Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
butterbox
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341893
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Blaze Yellow

Default AccesPort questions - Bugeye "Stage 2"ish

Hello, I was hoping someone from Cobb or perhaps someone with a bugeye could help me out.

I am just finishing up a whole punch of modifications, and am looking at some type of EM.
I have done:
Tbe
uppipe
turbo inlet
Intercooler piping.

I know the 02 and 03 wrx are more adaptable because of the ecu open/ closed loop exclusions, but I am pretty confident I need some type of EM, or do I?

would I be Ok to run an OTS stage 2 map for a while until I could get the car tuned?

Are there maps available from Cobb with other modifications such as what I have done?

I need EM, and the AP seems like the best, most easily upgraded and versatile option, but dropping 500+ for an ap and then 500 for tuning is not in the cards right now.
I see that there is the AccessTuner Race software, but I am hesitant to rely on that to be able to safely drive my dd until I can afford a tune, as I have never tuned a car beyond a bit of MBC and timing on an ancient turbo volvo.

Advice?
Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
butterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbox View Post
Hello, I was hoping someone from Cobb or perhaps someone with a bugeye could help me out.

I am just finishing up a whole punch of modifications, and am looking at some type of EM.
I have done:
Tbe
uppipe
turbo inlet
Intercooler piping.

I know the 02 and 03 wrx are more adaptable because of the ecu open/ closed loop exclusions, but I am pretty confident I need some type of EM, or do I?

would I be Ok to run an OTS stage 2 map for a while until I could get the car tuned?

Are there maps available from Cobb with other modifications such as what I have done?

I need EM, and the AP seems like the best, most easily upgraded and versatile option, but dropping 500+ for an ap and then 500 for tuning is not in the cards right now.
I see that there is the AccessTuner Race software, but I am hesitant to rely on that to be able to safely drive my dd until I can afford a tune, as I have never tuned a car beyond a bit of MBC and timing on an ancient turbo volvo.

Advice?
Thanks.
Your modifications are compatible with our stage 2 off-the-shelf (OTS) maps. These stage 2 maps, which come with the AccessPORT, are for cars with an aftermarket downpipe (typically a full turbo-back exhaust). Your other modifications (uppipe, turbo inlet, IC hoses) are within the scope of this map. One crucial thing with these maps is that you are using either the stock intake or Cobb SF intake. It sounds like you are running the stock intake, so you are good to go.

You can still get a custom tune later if you like, but it is not required as long as your modifications are within the scope of the OTS map. A custom tune could net you additional performance, however, since it is custom tailored for your car and local fuel quality.

The version 2 AccessPORT (i.e. current version) allows you to data log so you can see how your car is responding to the map you've installed. This allows you to check for knock, boost levels, fuel trims, etc. We also have additional OTS maps that you can use if you happen to be underboosting or overboosting (called high wastegate HWG and low wastegate LWG), which are available in the maps section at cobbtuning.com.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
butterbox
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341893
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Blaze Yellow

Thank you for the reply.

Wouldn't I need a wideband 02 sensor along with the v2 data-log to be able to tune effectively?

Also, when researching the Ap, i saw the "live gauges" feature and i looked through the notes, but was unclear- can it display all sensor info from the ecu such as boost levels, oil temp/ pressure, etc?
Why would anyone buy gauges if this is the case? Well, i understand why, but in the short term, that may be really helpful for me.

I read unabomber's post at the top of the forum, but it is reassuring to have confirmation. And yes, i am on the stock intake.
butterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbox View Post
Thank you for the reply.

Wouldn't I need a wideband 02 sensor along with the v2 data-log to be able to tune effectively?

Also, when researching the Ap, i saw the "live gauges" feature and i looked through the notes, but was unclear- can it display all sensor info from the ecu such as boost levels, oil temp/ pressure, etc?
Why would anyone buy gauges if this is the case? Well, i understand why, but in the short term, that may be really helpful for me.

I read unabomber's post at the top of the forum, but it is reassuring to have confirmation. And yes, i am on the stock intake.
A wideband o2 with in-car gauge couldn't hurt and should really be considered when you go beyond the stage 2 level (esp. with aftermarket injectors). But, at stage 2, it is generally sufficient to look at your long-term fuel trims (A/F Learning 1 A,B,C,D) to determine if there are any fueling issues. Each individual value should generally be within around +/- 5%.

The version 2 AccessPORT allows you to data log multiple parameter and "live" view a single parameter on the LCD. You can select from the over 100 parameters available. These do include a number of sensor data that is used by the ECU as well as calculated values such as knock response data. Boost is probably the number one parameter monitored via live data for AccessPORT users.

As far as gauges, the AccessPORT does allow you to monitor the front oxygen sensor, but that sensor is not accurate under any appreciable boost so a wideband oxygen sensor (which specific sensors can be monitored by AccessTUNER Race software) would be need for high load fuel monitoring. Some other data where there is not a sensor/input to the ECU for these cars, such as fuel or oil pressure, is where there would be some benefit to adding separate gauges (although certainly not required with mild mods such as stage 1 tune or stage 2).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote