Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #3976
Mr. Sociable
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176200
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
1991 BMW 318is
Sort of Red

Default

My BRZ got lemon law'd and I miss the capability of my 4Runner. Thinking about picking up an '05-'06 Wrangler Unlimited, not sure about Rubicon or not.

Guy down the street has this:




Asking 21k, He owes 19k, which is as low as he'll go. Teraflex springs/shocks, 32's Duratracs. Painted hardtop, otherwise stock. 54k miles. Is that a good price?


What can I expect to pay for one of these things? Seems like they're anywhere from 13k for a dumpy one to 22k for a clean Rubi. What's fair? Anything to look for?

I'm thinking a Rubi is overkill for a DD with the occasional weekend trip, but the car guy in me WANTS it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Mr. Sociable; 11-19-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Mr. Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #3977
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable
My BRZ got lemon law'd and I miss the capability of my 4Runner. Thinking about picking up an '05-'06 Wrangler Unlimited, not sure about Rubicon or not.

Guy down the street has this:

Asking 21k, He owes 19k, which is as low as he'll go. Teraflex springs/shocks, 32's Duratracs. Painted hardtop, otherwise stock. 54k miles. Is that a good price?

What can I expect to pay for one of these things? Seems like they're anywhere from 13k for a dumpy one to 22k for a clean Rubi. What's fair? Anything to look for?

I'm thinking a Rubi is overkill for a DD with the occasional weekend trip, but the car guy in me WANTS it.
I don't know, I have trouble with paying that much when you can get a brand new JK for the same price.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #3978
PGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57283
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Loudoun
Vehicle:
2014 4.7L of TT Fury
w/ 4Matic

Default

no kidding. the TJ vs. JK is no contest, especially with the new interior, motor, etc.
PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #3979
Hypernoodle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12391
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: YER.MOMS.A.HAIKU.AND.HERES.WHY
Vehicle:
I did her 5 times
then 7 times, then 5 more

Default

I'm the wrong person to ask. I spent 2k on a 20-year-old Wrangler, and dropped 6k into it to make a superjeep
Hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #3980
Benhart21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149617
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boulder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable View Post
My BRZ got lemon law'd
¿Qué? The one that you listed as sold on pirates?
Benhart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #3981
Mr. Sociable
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176200
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
1991 BMW 318is
Sort of Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
no kidding. the TJ vs. JK is no contest, especially with the new interior, motor, etc.
Even over a TJ Rubi? I guess I had somewhat talked myself out of a JK because I've heard bad (or meh) things about the 3.8 and because honestly, I like the look of a TJ better. Maybe I'll have to go drive one...four doors would be nice...
Mr. Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #3982
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable

Even over a TJ Rubi? I guess I had somewhat talked myself out of a JK because I've heard bad (or meh) things about the 3.8 and because honestly, I like the look of a TJ better. Maybe I'll have to go drive one...four doors would be nice...
I just got rid of my 2011 with the 3.8, the 2012 with the 3.6 is heavenly to drive. If you like the look of a TJ, so be it. I personally can't spend the same amount of money for a vehicle with 50,000+ miles on it, when I can get one brand new for the same price with more power and a better interior.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #3983
AWDspider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43748
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable View Post
Even over a TJ Rubi? I guess I had somewhat talked myself out of a JK because I've heard bad (or meh) things about the 3.8 and because honestly, I like the look of a TJ better. Maybe I'll have to go drive one...four doors would be nice...
the jk is better in almost every aspect, especially with the new 3.6l. if you are dead set on a tj, i have a rubi for sale. im asking about 12.5k for it. about 60k on the odo.
AWDspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #3984
Sideshowbob
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50304
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Smalbany NY
Vehicle:
97 TJ, 04 Matrix
XR70R, 03 Gas Gas 250

Default

Sideshowbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #3985
Slow5oh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70698
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: If you think this is slow
Vehicle:
wait until I go
up a hill...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshowbob View Post
poser.jpg
Nice!

Everything still ok with that pitman arm issue you were having a while back?
Slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #3986
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernoodle View Post
Comanche's what?

Comanche's reliability?
Comanche's weight capacity?
Comanche's wheelability?

Reliability mostly. From what I understand the front half is pretty much a Cherokee while the rear half is parts binned.

Weight capacity is small concern (mostly would haul fishing gear, dead animals, firewood, car parts etc...) Towing is a consideration as I would like to get another camper at some point (~2k give or take)

Wheelability is small concern, I doubt I would even lift it. Likely throw on a set of stock or perhaps slightly plus sized AT's and call it a day.

My folks Cherokee with the 4.0 was a ****ing tank, I assume the 4.0 is the same unit. I would not go with any other engine. Now that I think about it, my folks did have an issue with the transfer case as well.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #3987
K Dub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210438
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Come at me, bro
Vehicle:
2012 Jeep
Wrangler Rubicon 4D

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
Reliability mostly. From what I understand the front half is pretty much a Cherokee while the rear half is parts binned.

Weight capacity is small concern (mostly would haul fishing gear, dead animals, firewood, car parts etc...) Towing is a consideration as I would like to get another camper at some point (~2k give or take)

Wheelability is small concern, I doubt I would even lift it. Likely throw on a set of stock or perhaps slightly plus sized AT's and call it a day.

My folks Cherokee with the 4.0 was a ****ing tank, I assume the 4.0 is the same unit. I would not go with any other engine. Now that I think about it, my folks did have an issue with the transfer case as well.
Correct. Same 4.0 iron tank engine. Same AW4 bulletproof trans. Hell, it's even got the same T-case (231) and the entire front/front suspension is identical.

Reliability wise, the MJ will be EXACTLY the same as an XJ. The biggest problem is finding them because they have a tendency to rust when poorly taken care of, as like most pickups they are used hard and not cleaned that often.

The main difference, aside from the body, is that the rear is spring under instead of spring over, I believe. Or vice versa, it's been a while since I've owned an XJ. And they are more likely to have a D44 rear than comparable XJ's are.
K Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3988
dwx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8343
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer View Post
It took the folks at Gobi four hours to install the rack. They ran into issue after issue.

It did turn out great though:
My wife and I installed it in our driveway in about 3 hours.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #3989
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Just ordered my Ace rock rails.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #3990
Hypernoodle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12391
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: YER.MOMS.A.HAIKU.AND.HERES.WHY
Vehicle:
I did her 5 times
then 7 times, then 5 more

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dub View Post
Correct. Same 4.0 iron tank engine. Same AW4 bulletproof trans. Hell, it's even got the same T-case (231) and the entire front/front suspension is identical.

Reliability wise, the MJ will be EXACTLY the same as an XJ. The biggest problem is finding them because they have a tendency to rust when poorly taken care of, as like most pickups they are used hard and not cleaned that often.

The main difference, aside from the body, is that the rear is spring under instead of spring over, I believe. Or vice versa, it's been a while since I've owned an XJ. And they are more likely to have a D44 rear than comparable XJ's are.
The first-year ones had a few different motors, including the iron duke and a little turbodiesel. I think that was '86. Screw the first-years and stay with the 4.0 ones.

The rear is spring-under, so if you go to lift it, it's as easy as doing a spring-over conversion in the rear. There were some heavier-duty ones made (I forget the package name) that came with a 44 in the rear and heavy-duty springs.

If you find one with a good condition body... get it! If the drivetrain is in need of replacement, it's easy as hell to do.
Hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #3991
K Dub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210438
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Come at me, bro
Vehicle:
2012 Jeep
Wrangler Rubicon 4D

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernoodle View Post
The first-year ones had a few different motors, including the iron duke and a little turbodiesel. I think that was '86. Screw the first-years and stay with the 4.0 ones.

The rear is spring-under, so if you go to lift it, it's as easy as doing a spring-over conversion in the rear. There were some heavier-duty ones made (I forget the package name) that came with a 44 in the rear and heavy-duty springs.

If you find one with a good condition body... get it! If the drivetrain is in need of replacement, it's easy as hell to do.
Agreed. The 2.8L and 2.5L are turds. The poster did specify that he would only be getting a 4.0L so I left that part out
K Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #3992
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Can anyone recommend a quality stubby bumper that doesn't cost $Texas?
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #3993
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

So basically the Comanche gets the OT seal of approval.

Cars don't really rust much out here, we are below the snow line and far enough from the coast. The problem is finding one, craplist shows 5 in my general area. No reall big deal, I don't need a truck so I can take my time and find a clean one. Mechanical does not scare me off, rust OTOH.......
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #3994
Joe Boxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 63119
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Within Binding
Vehicle:
** Memoirs of a
Serial Bachelor**

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
Can anyone recommend a quality stubby bumper that doesn't cost $Texas?
What's $Texas to you?
Joe Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #3995
MidnightSti05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 74064
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer View Post
Pictures of the rack post-install (same night):



I have one from Sunday morning... I'll post it when Photobucket editor starts to cooperate.
Does your rear wiper still work? And can you see anything out of the rear
MidnightSti05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #3996
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer

What's $Texas to you?
$$$AEV.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #3997
Damon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2902
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Nederland TX USA
Vehicle:
89 gmc work truck
08 jeep rubicon unlimited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
Can anyone recommend a quality stubby bumper that doesn't cost $Texas?
you just bought their rails... why not ace? thier stuff is effing solid and priced right.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #3998
Joe Boxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 63119
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Within Binding
Vehicle:
** Memoirs of a
Serial Bachelor**

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
$$$AEV.
AEV doesn't make a stubby bumper.

99% of stubby bumpers are going to be $400-$800. Are you wanting to stay in the lower end of that range?
Joe Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #3999
AWDspider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43748
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
Can anyone recommend a quality stubby bumper that doesn't cost $Texas?
Ace, smittybilt, rancho, rugged ridge are the first to come to mind
AWDspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #4000
Slow5oh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70698
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: If you think this is slow
Vehicle:
wait until I go
up a hill...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
you just bought their rails... why not ace? thier stuff is effing solid and priced right.
This.

Their stubby bumper looks really good and is a decent price as well.
Slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
with all the gay and straight threads [27] Off-Topic 27 05-08-2013 06:31 PM
the Official Rally/Off-Road thread? Longitude Member's Car Gallery 178 09-05-2006 05:39 PM
Why all the bestiality and dehydration threads today??? Grap Off-Topic 15 01-11-2006 03:55 PM
this site is dwindling (aka: The piss and moan thread v.2) stevedood Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 59 04-01-2004 12:38 AM
A lazy monday thread...A continuation of the saturday and sunday thread DoctorNick Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 9 09-10-2002 08:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.