Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default EQ Built 05 STI with ATP GTX3076 on E85

This is another street monster we built a bit ago that just finished break-in.

Event: Custom Tune/Dyno
Location: Equilibrium Tuning - Fairfield, CA
Ambient Temp: 50 degrees Fahrenheit
Elevation: ~100ft above sea level

Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Tuner: ED @ Equilibrium Tuning
Peak HP at RPM: 529whp @ 6000RPM
Peak Torque at RPM: 524ft-lbs @ 4950RPM
Target Boost: 24psi peak
Fuel: E85

Engine/Power Modifications:

EQ Stage 2 Shortblock (CP Pistons, Manley I-Beam Rods)
EQ Stage 2 Heads (valve job, bowl blend, stock cams)
ATP Stock Location GTX3076 with EWG
Tomei EL Header / UP
Tomei full Titanium TBE
EQ Tuning FMIC
EQ Tuning Intake
EQ Tuning Catch Can
ID2000cc Injectors
ID Sidefeed conversion Kit
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotive 340lph pump with EQ Wiring Kit
Tuned with Cobb Speed Density






This is only at 24psi because the single Aeromotive pump started dropping pressure even with a hardwire kit. We're going to switch to something bigger and turn up the boost.


**** New 2013+ Dyno Calibration ****

Stock 02-05 WRX - 185-195whp
Stock 04-07 STI - 240-250whp
Stock 08-11 STI - 220-230whp




Thanks
-- Ed
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Equilibrium Tuning; 01-04-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Duo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38620
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tarzana
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru WRX STI
OBP

Default

Wow. That thing is a beast.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
silverbullet415
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186457
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: san francisco EQ Built
Vehicle:
2010 Subaru STI SE
DGM

Default

hey ed? how did this car make 100whp more than mine with the same basic mods and build..just curious
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Airboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72829
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
MHI-TF06-18K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet415 View Post
hey ed? how did this car make 100whp more than mine with the same basic mods and build..just curious
could be this:
Quote:
**** Using 2013+ Dyno Calibration ****
Stock 02-05 WRX - 185-195whp
Stock 04-07 STI - 240-250whp
Stock 08-11 STI - 220-230whp
Airboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet415 View Post
hey ed? how did this car make 100whp more than mine with the same basic mods and build..just curious
This is on our new dyno calibration as of 2013 which reads like a Dynojet. Your car would be around 515whp. This car does have a bigger turbo (GTX3076 versus your GTX3071).

Thanks
-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
silverbullet415
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186457
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: san francisco EQ Built
Vehicle:
2010 Subaru STI SE
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium Tuning View Post
This is on our new dyno calibration as of 2013 which reads like a Dynojet. Your car would be around 515whp. This car does have a bigger turbo (GTX3076 versus your GTX3071).

Thanks
-- Ed
im gonna need a new dyno graph print out lol, when i come in on wednesday !!!!

Last edited by silverbullet415; 01-04-2013 at 01:55 AM.
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
isca21
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245029
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Finally Dyno jet numbers lol. I'm really starting to finally like this gtx3076
isca21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
rasheedn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 123333
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Jerusalem
Vehicle:
2009 STi
DMG

Default

Wow at only 24 psi!

This is a dynocom right?
rasheedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

How much CF did you add to convert to Dynojet equivalent numbers?

Powerband looks good. I'd be interested to see how the 340 pump does long term, but it sounds like you're going to switch it out anyways. Are you going to try to fit something else into the hanger?
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

it looks really good Ed.
juanmedina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
KurtP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44836
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 Fozzy
silver

Default

why did you change your correction factor so drastically?
KurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
why did you change your correction factor so drastically?
probably because customers complain about their low numbers when comparing cars with similar setups tuned on dynojets etc.
juanmedina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
KurtP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44836
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 Fozzy
silver

Default

ah....changing with the times and going from the "heart breaker" to the "sweet heart" calibration.

In Ed's defense he held out for true numbers more than most did, and people around this forum are starting to call their local dynojets and 'wheels-off' variants "heart breakers".

The last people I knew of using real mustang type numbers were Akuma, EQ, and STM. Pretty sure Akuma is on the dynojet calibration now too for the same reason.... I guess, though, if other shops are using the inflated numbers it makes it harder to compete when you say they can make "300" and the other place is saying they can make "350".

Ah well.
KurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
PROcede
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293500
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area, California
Vehicle:
11' WiderBody Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
ah....changing with the times and going from the "heart breaker" to the "sweet heart" calibration.

In Ed's defense he held out for true numbers more than most did, and people around this forum are starting to call their local dynojets and 'wheels-off' variants "heart breakers".

The last people I knew of using real mustang type numbers were Akuma, EQ, and STM. Pretty sure Akuma is on the dynojet calibration now too for the same reason.... I guess, though, if other shops are using the inflated numbers it makes it harder to compete when you say they can make "300" and the other place is saying they can make "350".

Ah well.


Exactly! Silverbullet415 and I had this exact discussion about why Ed did this last night. Wish he hadn't since he's been known for lower reading dyno numbers for so long, but as you wrote times have changed.
PROcede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheedn View Post
Wow at only 24 psi!

This is a dynocom right?
Yep. This is a Dynocom dyno reading with its native calibration with 1.0 CF.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
How much CF did you add to convert to Dynojet equivalent numbers?

Powerband looks good. I'd be interested to see how the 340 pump does long term, but it sounds like you're going to switch it out anyways. Are you going to try to fit something else into the hanger?
I'm now using a 1.0 CF. I used to have it set at .85 to get mustang numbers.

I have a handful of 340's wired like this with no problems. They've been running around for at least a year. I think we're going to try one of the bigger Walbros on this car.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
ah....changing with the times and going from the "heart breaker" to the "sweet heart" calibration.

In Ed's defense he held out for true numbers more than most did, and people around this forum are starting to call their local dynojets and 'wheels-off' variants "heart breakers".

The last people I knew of using real mustang type numbers were Akuma, EQ, and STM. Pretty sure Akuma is on the dynojet calibration now too for the same reason.... I guess, though, if other shops are using the inflated numbers it makes it harder to compete when you say they can make "300" and the other place is saying they can make "350".

Ah well.
Yep that's exactly right. I was tired of explaining how dyno's read and why mine is lower blah blah. I'm also tuning a lot of different platforms lately and all those guys just want the big numbers they're used to seeing. At the end of the day I don't care about the absolute numbers, and the bigger numbers make the customers happy. Ultimately my job is to make customers happy, so I finally gave in and changed with the times. It seems there are only 1-2 shops clinging on to the low reading calibrations. I held off long enough and finally decided to make the switch with the new year.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROcede View Post
Exactly! Silverbullet415 and I had this exact discussion about why Ed did this last night. Wish he hadn't since he's been known for lower reading dyno numbers for so long, but as you wrote times have changed.
Yes sir. Now we can shoot for the stars with dyno numbers

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Back on topic, I'm really liking this turbo a lot. It makes similar power to the old GT3582 but really fills in the powerband before the torque peak. The drivability and transient response are awesome.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Dave D.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 130990
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Menzel Lake, WA
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
I need a new tuner!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium Tuning View Post
This is on our new dyno calibration as of 2013 which reads like a Dynojet. Your car would be around 515whp. This car does have a bigger turbo (GTX3076 versus your GTX3071).

Thanks
-- Ed
Cool. Now I do make almost 400hp on your dyno!

How would your new CF equate to trap speeds now?
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
apetron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146874
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland
Vehicle:
07 STI Flared/E85
ETS GTX3576, 13 Forester

Default

Damn, you keep posting these new ATP GTX series turbos Ed and its making me want to swap out the GT52!

So by my math, my car would now read about 485whp 520 torque on your dyno now??

Matt
apetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Actually closer to 496whp I believe. I'll have to check it out. The nice thing is I can reprint anyone's dyno chart from the past with the new calibration.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium Tuning View Post
I'm now using a 1.0 CF. I used to have it set at .85 to get mustang numbers.

I have a handful of 340's wired like this with no problems. They've been running around for at least a year. I think we're going to try one of the bigger Walbros on this car.

-- Ed
Are they running E85 with the 340?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium Tuning View Post
Yep that's exactly right. I was tired of explaining how dyno's read and why mine is lower blah blah. I'm also tuning a lot of different platforms lately and all those guys just want the big numbers they're used to seeing. At the end of the day I don't care about the absolute numbers, and the bigger numbers make the customers happy. Ultimately my job is to make customers happy, so I finally gave in and changed with the times. It seems there are only 1-2 shops clinging on to the low reading calibrations. I held off long enough and finally decided to make the switch with the new year.

-- Ed
Why is it that the Subaru community thinks Mustang numbers are "real"? It seems with most other platforms Dynojet are the standard. And Dynojet numbers usually seem to correlate well with manufacturer/SAE crank HP ratings (assuming typical drivetrain losses).
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Airboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72829
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
MHI-TF06-18K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Why is it that the Subaru community thinks Mustang numbers are "real"? It seems with most other platforms Dynojet are the standard. And Dynojet numbers usually seem to correlate well with manufacturer/SAE crank HP ratings (assuming typical drivetrain losses).
IIRC, Ed's original calibration for the dyno was based matching up results with his road dyno software, which happens to be close the old Mustang results.
Airboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
Equilibrium Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 26933
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fairfield, CA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
IIRC, Ed's original calibration for the dyno was based matching up results with his road dyno software, which happens to be close the old Mustang results.
Correct. My old road dyno software came in right at what old Mustang dynos read. That's the only reason I believed those numbers to be more "realistic". But who cares in the end. I do think its odd that Subaru rates the new STI's at 305bhp but they only make about 200whp on the lower reading dynos. To the same degree, however, the 09+ WRX's are rated lower than the STI but make more whp. Manufacturer ratings just don't seem to be all that accurate.

-- Ed
Equilibrium Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.