Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #2901
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

zeeper
that video is killing me

So when are we gonna have this cvt vs 5spd war, I thought this thread was about the 2012 and up impreza didn't know that if we have 5spd we can't post.

So far accounting for all the variables the biggest mpg drain seems to be the driver like it our not its called SOL

when will skynet be activated?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #2902
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
http://youtu.be/rRwfwyaHXDk

Slow down, enjoy the MPG's...
haha that is a pretty funny commercial. i think the overly breathy narrorator really ties it together. good message though.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #2903
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Without calling out anybody...

Someone please explain to me why I can't break 30mpg with this car. I have the cvt, rpm's never go above 3500 - commute about 40 miles a day with about 3/4 highway and 1/4 sometimes bumper to bumper.... I could not drive this car more like an economy car w/out getting run over.

Have done the same commute with other cars for years.. so it was easy for me to anticipate what my expected MPG's would be with this car... only problem is the numbers are inflated. I dont think 27mpg's per tank for driving responsibly (and quite frankly no fun at all) is acceptable for what was posted for this car. The window sticker lies, Screw the window stickers, I know how to drive, I dont give a crap about 5spd vs. cvt - cvt is suppose to have better MPG's???. Why cant you accept or admit that Subaru inflated the MPG's for this car... it is quite obvious and clear to me. I deal with it every day. OMG!!! I consistently see owners posting that they a dont care b/c when the weather gets bad they know they have AWD and have accepted it, etc..... But to me that just reinforces my point. I can't speak for all but it seems even those who love the car admit the MPG's are off, they are just ok with it b/c they like the car and have awd or whatever.. and that is fine.

BUT

Does not change the fact that the MPG's projected for this car are just dead wrong. Really??? you all dont see that? C'Mon man. There is nothing wrong with my car that I know of ie, oil consumption etc.. just extremely disapointed with MPG's. Bought car b/c based on the #'s and knowing my commute and the way I drive, I should have easily been breaking the 30mpg mark and I am not. The only constant is I know how I drive, so explain that one. Did I just get a thursty one? Doubt it highly. Whatever!! sorry for ranting, but after reading post after post.. had to get off my chest.
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #2904
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

At vwgti123, you're moaning about 10%... 30 combined vs the 27 you're getting. Seriously...

Let's try to get a grip on reality. This is just slightly worse (~2-3 MPG) than my '03 Civic EX 4 speed automatic doing the same driving. That disparity equates to about $140/year. I'm pretty sure flipping your lid over $140 on GAS qualifies as irrational. You probably spend more on fast food in a month.
I really appreciate what I got for such a cheap car:
Impreza VS Civic
$22,800 vs $17,800
Wagon vs Sedan
~3100lbs vs ~2600lbs
2.0L H4 vs 1.7L I4
148HP vs 127HP
145lb-ft vs 118lb-ft
CVT vs 4sp
AWD vs FWD
17" Alloy vs 15" Steel
Roof rack vs none
Heated Leather vs Cloth
97 cuft vs 83 cuft interior
22.5 cuft vs 12.9 cuft cargo
Electronic Brake Assistance vs none
Traction Control vs none
Vehicle Stability Control vs none
Top Safety Pick vs not

And for the record:
Latest fuelup 26.6 calculated MPG.
312 Miles
11.746 Gallons
Trip MPG: 28.2
Trip MPH: 25
Fuelly
Running average 26.9 MPG
Lifetime average 27.1 MPG

Last edited by hemophilic; 01-14-2013 at 08:54 PM.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2905
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post
At vwgti123, you're moaning about 10%... 30 combined vs the 27 you're getting. Seriously...

Let's try to get a grip on reality. This is just slightly worse (~2-3 MPG) than my '03 Civic EX 4 speed automatic doing the same driving. That disparity equates to about $140/year. I'm pretty sure flipping your lid over $140 on GAS qualifies as irrational. You probably spend more on fast food in a month.
I really appreciate what I got for such a cheap car:
Impreza VS Civic
$22,800 vs $17,800
Wagon vs Sedan
~3100lbs vs ~2600lbs
2.0L H4 vs 1.7L I4
148HP vs 127HP
145lb-ft vs 118lb-ft
CVT vs 4sp
AWD vs FWD
17" Alloy vs 15" Steel
Roof rack vs none
Heated Leather vs Cloth
97 cuft vs 83 cuft interior
22.5 cuft vs 12.9 cuft cargo
Electronic Brake Assistance vs none
Traction Control vs none
Vehicle Stability Control vs none
Top Safety Pick vs not

And for the record:
Latest fuelup 26.6 calculated MPG.
312 Miles
11.746 Gallons
Trip MPG: 28.2
Trip MPH: 25
Fuelly
Running average 26.9 MPG
Lifetime average 27.1 MPG
OMG!!! R U kidding me. I don't eat fast food, but I guess you do since you brought it up, thanks for sharing your diet. Sorry to call you a fool, but C'Mon, Your proving my point even further.

Another buyer who is happy with their car but not achieving the MPG claims by Subaru and justifying it. I am happy for you that you have improved your life from a civic to the Impreza... but what is your point?

Where did I say you should not be happy with your car. I should just be happy b/c you feel you are in a better car than a civic? Really? Dont play that game.

My expectations were not a magic 30mpg for this car.. just felt based upon all the raw data and reviews, that I would be in the somewhat above 30mpg based upon MY driving habbits and MY commute. I am glad you dont care that you were taken. I dont consider 27MPG acceptable for why I purchased this car based upon how I drive and My needs/commute when I have had other cars that can easily achieve higher.

It is not about the $140 or whatever.. it may be to you....It's about being a consumer and being misled and that is why I called you a fool mostly. Thanks, but no thanks for sharing. Please! I hate that you made me type this. Bottom Line!!! The EPA MPG's for this car are WRONG!!! OMG AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO LIVES THIS!!!

What a great feeling.. getting up everyday, starting your new car, doing everything you can to be responsible and drive safe and economicaly as you have been and watching your efforts go down the toilet. Nice Feeling. Thanks Subaru for lying to America. OMG!!!!!! Oh man you pissed me off. That's why this car is a POS!!! Enjoy yours.
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #2906
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Agreed. That's so nothing to flip out over. If you were getting 17 then yes. My lifetime combined on fuelly is 28.8 on just 8200km. About 20% on hwy. Rest is all city. Also cvt.
As I said before, my sticker shows 5.5l hwy 7.6 city. So getting 7.8 combined is about spot on. I've done 2 major trips and with a full tank managed to hit 5.8l all hwy at speed limit of 65mph or 105kpg. Which comes to 40.55mpg hwy.

Last edited by Penguin44; 01-14-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #2907
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin44 View Post
Agreed. That's so nothing to flip out over. If you were getting 17 then yes. My lifetime combined on fuelly is 28.8 on just 8200km. About 20% on hwy. Rest is all city. Also cvt.
Well I guess it is just me. I will just be content to walk into the Subaru dealer pull down my pants and accept it. Sorry for posting. Good Luck to all.
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #2908
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
Without calling out anybody...

Someone please explain to me why I can't break 30mpg with this car. I have the cvt, rpm's never go above 3500 - commute about 40 miles a day with about 3/4 highway and 1/4 sometimes bumper to bumper.... I could not drive this car more like an economy car w/out getting run over.

Have done the same commute with other cars for years.. so it was easy for me to anticipate what my expected MPG's would be with this car... only problem is the numbers are inflated. I dont think 27mpg's per tank for driving responsibly (and quite frankly no fun at all) is acceptable for what was posted for this car. The window sticker lies, Screw the window stickers, I know how to drive, I dont give a crap about 5spd vs. cvt - cvt is suppose to have better MPG's???. Why cant you accept or admit that Subaru inflated the MPG's for this car... it is quite obvious and clear to me. I deal with it every day. OMG!!! I consistently see owners posting that they a dont care b/c when the weather gets bad they know they have AWD and have accepted it, etc..... But to me that just reinforces my point. I can't speak for all but it seems even those who love the car admit the MPG's are off, they are just ok with it b/c they like the car and have awd or whatever.. and that is fine.

BUT

Does not change the fact that the MPG's projected for this car are just dead wrong. Really??? you all dont see that? C'Mon man. There is nothing wrong with my car that I know of ie, oil consumption etc.. just extremely disapointed with MPG's. Bought car b/c based on the #'s and knowing my commute and the way I drive, I should have easily been breaking the 30mpg mark and I am not. The only constant is I know how I drive, so explain that one. Did I just get a thursty one? Doubt it highly. Whatever!! sorry for ranting, but after reading post after post.. had to get off my chest.
How fast is "highway"?

Bumper to bumper is worse than just idling in your driveway for mpg
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #2909
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
How fast is "highway"?

Bumper to bumper is worse than just idling in your driveway for mpg
Highway is 60mph maybe 65mph for about 17 of a 20 Mile commute since you asked.
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #2910
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
Without calling out anybody...

Someone please explain to me why I can't break 30mpg with this car. I have the cvt, rpm's never go above 3500 - commute about 40 miles a day with about 3/4 highway and 1/4 sometimes bumper to bumper.... I could not drive this car more like an economy car w/out getting run over.

Have done the same commute with other cars for years.. so it was easy for me to anticipate what my expected MPG's would be with this car... only problem is the numbers are inflated.

Does not change the fact that the MPG's projected for this car are just dead wrong. Really??? you all dont see that? C'Mon man. There is nothing wrong with my car that I know of ie, oil consumption etc.. just extremely disapointed with MPG's. Bought car b/c based on the #'s and knowing my commute and the way I drive, I should have easily been breaking the 30mpg mark and I am not. The only constant is I know how I drive, so explain that one. Did I just get a thursty one? Doubt it highly. Whatever!! sorry for ranting, but after reading post after post.. had to get off my chest.
There's nothing wrong with your car specifically. Except for the start up sequence & way this engine consumes fuel until it's fully warmed up (longer than it takes for the blue light to go off). Everyone's car has that same issue, PZEV I don't think accounts for any measurable difference in MPG but it does warm up differently. In either case, the fact that you live in NY in our weather & are subject to winter fuel blends & have 25% bumper to bumper is why you can't break that mixed #. They didn't inflate their #s. unfortunately, if you look at the actual EPA testing for highway & city you'd see that doesn't exactly fit what we would call highway or city. The highway is slower than most drive & the city is longer of a ride than what one would assume & the average MPH for that test is also different than stop & go average. That's what EPA #s are based on & that's why is doesn't equate. I'm NOT okay with it but see no point in beating a dead horse here. So when you see myself & others say we've accepted it, it's because we've dealt with it for close to or more than a year now. If I drove like the EPA tests, I'd meet those numbers & so would you. But for mixed #s 27 isn't that far off. Come back when you've taken a long highway trip in the summer months & you've kept your speed around 50 mph. You'll hit the #s then.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #2911
CLL_OBP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
Highway is 60mph maybe 65mph for about 17 of a 20 Mile commute since you asked.
I think you should be getting better than 30 mpg going that speed. Where I live is pretty flat and going 60-65 will get me at the 36 hwy mpg or better. Don't know what else it could be causing your mileage to be low like that. Where you are is kind of flat too. I'm from Huntington/Greenlawn.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #2912
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post

I think you should be getting better than 30 mpg going that speed. Where I live is pretty flat and going 60-65 will get me at the 36 hwy mpg or better. Don't know what else it could be causing your mileage to be low like that. Where you are is kind of flat too. I'm from Huntington/Greenlawn.
Tire pressure could be a factor.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #2913
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Be easy on VWGTI, guys. He gave up one of the funnest cars on the road (VW GTI) with a six speed, HID headlights, and so on and bought an Impreza with a CVT. He misses his GTI. He's blaming the Impreza's fuel economy because he needs to hang his hat on something. But in reality, he bought a car that was designed for a completely different experience, and now he's missing the GTI's coolness factor. Deep down, he knows that the fuel economy isn't really a big deal, especially since the GTI requires premium gas and the Impeza takes RUG.

Don't try to justify the Impreza to him; it won't help. He wants a GTI again, and the Impreza is not a GTI, and never will be.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #2914
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
What a great feeling.. getting up everyday, starting your new car, doing everything you can to be responsible and drive safe and economicaly as you have been and watching your efforts go down the toilet. Nice Feeling. Thanks Subaru for lying to America. OMG!!!!!! Oh man you pissed me off. That's why this car is a POS!!! Enjoy yours.
You're not alone. Some people have accepted it like they expect to get screwed, or are talked into accepting it. The 5 speed gets closer to the EPA rating so they don't know what it's like, but they are attempting to intimidate those of us with the cvt who expect to get what was advertised.

The ones with the 5 speeds who attempt to justify the lower mpg's of the cvt are just idiots.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #2915
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

I forgot
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #2916
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Sorry wrong forum please delete
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #2917
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post

Highway is 60mph maybe 65mph for about 17 of a 20 Mile commute since you asked.
I think your bumper to bumper is killing it. Unless the highway is bumper to bumper too
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #2918
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Be easy on VWGTI, guys. He gave up one of the funnest cars on the road (VW GTI) with a six speed, HID headlights, and so on and bought an Impreza with a CVT. He misses his GTI. He's blaming the Impreza's fuel economy because he needs to hang his hat on something. But in reality, he bought a car that was designed for a completely different experience, and now he's missing the GTI's coolness factor. Deep down, he knows that the fuel economy isn't really a big deal, especially since the GTI requires premium gas and the Impeza takes RUG.

Don't try to justify the Impreza to him; it won't help. He wants a GTI again, and the Impreza is not a GTI, and never will be.
This is true. Especially since premium costs 12.3% more than 87 e0 here, I assume similar differences in price elsewhere. As compared to e10 it is 13.8% more expensive.

If it weren't for the e10 in his gas, he probably would be getting epa combined
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #2919
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
If it weren't for the e10 in his gas, he probably would be getting epa combined
Agreed. But again, fuel economy isn't VWGTI's real complaint.

And it's not helpful to express how much you like your Impreza better than your previous car (a Civic was used as an example earlier). I (still) have a 1999 Civic, and I agree that the Impreza is better.

But that's not relevant to VWGTI, because he's comparing his Impreza to the GTI that he sold, and that's a hard comparison for the Impreza to win. The GTI has:
  • More horsepower
  • More torque
  • Crisper handling
  • Better seats
  • Better audio system
  • HID headlights
  • A nice 6-speed manual tranny (even though this might be why he got rid of the GTI, since he didn't want to deal with the clutch during his bumper-to-bumper driving)
  • Nicer gauges
  • Nicer switches
  • Interior ambient lighting
  • And so on

Comparing the GTI to the Impreza isn't fair because they're not even in the same league. The GTI is approaching an Audi in terms of niceness. The only Golf that the Impreza can be fairly compared against is the base gasser Golf. But that's not what VWGTI owned, so that's irrelevant too.

VWGTI is mourning the loss of his GTI. The five stages of mourning are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and finally Acceptance. Have sympathy for VWGTI, because he's straddling the Anger and Depression phases over the loss of his GTI. He's blaming the Impreza's gas mileage for his anger, but really he's probably depressed because he got rid of a car that he loved. If the only thing that was wrong with the GTI was that he had to deal with the clutch during his bumper-to-bumper driving, then he should have traded it in and bought a GTI with the DSG tranny.

The Impreza, especially one with the unenthusiastic CVT, was certain to disappoint him, regardless of the fuel economy. Even if VWGTI's Impreza was returning 32 MPG, he would still be disappointed. He bought the wrong car, he knows it, and now he's working his way through the mourning process as he decides what he's going to do about it.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #2920
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

The Impreza, especially one with the unenthusiastic CVT, was certain to disappoint him, regardless of the fuel economy. Even if VWGTI's Impreza was returning 32 MPG, he would still be disappointed.
Oh you are so sure of this grand wizard?... having such an "unenthusiastic" car and then to have it not perform as advertised in regards to fuel economy would of course be more than enough to start pointing ever other faults with this car(ESPECIALLY if fuel efficiency w/ awd was a major factor in said cars purchase)

Maybe MPG's wasn't a huge selling point for some of you and that is fine but don't go undermining other individuals legitimate issues with this vehicles fuel efficiency because of it. Makes you look unnecessarily ignorant...

Some will gripe about it more than others and though I still think overall this is a great car IMO I can absolutely understand anyone's discontent with this cars fuel efficiency based on advertised numbers NOT the fact the even though falling short it's still "good mpg's for an awd car".
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #2921
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
Oh you are so sure of this grand wizard?
Yes. And I think I have better perspective on this than you, because my previous car was a 2010 Golf TDI, which has many similarities to the GTI.

Having come from a diesel car, if anyone should be upset about fuel economy, it should be me. After averaging 42 MPG in my TDI, getting fuel economy in the low 30s in the Impreza can be discouraging. But I'm not upset about that--I knew what I was getting into before I made my purchase decision.

Both the TDI and GTI are significant upgrades over the gasser Golf, so I can appreciate more than you what VWGTI is missing. I feel his pain. I feel his loss. More than you can, Zauri, I get it.

So why aren't I upset about my current Impreza ownership?
  • Because my TDI was a reliability nightmare, so I'm appreciating the dependability of the Impreza. I don't know if VWGTI had any reliability issues with his GTI. If he didn't, then he doesn't know the grief I went through with my TDI, the dealership, and VWoA.
  • I love the AWD. Just took a trip up to the Adirondacks over the holidays, and got hammered with major snow on very hilly roads. The Impreza was super impressive. Living on Long Island, I doubt VWGTI has had a chance to experience this benefit yet.
  • I upgraded my Impreza's head unit with a Pioneer unit that makes the VW head unit seem comparatively weak.
  • The price difference between regular unleaded gas vs. diesel takes a huge bite out of the TDI's fuel economy advantage. VWGTI should enjoy paying for RUG instead of the premium gas his GTI required.
  • The insurance on the Impreza is much cheaper than on the TDI or the GTI. VWGTI is certainly saving money there.
  • The Impreza has much better visibility than the Golf. I would think that VWGTI would appreciate that, especially when doing his bumper-to-bumper driving. I know I appreciate that every time I check my driver's-side blind spot.

If VWGTI ever reaches the Acceptance phase of his mourning, he might come to embrace the advantages of his Impreza. Until then, he's not going to be pleased. If he's unable to reach Acceptance, then he should sell his Impreza and buy a GTI with the DSG tranny. He would certainly be happy with that.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #2922
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Having come from a diesel car, if anyone should be upset about fuel economy, it should be me. After averaging 42 MPG in my TDI, getting fuel economy in the low 30s in the Impreza can be discouraging. But I'm not upset about that--I knew what I was getting into before I made my purchase decision.
We're not talking low 30's.. we're talking about upper to mid 20's on some cases. He and many are griping about 'barely' being able to approach the 30 mpg mark in any way shape or form. Way below expected and even advertised.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
If VWGTI ever reaches the Acceptance phase of his mourning, he might come to embrace the advantages of his Impreza. Until then, he's not going to be pleased. If he's unable to reach Acceptance, then he should sell his Impreza and buy a GTI with the DSG tranny. He would certainly be happy with that.
Again, IF mpg's not only compared to previous cars but also what this car is currently rated was a focal point in deciding to buy the impreza then aside from all other factors the fact that this vehicle is clearly not meeting expectations of some consumers is and will be an absolute eyesore. Screw the "awesomeness" of the TDI. You don't buy a product based on manufactured backed claims and then just "accept" that product when it isn't meeting said expectations. (Correction.. some do.. others won't)

Just so you can see where he stated this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
.

I was not looking for the same fun factor as the GTI - was actually looking for the opposite, looking for a more practial DD, and since the Impreza Sprt Limted is AWD and offerred many of the refinement features of the GTI and an A/T figured it would fill the need. The problem now is yes, I miss the build quality of the GTI - Cant speak about TDI models but the GTI build quality far surpasses the Impreza IMO, the Impreza feels like a tin can compared to the GTI. And the fact that the Impreza's MPG's are this bad I would have been happier in the GTI.

Yes.. all of the other f/w drive cars suggested would disapoint me, but MPG's were a major factor considered when making my purchase, and I figured if I could get AWD an a/t and the advertised MPG's then I would be doing the right thing for my situation. Problem is, the advertised MPG's for this car are just not accurate. And b/c of that, I would rather have back the GTI since I would have been acheiving the MPG's I need and at least be happier while driving.
Carry on....
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #2923
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

The point was missed. I put the Civic up there because it get's 30 combined. THAT was the point. vwgti123 is basing his entire rant on 3mpg... AKA $140/year. Is that disappointing when other 30mpg combined vehicles do better? Sure. Is it within the stated EPA range? Yes. Is it something to melt down over? I think not.

If it's that big of a deal, contact the EPA. When they get enough complaints, it will be investigated like Hyundai. Then Subaru will send you a $100 gift card or whatever like Hyundai did... Or get rid of the car.

The other info was simply a comparison of another cheap car. Admittedly the GTI is a differently focused, more premium vehicle. But the argument is over efficiency. Specifically over a 10% lower reality than expected. So he still can't get a grip on reality. Most "enthusiasts" lean more toward passion than logic or reason and thus no argument or conversation will ever be sufficient. Now modifying my ignore list...
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #2924
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
Oh you are so sure of this grand wizard?... having such an "unenthusiastic" car and then to have it not perform as advertised in regards to fuel economy would of course be more than enough to start pointing ever other faults with this car(ESPECIALLY if fuel efficiency w/ awd was a major factor in said cars purchase)

Maybe MPG's wasn't a huge selling point for some of you and that is fine but don't go undermining other individuals legitimate issues with this vehicles fuel efficiency because of it. Makes you look unnecessarily ignorant...

Some will gripe about it more than others and though I still think overall this is a great car IMO I can absolutely understand anyone's discontent with this cars fuel efficiency based on advertised numbers NOT the fact the even though falling short it's still "good mpg's for an awd car".
the MPG and overall looks drove me from a Mazda 3. BUT i got this car thinking maybe i can get 33 mpg (i have the 5sp) if the conditions are correct, but i wasnt expecting to get 33mpg overall. I was expecting 28mpg overall (the combined number) and until it got cold that is what I was getting.

either way, i am perfectly happy with my choice.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #2925
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Having come from a diesel car, if anyone should be upset about fuel economy, it should be me. After averaging 42 MPG in my TDI, getting fuel economy in the low 30s in the Impreza can be discouraging. But I'm not upset about that--I knew what I was getting into before I made my purchase decision.
Quote:
The price difference between regular unleaded gas vs. diesel takes a huge bite out of the TDI's fuel economy advantage. VWGTI should enjoy paying for RUG instead of the premium gas his GTI required.
over here diesel costs 30% more, so if you are getting 25% less mpg than with the diesel you still come out ahead.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.