Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Maybe for an EJ powered car. I much prefer the more linear torque curves I've seen on other turbo'd BRZ. Awesome mid-range is awesome, but you'll feel that drop. Better than stock? Yeah. What I want? Nah.
Interesting... this BRZ has more torque than any other so how is the torque curve worse?

Team Crawford
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
nixr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339709
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
2012 BRZ
WR Blue

Default

Love your work! I know there is an order or two for your fa20 bottom end coming down to AU land and I may follow on at some point next year depending on how my avo stage 1 goes.

Nick.
nixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #28
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixr View Post
Love your work! I know there is an order or two for your fa20 bottom end coming down to AU land and I may follow on at some point next year depending on how my avo stage 1 goes.

Nick.
Good to hear Nick!
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
bebesito21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 176128
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I <3 E85
Vehicle:
5862 ...baby boosted

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Maybe for an EJ powered car. I much prefer the more linear torque curves I've seen on other turbo'd BRZ. Awesome mid-range is awesome, but you'll feel that drop. Better than stock? Yeah. What I want? Nah.
wait is this an EJ25 powered brz? Or an FA powered BRZ?

Either way, the powerband is sick, good work Crawford and Visconti!
bebesito21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebesito21 View Post
wait is this an EJ25 powered brz? Or an FA powered BRZ?

Either way, the powerband is sick, good work Crawford and Visconti!
Yea, thats a strange comment from him saying its a good curve for a 2.5L motor that automatically makes more torque than a 2.0L motor.

FA all the way bebesito

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
Donkaart
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 91832
Join Date: Jul 2005
Default

Looks great. This is a true twin scroll setup (= reason for superb torque curve)?

In principle, 400 flywheel hp are enough for me. Will the turbo kit be sold separately or does it make more sense to additionally buy the modified engine?
Donkaart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #32
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkaart View Post
Looks great. This is a true twin scroll setup (= reason for superb torque curve)?

In principle, 400 flywheel hp are enough for me. Will the turbo kit be sold separately or does it make more sense to additionally buy the modified engine?
Correct, we used a true twin scroll system as we wanted the 2.0 to have some low end torque. We had no idea it would end up working this well!

If you tried to run this power / torque from the stock 12.5 to 1 motor, it would toss a rod out of the block It would not run on 91 octane pump gas either...

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
bebesito21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 176128
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I <3 E85
Vehicle:
5862 ...baby boosted

Default

how about some underhood pics?
bebesito21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Kastley85891
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127704
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX/Austin
Vehicle:
2013 Hybrid
Needs an 05STI

Default

Nice project - nice to see

you need a smoother driver to show case it ;-)
Kastley85891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #36
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebesito21 View Post
wait is this an EJ25 powered brz? Or an FA powered BRZ?

Either way, the powerband is sick, good work Crawford and Visconti!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Yea, thats a strange comment from him saying its a good curve for a 2.5L motor that automatically makes more torque than a 2.0L motor.

FA all the way bebesito

Team Crawford
Like they said, FA powered. The torque curve looks LIKE it came from an EJ (not just 2.5L, Crawford). That's great low/mid range, but other turbo kits have shown a linear torque curve that just doesn't stop going up. It's all in the type of turbo and how you tune it; I was just giving my opinion...peaky torque curves are fun but that drop-off makes me . Great gains over stock, not trying to minimize Crawford's work here.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #37
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Please show us the curve you are speaking of... the only flat one I have seen is quite low.
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Please show us the curve you are speaking of... the only flat one I have seen is quite low.
I think the stupidest one I saw was one of Visconti's tune of AP. Dyno queen tune, over 500hp, torque and horsepower absolutely linear.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #39
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

The graphs I have seen are not much to speak of...

We could flatten out our torque curve to make it "appear" better if you want to see a flat torque curve, but at the end of the day the car would be slower. And not near as much fun to drive

You actually never feel the torque drop because the power increase above 5000rpm takes over the acceleration of the car.

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #40
BraveSTi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262030
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upinyourgirl.
Default

Who's the 'ol man drivin JK BR's lookin good!
BraveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I think the stupidest one I saw was one of Visconti's tune of AP. Dyno queen tune, over 500hp, torque and horsepower absolutely linear.
This kind of view of a torque curve is silly. You can flatten the curve to make it look more linear but you'll be losing area under the curve. A properly utilized, maxed out turbo will always have a dropping torque curve to maximize the turbo at every RPM range.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #42
djdalaney
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301136
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Like they said, FA powered. The torque curve looks LIKE it came from an EJ (not just 2.5L, Crawford). That's great low/mid range, but other turbo kits have shown a linear torque curve that just doesn't stop going up. It's all in the type of turbo and how you tune it; I was just giving my opinion...peaky torque curves are fun but that drop-off makes me . Great gains over stock, not trying to minimize Crawford's work here.
Yeah, that's cool on the track, but that curve on the street SUCKS. The low/mid range is where you want your torque for street driving.
djdalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #43
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalaney View Post
Yeah, that's cool on the track, but that curve on the street SUCKS. The low/mid range is where you want your torque for street driving.
Oh absolutely, but I can't imagine many people are turboing a 5 month old car with the intension of street use.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.