not sure. was told from a dealership that
the 045 msr 18x8 5x100 35 offset with 225/40 r18 tires would fit my
2009 impreza 2.5i. no alterations n hoping not to. is this gonna work?
thnx. ryan
ryangrz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #2092
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

My understanding is that you could (would?) rub in the rear with that setup. Might depend on what tires you went with. I'm not sure, You might want to ask around in the 08-10 narrow body wheel thread.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #2093
ryangrz18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316342
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: British Columbia
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i
pearl white

Default

ok thnx
ryangrz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2094
GYR0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303517
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd. Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio

You have a 3g'rd gen widebody, the info at the start of this thread doesn't really pertain to your car.

I don't know for certain, but I can't imagine +42's with 225's having any issues on a widebody. I have 235's on +45mm wheels without any issues on a narrowbody.

It is certainly at the limit in my book, but it's also the OEM size. *shurg*
Awesome. Thanks for the info!
GYR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #2095
Afrobandit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322141
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Wilmington, DE
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WR Blue

Default

I have the 2012 wrx, my winter wheels i just bought are 215/60/R16 wheels from a forester. My stock rims say 52 (instead of the expected 53) on the backside of the rim. So I have a 17x7 (offset +52 or +53) and i am switching to a 16x6.5 with a +48 offset. I dont appear to have any rubbing issues, but does this sit savy with the wheel bearings, or is that stressing them to much?
Afrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #2096
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobandit
I have the 2012 wrx, my winter wheels i just bought are 215/60/R16 wheels from a forester. My stock rims say 52 (instead of the expected 53) on the backside of the rim. So I have a 17x7 (offset +52 or +53) and i am switching to a 16x6.5 with a +48 offset. I dont appear to have any rubbing issues, but does this sit savy with the wheel bearings, or is that stressing them to much?
That'll be really close to the spring perch....
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #2097
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Ruffly .6" an inch taller then stock... Certainly is a pretty tall tire.
With them being narrower and a few mm's farther out on offset. Tuff to say on the spring perch as sc00by said.

Though there is no need to worry about the wheel bearings.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #2098
Afrobandit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322141
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Wilmington, DE
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WR Blue

Default

thanks guys!
Afrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #2099
subi21
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338346
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx
White

Default

I have a stock suspension 2010 wrx and was looking at getting some 18x8 or 9.5 with a 35mm offset. Would It fit as of now? I'm looking at lowering it one some teins in the near future.
subi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #2100
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi21 View Post
I have a stock suspension 2010 wrx and was looking at getting some 18x8 or 9.5 with a 35mm offset. Would It fit as of now? I'm looking at lowering it one some teins in the near future.
those are some big differences. and you didn't list offsets. or desired tire size.

stock suspension? you wont get 18x9.5's to work without some form of fender modification or stupid stretch (which looks retarded if you arent fender on rim low).

research more. seriously. you need to.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I read the Offset thread... Dracon Tire & Wheel 6 11-18-2012 04:39 AM
The Hella Flush Information Thread Impreza2.5i-Kid Tire & Wheel 16 08-23-2010 08:33 AM
The end all 6 speed swap information thread DS1 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 156 11-14-2009 08:21 PM
Can we correct "The Offset Information Thread"? Portly Tire & Wheel 15 02-25-2006 06:48 PM
The Header Information Thread imposter Normally Aspirated Powertrain 315 04-25-2003 02:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.