Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325432
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Question 02 WRX Cam/Crank Seal + Axle Issue

It seems as though the cam seal and the crank seal are leaking oil. Not that much, but still leaking and getting the timing belt all wet. Also, the front right axle needs to be replaced, all according to the mechanic.

Since I am pretty new at this, how labor intensive are these things? I have to drive about 300 miles next week to relocate for a month. I should probably get all of this done before then.

What parts would I need to fix the cam/crank seal leak and is it safe to order an "Axle Assembly - Front Right" from this website?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ryuduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
CanadianImprezaSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 312159
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

to do the crank and cam seal you will need to completely remove the timing belt and cam gear of the specific cam along with the crank pulley. You may as well do the other 3 cam seals while you are there as well.

It's going to be a few hour job at the least. Medium difficulty I'd say. Fill out your profile and for some beer and pizza someone may be willing to help you do it that is near you. What is your mileage at? It might be time to replace the belt and pulleys anyway. Do you know if it has been replaced before?

Joel
CanadianImprezaSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianImprezaSTi View Post
. What is your mileage at? It might be time to replace the belt and pulleys anyway. Do you know if it has been replaced before?

Joel
Milage is at 126,664. I got the timing belt + water pump kit installed by a mechanic right after I bought the car (a few months ago).

What would you say about the front right axle? I've got to drive for 300 or so miles next week to relocate for a month.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuduo View Post

Milage is at 126,664. I got the timing belt + water pump kit installed by a mechanic right after I bought the car (a few months ago).

What would you say about the front right axle? I've got to drive for 300 or so miles next week to relocate for a month.
It sucks your tech did not replace the deals when he did the timing belt. Are you planing on doing these repairs yourself. The cam seals are a more in depth job the axel can be done fairly easy. I would get the axel done before the trip for sure.
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Have a Nice Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@grimmspeed View Post
It sucks your tech did not replace the deals when he did the timing belt. Are you planing on doing these repairs yourself. The cam seals are a more in depth job the axel can be done fairly easy. I would get the axel done before the trip for sure.
Yeah for real! He didn't even recommend doing those...even though they are right there when you are doing the timing belt. I don't have the time nor experience to do these repairs myself. If it were a week later then I could have tackled at least the axle.

What should I be looking for in purchasing an axle? There is a junkyard near my house that says they have a 2002 WRX Front Axle. Mechanic said he needs to replace the Front Right Axle, haven't asked him where to get the parts since they were already closed when I went to get my vehicle.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139955
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Why is he recommending an axle replacement? Aftermarket axles have a high defect rate so many prefer to reboot theirs or get new/used OE axles.
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Why is he recommending an axle replacement? Aftermarket axles have a high defect rate so many prefer to reboot theirs or get new/used OE axles.
He said it was broken / leaking a lot. Recommended replacement. I am going to take car to another place today and get their opinion.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139955
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Sounds like the boot is blown. Reboot that axle, don't replace it with parts store garbage.
vision.dynamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Sounds like the boot is blown. Reboot that axle, don't replace it with parts store garbage.
Alright. What about an OEM axle from the nearest salvage yard? Found one for $40.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
wrc_tunedwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279502
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

The repair process is the same for an axle just a little messier being that it will be your first time. A boot repair kit is a lot cheaper than an axle. Take the money you save from the repair and put it in your gas tank or towards your crank/cam seal.
wrc_tunedwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_tunedwrx View Post
The repair process is the same for an axle just a little messier being that it will be your first time. A boot repair kit is a lot cheaper than an axle. Take the money you save from the repair and put it in your gas tank or towards your crank/cam seal.
Just got back from another mechanic. He said that the front axle was fine...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
CanadianImprezaSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

Quote:
Just got back from another mechanic. He said that the front axle was fine...
Hop under the car and look for yourself. Look for broken boots. It will look like this:

If your boot is damaged/broken replace the boot with a kit. It's not too hard and there are a bunch of DYI's floating around.

Joel
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Ryuduo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianImprezaSTi View Post
Hop under the car and look for yourself. Look for broken boots. It will look like this:

If your boot is damaged/broken replace the boot with a kit. It's not too hard and there are a bunch of DYI's floating around.

Joel
Awesome thanks for the image. I will take a look tonight or in the morning. What about the cam and crank seals? Where can I get replacements?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the image. I will take a look tonight or in the morning. What about the cam and crank seals? Where can I get replacements?
I would also not recommend an aftermarket axle, as far as cam seals and such I would stick with oem on that too.
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
CanadianImprezaSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

Quote:
Straight from your local dealer.

Joel