Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 8, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
flycaster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60142
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bend, OR
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Grey

Default

The peddle mush will dissappear with all those in place, but the bite and fade characteristics won't change. Those are pad related.

BTW, it's not a good idea to just swap one set of pads. The ABS expects pretty much equal pad bite all the way around, so get the same pads for the rears - they should cost peanuts. Trust me, you don't want the ABS to do unexpected things in a true panic stop.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
flycaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
phenryiv1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91212
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

There are no PFC Z-rated pads for the rear of the WRX. I have other pads (also new) to install when I install the fronts.

Not the perfect setup, but better than stock.
phenryiv1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #28
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
There are no PFC Z-rated pads for the rear of the WRX. I have other pads (also new) to install when I install the fronts.

Not the perfect setup, but better than stock.
call them and ask them what they would suggest as a rear pad...and maybe suggest that they make them

the stock pads are really VERY weak and should be replaced for any kind of non-granny application
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
phenryiv1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91212
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
call them and ask them what they would suggest as a rear pad...and maybe suggest that they make them

the stock pads are really VERY weak and should be replaced for any kind of non-granny application
The rear pads that I have are the ones that were suggested to pair with the PFCs.

I do intend to call Performance Friction to make a suggestion to make rear pads, because the price on the fronts is very good if they perform as well as reviews indincate that they will.
phenryiv1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #30
Vanderkitten
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218648
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley, Ca
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Spark Silver

Default

StopTech Street Performance Pads come highly recommended from the C-Group lead instructor at Hooked on Driving who runs an STI (very quickly) and has tried a number different pads, settling with those. I rode with him after having major brake issues and was really impressed with the bite and lack of fade.

The main thing with pads is finding your temperature range. These are 60-1300 which is insane. The Hawk HP+ stops at 900... The HPS (what I destroyed) are similar to stock and not a track pad. (60-750).

This is a great thread as I've been looking to improve the pedal feel in my car. After SS lines, etc, it was still very mushy and feel... I think the master cylinder brace will help as described!
Vanderkitten is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #31
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

GrimmSpeed is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #32
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
08 Impreza,80Vette
68 Impala, 15 SantaFe

Default

Nice animation! Between this and the video above, what else could you need to explain how this brace works.
subyski is online now  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #33
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
It is clear that this animation is directly based on my epic copyrighted video, so I am going to be requiring that you send me royalties in the form of cool Grimmspeed schwag.

There is something entrancing about this animation. I can't seem to stop watching it, lol.
irish44j is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #34
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
It is clear that this animation is directly based on my epic copyrighted video, so I am going to be requiring that you send me royalties in the form of cool Grimmspeed schwag.

There is something entrancing about this animation. I can't seem to stop watching it, lol.
Haha uh oh! Was that your video of the master cylinder pushing out? Ill send you a shirt for that for sure!!

Hit me up, [email protected]

Will
GrimmSpeed is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #35
Ric WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187009
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan Prem
VF52, CAMTuned, Stage 2

Default

I purchased the brace during the group buy and had installed when my new turbo was installed. (took a very knowledeable subaru mechanic, his own shop) about 20 minutes to install, piece of cake he said. It is a very good mod, I could feel the difference. I have Brembos front and rear with HPS ceramic pads, DBA 4000XS rotors and Stoptech SS lines.
Ric WRX is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #36
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

irish44j is offline  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 Taco
& 2015 Legacy Ltd.

Default

I just installed this on my '11 STI. Took me under 1 hour from popping the hood to putting tools away and closing it!

Immediately better pedal feel! I had to wire tie the fuel line with the FPR on it otherwise everything else went back together without too much problem. I found that by installing the lowest bolt first towards the firewall hand tight it was easy to rotate and wiggle to line up the other holes. Install was not nearly as bad as people have made it out to be and the results are fantastic!

I got it for a great price from GrimmSpeed at Wicked Big Meet! Thanks guys!

edit: I know this thread hasn't been posted in since last September but rather than starting a new thread I posted here.

Last edited by jay25RS; 06-13-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: see above.
jay25RS is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
SW21MR2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60135
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Vehicle:
2005 Kona Stink-E
White

Default

Man... that thing took me hours to install. It was pretty tough getting past the brake hard lines.
SW21MR2 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #39
rube23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92710
Join Date: Aug 2005
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

bumping an old thread. couple of questions for the GR brace
would this brace help the known issue of the firewall spot welds breaking?
any added noise or vibrations from installing this brace?
rube23 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #40
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 Taco
& 2015 Legacy Ltd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube23 View Post
bumping an old thread. couple of questions for the GR brace
Good job finding it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube23 View Post
would this brace help the known issue of the firewall spot welds breaking?
Not really but it will help the tiniest bit. X > 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube23 View Post
any added noise or vibrations from installing this brace?
Nope! It's a great mod with almost nothing to list as a drawback. (Other than listening to other people cry about it taking hours to do when it should take well under 1 hour!)
jay25RS is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
rube23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92710
Join Date: Aug 2005
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Thanks for the update Jay! i figured the biggest reason to get it would be to limit the firewall flex, which in theory should help with the firewall spot weld issue. In my eyes, better brake feel is an added bonus!
I just placed an order for one, im going to time the install. I think i can do it in an hour or less....lol
rube23 is offline  
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #42
Hextro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276823
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
2010 WRX

Default

i recently put this on too and it's for sure worth the hour of limited space work. i ended up using two of the factory bolts because they also have phillip screwdriver head slots and it was much easier to get those two short ones in with a flexible #2 screw driver. my 2010 hard lines were also in the way of the top short nut ( closest to the firewall) but with some patience it comes together and is well worth the effort. wife-a-claus is bringing me SS lines soon and i cant wait for this combo to be on the car!!
Great product
Hextro is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #43
rube23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92710
Join Date: Aug 2005
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

I just installed it today, took me about 1 1/2 hours. This was mostly since I disconnected all the fuel lines and got them out of the way. The brace practically fell in place after that.
rube23 is offline  
Old 11-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #44
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

How does the Grimmspeed compare to the Perrin?

I'm looking for least intrusive install. I'm assuming both work.

Last edited by chimchimm5; 11-11-2015 at 01:23 PM.
chimchimm5 is offline  
Old 12-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #45
after5hock
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 435931
Join Date: Dec 2015
Default

Did the brake master cylinder brace help with the clutch pedal creak at all? they are so close together that I thought maybe it would help with the break?
after5hock is offline  
Old 12-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #46
mrsaturn7085
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 375462
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5 View Post
I'm assuming both work.
You know what they say about assumption...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el_GMpaihY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McWCbnyxwQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYxGQvaTJ0

Deflection was nearly identical with and without brace. Any benefit this provides something you're imagining, and it makes your engine bay slightly more cluttered in the process.

Testing setup used a fixed-back Recaro seat w/o brake booster (STI spacer). If you've got a standard seat, you will probably not see this level of deflection.
mrsaturn7085 is online now  
Old 12-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #47
SeeeeeYa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2017 FXT-T ES
SBM/SBL

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
You know what they say about assumption...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el_GMpaihY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McWCbnyxwQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYxGQvaTJ0

Deflection was nearly identical with and without brace. Any benefit this provides something you're imagining, and it makes your engine bay slightly more cluttered in the process.

Testing setup used a fixed-back Recaro seat w/o brake booster (STI spacer). If you've got a standard seat, you will probably not see this level of deflection.

I can definitely confirm that the new WRX, significantly stiffer chassis and all, has a lot of firewall flex if the brake is heavily pushed. I had my wife sit inside and mash the pedal so I could see, and I was amazed how much the MC moved.

So, after much research and internal debate I bought and installed the Cusco MC brace. It was a snap to install and removed all MC movement.

Did it change how the brakes worked? I can only theorize, but what I know for certain is that my brakes are superb... and I'm a late-braker. I credit the brace with part of that.

Incidentally, out of the box, from the first drive, my '16's brakes were noticeably superior to my '15 WRX's, even with that brace and good bleeding and fluid change. Again theory, but it must be something they did relative to EyeSight. They're beyond reproach for my DD use, so much so that I haven't been inspired to swap fluid or bleed them yet, though I will. They are simply great brakes as they are now.

Anyone with a Subaru will benefit, IMO, from a master cylinder brace. The firewall flex is dramatically obvious... still.
SeeeeeYa is offline  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #48
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
You know what they say about assumption...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el_GMpaihY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McWCbnyxwQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYxGQvaTJ0

Deflection was nearly identical with and without brace. Any benefit this provides something you're imagining, and it makes your engine bay slightly more cluttered in the process.

Testing setup used a fixed-back Recaro seat w/o brake booster (STI spacer). If you've got a standard seat, you will probably not see this level of deflection.
With all due respect, that's exactly what can be expected from a master cylinder brace that hasn't been properly preloaded. If those are your videos, I'd suggest preloading the brace a bit more. If that doesn't help, it's most likely that something your unique setup is preventing you from benefitting the same way many thousands of people have. On any of our shop cars, I'd bet my life on being able to identify whether or not a MCB is installed in a blind test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeeeeYa View Post
I can definitely confirm that the new WRX, significantly stiffer chassis and all, has a lot of firewall flex if the brake is heavily pushed. I had my wife sit inside and mash the pedal so I could see, and I was amazed how much the MC moved.

So, after much research and internal debate I bought and installed the Cusco MC brace. It was a snap to install and removed all MC movement.

Did it change how the brakes worked? I can only theorize, but what I know for certain is that my brakes are superb... and I'm a late-braker. I credit the brace with part of that.

Incidentally, out of the box, from the first drive, my '16's brakes were noticeably superior to my '15 WRX's, even with that brace and good bleeding and fluid change. Again theory, but it must be something they did relative to EyeSight. They're beyond reproach for my DD use, so much so that I haven't been inspired to swap fluid or bleed them yet, though I will. They are simply great brakes as they are now.

Anyone with a Subaru will benefit, IMO, from a master cylinder brace. The firewall flex is dramatically obvious... still.
Glad to hear it! We're working, albeit slowly, on our newer model braces!

Matt Beenen
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline  
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #49
mrsaturn7085
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 375462
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
With all due respect, that's exactly what can be expected from a master cylinder brace that hasn't been properly preloaded. If those are your videos, I'd suggest preloading the brace a bit more. If that doesn't help, it's most likely that something your unique setup is preventing you from benefitting the same way many thousands of people have.
Matt,

The brace was properly preloaded 1 full turn per GrimmSpeed spec - I do read the manual, thanks. I went 1/2 additional turn before the video was taken and the results were the same - the metal will flex.

I don't know how a master cylinder spacer and fixed-back FIA-rated seat would cause your product not to function, nor would I call that a unique setup. If you'd like to elaborate on this, I'm all ears.

I have since sold the brace due to the poor results I experienced, and I do not plan on buying another to review. This is not a knock against GrimmSpeed as a company, as I've had great results with a number of your products; this simply was not one of them.
mrsaturn7085 is online now  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #50
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
Matt,

The brace was properly preloaded 1 full turn per GrimmSpeed spec - I do read the manual, thanks. I went 1/2 additional turn before the video was taken and the results were the same - the metal will flex.

I don't know how a master cylinder spacer and fixed-back FIA-rated seat would cause your product not to function, nor would I call that a unique setup. If you'd like to elaborate on this, I'm all ears.

I have since sold the brace due to the poor results I experienced, and I do not plan on buying another to review. This is not a knock against GrimmSpeed as a company, as I've had great results with a number of your products; this simply was not one of them.
The reason that I commented the way that I did was that you made a blanket statement about the product's function based on a single piece of data and quite frankly, we have thousands of customers that would disagree with you. Regarding your setup, I called it unique because I'd estimate that an extremely small percentage of our customers have a fixed back seat and brake booster delete.

Regarding the way that it affects the function of our product, I would expect it to be massive. Actual numbers will depend entirely on pedal ratio, brake booster diaphragm size and master cylinder bore, but a brake booster can add an additional 50-150% of 'free pressure'. This free pressure is generated entirely within the booster and not by your pedal, through the firewall. So, if your brake setup requires 1700psi of total brake pressure to work, a driver might only need to apply 100lbs of pedal force (amplified to 500-700lbs into the firewall based on pedal ratio) to generate 800psi of 'manual pressure' and the booster would generate the additional 900psi (again, depending on booster size). On the same car with the same brake setup minus the brake booster, the driver would need to generate the entire 1700psi on his/her own, which puts a substantially higher amount of force into the firewall. If you disagree with that logic, I'm happy to sketch something out with real numbers and prove or disprove my theory tomorrow.

It's actually even more complex than that and if you draw a force diagram, I suspect you'll see that the brake booster actually aids in reducing firewall flex because it pushes back towards the driver in order to apply force to the cylinder. What I'm not saying is that you're lying or did something wrong. What I'm saying is that your particular results cannot and should not be applied universally.

Glad to hear that you've been happy with our other products.

Matt Beenen
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : MI New Cusco Brake Master Cylinder Brace For Sti Wrx justanothrgi Suspension/Brakes/Handling 6 10-27-2010 11:52 AM
Master Cylinder Brace for 2009 WRX last lemming alive Brakes, Steering & Suspension 1 09-14-2010 08:37 PM
GTSPEC Front Strut Brace for 08+ WRX/STI GTSPEC Suspension/Brakes/Handling 2 03-14-2008 07:01 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.