Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default Turbo Purchase

Ok my turbo finally bit the dong, time for a new one I've been doing my research and im ready to get one and I have most of the supporting mods, only thing i have left to do is buy injectors, fuel pump, and obviously the turo. I was wondering if on ebay there are any brands to avoid such as, Godspeed, CXracing, and so on. I am also wonderfing if I purchase http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Acc...tock-SF-Intake will I need to take it to a shop to tune it or can I just flash, load and go? My biggest problem is is that I live in the middle of a nowhere small town with honestly no shops that do anything for tuners. Everyone here is a truck lovin hick and they hate "ricers".
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
EvileyeZ88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233501
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax Va
Vehicle:
07AD 337/335SAXWAGON
99 outback sport

Default

Godspeed is garbage.

CX racing is a great company I have a few of their products.

You will need a tune for anything you add that adds power.

A Cobb ap has off the shelf maps that are designed for everyone's cars (they are kinda rough since its a nation wide blanket map) it may not even have a map for the turbo you plan to run.

Etunes are great and affordable I've had mine for about 20k+ miles now and I'll be getting re-tuned when I finish building my 20G

Give Stephen Clark of IA performance a buzz.

Don't worry about those smoke spewin douche canoes. They will end up in a ditch when snow hits the ground

~Evil

Last edited by EvileyeZ88; 11-28-2012 at 11:34 AM.
EvileyeZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

What is the gauge of the stock turbo is it 16? Hate to ask when i know its on the forum somewhere just havenig a hard time finding it.
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
EvileyeZ88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233501
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax Va
Vehicle:
07AD 337/335SAXWAGON
99 outback sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitslevi
What is the gauge of the stock turbo is it 16? Hate to ask when i know its on the forum somewhere just havenig a hard time finding it.
Do what?? Gauge? You mean like 16g 18g 20g?

If so, its totally different, you have a td04. What turbo do you plan on getting?

~Evil
EvileyeZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

If you don't have injectors, or the pump, or even a way to tune you don't have the supporting mods for any turbo upgrade.

What is your budget? This is key. What is your goal?

If you are looking at Ebay for turbo's, I'd say you have a relatively low budget, so replacing stock with stock will likely be the best bet.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvileyeZ88 View Post
Do what?? Gauge? You mean like 16g 18g 20g?

If so, its totally different, you have a td04. What turbo do you plan on getting?

~Evil
Yea sorry and I'm planning on getting something comparable to the sti turbo. I was going to get a used STI turbo however the price on a factory turbo compared to aftermarket turbo is insane so I'm comparing prices and reviews.
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Mr Wrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332887
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange County, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX stage 2+
DGM (sedan)

Default

Why not get the vf39 and use a COBB OTS map? You can find one on the classifieds section for like $400-500
Mr Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvileyeZ88 View Post
Godspeed is garbage.

CX racing is a great company I have a few of their products.

You will need a tune for anything you add that adds power.

A Cobb ap has off the shelf maps that are designed for everyone's cars (they are kinda rough since its a nation wide blanket map) it may not even have a map for the turbo you plan to run.

Etunes are great and affordable I've had mine for about 20k+ miles now and I'll be getting re-tuned when I finish building my 20G

Give Stephen Clark of IA performance a buzz.

Don't worry about those smoke spewin douche canoes. They will end up in a ditch when snow hits the ground

~Evil
Snow has just started sticking and I'm lovin it haha gotta love back roads with the scooby. But without the turbo she is lacking haha
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wrex View Post
Why not get the vf39 and use a COBB OTS map? You can find one on the classifieds section for like $400-500
I've been looking but there is literally nothing out here like I said everone hates tuners out here. Ebay is like my only option and the prices are well over 700 bucks. I'm just weighing my options buying the Cobb tuner plus turbo and the few other things im going to need would put a hurtin on my christmas list lol.
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
EvileyeZ88
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233501
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax Va
Vehicle:
07AD 337/335SAXWAGON
99 outback sport

Default

You can find a good used vf39 in the classifieds for 300-500 shipped to your door.

The only brand of Turbo sold on eBay I would buy without first rebuilding it would be Kinugawa, they are in the $700+ range tho.

The closest thing your going to find to a vf39 is a 16G.

Here is what i suggest:
Cobb ap
Vf39
565cc (Sti) injectors
Sti tmic and splitter
Walbro 255.

^You can run the Cobb map with these parts

But with the added power your going to want to upgrade suspension and brakes as well.

Suspension:
Front and rear sway bars
Front and rear end links
Hard mounts.
Replace every bushing
Fender braces

Dollar for dollar suspension upgrades are the best thing you can do for these cars.

Brakes:
Upgraded pads
Upgraded rotors
SS brake lines
Master cylinder brace
EvileyeZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitslevi View Post
I've been looking but there is literally nothing out here like I said everone hates tuners out here. Ebay is like my only option and the prices are well over 700 bucks. I'm just weighing my options buying the Cobb tuner plus turbo and the few other things im going to need would put a hurtin on my christmas list lol.
I know for a fact that if you went to the MAIC chapter (which you are part of being from PA) you can find 4-5 decent VF-39's for sale for around 3-500.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Guys....he's blown his turbo, has no tuners nearby and has a limited budget.

I think your options are: stock replacement turbo
or Buy an AP with a turbo that their maps support

Worry about all the other stuff later. You certainly don't have to worry about an STi scoop with temps now in the 30's.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
hudsonvalleybugeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295068
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rhinebeck, NY
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
Sedona Red Pearl

Default

Involve yourself in your local scene. Ask around about tuning alot of times there are great road tunes that can be had. This can save you a good amount of money. Also some local clubs will hold install days and if you are decent with tools, there can be some great helping hands. Id ask around, the community can help you save money...money that you can spend on good parts. Good luck!
hudsonvalleybugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvileyeZ88 View Post
You can find a good used vf39 in the classifieds for 300-500 shipped to your door.

The only brand of Turbo sold on eBay I would buy without first rebuilding it would be Kinugawa, they are in the $700+ range tho.

The closest thing your going to find to a vf39 is a 16G.

Here is what i suggest:
Cobb ap
Vf39
565cc (Sti) injectors
Sti tmic and splitter
Walbro 255.

^You can run the Cobb map with these parts

But with the added power your going to want to upgrade suspension and brakes as well.

Suspension:
Front and rear sway bars
Front and rear end links
Hard mounts.
Replace every bushing
Fender braces

Dollar for dollar suspension upgrades are the best thing you can do for these cars.

Brakes:
Upgraded pads
Upgraded rotors
SS brake lines
Master cylinder brace
suspension is already upgraded and Thank you
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

thanks everyone I had my car looked at by a guy that I know who works on Deisel turbos and he said the bearings seased on it I didn't "blow" my turbo which I thought. But I found a vf39 on ebay just under 300 and im thinking that will be my purchase. All I will need after that are pinksm, fuel pump and tuner =] then its tear down time
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Mr Wrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332887
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange County, NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX stage 2+
DGM (sedan)

Default

Glad to hear you have a set path to fix your car. Let us know how it goes
Mr Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Heyitslevi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333921
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montrose pa
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

the vf 39 is going to be my purchase thanks everyone =]

Last edited by Heyitslevi; 12-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Heyitslevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.