Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #3101
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Crosstrek XV Diesel will be announced on the 32nd day of February in the US Domestic market.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3102
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
Crosstrek XV Diesel will be announced on the 32nd day of February in the US Domestic market.
Agreed.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #3103
redhedraz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339071
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

wazzzzup
redhedraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #3104
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

SOA Blog,

Can you PLEASE explain why the USDM 2014 Forester's towing capacity varies so wildly from the JDM and Australian versions?

Apparently this seems to be on-going from previous model years. Can Americans just not be trusted with towing anything significant these days?

Same with the Crosstrek and Impreza. Across the line the models seem to be getting weaker concerning their towing, despite models before them having significant towing capabilities. Even the GD WRX STI had towing capabilities, from what I can recall of the manual, which stated that the headlights were adjustable for when items were being towed, causing the back end to possibly lower, causing the headlights to raise and their needing to be adjusted lower on-the-fly.

Of course, the BRZ has adjustable headlights and it DEFINITELY doesn't assert itself as a towing machine. The manual says it's for when there's load in the car itself.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #3105
Cocoa Beach Bum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17355
Join Date: Apr 2002
Default

SOA Blog, I've another trademark nit to pick. All of the Subaru and FHI announcements about the new Forester have used the expression "X-mode" in written descriptions. This might be a problem. That is because FHI has nurtured a trademark application in the US for the expression "XMODE" to the doorstep of becoming a registered trademark (see http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85...e=statusSearch). All FHI needs to do is prove that XMODE is being used as a mark in commerce in the US in order to obtain the registration. Notice the absence of a hyphen in FHI's trademark application. Allow me to suggest that in the future, FHI and SOA should refer to this new traction control system as XMODE or XMODE (notice the absence of the hyphen).

Last edited by Cocoa Beach Bum; 12-05-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Cocoa Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #3106
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
SOA Blog,

Can you PLEASE explain why the USDM 2014 Forester's towing capacity varies so wildly from the JDM and Australian versions?

Apparently this seems to be on-going from previous model years. Can Americans just not be trusted with towing anything significant these days?

Same with the Crosstrek and Impreza. Across the line the models seem to be getting weaker concerning their towing, despite models before them having significant towing capabilities. Even the GD WRX STI had towing capabilities, from what I can recall of the manual, which stated that the headlights were adjustable for when items were being towed, causing the back end to possibly lower, causing the headlights to raise and their needing to be adjusted lower on-the-fly.

Of course, the BRZ has adjustable headlights and it DEFINITELY doesn't assert itself as a towing machine. The manual says it's for when there's load in the car itself.
Sorry Chan we have tabled the question and are waiting an answer.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #3107
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
Sorry Chan we have tabled the question and are waiting an answer.
Yes! Replied to mine before Cocoa's question!

Thanks. There are some interesting theories out there about hauling enforcement in America versus the rest of the world, but a lot of us are curious about Subaru's official reasoning. I doubt it's anything sinister.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #3108
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Ok - here's the official answer: retaining the existing towing capability required extra cooling capacity, which added significant cost to the vehicle. After considering the towing capacity of competitors (typically 1500lbs) we developed the US version to tow to that level. The Outback has greater cooling capacity and as a result, the towing weight limit is greater.

In Australia, towing is much more common with this class of vehicle. As such, FHI equipped Foresters for that market with the additional cooling capacity, giving them a higher trailer weight limit. HTH.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #3109
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited
05 LGT (98 LGT, 88 Justy)

Default

So maybe SOA should offer a larger radiator as part of the towing package (along with the transmission cooler)?
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #3110
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
So maybe SOA should offer a larger radiator as part of the towing package (along with the transmission cooler)?
Trust Sub!eDr!ver to always come up with money-making schemes to milk the little guy for more mo-... Wait, no, that's actually a good idea

The parts would already be available - make it an option and charge people if they want it.
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #3111
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Thank you, SOA Blog! I'll be sure to spread the word. Your research is appreciated.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #3112
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited
05 LGT (98 LGT, 88 Justy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticus View Post
Trust Sub!eDr!ver to always come up with money-making schemes to milk the little guy for more mo-... Wait, no, that's actually a good idea

The parts would already be available - make it an option and charge people if they want it.


I had the dealer install the towing package on my Tribeca when I bought it, including the tranny cooler. I probably would have sprung for a bigger radiator if it boosted the towing capacity to 5000 lbs. (current w/ tranny cooler is 3500 lbs).
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #3113
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

SOA Blog -
Any sales goals for the 14th Baktun? By my calculations, even if sales flatten, you're on pace for 130,105,800 sales this Baktun, totally blowing out of the water the 13th Baktun's US sales total of approx 6,000,030 units.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #3114
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepclam View Post
SOA Blog -
Any sales goals for the 14th Baktun? By my calculations, even if sales flatten, you're on pace for 130,105,800 sales this Baktun, totally blowing out of the water the 13th Baktun's US sales total of approx 6,000,030 units.
You make a good point. Also, if the apocalypse does hit in the 14th Baktun, I only see AWD vehicles becoming more important as massive earthquakes cause far bigger rocky upheavals. A/C will probably also be important when driving near/around molten lava. Focus on these, and you'll be golden.
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3115
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticus View Post
You make a good point. Also, if the apocalypse does hit in the 14th Baktun, I only see AWD vehicles becoming more important as massive earthquakes cause far bigger rocky upheavals. A/C will probably also be important when driving near/around molten lava. Focus on these, and you'll be golden.
Just need a tire cooling system to drive over the lava. SPT has one in development. Based on the Top Gear Iceland model.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #3116
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
Just need a tire cooling system to drive over the lava. SPT has one in development. Based on the Top Gear Iceland model.
Standard in the Crosstrek "End Of The World" edition?
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #3117
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

SOA Blog,

Why do the parts and accessories and standard brochures for the current WRX/STI still showcase a 2011 WRX/STI with black headlight housings? Does Subaru agree that the chrome housings are terrible and wish they still produced the black housing headlights to help keep the cars looking aggressive?

On Subaru.com I see all of the same pics that were used for the 2011 WRX/STI have the headlights switched to chrome, so on your sight they're advertised correctly. Just yesterday in the aftermarket parts catalog at my local dealership I did see black housing headlights on the car on the front cover.

I don't think we ever got official word of WHY the headlights were changed to chrome. People speculated changing standards, but then the 2013 Legacy/Outback/BRZ all come with black housings.

Thanks!

- Chano
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3118
laufu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29826
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
13 Legacy 3.6R
Deep Indigo Pearl

Default

Hello SOA Blog

I recently added puddle lights to my 2013 Subaru Legacy because I like the ones on my wife's 2008 Tribeca. Two questions:

1. Does the puddle light recall (WQE-41) also include vehicles that had the puddle lights added on as a the dealer installed accessory?

2. Since the recall does not include the 2013's, can I assume I only need to worry about the Tribeca?


Kevin
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #3119
derkahn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 123160
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: denver
Vehicle:
05 obxt
bnr 20g e-85 wagon

Default

SOA Blog
-Please give us some sort of teaser on new wrx /sti other than " it will appeal to enthusiasts"

-please allow us to give SOA $..meaning.. offer it and see what happens...
-I want headlight washers as an option/ ill pay
-I want recaro seats as an option/ ill pay
derkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #3120
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkahn View Post
SOA Blog
-Please give us some sort of teaser on new wrx /sti other than " it will appeal to enthusiasts"

-please allow us to give SOA $..meaning.. offer it and see what happens...
-I want headlight washers as an option/ ill pay
-I want recaro seats as an option/ ill pay
Post this here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2#post38829112

SOA Blog can't discuss future models.
cannedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #3121
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufu View Post
Hello SOA Blog

I recently added puddle lights to my 2013 Subaru Legacy because I like the ones on my wife's 2008 Tribeca. Two questions:

1. Does the puddle light recall (WQE-41) also include vehicles that had the puddle lights added on as a the dealer installed accessory?

2. Since the recall does not include the 2013's, can I assume I only need to worry about the Tribeca?


Kevin
Hello Kevin - yes on both counts. Sorry for the inconvenience.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #3122
laufu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29826
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
13 Legacy 3.6R
Deep Indigo Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
Hello Kevin - yes on both counts. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you for the reply, SOA Blog.

Two more questions, I just read that future 2013 Legacies/Outbacks with the NAV option, will get Starlink. Can you provide more information on how Starlink works?

Is this a brand new NAV unit or is it just a software update?

If it is software update, can current 2013 Legacies/OBs with NAV be upgraded/retrofited with Starlink?

Kevin
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #3123
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufu View Post
Thank you for the reply, SOA Blog.

Two more questions, I just read that future 2013 Legacies/Outbacks with the NAV option, will get Starlink. Can you provide more information on how Starlink works?

Is this a brand new NAV unit or is it just a software update?

If it is software update, can current 2013 Legacies/OBs with NAV be upgraded/retrofited with Starlink?

Kevin
Starlink is an umbrella term for our connectivity technologies such as Aha Radio and Eyesight. We'll add to that list over time but we wanted to give the suite a recognizeable name - hence Starlink. If your car is Aha capable then you really have Starlink right now.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #3124
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Thanks for providing us with an "Aha moment" regarding Starlink.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3125
laufu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29826
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
13 Legacy 3.6R
Deep Indigo Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
Starlink is an umbrella term for our connectivity technologies such as Aha Radio and Eyesight. We'll add to that list over time but we wanted to give the suite a recognizeable name - hence Starlink. If your car is Aha capable then you really have Starlink right now.
Thank You SOA Blog.

How do I know if my 2013 Legacy's Nav System is Aha capable? I assume it is not, since I briefly glanced at the Navigation's owners manual and it makes no mention of Aha anywhere.

Kevin

PS Just thinking out loud;

Starlink....Subaru...7 Sisters...

Aha Radio and Eyesight, that's 2. Can I assume we will see 5 more new technologies for Subaru's Starlink in the near future?
laufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM goes for hip with shotgun blog NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 5 01-31-2007 07:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.