Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #14701
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
Just food for thought here, so take it FWIW. The wheel bearings on cars these days are $$$. Changing the offset can create side loads that the bearing was not designed to have, which could cause premature wear.

Please do whatever you like. It is no skin off my nose. Just giving you something to consider.

John
this is very true. but, food for thought, does that mean everyone who has ever put afftermarket rims on their cars with different offset, and we are talking about every single make and model, has blown their wheel bearing? does the wheels cause premature ware? yes, obviously. will the bearings fail in 5K, 20K, 100K miles? i havent seen it to be the main cause. for example, i have own my s2000 for a very very long time and i have gotten to know the owners of other s2000, some with aftermarket wheels. the rear wheel bearings ware out and has to be replaced eventually. i have heard of people with and without aftermarket wheels replacing the rear wheel bearings, but i have never heard of people replacing the front wheel bears, EVER.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #14702
pistolp1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333268
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5dr Ltd
DGM

Default

So i just picked up my 2013 5dr limited yesterday and I got suckered into the 6yr/100k warranty with road hazard tire replacement( replace all tires if one goes) and 3yr/36k prepaid service contract for $2800. Am I a sucker? Should I try to cancel?
pistolp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #14703
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

I got suckered into it too. I kept it. Looking back I probably should have opted out. But gives a little peace of mind maybe.
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #14704
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I hate extended warranties. In fact, I hate the insurance industry in general. So I opted out.

Do whatever lets you sleep at night. I sleep just fine knowing that I bought a reliable brand of car, and still have $2800 in the bank.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #14705
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Well since I got the extednded warrantee, it lowered my apr. And calculated out after interest, lower apr with ext warr vs. higher interest w/o ext warr the difference was 1200 i think. So I just look at it that way.

I dont remeber how much the ext warrantee was, but the finance guy lowered it after seeing i was gonna say no.

Oh and congrats to pistolp1!
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #14706
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

I did it too. I don't know why. I don't have a lot of experience with Subaru, but other car brands have made me think its a good idea.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #14707
pistolp1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333268
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5dr Ltd
DGM

Default

yeah they lowered my apr down to 1.34% as well after I said no. But its all a game, added a couple months of payments so it balances out. I just switched over from volvo xc90, so I'm downsizing and saving $ on gas and maintance costs....
pistolp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #14708
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolp1 View Post
yeah they lowered my apr down to 1.34% as well after I said no. But its all a game, added a couple months of payments so it balances out. I just switched over from volvo xc90, so I'm downsizing and saving $ on gas and maintance costs....
They got me with that gimmick too. My APR is about 1% higher than yours, but still added a few months payment. I came from a paid off 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It's nice having a car that works, but what am I going to do with all these tools that I bought to fix the old one on a monthly basis? Also I'm saving about a gallon of gas per day on my commute, so that adds up.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #14709
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
I came from a paid off 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It's nice having a car that works, but what am I going to do with all these tools that I bought to fix the old one on a monthly basis? Also I'm saving about a gallon of gas per day on my commute, so that adds up.
sounds like my 1997.5 Regal. but i still drive it a few days a week
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #14710
3rdSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295513
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. George, Utah
Vehicle:
2012 Imp Prem Hatch
Camellia Red Pearl

Default

Common sense warning:

If you accidentally leave a map light on and don't drive for a week, your battery goes dead. Duh. And Dang. I thought this car was doing all my thinking for me. I guess not quite.
3rdSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #14711
von Wachtstain
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 52726
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CT, USA
Default

Coming from Toyota I like how Subarus don't automatically lock doors once you start rolling.
von Wachtstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #14712
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338666
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northeast Ohio
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Premium
Dark Grey Metalic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
this is very true. but, food for thought, does that mean everyone who has ever put afftermarket rims on their cars with different offset, and we are talking about every single make and model, has blown their wheel bearing?

Of course not.


does the wheels cause premature ware? yes, obviously. will the bearings fail in 5K, 20K, 100K miles? i havent seen it to be the main cause.

I agree.


for example, i have own my s2000 for a very very long time and i have gotten to know the owners of other s2000, some with aftermarket wheels. the rear wheel bearings ware out and has to be replaced eventually. i have heard of people with and without aftermarket wheels replacing the rear wheel bearings, but i have never heard of people replacing the front wheel bears, EVER.
I know a couple who have, and they are expensive. But, you are correct, I cannot say it was entirely the fault of the wheels. As I said, simply food for thought. If I were going to put a set of rims on a newer car these days, I would add width to both sides of the rim equally. An inch wider on the outside and an inch wider on the inside, and so on. That way, the offset remains the same, but that is just me.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #14713
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited
05 LGT (98 LGT, 88 Justy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Wachtstain View Post
Coming from Toyota I like how Subarus don't automatically lock doors once you start rolling.
I really like that too - the nanny state has not invaded Subaru (at least with the auto-locking doors).
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #14714
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
I know a couple who have, and they are expensive. But, you are correct, I cannot say it was entirely the fault of the wheels. As I said, simply food for thought. If I were going to put a set of rims on a newer car these days, I would add width to both sides of the rim equally. An inch wider on the outside and an inch wider on the inside, and so on. That way, the offset remains the same, but that is just me.

John
Agreed. But lol an inch on either side is 2 inched increase, obviously. Now a 2.0 impreza with a 9 inch wide wheel that would look nuts. Haha. But I get what you are saying. Wheeling bearing failure shouldn't really be a deciding factor on buying rims, sorta. Like our rims looks like a +48. If I buy aftermarket wheels wit +45 then that is kinda fine and won't stress too much. But day a +20 or something retarded, will proprably effect it more.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #14715
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Anyone have any DIY for small door dings that actually work?

Rude ass big truck parked next to me croooked and left me with about 4 inches of space to get in and a door ding.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #14716
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

sure, i usually fix it with a knife to the tire side wall of the opposing vehicle. just kidding. not really, pay 75 bucks to a body shop. there is a guy locally that with spray touch up paint around the whole car for 65 bucks. comes in handy doing alot of freeway miles.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #14717
Biggamejames747
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322720
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Had a nail in my right passenger side tire that the mechanics caught when I took my '12 impreza in for its 7500 mi maintenance. Dealership said they couldn't repair because of the location and ordered one tire covered warranty which in itself was surprising since I only have the basic plan.

I took it to American tire and they patched it no problem and am driving it until the new tire comes in.

I guess my question is in an awd with 9000mi on the tires should I be okay with having one tire replaced and not have to worry about issues with The differentials? (Google...in general, i don't know **** about cars). I don't want to cause damage by driving with unmatched tires.

One option is try to see if they could order 2 sets of tires but I'm not sure if that will solve anything.

I guess one other option would be to have the new tire shaved. Would the dealership do that? Obviously These are the stock Yokohama avids.

Thanks in advance
Biggamejames747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #14718
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggamejames747 View Post
Had a nail in my right passenger side tire that the mechanics caught when I took my '12 impreza in for its 7500 mi maintenance. Dealership said they couldn't repair because of the location and ordered one tire covered warranty which in itself was surprising since I only have the basic plan.

I took it to American tire and they patched it no problem and am driving it until the new tire comes in.

I guess my question is in an awd with 9000mi on the tires should I be okay with having one tire replaced and not have to worry about issues with The differentials? (Google...in general, i don't know **** about cars). I don't want to cause damage by driving with unmatched tires.

One option is try to see if they could order 2 sets of tires but I'm not sure if that will solve anything.

I guess one other option would be to have the new tire shaved. Would the dealership do that? Obviously These are the stock Yokohama avids.

Thanks in advance
I would do a thread depth test on your tire and compare it to that of a new tire. I had gotten a sidewall puncture in my STI with my all-weather tires (Nokian WRG2) and I had about 20K on them. When I put the new tire on, the car drove fine however the only issue I had was when I was going WOT, the car would pull slightly.

This may not happen to you for one of two reasons:
- My tire is most likely worn more than yours because of mileage and because the compound is soft on the Nokian. There was a visible difference in tread depth. This is why I say check the depth on your original tires.
- My car has 350HP+ at the crank. You will notice the pull a whole lot more when you WOT the STI vs the 2.0i Impreza.

To make a long story even longer, I think you will be fine. I have 9K on my car and I don't see the tread that much worn. Your tires will never be exact, think of when you rotate your tires, the depth has the potential to get all mixed up across 4 tires.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #14719
Biggamejames747
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322720
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
I would do a thread depth test on your tire and compare it to that of a new tire. I had gotten a sidewall puncture in my STI with my all-weather tires (Nokian WRG2) and I had about 20K on them. When I put the new tire on, the car drove fine however the only issue I had was when I was going WOT, the car would pull slightly.

This may not happen to you for one of two reasons:
- My tire is most likely worn more than yours because of mileage and because the compound is soft on the Nokian. There was a visible difference in tread depth. This is why I say check the depth on your original tires.
- My car has 350HP+ at the crank. You will notice the pull a whole lot more when you WOT the STI vs the 2.0i Impreza.

To make a long story even longer, I think you will be fine. I have 9K on my car and I don't see the tread that much worn. Your tires will never be exact, think of when you rotate your tires, the depth has the potential to get all mixed up across 4 tires.
Thanks. The inspection report indicates 8/32" in the front two and 7/32" in the rear (where the screw in the tire was). What do you think?
Biggamejames747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #14720
A.J. W.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312629
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggamejames747 View Post
Thanks. The inspection report indicates 8/32" in the front two and 7/32" in the rear (where the screw in the tire was). What do you think?
I ran into the same issue on my '08 2.5i. Had one go bad and replaced with a new one. I was told that the Max Deviation in the tires CIRCUMFERENCE (not tread depth) has to be less than 1/4". Also, since all tires should be the same size, it is best to put the mismatched tire up on the front with the open diff. I think with the minimal difference in depth you are seeing that it would be less than 1/4" and you should be fine.
A.J. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #14721
Biggamejames747
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322720
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. W. View Post
I ran into the same issue on my '08 2.5i. Had one go bad and replaced with a new one. I was told that the Max Deviation in the tires CIRCUMFERENCE (not tread depth) has to be less than 1/4". Also, since all tires should be the same size, it is best to put the mismatched tire up on the front with the open diff. I think with the minimal difference in depth you are seeing that it would be less than 1/4" and you should be fine.
Thanks!
Biggamejames747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #14722
pkL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313093
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver Area
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
5-door Sport. Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdSubie View Post
Common sense warning:

If you accidentally leave a map light on and don't drive for a week, your battery goes dead. Duh. And Dang. I thought this car was doing all my thinking for me. I guess not quite.
I think I've done that before too but I recall the light being off when I went back to check.
pkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #14723
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post

I think I've done that before too but I recall the light being off when I went back to check.
Me too. I thought there was a 20 minute timer for some of that stuff?
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #14724
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

There is a timer for the interior lights, but apparently not the map light.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #14725
subiedude676
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241369
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Emmaus, PA
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Can someone tell me if I am the only one lacking a light in the glove box on my 2012 2.0i, or is there not supposed to be one on our models?
subiedude676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.