Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #1601
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

ive heard the one for '11 will work if you extend one (or more?) of the wires.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #1602
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Anyone else out there interested in a mudflap kit?
Ive been eyeing up the rokblokz since they are half the price of rally armors. . Only thing Is since there is no specific drilled version for our cars yet so i would have to drill the holes myself in the flaps which scares me since I dont have a drill press.

Anyone tackle this sorta thing yet?
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #1603
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
Anyone else out there interested in a mudflap kit?
Ive been eyeing up the rokblokz since they are half the price of rally armors. . Only thing Is since there is no specific drilled version for our cars yet so i would have to drill the holes myself in the flaps which scares me since I dont have a drill press.

Anyone tackle this sorta thing yet?
I put rally armor on last weekend.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #1604
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

I put rally armor on last weekend.
Really wish I could justify the price of the rally armor flaps. Gonna hold out and see how people like the flapatax ones before I pull the trigger.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #1605
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post

Really wish I could justify the price of the rally armor flaps. Gonna hold out and see how people like the flapatax ones before I pull the trigger.
I only did because they were a Christmas present and 15 or 20% off.

Not sure if the brackets they come with are 100% necessary, and I could have made them myself, but for simplicity they were worth it I guess.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #1606
Chris223
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308299
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Binghamton, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Anyone have a quick pic of a SINGLE DIN aftermarket receiver installed in a 2012 Impreza? I want to know what dash kit options are available and if they look good or not before I decide on either a single DIN radio (which I would prefer) or a double DIN.

Anyone make an custom ones yet that add a little something to the blank space they cover up?
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #1607
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Why would you prefer single DIN over double DIN? I can't think of any advantages that single DIN provides.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #1608
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

why go snigle when you can get a nice touch screen doube din radio for pretty cheap.
I have the pioneer 4400 and 8400 installed in both vehicles.
dash kits are also cheap what $20

Other option the jdm oem replacement
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #1609
Chris223
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308299
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Binghamton, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Why would you prefer single DIN over double DIN? I can't think of any advantages that single DIN provides.
I guess it's just because I've never owned a car that used one before this Subaru, it's my first non american car, all my other GM's used single DIN. I'm open to exploring them... but I never see them anywhere. Crutchfield where I used to get a lot of my audio stuff from (back when I was big into doing full stereos in my car) don't even really seem to have much. That and I don't want to spend more than about $300 because I would like to get a really good pair of front door speakers that I can drive with a Kicker amp I have that puts out 120W.
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #1610
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Chris, what sources of music do you plan to use? USB? iPod? Satellite radio?
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #1611
Chris223
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308299
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Binghamton, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Chris, what sources of music do you plan to use? USB? iPod? Satellite radio?
I have an old 30gb ipod video that is plugging into the center console USB port (which I would like to still be able to use if possible)

I also have the newest iPod Touch (5th Gen) with bluetooth that I'll use from time to time in my car to stream wireless thru the factory stereo. I don't use my phone for music, and exploring these receivers I see many people are complaining that they aren't very compatible (if at all) with the iPhone 5 yet, so even though I plan to get an iPhone 5 soon, that's not a big deal because I don't use it for music, but it would be nice to have BT hands free calling.

I am looking at Crutchfield and seeing some pretty nice looking options, between Alpine touch screen and also Alpine touch screen DVD. I would stretch my budget to $500 for the receiver if it meant getting something packed with features.

I'm never in my car long enough for me to have considered paying for sat radio.
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #1612
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

chris223,

it wil be a while before most radios support the iphone 5 connector, in the case of the pioneer's you can't get any graphics or vids at the moment. BT audio as well as BT hands free works so as long as you don't need to plug in the 5 via its connector then you are ok. For 500 you should be able to get a top of the line unit. Crutchfield is very expensive, so I would recommend either amazon or going to a local audio shop or distributior and having them match the amazon price or the price directly from the manufacturer's website. This gives you an easy avenue for returns and also that 1 year warranty protection as well, the same as if you had ordered with crutchfield.

I had the alpine 1 din cda 9886 in my previous car and in the impreza and I went with the pioneer units. for the top of the line 8400 cost was 470 for the 4400 cost was 350 prices have continued to fall so if you get teh 2012 model you are golden.

4400




8400




As stated earlier if the dash kit is not to your liking, you could try seeing how the canadian dash console would work or the jdm one, the canucks get pioneer touchscreen radios for their head units while the US gets the crappy clarion ones
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #1613
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris223 View Post
I have an old 30gb ipod video that is plugging into the center console USB port (which I would like to still be able to use if possible)

I also have the newest iPod Touch (5th Gen) with bluetooth that I'll use from time to time in my car to stream wireless thru the factory stereo. I don't use my phone for music, and exploring these receivers I see many people are complaining that they aren't very compatible (if at all) with the iPhone 5 yet, so even though I plan to get an iPhone 5 soon, that's not a big deal because I don't use it for music, but it would be nice to have BT hands free calling.

I am looking at Crutchfield and seeing some pretty nice looking options, between Alpine touch screen and also Alpine touch screen DVD. I would stretch my budget to $500 for the receiver if it meant getting something packed with features.

I'm never in my car long enough for me to have considered paying for sat radio.
OK. The reason I was asking is because the big double-DIN screen makes it **much** easier to navigate through a large collection of music, regardless of whether it's on an iPod or a USB drive.

For this usability reason alone, I strongly recommend that you reconsider going with a double-DIN HU.

Here's what my Pioneer P2400BT looks like:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=239
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #1614
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

I wonder if the JDM Impreza uses a double DIN bezel? My STI (previous generation Impreza) has the same bezel size as this, however I bought the JDM bezel which is double DIN and fits my Kenwood headunit perfectly.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1615
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

So after some research, I came across a post earlier in this thread about strut tower braces, suggesting that I could use the subaru spt tower brace for the current model year wrx-sti on the current impreza. In fact it appears someone actually did it. Does anyone know more about this and whether it would violate any warranty (something I'm trying to avoid)? The reason I'm interested is because I want a strut tower brace but I don't feel like paying 400+ when I can have one for half that. This is the specific brace I am referring to:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1397
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #1616
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
So after some research, I came across a post earlier in this thread about strut tower braces, suggesting that I could use the subaru spt tower brace for the current model year wrx-sti on the current impreza. In fact it appears someone actually did it. Does anyone know more about this and whether it would violate any warranty (something I'm trying to avoid)? The reason I'm interested is because I want a strut tower brace but I don't feel like paying 400+ when I can have one for half that. This is the specific brace I am referring to:
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1397
I think you need to read up on what violates a warranty, you kept asking about it earlier.

Why do you need a brace?
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1617
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I think you need to read up on what violates a warranty, you kept asking about it earlier.

Why do you need a brace?
I've heard that it improves the handling of the car slightly at the front end (which isn't bad as it is anyway). Where can I read up on warranty issues (something clearer than the manual that is)?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #1618
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post

I've heard that it improves the handling of the car slightly at the front end (which isn't bad as it is anyway). Where can I read up on warranty issues (something clearer than the manual that is)?
In the warranty forum.

The strut brace doesn't make much difference, these cars handle better than the last generation. Money is better spent getting an sti rear sway bar.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #1619
Irongrave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325040
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5door
DMG

Default

The bar you linked won't do a whole lot with the pivot bushings at the ends. The bar should be fixed to add stiffness to the front end.

On the topic of current gen wrx/sti parts working any one tried a master cylinder brace yet?
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #1620
leonyuen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330720
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2013 2.0i Sport 5dr
SWP

Default

Do the steering wheel controls still work for the pioneer double din units?
leonyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #1621
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Yes, if you also install an ASWC module.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #1622
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Yes, if you also install an ASWC module.
would it be fully functional? i thought i read somewhere in the past that some features wont work?? not sure.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #1623
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

All features working fine on both cars yes I have the steering wheel controls installed
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #1624
Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta View Post
All features working fine on both cars yes I have the steering wheel controls installed
did you have to use the mic included with the HU or were you able to use the oem mic? I would love to keep the oem mic functional if i changed the HU.

dang see that big screen makes me want to change mines out now. lol does pioneer make one with nav? are those easy to install (nav antenna etc)
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #1625
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I used the new mic that came with the HU. If I recall my research correctly, you cannot re-use the OEM mic. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
factory SS or aftermarket for 2012??? Myth21 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 01-07-2012 11:18 AM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-29-2011 11:31 PM
Has anyone test drive a 2012 Impreza yet? pRiMe DiReCtIvE General Community 25 11-28-2011 10:03 PM
Hybrid Impreza in the works for 2012? rsholland News & Rumors 43 03-12-2010 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.