Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default Transmission whine in 2012 WRX

Okay, I did a lot of searching. I found some posts about this subject. All I'm asking all you Subaru owners is, does your transmission whine in 1st and 2nd gear under acceleration.. I took my car to the Subaru dealer on Wednesday originally for the ECM recall. When I got there I asked the service advisor if he could check you the whine in my transmission. So the service advisor assigned my car to their master tech. My car has 5.6k miles on it currently. That whine has always been present since day 1. I got a call Wednesday at around 4PM. The service rep told me that the tech wanted to do a tear down of the transmission. They also stated that if it was abuse related that they would charge me a tear down of $350. They would pay the other half. If its defective then, I would pay nothing. How do I prove the noise was there since the beginning. I need all your help in being honest and clearing things up. It never occurred to me that they would want to do a tear down. The tech said that most likely they would be replacing the first and second gears. Please help me out. Thanks for all your time.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOC949 View Post
Okay, I did a lot of searching. I found some posts about this subject. All I'm asking all you Subaru owners is, does your transmission whine in 1st and 2nd gear under acceleration.. I took my car to the Subaru dealer on Wednesday originally for the ECM recall. When I got there I asked the service advisor if he could check you the whine in my transmission. So the service advisor assigned my car to their master tech. My car has 5.6k miles on it currently. That whine has always been present since day 1. I got a call Wednesday at around 4PM. The service rep told me that the tech wanted to do a tear down of the transmission. They also stated that if it was abuse related that they would charge me a tear down of $350. They would pay the other half. If its defective then, I would pay nothing. How do I prove the noise was there since the beginning. I need all your help in being honest and clearing things up. It never occurred to me that they would want to do a tear down. The tech said that most likely they would be replacing the first and second gears. Please help me out. Thanks for all your time.
if you didnt document this with the service dept when you realized it....it may be a done deal
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

If the whine is the same as when you first got the car, it's probably normal. Tell them not to tear the trans apart.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post

if you didnt document this with the service dept when you realized it....it may be a done deal
What I'm thinking of doing is asking them to test drive a brand new car with them and see if the tranny whines.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
If the whine is the same as when you first got the car, it's probably normal. Tell them not to tear the trans apart.
I asked them about that, they said that they would document it that I brought the transmission whine up. The service rep also stated that 90% of cases, it's a warranty defect.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
SubaruTech84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301472
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

The trans shouldn't whine on acceleration. It sounds like a bad wear pattern on the gears. There is no good way to prove that there was abuse, it is all up to the tech and the service department on how they go about wording it. If your car is stock and you haven't had any issues with it, you shouldn't have a problem warranting it. I know we would probably warranty it here. I've seen a a few low mile 2011+ STI's come in with cracked ring lands and that was warrantied by us with no problem. Just go out of your way to be extra nice and not combative to the service department and that goes a long way. Hope it all works out for you!
SubaruTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruTech84 View Post
The trans shouldn't whine on acceleration. It sounds like a bad wear pattern on the gears. There is no good way to prove that there was abuse, it is all up to the tech and the service department on how they go about wording it. If your car is stock and you haven't had any issues with it, you shouldn't have a problem warranting it. I know we would probably warranty it here. I've seen a a few low mile 2011+ STI's come in with cracked ring lands and that was warrantied by us with no problem. Just go out of your way to be extra nice and not combative to the service department and that goes a long way. Hope it all works out for you!
Thanks for the reply. The only mod I've done to it is shifter bushings. Both front and rear. but like I said, it has done it since day 1.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
imprezafreak3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184136
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate,NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOC949 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The only mod I've done to it is shifter bushings. Both front and rear. but like I said, it has done it since day 1.
someone correct me if im wrong, but you should have taken those aftermarket shifter bushings out and put your stock ones back in before you went into the dealer with a trans issue. Did they say anything about the bushings when they looked at your car?
imprezafreak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg "2+" 300hp/360trq

Default

whine in 1st and 2nd is normal. ive had it on my 2010 since day one. 80k miles later, it still sounds the same, no better, no worse.

its fine, really.
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezafreak3 View Post

someone correct me if im wrong, but you should have taken those aftermarket shifter bushings out and put your stock ones back in before you went into the dealer with a trans issue. Did they say anything about the bushings when they looked at your car?
I'm not going to lie about what I've done to the car. I'm honest. No they didn't say anything.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
P-Train
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279233
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Randolph, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezafreak3 View Post
someone correct me if im wrong, but you should have taken those aftermarket shifter bushings out and put your stock ones back in before you went into the dealer with a trans issue. Did they say anything about the bushings when they looked at your car?
I doubt they'll say anything about aftermarket bushings. At least they didnt for me when i went to them. But I ended up with a melted turbo, loose drain/fill plug, and more noise than I originally started with, so who knows. Three different Subaru Dealerships and every tech that touched my car sucked. If they determine your tranny is defective see if they'll replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding it. One less thing to **** up. Hopefully the techs where you are, are a little better.
P-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Train View Post

I doubt they'll say anything about aftermarket bushings. At least they didnt for me when i went to them. But I ended up with a melted turbo, loose drain/fill plug, and more noise than I originally started with, so who knows. Three different Subaru Dealerships and every tech that touched my car sucked. If they determine your tranny is defective see if they'll replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding it. One less thing to **** up. Hopefully the techs where you are, are a little better.
It doesn't hurt to ask. I'll give them a call later on today. Thanks for the reply
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
fr0st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41618
Join Date: Aug 2003
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Default

Bought my 08 last year with 30000 miles. Went to the dealer for this same reason. They told me it was normal. Look up unabomber manifesto on trannies.

The tranny for the 08+ are from the lgt and have straighter cut gears for 1st and 2nd gear to make them tougher but they whine more.

Go on youtube and search for 08+ wrx 0-60. Check out the vids on how the trannies whine in the videos

Its all normal
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Jessekrs123
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236927
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Oakville CT
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy Sedan
1984 BRAT

Default

Welcome to the world of Subarus where whining, rattling heatshields and interiors, and noisy valvetrains are all sounds you'll just have to learn to live with.
Jessekrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
Bought my 08 last year with 30000 miles. Went to the dealer for this same reason. They told me it was normal. Look up unabomber manifesto on trannies.

The tranny for the 08+ are from the lgt and have straighter cut gears for 1st and 2nd gear to make them tougher but they whine more.

Go on youtube and search for 08+ wrx 0-60. Check out the vids on how the trannies whine in the videos

Its all normal
That's what I thought. But the tech at the dealer says that it is not normal
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
RM_2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163058
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Central Indiana
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
SWP Hatchback

Default

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2362972

Pretty sure this isn't the first thread I've seen recently. They all whine.
RM_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
whine in 1st and 2nd is normal. ive had it on my 2010 since day one. 80k miles later, it still sounds the same, no better, no worse.

its fine, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
Bought my 08 last year with 30000 miles. Went to the dealer for this same reason. They told me it was normal. Look up unabomber manifesto on trannies.

The tranny for the 08+ are from the lgt and have straighter cut gears for 1st and 2nd gear to make them tougher but they whine more.

Go on youtube and search for 08+ wrx 0-60. Check out the vids on how the trannies whine in the videos

Its all normal
These two posts. The whine in first and second is pretty loud on the 2008+ cars. It kind of sounds like a supercharger. In fact, that was the first thing one of my friends said the first time he rode in my car, "Your car sounds like it's supercharged." I would tell them not to tear down the transmission, take a video and post it here. We'll tell you in two seconds if it's normal or not.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post

These two posts. The whine in first and second is pretty loud on the 2008+ cars. It kind of sounds like a supercharger. In fact, that was the first thing one of my friends said the first time he rode in my car, "Your car sounds like it's supercharged." I would tell them not to tear down the transmission, take a video and post it here. We'll tell you in two seconds if it's normal or not.
They already started to tear it down yesterday.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
kashikoi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329897
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Base WRX Hatch
OBP

Default

My '12 WRX whines too in 1st and 2nd; yup kind of sounds like a supercharger.

I believe changing your bushings to aftermarket ones will also significantly increase this whining sound?

I just have the STI short throw shifter.
kashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
fr0st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41618
Join Date: Aug 2003
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOC949 View Post
That's what I thought. But the tech at the dealer says that it is not normal
Like others said. Post a vid here and take it to another dealer to make sure
Check the oil too...

Some dealers will try to make a fast buck and fix things that arent broken
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
BalboaT4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336635
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Superior, WI
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP

Default

I had an 05 LGt and now a 13 wrx and they both whine on acceleration. Just a part of the Subaru charm
BalboaT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
o0Spoony0o
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276079
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

Yes, they whine - not unusual at all. Mine's been like that from day 1.

Subaru AWD transmissions tend to be a little whiney under hard acceleration.
o0Spoony0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
garudatwo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322385
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Do keep us updated though, I'm curious what the dealership might tell you regarding gear/synchro/fork wear.
garudatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
CrazyOC949
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mssion Viejo, Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garudatwo View Post
Do keep us updated though, I'm curious what the dealership might tell you regarding gear/synchro/fork wear.
I will. According to the dealer they ordered the gears ahead of time. They will come in on Thursday. I think they are just wanting to give work to the tech.
CrazyOC949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
fr0st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41618
Join Date: Aug 2003
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOC949 View Post
I will. According to the dealer they ordered the gears ahead of time. They will come in on Thursday. I think they are just wanting to give work to the tech.
they will look stupid opening a tranny, changing parts and then putting it back in the car and it still whines...

what then ? there just gonna say it's normal ?
fr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.