Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #26
CptJoe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289920
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default

^ iPhone app quoting problems, sigh.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CptJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
LucasCairns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339453
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedlessone View Post

It's NASIOC, we have to argue.
Haha I understand you guys are a lot better then the people over at newschoolers, a skiing forum I'm part of.
LucasCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #28
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCairns View Post
Hello everybody!

Not sure if this is the right section for this but as you can see I'm a noob and not completely used to this forum yet.

So to get to my question, next year I'm going to be turning 16 and buying my first car! I'm going to have about $12,000 to spend and really just want a reliable car that I can take to the mountains and be safe in.

These requirements have led me to find the impreza 2.5i as I can find them on Craigslist for about $9,000 with around 80,000 miles or less in the years 06-07. Now to me this seems like the smartest choice because of a couple things
-wont be tempted to speed as much
-newer/less miles=more reliable
-insurance will be cheaper
So as of now the 2.5i is what I'm leaning towards

but my mom was talking to my schools Dean and he was telling her that he's going to be selling his Subaru wrx 03 with 110,000 miles on it for around $10,000. I'm tempted to just buy his car because he has all the maintenance records and has babied the hell out of it, it's in pretty much perfect condition. Also a couple bonuses of getting this car would be
-more fun to drive then a 2.5i
-knowing the guy selling it, and knowing its in good condition
-bitches love fast cars
-easily moddable
So Nasioc if you were in this situation what would you do? Still leaning towards the 2.5i but thanks for any input!
Thanks again!
And sorry for any misspellings I'm on my phone.
wrx insurance for you would be VERY expensive and ya gotta buy premium gas...and

you WILL wreck it
you WILL blow it up.......order unimportant

you WILL end up regreting it, i promise
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #29
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bugeyed View Post
If your budget is 12k, find another 500 doll hairs and buy my spec b. clean, unmodded. More comfort than the wrx and faster (assuming its stock).


you dont wanna sell your nice spec b to some stupid kid who WILL **** it up all to hell and back in a minit

do ya
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #30
02Shagginwaggon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310253
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Ok, to anyone saying that this kid will wreck it is full of BS, I have driven a 2002 wrx every day for 8 months since I turned 16 and haven't even got close to wrecking it; I haven't even been pulled over. Although, if you go with a wrx, in my experience, you will have to like working on it. There is alot of small stuff that will pop up that you will have to fix (unless you like getting bent over on parts and labor), regardless of maintenance; it is a 10 year old car. If you understand your limitations and the limitations of the car you will be fine, besides AWD understeer is predictable AF. But yes, get a wrx, bitches don't like bugeyes... or wagons in my case, but you will like it and then you will gain confidence swagg, and bitches dig swagg.
02Shagginwaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #31
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Shagginwaggon View Post
Ok, to anyone saying that this kid will wreck it is full of BS, I have driven a 2002 wrx every day for 8 months since I turned 16 and haven't even got close to wrecking it; I haven't even been pulled over. Although, if you go with a wrx, in my experience, you will have to like working on it. There is alot of small stuff that will pop up that you will have to fix (unless you like getting bent over on parts and labor), regardless of maintenance; it is a 10 year old car. If you understand your limitations and the limitations of the car you will be fine, besides AWD understeer is predictable AF. But yes, get a wrx, bitches don't like bugeyes... or wagons in my case, but you will like it and then you will gain confidence swagg, and bitches dig swagg.


cupcake.....give yourself another year or 2...you WILL have an accident......virtually certain that this will happen
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #32
04IncreasedWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325135
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeBye4g63t View Post
No, I was just trying to help him out, but thanks for your opinion. I agree, a WRX is not a bad choice, it's just not the best, especially if he's getting a loan on a higher mileage, turbocharged AWD car that could potentially be a huge mistake. Ask me how I know, but don't expect me to understand, because I'm just an asshat who wants to talk to a mirror.





Why, because I believe that one car is more reliable than another? You're right, I am the idiot . IMO I don't think a turbocharged AWD car should be considered when the OP says "I want something Reliable". Everyone that I've encountered with a WRX so far has either transmission issues, or they've replaced their 2.0 because of spun bearings. It's not an assertion, and it's not like I'm making stuff up because I'm bored. OP, it sounds like you have your mind made up already, just buy the WRX.
I have an 04 WRX, with 119k. Bought it about 4 months ago. Starts, runs etc. Subaru MAY not be the BEST car, but it's certainly nothing to look past. They are fun cars, AWD and turbo, and endless mods (if you're into that) that you can do AND good on gas mileage, safe, more than enough room. Some cars are just lemons, every manufacture has them. Hell I had a VW Jetta that I bought and not even 6 months later, the engine took a **** on me and the ONLY thing i did to it was a CAI.

Imo, Subarus are good cars, that's the bottom line.


Quote:
cupcake.....give yourself another year or 2...you WILL have an accident......virtually certain that this will happen
First off, cupcake? Second off - What he's saying, is true. No matter WHO you are, you WILL have an accident, Guaranteed. 8 months of driving? Say that in another 5 years. I've had 10 years of driving on me and I've gotten into them. ***** happens, it's life.
04IncreasedWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #33
ceasar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296843
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: oc
Vehicle:
02 wrx JDM
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post


cupcake.....give yourself another year or 2...you WILL have an accident......virtually certain that this will happen
Soooo enyone that turns 16 will have an accident no matter what?...

Really.... instead of keep him up u want him to go down.. Wtf...
ceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
tuzzio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 292532
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southwick, Ma
Vehicle:
05 STI
PSM

Default

If you buy a 2.5i, you're going to wish it was a wrx.

If you buy a wrx, you're going to wish it was an sti.

If you buy an sti, you're just as dumb as the rest of us.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
findurpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277487
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT and Lakewood, WA
Vehicle:
2006 CGM WRX Limited
6sp, 18G, Phatron tuned

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Shagginwaggon View Post
Ok, to anyone saying that this kid will wreck it is full of BS, I have driven a 2002 wrx every day for 8 months since I turned 16 and haven't even got close to wrecking it; I haven't even been pulled over. Although, if you go with a wrx, in my experience, you will have to like working on it. There is alot of small stuff that will pop up that you will have to fix (unless you like getting bent over on parts and labor), regardless of maintenance; it is a 10 year old car. If you understand your limitations and the limitations of the car you will be fine, besides AWD understeer is predictable AF. But yes, get a wrx, bitches don't like bugeyes... or wagons in my case, but you will like it and then you will gain confidence swagg, and bitches dig swagg.
findurpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #36
wrX-MEN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330488
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PacificNW
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCairns View Post
Hello everybody!

Not sure if this is the right section for this but as you can see I'm a noob and not completely used to this forum yet.

So to get to my question, next year I'm going to be turning 16 and buying my first car! I'm going to have about $12,000 to spend and really just want a reliable car that I can take to the mountains and be safe in.

These requirements have led me to find the impreza 2.5i as I can find them on Craigslist for about $9,000 with around 80,000 miles or less in the years 06-07. Now to me this seems like the smartest choice because of a couple things
-wont be tempted to speed as much
-newer/less miles=more reliable
-insurance will be cheaper
So as of now the 2.5i is what I'm leaning towards

but my mom was talking to my schools Dean and he was telling her that he's going to be selling his Subaru wrx 03 with 110,000 miles on it for around $10,000. I'm tempted to just buy his car because he has all the maintenance records and has babied the hell out of it, it's in pretty much perfect condition. Also a couple bonuses of getting this car would be
-more fun to drive then a 2.5i
-knowing the guy selling it, and knowing its in good condition
-bitches love fast cars
-easily moddable
So Nasioc if you were in this situation what would you do? Still leaning towards the 2.5i but thanks for any input!
Thanks again!
And sorry for any misspellings I'm on my phone.
If the WRX is stock and wasn't just put back to stock then go for the WRX. Since your school's Dean has the maintenance records for it then that's a safer choice. Spend the remaining 2 grand for stage 2 upgrade.
wrX-MEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #37
02Shagginwaggon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310253
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty


cupcake.....give yourself another year or 2...you WILL have an accident......virtually certain that this will happen
Ok bud, I don't know if you understand the point of this thread. The idea is to find which car will be better. He won't wreck the wrx just because it is a wrx based on my experience (little but adequate in this situation). I'm certain that if I was going to wreck this car because of its power it would have happened by now. Sure maybe I'll have an accident, but I know more than a few adults that have never got in an accident and as far as I'm concerned I plan on being one of them. Don't be a dick dude
02Shagginwaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
wrX-MEN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330488
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PacificNW
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
wrx insurance for you would be VERY expensive and ya gotta buy premium gas...and

you WILL wreck it
you WILL blow it up.......order unimportant

you WILL end up regreting it, i promise
Insurance wouldn't be expensive if he will be under his parent's insurance since he's only 16.

He won't wreck it if he pays attention while he's driving.

He wouldn't blow it up if he knows how to drive a manual car or if the car is automatic.

Just looking at a different point of view of the situation.
wrX-MEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #39
LucasCairns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339453
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrX-MEN View Post

If the WRX is stock and wasn't just put back to stock then go for the WRX. Since your school's Dean has the maintenance records for it then that's a safer choice. Spend the remaining 2 grand for stage 2 upgrade.
Yes it's all stock and has maintenance records. That's the only reason I'm even considering haha.
LucasCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCairns View Post
Hello everybody!

Not sure if this is the right section for this but as you can see I'm a noob and not completely used to this forum yet.

So to get to my question, next year I'm going to be turning 16 and buying my first car! I'm going to have about $12,000 to spend and really just want a reliable car that I can take to the mountains and be safe in.

These requirements have led me to find the impreza 2.5i as I can find them on Craigslist for about $9,000 with around 80,000 miles or less in the years 06-07. Now to me this seems like the smartest choice because of a couple things
-wont be tempted to speed as much
-newer/less miles=more reliable
-insurance will be cheaper
So as of now the 2.5i is what I'm leaning towards

but my mom was talking to my schools Dean and he was telling her that he's going to be selling his Subaru wrx 03 with 110,000 miles on it for around $10,000. I'm tempted to just buy his car because he has all the maintenance records and has babied the hell out of it, it's in pretty much perfect condition. Also a couple bonuses of getting this car would be
-more fun to drive then a 2.5i
-knowing the guy selling it, and knowing its in good condition
-bitches love fast cars
-easily moddable
So Nasioc if you were in this situation what would you do? Still leaning towards the 2.5i but thanks for any input!
Thanks again!
And sorry for any misspellings I'm on my phone.
I was happy/excited for you. Then I read your 3rd bullet point. While I don't wish a wreck on you, I do wish a strong dose if maturity to you. Oh, and FYI? Most of us 'b*t h's' know that dudes taking pride in their 'fast' cars are compensating for other shortcomings.

I think you'd get some good, solid help if you shared your question in the 'OT' section of this site.

Hope your Mommy points you in the right direction. She must be so proud!
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #41
LucasCairns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339453
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsure View Post

I was happy/excited for you. Then I read your 3rd bullet point. While I don't wish a wreck on you, I do wish a strong dose if maturity to you. Oh, and FYI? Most of us 'b*t h's' know that dudes taking pride in their 'fast' cars are compensating for other shortcomings.

I think you'd get some good, solid help if you shared your question in the 'OT' section of this site.

Hope your Mommy points you in the right direction. She must be so proud!
Hahaha chill man it was a joke. If you knew me in real life you would know I was a very mature person. Just thought I'd try to throw some humor in there.
LucasCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
10splaya22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283020
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Blacksburg, Va
Vehicle:
2012 Toyota Tacoma
Magnetic Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04IncreasedWRX View Post
First off, cupcake? Second off - What he's saying, is true. No matter WHO you are, you WILL have an accident, Guaranteed. 8 months of driving? Say that in another 5 years. I've had 10 years of driving on me and I've gotten into them. ***** happens, it's life.
Lol it just means you are a bad driver. It is possible to have a fast car and not drive like an idiot. You can go fast enough to kill yourself in any car, a stock wrx may no longer be a great choice but it doesn't mean he will get in an accident just because it's a turbo. WRX's are slow stock
10splaya22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #43
LucasCairns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339453
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post

Lol it just means you are a bad driver.
If you get rear ended your not a bad driver...which will almost always happen within 10 years.
LucasCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #44
10splaya22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283020
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Blacksburg, Va
Vehicle:
2012 Toyota Tacoma
Magnetic Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCairns View Post

If you get rear ended your not a bad driver...which will almost always happen within 10 years.
He made it sound like he was the cause of of the accident though
10splaya22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #45
Heedlessone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254130
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Twinscroll Goodness

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCairns View Post

Haha I understand you guys are a lot better then the people over at newschoolers, a skiing forum I'm part of.
Newschoolers is the biggest douche bag community on the internet. NASIOC can't even come close.
Heedlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
twinturbomeow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315546
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: nova
Vehicle:
03 wrx
silver

Default

03 looks best imo. Offer him 8k for it 10 is too much, in the future when ur successful drop a sti in it. bugeyes are lightest wrx models right?
twinturbomeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
LucasCairns
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339453
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedlessone View Post

Newschoolers is the biggest douche bag community on the internet. NASIOC can't even come close.
I don't know about that I've seen TGR get pretty bad.
LucasCairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #48
Redline Rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252577
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southern RI
Vehicle:
05 OB 2.5i 5MT
Brilliant! Silver

Default

Responded to your PM Lucas
Redline Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #49
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Ok ... Consider this me cutting slack. I'd suggest actually looking at the maint. records. What kind of oil used, was it done w/in proper intervals, 60k Svc.? Was it all done or some? Timing belt changed...?
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #50
evoboy88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48096
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Gurnee, IL
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedlessone View Post
It's NASIOC, we have to argue.
evoboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.