Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Stickle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321019
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 ImprezaWRXsedan
WRB

Default Log showing problem?

Here is a log I just recorded today, some of the data doesn't look good. I'm not hitting target boost ether, which I believe is supposed to be +/-1 of 17psi. Just installed the headers, up pipe and downpipe on Wednesday and switch from Stage 1 to Stage 2 map.

Vehicle specs:
2005 Impreza WRX M/T 159,000miles

Stock motor, stock turbo, stock intake
Tomei-UEL headers w/ up pipe (catless)
Invidia- Downpipe Divorced (catless)
Grimmspeed- AOS
AP- Map: Stage 2 93 v310

3rd gear pull log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2JMal96dWQ4YkE

Thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Stickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
projectQWKSLVR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285270
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
PSM

Default

Do you have any logs from before the new exhaust?

Where you hitting target boost before?

Either way, I'd be going over my new exhaust and checking for leaks. You used new gaskets, right?

Plus it's not hard to disturb a dried out vacuum line during an up/down pipe(s) install. Grab a small mirror and have a good look around.

Just my .02. Good luck!
projectQWKSLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Stickle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321019
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 ImprezaWRXsedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectQWKSLVR View Post
Do you have any logs from before the new exhaust?

Where you hitting target boost before?

Either way, I'd be going over my new exhaust and checking for leaks. You used new gaskets, right?

Plus it's not hard to disturb a dried out vacuum line during an up/down pipe(s) install. Grab a small mirror and have a good look around.

Just my .02. Good luck!
I don't have any logs from before the new exhaust was installed.

On Stage 1 93 v300, I believe I was hitting 13psi. Don't quite remember specifics other than I did notice that the short time I was running the Stage 1 map, the car performed a lot better over the stock ecu map. Stage 2 has felt even stronger than Stage 1 as it should anyways. But I'm really a newbie when it comes to tuning this stuff. Just really trying to achieve the most boost at WOT on the stock turbo without causing damage. Supposed to be achieving 17psi +/-1 as to what Cobb's notes read on this map.

Tightened up every possible exhaust nut and bolt. Yes new gaskets on everything. Even the Grimmspeed 3in DP to smaller exhaust piping adaptor.

I've heard that a dirty/bad MAF and O2 sensor could be a problem also. Although I don't know if either two are bad.

Thinking about changing the map again to the Stage 2 HWG map and hopefully hit 17psi.

Thanks!
Stickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
projectQWKSLVR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285270
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
PSM

Default

Both are true. You did just have the O2 sensor out to swap to the headers, any chance it took damage?

It's never a bad idea to clean your MAF sensor. I do it every other oil change. Just get a can of MAF cleaner, pull the sensor, and honk it down. DO NOT use any other type of cleaner (carb/ electrical conn...) these will destroy the MAF sensor.

Did u check for vacuum leaks? The stock inlet is prone to fail on the bottom side right in front of the turbo, prob not your problem, but something to look at and check regularly.

I did notice in your log you had a DAM of 15 and a small amount of Fine Knock Learning. How long (miles) had it been since you flashed the new map before doing the log? If there wasn't enough time in between, the ECU hasn't had enough time to "learn" both fueling and timing issues. This means your car could be very sick and it's not showing it in the log, because the ECU was just reset, wiping out its memory.

If your going after the HWG map, it might not be a bad idea to flash the Stage 2 91 octane map. It's a little more conservative on the timing side. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Again just my .02
projectQWKSLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickle View Post
Here is a log I just recorded today, some of the data doesn't look good. I'm not hitting target boost ether, which I believe is supposed to be +/-1 of 17psi. Just installed the headers, up pipe and downpipe on Wednesday and switch from Stage 1 to Stage 2 map.

Vehicle specs:
2005 Impreza WRX M/T 159,000miles

Stock motor, stock turbo, stock intake
Tomei-UEL headers w/ up pipe (catless)
Invidia- Downpipe Divorced (catless)
Grimmspeed- AOS
AP- Map: Stage 2 93 v310

3rd gear pull log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2JMal96dWQ4YkE

Thoughts?
I would update to the latest version of the maps (v310), which you can obtain from the maps section at cobbtuning.com. Use the AccessPORT Manager software to transfer the map from your computer to the AccessPORT and then reflash (not realtime) the map to your car. The newer maps can be more consistent.

That said, you are underboosting by quite a bit. But, I would still start with the new maps (normal wastegate) and get some additional logs (and go from there).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Stickle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321019
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 ImprezaWRXsedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectQWKSLVR View Post
Both are true. You did just have the O2 sensor out to swap to the headers, any chance it took damage?

It's never a bad idea to clean your MAF sensor. I do it every other oil change. Just get a can of MAF cleaner, pull the sensor, and honk it down. DO NOT use any other type of cleaner (carb/ electrical conn...) these will destroy the MAF sensor.

Did u check for vacuum leaks? The stock inlet is prone to fail on the bottom side right in front of the turbo, prob not your problem, but something to look at and check regularly.

I did notice in your log you had a DAM of 15 and a small amount of Fine Knock Learning. How long (miles) had it been since you flashed the new map before doing the log? If there wasn't enough time in between, the ECU hasn't had enough time to "learn" both fueling and timing issues. This means your car could be very sick and it's not showing it in the log, because the ECU was just reset, wiping out its memory.

If your going after the HWG map, it might not be a bad idea to flash the Stage 2 91 octane map. It's a little more conservative on the timing side. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Again just my .02

I'll just replace both the MAF and O2 sensor. Did check for vacuum leaks, everything seems to be tight and nothing leaking on the intake side and exhaust side.

I flashed to the Stage 2 93 v300 map on the 18th (Wednesday). Took this log on the 21st (Yesterday). So maybe 40 miles. I did notice the DAM of 15 and Fine Knock Learning.

I'll switch it today to the Stage 2 91 octane map, and get a log too.

Btw, driving last night I had the AP screen showing boost and I noticed that I hit 15.1psi, so at least it's going up. Didn't log it though...
Stickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
projectQWKSLVR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285270
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
PSM

Default

Like Bill said above, go over to Cobb's website and download the newest maps (ver 3.10)

The boys at Cobb took a different approach at the timing tables. It really is a huge difference!

It's drag and drop into AP manager, then flash to the car and enjoy!
projectQWKSLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Stickle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321019
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 ImprezaWRXsedan
WRB

Default

Just replace the spark plugs today with OEM NGKs

3rd gear pull log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&hl=en#gid=0

Went from 3rd to 4th then 5th as you see on the throttle percent.

Boost is still barely 13psi even though I random hit 15.1psi driving last night. Is that due to lower ambient air temps?
Stickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickle View Post
Just replace the spark plugs today with OEM NGKs

3rd gear pull log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&hl=en#gid=0

Went from 3rd to 4th then 5th as you see on the throttle percent.

Boost is still barely 13psi even though I random hit 15.1psi driving last night. Is that due to lower ambient air temps?
Now that you are on the new map (and the DAM looks fine and no knock correction), you can try the high wastegate (HWG) version of the map. Although that is unlikely to get you to the target. The next step would be to shorten the wastegate arm a half a turn at a time until you can hit within 1 psi of your peak boost target in 3rd gear. There are various threads on Nasioc that describe how to do this. This is assuming that you've done a pressure or smoke test of the intake tract already (a visual inspection is not enough).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Stickle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321019
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 ImprezaWRXsedan
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Now that you are on the new map (and the DAM looks fine and no knock correction), you can try the high wastegate (HWG) version of the map. Although that is unlikely to get you to the target. The next step would be to shorten the wastegate arm a half a turn at a time until you can hit within 1 psi of your peak boost target in 3rd gear. There are various threads on Nasioc that describe how to do this. This is assuming that you've done a pressure or smoke test of the intake tract already (a visual inspection is not enough).

Bill
No, I haven't done a pressure or smoke test of the the intake tract. I'll look into that first before changing to the HWG version map. Then go to adjusting the wastegate arm from there.

Also I've downloaded the AccessTuner Race beta program to see if I can get this car go to richer. Don't know how to do that exactly. It is running way to lean when transmission is in any gear and vehicle is coasting at any speed (foot off gas pedal). Once a little thottle is applied it goes down to 14.7 area. WOT is 11.2 also if that helps. When I changed my exhaust setup. The inside of the up pipe, downpipe was white. Including the O2 sensor in the downpipe. The spark plugs tips white too. So this motor is running way to hot. Thoughts?

I will be replacing the O2 sensor in the Downpipe soon. Is that what the Accessport reads off when looking at 'Air Fuel Sensor 1'?

Thanks.
Stickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickle View Post
No, I haven't done a pressure or smoke test of the the intake tract. I'll look into that first before changing to the HWG version map. Then go to adjusting the wastegate arm from there.

Also I've downloaded the AccessTuner Race beta program to see if I can get this car go to richer. Don't know how to do that exactly. It is running way to lean when transmission is in any gear and vehicle is coasting at any speed (foot off gas pedal). Once a little thottle is applied it goes down to 14.7 area. WOT is 11.2 also if that helps. When I changed my exhaust setup. The inside of the up pipe, downpipe was white. Including the O2 sensor in the downpipe. The spark plugs tips white too. So this motor is running way to hot. Thoughts?

I will be replacing the O2 sensor in the Downpipe soon. Is that what the Accessport reads off when looking at 'Air Fuel Sensor 1'?

Thanks.
The ECU will cut fuel to the injectors when you off the throttle (when specific conditions are met), so that is normal. The A/F Sensor 1 reading is from the front o2 sensor (the sensor in the downpipe is the rear o2 sensor). It is not accurate under any appreciable boost and will be limited to 11:1 reading on the rich side regardless. The only way you can accurately determine fueling is by installing a wideband o2 sensor (post-turbo). You can get one supported by AccessTUNER Race (such as AEM UEGO) and then you'll be able to log it in the software. If you are going to be doing any of your own tuning, a wideband o2 sensor is a must.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
chrissmith002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176046
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

Try Running a High Wastegate map if you got rid of or have a high flow cat, see if that helps.
chrissmith002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.