Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
BoardRider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32059
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT sedan
CBR600, WR400, Z50R

Default Dome Light Issue - Illuminate With Door Locks (Remote) But Not When Door is Opened...

Wiring question here...

I installed some puddle lights on my car (97 Legacy GT with the factory alarm module) last weekend and I tapped into the dome light loop on my alarm module. Right before wrapping the wires I inadvertently touched the wires together and it sparked a little and smelled, but the lights still work and my fuses look good.

After putting everything back together and testing it out everything seemed to work fine. The lights (dome and puddle) come on when I unlock the doors with the remote or turn the engine off, and the lights go off when I lock the doors with the remote or turn the engine on. But then I noticed that after the alarm module times out, the lights (dome and puddle) go off, even if a door is open. And they don't come on when the car is running and the door is opened either.

So basically, everything works when the ground is triggered by the alarm module, but not when the module times out and it's back to "normal" mode. It seems like some ground might be missing now for the normal operation mode for the dome light. I'm pretty sure it happened when I sparked the wires, but I don't know what to check.

Any ideas? Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BoardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

There's a black-box that is located under the dash on the driver's side. It is to the left of or center to the steering column and is below it. If you were on your back, you can look up and see it.

This is the Integrated Module. This is what allows for the interior dome light to turn-on, whether by opening/closing a door or when using the key-fob and of course it provides the time-out and eventual shutdown function.

Have you tried the other doors?

If it sparked a little, and you smelled something, but no fuses blew, more-than-likely you cooked something. Not inspring at all, to say-the-least.

I would disconnect your wiring and effectively return everything to stock and the start from there.

FWIW, I installed a pair of puddle-lights, but for my interior along either side of the drive-shaft tunnel to illuminate the floors up front on either side.

I hooked the power into a direct source at the fuse-box/relay-block and then I tapped into the ground that comes from the dome/map lights and goes directly into the Integrated Module, nearest the IM.

Good luck!
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
BoardRider
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT sedan
CBR600, WR400, Z50R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
There's a black-box that is located under the dash...
Thanks Big-E. I used that box to find the right pins to tap into. Unfortunately, if I shorted something inside the box, it would be a PITA to find. I would prefer to check the easier-to-access culprits first...

Does anyone know if there's a relay somewhere in-line for the dome light door switch door switch?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
TigerJK37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233682
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Is There A Part Number For This Black Box???
TigerJK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
BoardRider
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT sedan
CBR600, WR400, Z50R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJK37 View Post
Is There A Part Number For This Black Box???
I'm not sure, but it looks like this (and it's under the dash, just forward of the hood release pull-tab):

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
BoardRider
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT sedan
CBR600, WR400, Z50R

So does anyone have any other ideas? Does anyone know if there's a relay somewhere in-line for the dome-light door switch?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
BoardRider
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT sedan
CBR600, WR400, Z50R

Anyone?

Issue summary: Post-mod, my dome light comes on when I unlock the doors with the remote or turn the engine off, and the lights go off when I lock the doors with the remote or turn the engine on. But they don't come on when the car is running and a door is opened.

So everything works when the ground is triggered by the alarm module, but not when the module times out and it's back to "normal" mode. It seems like some ground might be missing now for the normal operation mode for the dome light. I'm pretty sure it happened when I sparked the wires, but I don't know what to check.