Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #3126
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
05 Legacy GT Wagon
G37xS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post

Re: A4/325/G37 comment: That's what I really like about the '05-09 Legacy - it aspired towards up-market, but the '10+ shifted back towards Camry/Accord. That's probably another reason for lost interest in the GT (that, and the cable-operated shifter, and the non-sporty looks, and little marketing (aside from the hood-scoop ad), and...).

So, SOA Blog, here's what I think happened: the '05-09 models pushed the boundaries of near-luxury, bringing Legacy buyers upmarket, then the Legacy back-pedaled and moved back down-market, Legacy buyers didn't want to move back down-market, so we then started looking at Audi & BMW instead of following the Legacy back down.

The downside for us enthusiasts still in the Subaru fold is that mainstreaming the Legacy has been rather successful for bringing in new buyers, meaning that Subaru will probably continue that trend.

Ditto! I loved my 05 Legacy GT limited wagon. It was reasonably upscale and classy looking with utility and performance at a reasonable price. I regretfully sold it a couple of years ago and am starting to look for a replacement for my current ride.......and there's nothing at all that interests me that is a wagon,is sporty looking, has AWD, looks good, 250hp or better and is less than 35K. So now I find myself shopping the used car sites looking for a well maintained 05-07 Legacy GT limited wagon.


The 10' Legacies were definitely a move to appeal to the Camry/Accord crowd of which I do not aspire to belong to...


Sorry, no question for you here....just some rambling rant........
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #3127
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufu View Post
Starlink....Subaru...7 Sisters...

Aha Radio and Eyesight, that's 2. Can I assume we will see 5 more new technologies for Subaru's Starlink in the near future?
Bluetooth, iPod integration, Navigation, Homelink... *shrug*
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #3128
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
Ditto! I loved my 05 Legacy GT limited wagon. It was reasonably upscale and classy looking with utility and performance at a reasonable price. I regretfully sold it a couple of years ago and am starting to look for a replacement for my current ride.......and there's nothing at all that interests me that is a wagon,is sporty looking, has AWD, looks good, 250hp or better and is less than 35K. So now I find myself shopping the used car sites looking for a well maintained 05-07 Legacy GT limited wagon.


The 10' Legacies were definitely a move to appeal to the Camry/Accord crowd of which I do not aspire to belong to...


Sorry, no question for you here....just some rambling rant........

The 05 legacy was a bargain.. agreed.. but you can't make money on a bargain. So either the price had to go up or some product actions had to be made. Legacy today is still great value, but maybe not the steal it was in '05.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #3129
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

You can create customer loyalty on a bargain, though. I can't wait for Subaru to get big enough to re-introduce the Legacy GT sedan and wagon and the manual Forester XT. Maybe things will change once Subaru starts producing more product in America?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #3130
subySerb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155411
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
07 Impreza
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
SOABlob

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2453123

I know it is pure rumour and speculation, but pay attention! A BRZ shooting brake (and a convertible) should be looked into. I am not currently in a position to purchase a new car, however this is something that would work (and in a few years when I am re-established I would buy)

-Ben
SOABlog --> SOABlob--> SOABob
subySerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #3131
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
SOABlob

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2453123

I know it is pure rumour and speculation, but pay attention! A BRZ shooting brake (and a convertible) should be looked into. I am not currently in a position to purchase a new car, however this is something that would work (and in a few years when I am re-established I would buy)


-Ben
You want this thread:
Suggestions to SOA: Ref. Future Models
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #3132
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subySerb View Post
SOABlog --> SOABlob--> SOABob
SOABlob and I have an understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Yes I did, damned NASIOC APP (ok, it's really my fat fingers )
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #3133
manticus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
You can create customer loyalty on a bargain, though.
Not really.

The problem with "bargains" is that they're:
A) not profitable, and
B) risk losing a lot of loyal customers when prices are raised

So, every year you have a bargain, you get more sales (which can be detrimental to profits if you're losing money per vehicle), and when you end it a large percentage of those customers will not buy again.

Its similar to a price leader strategy - sure, you can sell your stuff to price shoppers for a while and inflate your numbers, but price shoppers are also notoriously likely to jump ship the second your prices go up. Better to produce something at a profitable amount, market its quality, and attract the customers that really value quality.

So what's the result of a "bargain" deal? Lots of unprofitable sales and lots of runoff when the sales end. It's definitely not a good position to be in.
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #3134
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

No, you CAN create customer loyalty with bargains... if you continue the bargain. You fell right into my trap, manti!

Seriously, I do agree with you. I only left that line to see who would pick up on it. I'm a sad individual.

That's how I've seen this whole redesign thing. People on NASIOC keep saying, "Oh, these cars are so ugly," but the numbers are only INCREASING. Subaru is only getting more recognition. Even my friends and family are being turned on to the current models of Legacy and Impreza. Personally, I don't really care what they look like anymore, I just want my turbocharged Legacy sedan and wagon to come back.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #3135
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
05 Legacy GT Wagon
G37xS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
The 05 legacy was a bargain.. agreed.. but you can't make money on a bargain. So either the price had to go up or some product actions had to be made. Legacy today is still great value, but maybe not the steal it was in '05.
Agreed, but I would have preferred you guys decided to up your pricing to be more profitable vs. downgrading/decontenting the model. I'd pay closer to 35k for the same 05 Legacy Gt Limited wagon if you were still making it today.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm having a harder and harder time justifying the cost of new cars these days..........
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #3136
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171797
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
Agreed, but I would have preferred you guys decided to up your pricing to be more profitable vs. downgrading/decontenting the model. I'd pay closer to 35k for the same 05 Legacy Gt Limited wagon if you were still making it today.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm having a harder and harder time justifying the cost of new cars these days..........
yes, you might but there are not enough people like you. If we'd have increased our pricing in 2008, we'd be selling half the 170,000 we used to sell, not the nearly double we are selling now.
SOA Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #3137
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
yes, you might but there are not enough people like you. If we'd have increased our pricing in 2008, we'd be selling half the 170,000 we used to sell, not the nearly double we are selling now.
Unfortunately, this is true. If Subaru went up market with the Legacy GT they would get closer to the S4 and 335i xDrive and that market is not really looking at Subaru. We Subaru owners are looking at Audi/BMW, but it doesn't really work the other way. SOA barely sold the GT at a good price, now increase it and it's even worse. We would win, but SOA would lose.

Frankly, the current WRX is the same size as the BP Legacy GT. If SOA wanted to fill the gap, they could make a luxury model. Or, just release the Sportwagon that has been shown as a concept lately.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #3138
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
05 Legacy GT Wagon
G37xS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA Blog View Post
yes, you might but there are not enough people like you. If we'd have increased our pricing in 2008, we'd be selling half the 170,000 we used to sell, not the nearly double we are selling now.

Yes, understood. The car buying masses drive the product produced.......and what the masses seem to care about is an appliance mobile that gets them from point A to B and has no soul.

So that leaves folks like me either spending serious coin on a BMW/Audi or ??? buying older used products .............
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #3139
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
Yes, understood. The car buying masses drive the product produced.......and what the masses seem to care about is an appliance mobile that gets them from point A to B and has no soul.

So that leaves folks like me either spending serious coin on a BMW/Audi or ??? buying older used products .............
I, too, wish it was less about the numbers. I'd much rather stretch for a $35k+ Legacy that has what I love about Subaru than stretch for a $42k+ luxury model elsewhere.

Snow Drift makes a good point that the 3G WRX/STI are basically the 2005-2009 Legacy. They definitely lack the refinement of the Legacy, so emphasis on "basically".
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #3140
derkahn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 123160
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: denver
Vehicle:
05 obxt
bnr 20g e-85 wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
Post this here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2#post38829112

SOA Blog can't discuss future models.
fine don't answer my future models question answer the question of why subaru won't offer options that other companies (cough mini) gladly offer at a premium ill pay..
is it still a future model question if they offer it in other markets???

-SOA can subaru offer headlight washers and recaro seats please.. lot of people will pay for em..
derkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3141
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
4 Train - Subway
Past: 05, 08, 11 Red WRXs

Default

SOA Blog, any response to the news that SOA is no longer funding the Grand-Am Subaru Road Racing Team run by Phoenix? Source: http://www.grand-am.com/tabid/141/ar...mance-200.aspx

I find this very disappointing.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #3142
banyan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181013
Join Date: May 2008
Location: いいいいいい
Vehicle:


Default

SOA Blog, why are you not offering AWP with 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium? Please don't tell us that there is not enough demand for AWP in a Subaru
banyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #3143
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
Yes, understood. The car buying masses drive the product produced.......and what the masses seem to care about is an appliance mobile that gets them from point A to B and has no soul.

So that leaves folks like me either spending serious coin on a BMW/Audi or ??? buying older used products .............
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I, too, wish it was less about the numbers. I'd much rather stretch for a $35k+ Legacy that has what I love about Subaru than stretch for a $42k+ luxury model elsewhere.

Snow Drift makes a good point that the 3G WRX/STI are basically the 2005-2009 Legacy. They definitely lack the refinement of the Legacy, so emphasis on "basically".
Selling refrigerators allows SOA to sell fun things like STI's and BRZ's, even though they need to be "dumbed down" so the masses can help support the program. Look at it this way, SOA gives us a canvas and says "enjoy"

Refrigerators are a good thing.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #3144
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
Refrigerators are a good thing.
Especially when mounted on skids/sleds....
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #3145
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
05 Legacy GT Wagon
G37xS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
Selling refrigerators allows SOA to sell fun things like STI's and BRZ's, even though they need to be "dumbed down" so the masses can help support the program. Look at it this way, SOA gives us a canvas and says "enjoy"

Refrigerators are a good thing.
took me a minute to get what you were saying...I'm with you now.

Agreed that the WRX/ STI and BRZ are their fun, exciting models. Unfortunately they don't work for me space-wise. The 05 Legacy I had was my first Subaru and it had everything I could ask for, sportiness, utility, looks, decent luxury and awd. I was very happy with my first Subaru and thought , wow, what a great car and brand . I was definitely looking to replace it with another Subaru. When I went to replace it they didn't have anything equivalent for me to upgrade to as the new Legacy was a downgrade and the Tribeca isn't sporty. Funny, I thought the Legacy was supposed to be Subaru's flagship model


Anyway, I'm still watching the future lineup from Subaru and maybe someday they'll come out with something that suits me.
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #3146
sir_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71549
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyan View Post
SOA Blog, why are you not offering AWP with 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium? Please don't tell us that there is not enough demand for AWP in a Subaru
Agree. The Forester is a high volume model for Subaru in the US-market. There should be enough demand for a practical option such as this across several versions of the vehicle.

While we at it, how about offering a sunroof option on the Crosstrek with manual transmission SOA?
sir_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #3147
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_wagon View Post
Agree. The Forester is a high volume model for Subaru in the US-market. There should be enough demand for a practical option such as this across several versions of the vehicle.

While we at it, how about offering a sunroof option on the Crosstrek with manual transmission SOA?
My bad, dawg, but you want this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1080743

Beautiful idea, though! Crosstrek and Forester are ideal candidates for 6MT turbodiesel. Need more torque!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #3148
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
My bad, dawg, but you want this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1080743

Beautiful idea, though! Crosstrek and Forester are ideal candidates for 6MT turbodiesel. Need more torque!
I would buy a used turbodiesel 6MT Foreseter a few years post release SO hard for use as a winter beater. The BRZ purchase knocks out any new car purchases for the foreseeable future.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #3149
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

I agree. I think the only car I would desire more is that BRZ STI Concept. Gimme dat butt and dem wheels!

SOA Blog:

Can you convince them to release the BRZ STI Concept body kit, pllleeeeasse?!
At least the fender badge that reads "STI" that's also used on the BRZ GT300.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #3150
hardingsan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: pittsburgh, pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Beautiful idea, though! Crosstrek and Forester are ideal candidates for 6MT turbodiesel. Need more torque!

2x. i would trade up in a heartbeat.
hardingsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM goes for hip with shotgun blog NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 5 01-31-2007 07:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.