Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default Tune leaner than 14.7

Hi, is there any chance to tune the open loop maps,on a 2011 STI, leaner than 14.7?
Of course just in low loads,where from the factory it comes with 14.7.
I would like to set for example 15 or 15.5 just to save fuel during daily driving at low speed.
With Ecuflash I have seen that with the EVO is possible.
Some of you guys has got a solution for this?
Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Jeffman44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239072
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
white

Default

Open loop only happens under high load. You def wouldn't want to do that. closed loop it would be possible but the mpg gains would be pretty negligible and probably cause unwanted heat.
Jeffman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

I've mapped in a way that it goes in open loop even in low loads under certain conditions.
Anyway do you know how to modify the closed loop maps in order to go leaner than 14.7 ?
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
quazimoto
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70395
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Da-boonies,Va
Default

Change the Closed loop AFR target.
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
cowboy_Rob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194062
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Camp Hill PA
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
PSM

Default

If your goal is fuel mileage why would you set it up to go open loop sooner? Closed loop will always be more efficient then open since its being constantly monitored and adjusted on the fly by the ecu
cowboy_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazimoto View Post
Change the Closed loop AFR target.
Do you know which is the name of the table to change closed loop AFR target?
Is it CL Fueling Target compensation?
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_Rob View Post
If your goal is fuel mileage why would you set it up to go open loop sooner? Closed loop will always be more efficient then open since its being constantly monitored and adjusted on the fly by the ecu
Believe it or not,is more precise now in maintaining 14.7 than before...
And now it gives less problems with fine learning knock corrections.
Anyway basically in cruise it goes to closed loop quickly than with the oem map.
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
BlazeRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268354
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
02 WRX 05 LGT
Slow Automatics

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
Do you know which is the name of the table to change closed loop AFR target?
Is it CL Fueling Target compensation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
Believe it or not,is more precise now in maintaining 14.7 than before...
And now it gives less problems with fine learning knock corrections.
Anyway basically in cruise it goes to closed loop quickly than with the oem map.
I never saw a measurable mileage increase from going leaner than 14.7

Of course its going to be smoother in maintaining AFR in OL, the factory system is designed to jump around a little, plus its always corecting itself up/down.
BlazeRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Jeffman44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239072
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
white

Default

So I did a little digging around. The stock way of oscillating the afr actually is because it facilitates a chemical reaction in the cat. Putting it in open loop under low load is going to be fine just raise emmissions. Doesn't solve the original question though.... But I view it from the physics standpoint of conservation of energy. If you are running 14.7:1 you'll be using the full potential of your fuel, same with 15:1 or 16:1 anywhere above 14.7 and you will be maximizing fuel efficiency. Butttt that doesn't account for uncertainty in things like tip in enrichment... Might be worth it.

But yes to change closed loop afr its the 'closed loop fueling target.' Mine was in at 14.47 maybe that is the stock value. I changed it to 14.7 and the car seems to hang around 15.0 mostly. Still doing the oscillating down to 14.6 or so.

Last edited by Jeffman44; 01-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Jeffman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
ProfessWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323379
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
06 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post

Do you know which is the name of the table to change closed loop AFR target?
Is it CL Fueling Target compensation?
Yes and ECT compensation.
ProfessWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman44 View Post
So I did a little digging around. The stock way of oscillating the afr actually is because it facilitates a chemical reaction in the cat. Putting it in open loop under low load is going to be fine just raise emmissions. Doesn't solve the original question though.... But I view it from the physics standpoint of conservation of energy. If you are running 14.7:1 you'll be using the full potential of your fuel, same with 15:1 or 16:1 anywhere above 14.7 and you will be maximizing fuel efficiency. Butttt that doesn't account for uncertainty in things like tip in enrichment... Might be worth it.

But yes to change closed loop afr its the 'closed loop fueling target.' Mine was in at 14.47 maybe that is the stock value. I changed it to 14.7 and the car seems to hang around 15.0 mostly. Still doing the oscillating down to 14.6 or so.
Do you have a "closed loop fueling target" table in your ECU?
I just have 2 tables that looks similar to that one and they are compensation tables. But oem they have already many negative values...so I guess I just have to decrease more this values in order to get what I was searching for.
Am I right? ...2011 Sti with 32bit ECU
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
ProfessWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323379
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
06 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post

Do you have a "closed loop fueling target" table in your ECU?
I just have 2 tables that looks similar to that one and they are compensation tables. But oem they have already many negative values...so I guess I just have to decrease more this values in order to get what I was searching for.
Am I right? ...2011 Sti with 32bit ECU
Those tables are additive. Meaning negative numbers are below 14.7. You want positive numbers.
ProfessWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Jeffman44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239072
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
white

Default

Yea I have that exact table. 16 bit 05 wrx though...
Jeffman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
maverick83
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309577
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

Thank you
maverick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
endrswrd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323908
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Dayton Ohio
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ ltd
ISM

Default

To be clear. Clearing out the CL compensation (load and ECT) will make the car target 14.7 full time instead of the 14.2-.4 correct?
endrswrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Jeffman44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239072
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
white

Default

Correct
Jeffman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
alexmartynyuk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 191967
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
Captain America tuned

Default

I don't think a 2012 sti rom has a cl target afr table, but it should have four "cl fueling target compensation" tables and you have to tweak those to get leaner afr than 14.7:1
alexmartynyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.