Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
scobbie-ts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270674
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza TS
BRP

Default The Ultimate sleeper? Planning to swap a full STI setup into an 03 bugeye wagon

Hey everyone. I am currently the owner of a 2003 Impreza TS A/T and I live in Maryland. The little guy has 190k on him and he's had a little trouble. The tranny is going bad and I prefer a manual anyway. I originally bought the car 60,000 miles ago for 4K just as a grocery getter but it's converted me into a diehard Subaru fan. My brother is a Mechanic with experience in everything from semi trucks, to Subaru's and Honda's and I've got a bit of experience with swaps but not in Subaru's, and we though instead of just replacing the transmission why not go all out an replace the whole darn drive train with an that of an STI???

So now I start this thread to get some info. I've been doing a good bit of research and haven't seen anyone to do a full STI swap into a bugeye wagon. I've found the tranny swaps and a few wrx engine swaps but no full STI swaps. If I missed it let me know cause though! East Coast Swappers has been recommended to me of course, but that just takes the challenge out of it!

So, to the point, it seems that a swap from an 04-07 STI would be pretty simple because the frame is all the same minus the crossmember, but what about an 08-2011 STI? It's a different body style so I wasn't sure if the full drivetrain swap would work as well as if it were an 07.

We plan on getting a full donor car from auction to ensure we have everything we need and I've found many MY08-2011 STI's for auction with minor damage and low miles. But it's a little harder to find MY06-07 STIs with low miles and minor damage.

To keep it sleeper I'm going to keep the stock Impreza hood I have now and do a black FMIC. I'm also planning on painting it a dark green, either Irish green or Cactus Green which is an Audi color once we get all the stuff out of it. Then once we get it running I would like to swap the STI interior in as well.

I've been asked multiple times why not just buy a wrx or an STI it would be cheaper. But then, wouldn't it be great fun having a 2003 STI wagon!?? Any advice you guys could give me would be great. We plan on doing the swap in the March-April time frame so keep an eye out for when we get started! I'll make sure to post pictures.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scobbie-ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

The swap has been done before...more sleeper is guys doing swaps into old GC wagons and old Legacy's.

Heck, I have customer with an STi swap into a 92 Legacy (the boxy one) but with a 2.43L destroked engine, built heads and GT4094R...and black FMIC

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you'll still be sleeping on plenty of people, so long as you keep it quite, no Subaru rumble and no lumpy cams.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
scobbie-ts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza TS
BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
The swap has been done before...more sleeper is guys doing swaps into old GC wagons and old Legacy's.

Heck, I have customer with an STi swap into a 92 Legacy (the boxy one) but with a 2.43L destroked engine, built heads and GT4094R...and black FMIC

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you'll still be sleeping on plenty of people, so long as you keep it quite, no Subaru rumble and no lumpy cams.
I've only seen one other bugeye with a swap and it wasn't a wagon and it was only the tranny with a wrx engine. That's just me though, and I've been looking a lot. GC swaps seem to be pretty popular actually due to the GC style being the lightest from my understanding. Bugeyes not so much. I've seen wrx conversions a bit with the bugeye and a few tranny conversions but no full swaps. I did see a blob eye wagon with wrx fenders on front and back with the sti tranny. That was wild looking to say the least. I do think the old legacy swaps are more sleeper though. you have that correct.

Of course it won't be the ultimate sleeper. but it's a nice thought I think.

If you know where one is on the forum though post it up cause I can't seem to find it.

As far as quite is concerned I was planning on the exhaust but just putting a silencer in end to keep the noise down. It'll be fun though to say the least and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
subsf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337710
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Kudos, I've had similar fantasies.

I have a gm6, but I've always thought about getting an OBS (because I've always loved the two tone fenders) with said full STi swap.

Post pictures so I can drool. :P
subsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
scobbie-ts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza TS
BRP

Lol. I will when I get some worthy one's. It's actually pretty hard to find a suitable drive train with reasonably low miles so I'm looking into other options.

I found a guy that has a PPG geared 5MT from a WRX and a guy who has a built 2.5 Longblock with all the engine components I would need for the swap other than the wiring harness, both with under 30K on them for reasonable prices. I'm thinking about doing that instead. Then getting some newer model STI interior components and modifying them to fit.

Once I decide on what I want and I buy the parts I'll make sure to post plenty of pictures! The install should happen in the next 2 months and I'll try and post a video or step by step of what I did and what problems I run into as well.