Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Angry Stupid Curbs!

Does anyone know where I can find a touch-up paint that matches the grey Sport rims for a 12+ Impreza?

I went to park in front of my girlfriend's house earlier tonight and tried to get as close as possilbe to the curb because it's a narrow street. For some reason I have a difficult time judging the width of this car and I ended up kissing the curb with my front passenger side rim. I heard the gut-wrenching scrape and ran out to see some nice curb rash on the rim. Needless to say, I'm super pissed at myself and want to fix the blemish as soon as possible.

Any help is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Bababou
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280689
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, Az
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Impreza
Newport blue

Default

Dr. Paint chip would be a good place to start. If you can get a paint code they can match it.
Bababou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
the_dog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 287417
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt Lmt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL
I don't think that is for the Sport wheels. A while back someone posted the same question. They ended up hitting a dead end after contacting Subaru for the paint code. You could ask your dealer for the information of the person who does their wheel repairs. You should be able to get it fixed to near perfection for around $100, and they will be able to match the color.

Once Discount Tire damaged one of my wheels when installing tires. They sent the wheel off to the repair facility they use and it was refinished and looked good as new. Another option for you, albeit more expensive.
the_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog
...You could ask your dealer for the information of the person who does their wheel repairs. You should be able to get it fixed to near perfection for around $100, and they will be able to match the color.
Think I may go this route. I'd rather spend the extra $ to have it done right and to make sure the color is an exact match. Guess I'll give my dealer a call on Mon.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dog View Post
I don't think that is for the Sport wheels. A while back someone posted the same question. They ended up hitting a dead end after contacting Subaru for the paint code. You could ask your dealer for the information of the person who does their wheel repairs. You should be able to get it fixed to near perfection for around $100, and they will be able to match the color.

Once Discount Tire damaged one of my wheels when installing tires. They sent the wheel off to the repair facility they use and it was refinished and looked good as new. Another option for you, albeit more expensive.
Were they low profile tires? I have asked a lot of shops about mounting them and they were all quite reluctant, stating that if they damage or scratch my rims they're not liable for it.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
von Wachtstain
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 52726
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CT, USA
Default

It's so weird because most use touch less mounting machines.
von Wachtstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
the_dog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 287417
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt Lmt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL
Were they low profile tires? I have asked a lot of shops about mounting them and they were all quite reluctant, stating that if they damage or scratch my rims they're not liable for it.
They weren't low profile, it was a Pathfinder with sizable side walls. The scratches were on the spokes, not sure how they happened but I knew they weren't there before.
the_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Wachtstain View Post
It's so weird because most use touch less mounting machines.
I would assume so but a lot of places won't even touch 18s with low profile tires; hence, why my 18s and tires are still not mounted.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
von Wachtstain
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 52726
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CT, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL

I would assume so but a lot of places won't even touch 18s with low profile tires; hence, why my 18s and tires are still not mounted.
My advice go to any smaller service shop. A lot of times mechanics are allowed to work on their own cars after hours. Slip a guy $20-40 and he will do it and with care so no scratches. At least that is how it works around here.
von Wachtstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Wachtstain View Post
My advice go to any smaller service shop. A lot of times mechanics are allowed to work on their own cars after hours. Slip a guy $20-40 and he will do it and with care so no scratches. At least that is how it works around here.
Sounds like a plan, now I just got to find one of these shops. Thanks.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Bababou
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280689
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, Az
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Impreza
Newport blue

Default

Do you have discount tire in your area, I have never had issues with them mounting low profile tires. Like someone said before the machine should never touch the face of the rim so it should not matter. Damage is normally caused by stupid techs not bothering to pay attention.
Bababou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababou View Post
Do you have discount tire in your area, I have never had issues with them mounting low profile tires. Like someone said before the machine should never touch the face of the rim so it should not matter. Damage is normally caused by stupid techs not bothering to pay attention.
Is this them? http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Seems like the closest one to me is in Bellingham, WA. Thanks.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
bombeater
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339070
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

This happened to me too... only disadvantage to the stylish underspoiler option. You have to be careful in parking lots, too, since some of the concrete separators are at just the right height to ruin your day.
bombeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Bababou
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280689
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, Az
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Impreza
Newport blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Is this them? http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Seems like the closest one to me is in Bellingham, WA. Thanks.

Thats them.
Bababou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababou View Post
Thats them.
Thanks, I'll be sure to give them a visit soon.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombeater View Post
This happened to me too... only disadvantage to the stylish underspoiler option. You have to be careful in parking lots, too, since some of the concrete separators are at just the right height to ruin your day.
With my underspoiler installed now, I'm super careful when parking, it makes me paranoid.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
monskie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341767
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

cool need some touch up paint too. thanks
monskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.