Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > BRZ Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default itwillboost's brz (pic heavy)

I picked up a 2013 sterling silver premium BRZ a while ago and while it will be an extremely slow build it will have some goodies added. So far I have hella horns and a set of enkei's. Nice mod will probably be an exhaust and body mods in the summer. I also have a fully built altima and a fully built 240 that I track. I have already driven this car extremely hard in the mountains and places. I love it.











* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Moar about the hellas plz.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Moar about the hellas plz.
What's your question ?
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

You just follow the DIY on FT86 or did you do something else? Mainly my question is about the relay; in the Subaru world before the BRZ it's always been installed from what I see. The DIY on FT86 says it's unnecessary.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Their is already a relay in the system, you can use a secondary one but that's up to you. I know people have done it both ways. If there is one thing I have learned with modifying cars and wiring it's simplier can be better.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
Their is already a relay in the system, you can use a secondary one but that's up to you. I know people have done it both ways. If there is one thing I have learned with modifying cars and wiring it's simplier can be better.
Isn't there already a relay on Imprezas too? Wiring sucks. Oh well, thanks for answering my questions friend!

My question now is....will it boost?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Splinter888
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 215962
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx
SGM

Default

Car looks sick Phil, wish I wasn't so caught up with school I'd love to get a ride in her! What enkei's did you get?
Splinter888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Isn't there already a relay on Imprezas too? Wiring sucks. Oh well, thanks for answering my questions friend!

My question now is....will it boost?
Wiring truly does suck lol, sorry I didn't help much. It likely will, my last 3 cars all went from na to boosted, it's just a matter of time. For now I want to get this car to about 260-270 whp in na form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter888 View Post
Car looks sick Phil, wish I wasn't so caught up with school I'd love to get a ride in her! What enkei's did you get?
Thanks, and they are just some older ones I am probably selling them and getting something wider though, I want 17x9's all around. Once summer comes it will be alot more fun to go for a spin in anyway.


I just came back from a trip in Vermont, everywhere I went people couldnt stop checking out the car. Lol, I have a ton of pictures this car drove really well through the snow and ice considering it's the stock tires and it's rwd.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
andrew20195
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343100
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
It likely will, my last 3 cars all went from na to boosted, it's just a matter of time. For now I want to get this car to about 260-270 whp in na form.
That's a lofty goal for an already high strung 2.0 liter. How do you plan on doing that?
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
That's a lofty goal for an already high strung 2.0 liter. How do you plan on doing that?
I would hardly call it high strung, and anyone who says 12:1 compression in this day and age is to risky hasn't spent enough time playing with all the new tuning software out there. It also helps in my pit crew I have a rocket scientist, a couple welders, and some other people who really help me bring everything together lol. Plus I can use a dyno pretty often.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Here are some pictures from Vermont.






Than after we finished 4 wheeling we got hammered and took a vis hood down the hill lol.

itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Masterauto
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delaware
Vehicle:
X5D Subaru BRZ
Nissan GT-R

Default

My 2c
Masterauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
andrew20195
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343100
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
I would hardly call it high strung, and anyone who says 12:1 compression in this day and age is to risky hasn't spent enough time playing with all the new tuning software out there. It also helps in my pit crew I have a rocket scientist, a couple welders, and some other people who really help me bring everything together lol. Plus I can use a dyno pretty often.
It's a 100 hp/liter engine. That's pretty high strung in my book. Your goal of 270 whp will put you around 300 crank hp. Unless you increase displacement or drastically increase the operating range of the engine, I think you'll have trouble reaching your 150 hp/liter goal.

I don't think playing with 12.5:1 is risky, particularly on a direct injection engine, and considering static compression doesn't really mean anything. Having easy access to a dyno and talented people is certainly a good thing.

I'm not trying to hate. I hope you prove me wrong, actually, but I just have doubts you'll be able to achieve your NA goal without getting into the engine. If you're gonna do that, you might as well build it for boost and make some real power.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
It's a 100 hp/liter engine. That's pretty high strung in my book. Your goal of 270 whp will put you around 300 crank hp. Unless you increase displacement or drastically increase the operating range of the engine, I think you'll have trouble reaching your 150 hp/liter goal.

I don't think playing with 12.5:1 is risky, particularly on a direct injection engine, and considering static compression doesn't really mean anything. Having easy access to a dyno and talented people is certainly a good thing.

I'm not trying to hate. I hope you prove me wrong, actually, but I just have doubts you'll be able to achieve your NA goal without getting into the engine. If you're gonna do that, you might as well build it for boost and make some real power.

I do plan on gaining alot of power from the head work and the manifolds. I know that is on how some of my previous cars I have seen the best gains. It's a long, boring process developing and making the headers but it's worth it. To give you an idea of how crazy I get here is a picture of a manifold for my 2000 altima lol. And I agree 270whp is quite a far fetched number, but I learned a long time ago you aim high, if I fall short I will not be disappointed. Personally I feel 50 more hp in the right powerband and your doing good. For boost I have two boosted cars already, it's time for some na fun. As far as wheels I have called a company if hopes they can sell me some wheels they have developed in Europe. I was looking at a couple of different colored te-37's though. Mostly black with a silver lip.

itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

These were rushed pictures and all I cared about was not scratching the trunk, but it gives you an idea. I have a friend who paints so he said he will color match it for 20, and I have wheels and tires already. The wheels are getting repainted now.







Also going to the dealership tomorrow to get the fuel pump fixed and have them check the trans out. It spits me out of 2nd sometimes, and I also keep backfiring in the cold. 5,500 miles that should not be happening on a new stock car.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

I have problems getting INTO 2nd in the cold, but I don't think it's ever kicked me out of 2nd.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

So wanna see how that wing mounts up! Nice find! I could've swore there was a different version of that wing with a different-looking mount... I just searched for JDM STI sedan wing and it seems to have the same mounts. I thought GT5 got their design from an already existing mount, but oh well. Thanks for sharing pics! Those rags are covering the contour of the trunk lid that causes the most concern.

I'm surprised I've had no problems with my gears. My WRX has scarred me for life with its gear issues.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Jive Turkey
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 219492
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Soviet Russia
Vehicle:
'13 Hachi-Roku
Discontinued.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I have problems getting INTO 2nd in the cold, but I don't think it's ever kicked me out of 2nd.
Same. Debatong switching to amsoil fluid wonder if it will help.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I have problems getting INTO 2nd in the cold, but I don't think it's ever kicked me out of 2nd.
That was my issue until last week. They need to issue a bulletin or something for this, I am not trying to have to rebuild a transmission on a brand new car because the synchro wasn't machined right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
So wanna see how that wing mounts up! Nice find! I could've swore there was a different version of that wing with a different-looking mount... I just searched for JDM STI sedan wing and it seems to have the same mounts. I thought GT5 got their design from an already existing mount, but oh well. Thanks for sharing pics! Those rags are covering the contour of the trunk lid that causes the most concern.

I'm surprised I've had no problems with my gears. My WRX has scarred me for life with its gear issues.

I will get you better pics once it warms up, and I stop working dark to dark lol. I can't complain all the ot has resulted in more money, which means more rice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Same. Debatong switching to amsoil fluid wonder if it will help.
I am swapping fluids as soon as the dealer sees the problem. Once they can't blame it on me it gets changed. Tomorrow it's getting dropped off at 7 am.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #20
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
I am swapping fluids as soon as the dealer sees the problem. Once they can't blame it on me it gets changed. Tomorrow it's getting dropped off at 7 am.
Dealer told me to **** myself. Car spent 6-8 hours there and they did NOTHING except fix the GPS and enable the alarm. There's no door rattle and the transmission shifting rough 5/6 and not letting me into 2nd is "normal" behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Same. Debatong switching to amsoil fluid wonder if it will help.
Heard same viscosity fluid hasn't helped much.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

I am dynoing my car saturday at 11 am at JDS if anyone wants to stop by.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
andrew20195
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343100
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I'm surprised I've had no problems with my gears. My WRX has scarred me for life with its gear issues.
This isn't a Subaru transmission, though. It's a slightly re-engineered version of the S2000 transmission, so it shouldn't have rough shifts. Interestingly, I read the long term test driver BRZ at Edmunds.com also developed a more difficult shifting action, while their Scion FR-S hasn't. It's possible there's a bad batch.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

I know is an Aisin. It's pretty much what sealed the deal on my getting a BRZ. I was pretty much done with Subaru as a brand since I no longer felt like I NEEDED AWD. If the BRZ didn't exist, I might've gone Veloster Turbo or Ford Focus ST since the Scion brand bugs me too much up here in Alaska (or maybe as a whole). Although I'm sure I would've folded and picked up an FR-S and made it a GT-86 asap.

My comment just meant that I've become overly paranoid of gear "abnormalities". With my WRX, I was told that crunches when I shifted were "normal", but when my 3rd and 4th gear stopped engaging, I knew that was BS. Seeing as how this ISN'T a Subaru transmission, I trust it MUCH more. I'm still cautious, though, because of the WRX. With my STI I shifted in reckless abandon.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

I have numbers o.O. that torque dip at 3k looks so bad. This car stock sounds great on the dyno though.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
itwillboost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289693
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Sterling Silver Met.

Default

Video, I really can't wait for the fun to begin.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.