Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #51
WhozNext
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265369
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
07 STI
SWP

Default

I think a lot has to do with the tune on their Subaru. Most people blow their Subaru's up because they let some hill billy tune their car, saying "Oh, man I can getcha another 40HP outta this bad boy" I cracked 2 ringlands on my STI back couple years ago, all due to the idiot who tuned it. Live and learn, and be very picky on who touches your car. All in all I don't have anything bad about Subaru, in fact I bought another Subaru after that happened. They are far better than a lot of other cars i've owned.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WhozNext is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #52
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Complaining is good, brings common issues to light...with the hope that the people from Subaru read these threads and do something about it.

Keep in mind that the WRX/STI is known as a "tuner" car, and should have been engineered to support an certain increase in stock HP/torque (like other performance vehicles i.e. Mustang, Evo, etc.), and should definitely NOT be breaking ring lands with a safe OTS Stage 1 tune.

The "tuning" aspect is a major reason why I bought my STI...if my car couldn't be tuned safely, I wouldn't have bought it, and I would have kept my Evo.
WRXLTD is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #53
rubelcon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41693
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Bear Mountain
Vehicle:
not DOT approved :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Fighter;
Not really, you can bi+ch and complain about your Subaru all you want. But it's not just the people complain, I'm talking about the people who say --"f*ck Subaru's, they are pieces of shi+ because I bought an Sti and had it for a few days and the motor is already blown because the oil was low and the guy said he just changed all the fluids ."
Excuse me that's your fault, should have common sense and could have checked the oil in the first place before rev-lining every gear. But they still troll on everyone's thread about how they suck because of his mistake.

People need to grow a pair and except their mistakes, sure i would be pissed if i had a blown motor, but there is a reason because of it and i would try to avoid it from happening again.

You will learn a lot more from shutting your trap and reading, versus the opposite.
rubelcon is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #54
Fir3Fighter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316780
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

^•^ yes i agree. Some people have asked me"bro i can tune your car for $XXX compared to $###." Lmao.

To be honest look at my post count... i barely ever post anything. All i do is get on here and read, I've just noticed every other thread i read its the same people complaining lol.

Happy New Years everyone!
Fir3Fighter is online now  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXLTD View Post
Complaining is good, brings common issues to light...with the hope that the people from Subaru read these threads and do something about it.

Keep in mind that the WRX/STI is known as a "tuner" car, and should have been engineered to support an certain increase in stock HP/torque (like other performance vehicles i.e. Mustang, Evo, etc.), and should definitely NOT be breaking ring lands with a safe OTS Stage 1 tune.

The "tuning" aspect is a major reason why I bought my STI...if my car couldn't be tuned safely, I wouldn't have bought it, and I would have kept my Evo.


i got news for ya pal....it is WAY easier and a metric boatload cheaper to get an evo...ANY evo to run 11's(and 10's, too ) than any subaru sold here....and on the stock turbo, too

now i dont know what you been smokin....but it must be bath salts....but ya woulda been far better off with the evo
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #56
toph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78640
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lowell, MA
Vehicle:
08 STi SSM 3.5XT-R
15 WRX 6MT Limited CBS

Default

People who post negatively on here about subarus are people who have 9 out of 10 times got burnt one way or another. Whether it be a bad dealer, poor service/repairs, cheap parts, cheap builds, misinformation, the list goes on.

I sold phones for 5 years and the things people would come in and complain about were ridiculous! "My battery dies after 5 hours of navigation use", "I only get 4MBPS download, it says it can get 7!!". You have to realize that everything is designed by humans and humans have faults. Of course some people will have issues, there is nothing out there that is 100% perfect. Nothing. If you accept the car for what it is and realize that it won't always be 100% perfect you'll have a much better experience, this goes for any product.

The only thing you can do is research, do your due diligence and you cut off the risk of dissapointment expotentially. Every aspect of my car I have researched, from the parts I have bought to the dealer I bought it from. From installs to forum members I am buying used parts from. Some people say I am OCD or anal about my things, but I never complain if something goes wrong because in the end there is no one else to blame but myself.

If you have had a bad experience with your Subaru in one way or another I'm sure it's because of any of the previous points. Do your homework and you significantly lower your chances of a bad experience / disappointment.

My .02
toph is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #57
nhmtns
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94283
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mt. Washington Valley, NH
Vehicle:
'05 OBXT Stage 2
Min bil är svart

Default

Just because you complain about something doesn't mean you hate it.
nhmtns is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #58
toph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78640
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lowell, MA
Vehicle:
08 STi SSM 3.5XT-R
15 WRX 6MT Limited CBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmtns View Post
Just because you complain about something doesn't mean you hate it.
Those are the same people who say they are unreliable POS. I understand you buy a new car and don't expect issues, but on the other hand if you do your homework you'll know the common problems. If you choose to buy the vehicle and then the issue does arise, you can't be mad about it because you chose to buy the car, knowing it had a possibility of that particular issue.
toph is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #59
Fir3Fighter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316780
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmtns View Post
Just because you complain about something doesn't mean you hate it.
True true.
But I guess what i mean is that they complain about it to the point that where they obviously state they hate Subaru and say they should have bought an Evo lol.
I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.
Fir3Fighter is online now  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #60
equiraptor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300017
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Fighter View Post
True true.
But I guess what i mean is that they complain about it to the point that where they obviously state they hate Subaru and say they should have bought an Evo lol.
I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.
You said you "always" see this as though it happens constantly. But then you describe a rather extreme behavior that I only see occasionally. Do you see why people would be confused?
equiraptor is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #61
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Fighter View Post
True true.
But I guess what i mean is that they complain about it to the point that where they obviously state they hate Subaru and say they should have bought an Evo lol.
I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.
I do hate Subaru and I did buy an Evo. Subarus are fine, but if one wants to make any kind of decent power it's a terrible platform. I wish someone would have told me that years ago, I would have saved so much money.

Subaru is a decent all around cheap car, the wrx even leads in most categories against its competition. If one wants a legitimate sports car though, a wrx/STI isn't the way to go. It serves a purpose, but I know there are better cars out there.

I'd say I stick around to expense knowledge and try and help kids avoid the same mistakes I made. I also really enjoy the community, at least I used too anyway. Seems there are way to many idiot fan boys out now. Then again, it's serious fun ****ing with them...
rexblake is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
wrxl98
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101244
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UT
Vehicle:
2003 wrx sportwagon
silver cobb stage 2.5+

Default

You know it's getting pretty bad when a NASIOC chapter "moderator" says:

"While I take every chance to bad mouth Subaru (mostly because you all cry like little bitches)...."


"Conclusion- from someone who is really over subarus and probably will never own one again......."
wrxl98 is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #63
Fir3Fighter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316780
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by equiraptor View Post
You said you "always" see this as though it happens constantly. But then you describe a rather extreme behavior that I only see occasionally. Do you see why people would be confused?
I guess my luck is that every other thread I read has someone complaining , buy hey it's the internet lol.
Fir3Fighter is online now  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #64
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
I do hate Subaru and I did buy an Evo. Subarus are fine, but if one wants to make any kind of decent power it's a terrible platform. I wish someone would have told me that years ago, I would have saved so much money.

Subaru is a decent all around cheap car, the wrx even leads in most categories against its competition. If one wants a legitimate sports car though, a wrx/STI isn't the way to go. It serves a purpose, but I know there are better cars out there.

I'd say I stick around to expense knowledge and try and help kids avoid the same mistakes I made. I also really enjoy the community, at least I used too anyway. Seems there are way to many idiot fan boys out now. Then again, it's serious fun ****ing with them...
I can see your point and for YOU, the evo might be a better car. That doesn't mean that it's a better car for everyone.

I think one good thing about nasioc is that it is never a fanboi fest. If someone comes on and says that he's a student with limited funds but can scrape together $3k for a car and is looking for a Subaru that as he gets more money, he'll mod it.........you don't see a ton of people jumping in and encouraging him to buy a Subaru "because it's the best and way cool and how could he go wrong". I know I jump in myself and recommend that he find a mid 90's stock Civic because it makes more sense for his situation.

There are certainly forums where the fanbois rule and nothing is in focus besides their silly car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxl98 View Post
You know it's getting pretty bad when a NASIOC chapter "moderator" says:

"While I take every chance to bad mouth Subaru (mostly because you all cry like little bitches)...."


"Conclusion- from someone who is really over subarus and probably will never own one again......."
can you pm me a link to where a moderator said that? I searched didn't find that quote anywhere.
Jack is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #65
bluemk3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 263694
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hollidaysburg, pa (central Pa)
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFifty View Post
What's that old saying... oh yeah,

"Opinions are like a**holes, Everybody has one"

It doesn't matter what forum you sign up for, every one has "those guys"

But hey, what would a forum be without them!?!
A nice place.....
bluemk3 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #66
JMK508
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115420
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mountains
Vehicle:
Its like a STI.....
but it doesn't break

Default

I still come on this site to get laughs and thats it.....i just love all the threads of built motors lasting 5k miles and people doing it over and over again.

I guess people love throwing away money.

People get all butt hurt from my sig and comments but its the truth. The EJ is a fine platform for 350whp and below. If you
go above this you WILL eventually blow your engine. It is a fact.
JMK508 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #67
officertyo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198022
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default

Simple solution. Do not beat the **** out of it. It will not break. Then there is nothing to complain about.
officertyo is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #68
phieleven
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108466
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Vehicle:
'98 GT BD & BK
'07 Outback BP

Subaru Stars find revolution.

why is this not in here yet?
phieleven is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
StackSmasher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316928
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2012 STI limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phieleven View Post
why is this not in here yet?
Video Link: http://youtu.be/QAnpIevA1xY
Lol awesome
StackSmasher is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #70
JMK508
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115420
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mountains
Vehicle:
Its like a STI.....
but it doesn't break

Default

Now that is funny.
JMK508 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #71
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK508 View Post
The EJ is a fine platform for 350whp and below. If you go above this you WILL eventually blow your engine. It is a fact.
I find it amusing that people get so dissappointed that these motors can't reliabily handle about 40% more power than stock. How dare Subaru not design the motor to handle such things since they know people mod these cars!!!!

Let's consider something. In 2002, the EJ20 227hp WRX ran around 14.4@91-92. In 2005, the 230hp EJ25 ran 14.2@95-96mph. In 2009+, the EJ25 265hp WRXs run 13.5@101-102mph. A Stage II 2005-2008 WRX is as quick as a STOCK 2009 WRX. How is that not progress? The price of the car has not gone up substanially over nearly 12 years in the states either.

Lastly, name me one car for $25-26K that offers the performance, utility, and all weather capability as the WRX.
MaddMax is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #72
JMK508
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115420
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mountains
Vehicle:
Its like a STI.....
but it doesn't break

Default

The wrx does offer performance,utility,and all weather capability. It really just lacks in the reliability department. I find it unacceptable that motors are letting go with minimal or no mods. We are not talking about 5 and 600whp builds here. I did have a wrx back in 06 and spent ungodly amounts of money to build it and reinforce all weak areas (Engine,Tranny), and it was nothing but problems and looking back and adding all the money makes me sick. I was younger and didnt do my research when buying my wrx. A couple of years ago i finally bought a Evo. It has had 400 plus whp for over 3 years and not had one......NOT ONE hiccup,issue,problem at all.

This is just my experience and i know it does not represent all Subaru owners....but i know from being in the Subaru community and being in and around performance shops that my experience is fairly common.
JMK508 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #73
crasyboy412
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70840
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
2008 Subaru WRX STi
Aspen White

Default

There are alway this who are going to hate,

I just ignore then and love my Subaru.
crasyboy412 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #74
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
.... OT Supplement
Testing Division.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxl98 View Post
You know it's getting pretty bad when a NASIOC chapter "moderator" says:

"While I take every chance to bad mouth Subaru (mostly because you all cry like little bitches)...."


"Conclusion- from someone who is really over subarus and probably will never own one again......."
Dear Wrxl98,

You take my post way to serious. Almost every single person in the RMIC knows that 99.9% of what I say is a joke. You've been a member since 2005 and still cant sense sarcasm? If you actually frequented the RMIC you would find that I give usefull advice, and have helped file police reports for members who were scammed locally.

I find it rather hysterical that you either remember that quote directly, or saved it somewhere. You should probably post the entire thread for all to read though.

P.S. You seem a little angry that a mod of the rmic doesn't own a Subaru.

Last edited by godfather2112; 01-01-2013 at 02:34 PM.
godfather2112 is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #75
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK508 View Post
The wrx does offer performance,utility,and all weather capability. It really just lacks in the reliability department. I find it unacceptable that motors are letting go with minimal or no mods. We are not talking about 5 and 600whp builds here. I did have a wrx back in 06 and spent ungodly amounts of money to build it and reinforce all weak areas (Engine,Tranny), and it was nothing but problems and looking back and adding all the money makes me sick. I was younger and didnt do my research when buying my wrx. A couple of years ago i finally bought a Evo. It has had 400 plus whp for over 3 years and not had one......NOT ONE hiccup,issue,problem at all.

This is just my experience and i know it does not represent all Subaru owners....but i know from being in the Subaru community and being in and around performance shops that my experience is fairly common.
The failures of stock or "mostly stock" is not common and gets blown out of proportion on this site and others. You note you tried to correct all the issues with the WRX drivetrain, but most of us gearheads know that the more you modify and the further you take the car from stock, the more potential reliability problems you create yourself. I've lost count on how many times I've added a mod that improved performance, but caused it's issues. and annoyances. Aftermarket are rarely designed to the level of quality that OEM parts are. People are always quick to point out just how great the mod is, but won't tell you about the negatives because they don't want to sound like a sucker. It pays to research a lot rather than buying into the head mentality. It's why I'm so selective anymore about what I do to a car and how I've come to terms with keep power levels near stock.

Yes, some cars like the EVO, are built to handle more power, but even your EVO has it's own issues and annoyances. Right off the bat, we all know the EVOs are very raw, loud, rough riding and quite cheap on the inside. That alone was enough to deter me from the car. Then there's the high likelihood that Mitsubishi will be out of the US market in the next 2 to 5 years. Dealerships are already are and few between and Mitsu dealer ratings are margin are best.

Asking any engine to reliably handle 20%+ more power than stock is unrealistic. With an NA car, it's takes thousands upon thousands to gain 20% more power than stock. With a WRX, it's a matter of a $150-600 tune and $300-500 downpipe. More importantly, the gain in torque in substanial which taxes the drivetrain. Power is so easy to gain with these cars and so cheap to come by that people seem to loose sight that cheap and easy doesn't mean it's not impacting reliability.

Long story short, if you want a motor that can handle quite a bit more power than stock with no internal mods, get an EVO, a 2JZ Supra, or 4.6 SC'd Stang. However, keep in mind those cars all have their own specialized issues and EVERY automotive forum is a bitch-fest for just how crappy the car is.

With that said, I'm cutting and pasting from a thread where a BMW tech friend of mine is trying to talk a potential buyer out of a used BMW M5 (E60 chassis, V10 model). I'm just trying to show that all makes and models have their own expensive issues to contend with, even premier BMWs:

Quote:
....i have replaced several engines personally and we have replaced several more due to oil pump failures. at one point last year we had 5 V10's stacked up in our tool room, and we are not a big shop by any means. 3 of those were under factory warranty that were not covered due to "overrev", bmw really shafted those people imo but that's a story for another time. never seen an insurance company pay for an engine that wasn't hydrolocked.

the smg hydraulics are extremely problamatic on those cars also(huge dollars). not to mention the $3k worth of throttle actuators that wear out, the exhaust manifolds/cats that **** out, the vanos oil pump/internal line, the $800 worth of spark plugs(plus labor) due every 10K miles give or take---none of those have i seen ANY aftermarket warranty cover. the car is god damned money pit plain and simple.

front brake job, $2500. that car is not anywhere near worth that premium. brake rotors are around $500 per(my price), pads are $400, add the 3 wear sensors, and 4 rotor bolts. that's at least $1500 if i were to do a brake job on my own car. dealer price is usually double what i can do, so 2500 is a deal. you will not find an aftermarket equivelant that will meet the performance of the oem brake parts. even the numerous stoptech kits we have installed(cheaper replacement parts) do not match the oem braking feel.

spark plugs have gone down believe it or not. they used to be $750 for just the plugs (no labor) a few years ago. the plugs are not your normal spark plug, they double as an ionization sensor which the ignition control unit can interpret as knock--they are essentially 10 little knock sensors. not too mention your indy shop hasn't done near the amount of plug jobs i have and most likely won't get your coils out without breaking them---there is a trick and s85 coils are a bitch to get out, so add at least 2 coils to that(#5 and #10). don't forget the 4 hours of labor, the gallon of coolant, and maybe you get lucky and the radiator vent hoses don't break.

so what about the plastic gears inside the throttle actuators that strip out because they are constantly trying to keep a steady idle against the weight of 5 throttle body springs? your indy shop gonna setup the throttles with the appropriate test plan, or are you going to bring it to the dealer for just that? that's if they get the diag right the first time, bmw likes to hide some really key hex faults in other modules that don't need to be obd compliant(sneaky germans).

how about the clutch pressure plate that gets a groove worn into it by the throwout bearing because people drive smg like an automatic instead of a manual. your indy shop will most likely misdiag that as a hyrdo unit. it's ok though, they will sell you a clutch too, might as well while you are in there but why are you replacing the hyrdo unit?

my point is sometimes you aren't getting raped, sometimes you are paying a bit more to not get raped. those cars are pretty ****** up, and if you haven't been around them they can really bite.
MaddMax is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.