Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
AlexxAnDerDisco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320638
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default TurboXS CAI: need custom map or AP tune?

I have a 2009 WRX Sedan, and as of right now the only installation I have made is a Cobb AccessPort. I just purchased a TurboXS Cold Air Intake, and have not put it on yet. The part number is WS08-CAI. Now, having said that, I have no idea if this will throw a code or not. I've read that it will, and I've read that it won't. I tried to find some maps to download that would run this mod, but Google searching didn't turn anything up (unless I'm just not searching the right thing). I didn't see this anywhere else in the forums, so I decided to start a brand new topic about it. Anyone that could help me, I would appreciate it a lot. I just don't want to do anything to hurt my car. I know I can safely run this part, but I'd like some insight on exactly how that is before I make the installation. Thank you guys in advance!

-Alexx
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AlexxAnDerDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
CO11WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304018
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
TP Stage 1

You will need a custom tune to safely run this intake on your car. Cobb only offers OTS maps for the AEM and Cobb SF intake so you will not be able to use any of the Cobb OTS maps. Having said that, Torqued Performance offers a custom map specifically for the Turbo XS intake. I would suggest contacting Torqued Performance for more information. Its $85 for the Stage 1 maps which is a good deal IMO. Plus, you can send your data logs to TP who will then make any changes if needed. I am running the TP stage 1 map for the Cobb SF intake and love it so far. Just FYI, I would definitely not install the intake until you have at least a base map ready to go. Definitely do not try to use any of the Cobb OTS maps. At the very least, you will need a custom map from someone like TP to safely run this intake.

Edit. Take a look at www.torquedperformance.com If you click on the Accessport maps for your specific vehicle, you will see the Turbo XS listed as a supported intake (the part number you listed is the same one shown on the TP site, so you should be good).

Last edited by CO11WRX; 01-31-2013 at 04:52 PM.
CO11WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
AlexxAnDerDisco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320638
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Is this guaranteed to hurt my car if I run it for even a little while before a tune? I tried to find some information and like I said, I saw information on both sides from both car enthusiasts and shops/salesmen/websites alike. I just don't have the 85 currently after the parts I bought, I guess I'm just a little impatient lol
AlexxAnDerDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
CO11WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304018
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
TP Stage 1

This is what Cobb says about installing any aftermarket intake on an +08 (please note when they say they offer OTS maps, its only for the AEM and Cobb SF intakes):

"Calibrations All aftermarket intakes for 08+ Subarus require tuning in order to ensure the MAF sensor reads properly and the engine operates within safe parameters. COBB Tuning has you covered with Off-The-Shelf Maps for the AccessPORT, making it as easy as install, flash and go! Head over to the Subaru AccessPORT Map Database to view the full selection of SF Intake Maps for your vehicle."

If it were me, I would not run this intake without an appropriate tune. Could you? Sure...but you will be taking a risk. Chances are it would not cause your engine to pop immediately but over time it could cause some major damage. The real unknown is how long you could go without a tune. I am not sure if it will throw a CEL or not but either way you would be running an intake which your ECU is not calibrated for. Again, in my opinion, I would be on the safe side and wait until you can get it properly tuned. I just would not want to risk potentially causing thousands of dollars damage to my car. Maybe some others can chime in with their opinions.
CO11WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexxAnDerDisco View Post
I have a 2009 WRX Sedan, and as of right now the only installation I have made is a Cobb AccessPort. I just purchased a TurboXS Cold Air Intake, and have not put it on yet. The part number is WS08-CAI. Now, having said that, I have no idea if this will throw a code or not. I've read that it will, and I've read that it won't. I tried to find some maps to download that would run this mod, but Google searching didn't turn anything up (unless I'm just not searching the right thing). I didn't see this anywhere else in the forums, so I decided to start a brand new topic about it. Anyone that could help me, I would appreciate it a lot. I just don't want to do anything to hurt my car. I know I can safely run this part, but I'd like some insight on exactly how that is before I make the installation. Thank you guys in advance!

-Alexx
Hi there. For your car, we only have off-the-shelf (OTS) maps for the stock intake, Cobb SF intake, and AEM intake. No other intakes should be used with these maps. The Mass Airflow (MAF) set-up on modern Subarus (and other cars) is very sensitive to changes in the specific intake used which can cause inaccuracies in the load calculation if the intake is not calibrated for in the map. This can cause load errors which results in problems with fueling and timing and potential engine damage. The check engine light (CEL) that can occur when using the wrong intake for the map (over time) would be related to extreme long-term fuel trims. However, the threshold to trigger this CEL is quite extreme, so even if you don't get a CEL with an intake, it does not mean that everything is OK. Engine damage can potentially occur even without a CEL when using an intake without the proper map calibration.

That said, you can certainly get a custom tuned map for your intake. See the list below of some of the protuners and e-tuners that tune for the AccessPORT.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Dealer-Ret...or-s/70471.htm

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote