Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
opramwew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37397
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (SoCal) 90640
Vehicle:
12 WRX Hatch
WR Blue

Impreza WRX need recommendation for adjustable upper arm assembly for 2012 WRX

Hi,
Does anybody have a recommendation for a maker of rear adjustable (for camber adjustment) upper arm assembly for a 2012 WRX?
Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
opramwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg "2+" 300hp/360trq

Default

no one makes one. WL designed and tested one, but never released for production.

get a lower control arm instead. there are offerings made by Cusco and GT-Spec.
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
jamal
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71875
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montana
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

Default

Pretty sure MSI makes an upper arm. TIC would be able to get them.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg "2+" 300hp/360trq

Default

havent been able to source any MSI part for this. not through google or their website.

MSI does make front lower A-arms though (for 2002-2007) no 2008+ goodies
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
opramwew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37397
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (SoCal) 90640
Vehicle:
12 WRX Hatch
WR Blue

Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Pretty sure MSI makes an upper arm. TIC would be able to get them.
Thanks, I emailed MSI and they said they are $1950....
opramwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
opramwew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37397
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (SoCal) 90640
Vehicle:
12 WRX Hatch
WR Blue

Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
no one makes one. WL designed and tested one, but never released for production.

get a lower control arm instead. there are offerings made by Cusco and GT-Spec.
Thanks, I took a look at the Cusco and GT-Spec, think I am going to go with the GT-Spec.
opramwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
jamal
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71875
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montana
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
havent been able to source any MSI part for this. not through google or their website.

MSI does make front lower A-arms though (for 2002-2007) no 2008+ goodies


Pretty hard to make compared to an LCA. And a little more than I expected them to be.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
calebtharrell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242113
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard (Asheville), NC
Vehicle:
2004 STi, 2008 STi
2002 WRX

Default

Apparently the ones Whiteline were trying to produce had problems with production. Two outside manufacturers broke their super expensive machinery trying to produce them.
calebtharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg "2+" 300hp/360trq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post

Pretty hard to make compared to an LCA. And a little more than I expected them to be.
Yeah I saw those after some deeper searching. I don't think they are quite in production yet, hence not on their site.

And I heard that the WL units had fatigue problems. I believe it. Look at how beefy the MSI units are. And the stock arms are the only part of the rear suspension (other than spindle) made of cast iron. I guess they take a lot of load.

The MSI stuff def looks like quality, and I'm sure the welds and spherical joints are all quality. $2000 puts it well outside the affordability range for just about everyone though. I am aware that MSI mostly caters to the pro motorsports market.

I even think $500 for the Cusco lower arms is a bit much.

Last edited by gsrcrxsi; 01-31-2013 at 09:34 PM.
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

I was speaking to Doug from Whiteline (the guy who designs most of this stuff) back at PRI 2010 about the Whiteline version. They aren't ever going to happen. The issue they were having was to do with fitment. They could make them work with an OEM shock, but with some coilovers at some ride heights they didn't fit properly. Whiteline didn't want to release something that wasn't going to work universally the way replacement LCAs do, so they eventually scrapped the project. I was pretty disappointed since we were the original vendor who announced these back in 2009 and we had a ton of interest in them.

The best set up for an 08+ WRX or STi are adjustable LCAs and replacement bushing for the OEM upper control arms. Super Pro makes the fixed/non camber adjustable bushings for the upper control arms. Cusco, SPC, GT Spec and Agency Power all make LCAs and that is the exact order that I like them in. Cusco makes the nicest ones, but SPC are half the price and get the job done. I'd buy one of those two... Unless you want to spend $2k on those upper control arms that is.

-Geoff
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
opramwew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37397
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (SoCal) 90640
Vehicle:
12 WRX Hatch
WR Blue

Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusPerformance View Post
I was speaking to Doug from Whiteline (the guy who designs most of this stuff) back at PRI 2010 about the Whiteline version. They aren't ever going to happen. The issue they were having was to do with fitment. They could make them work with an OEM shock, but with some coilovers at some ride heights they didn't fit properly. Whiteline didn't want to release something that wasn't going to work universally the way replacement LCAs do, so they eventually scrapped the project. I was pretty disappointed since we were the original vendor who announced these back in 2009 and we had a ton of interest in them.

The best set up for an 08+ WRX or STi are adjustable LCAs and replacement bushing for the OEM upper control arms. Super Pro makes the fixed/non camber adjustable bushings for the upper control arms. Cusco, SPC, GT Spec and Agency Power all make LCAs and that is the exact order that I like them in. Cusco makes the nicest ones, but SPC are half the price and get the job done. I'd buy one of those two... Unless you want to spend $2k on those upper control arms that is.

-Geoff
Thanks, I contacted SPC and they said the price is $274.93 per arm and that I need two, so the price is $274.93X2.

"Those control arms are the same for both sides. You would just need to order 2 x 67645 to make both sides adjustable for your Subaru."
opramwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opramwew View Post
Thanks, I contacted SPC and they said the price is $274.93 per arm and that I need two, so the price is $274.93X2.

"Those control arms are the same for both sides. You would just need to order 2 x 67645 to make both sides adjustable for your Subaru."

Hmm I don't know how to say this without possibly vending in the tech section but we sell them for less than half of that $264.95 shipped for a pair.. Buying parts directly from the manufacturer is never going to get you as good of a deal as buying from a shop.
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
calebtharrell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242113
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard (Asheville), NC
Vehicle:
2004 STi, 2008 STi
2002 WRX

Default

Sorry if this isn't the place for this comment. But, I just bought some of the Cusco LCAs and was looking into getting stiffer bushings for the Upper arm. I see that Super Pro and Whiteline both make non camber adjusting versions.

Cygnus - do you know which Brand has the stiffest bushing? Also, I know that Whiteline is in the process of releasing their version of the LCAs. They seem to have multiple mounting points for the coilovers/struts and endlinks. Is that true? Because I have seen some input where people didn't like the fact that all of the LCAs currently on the market move the bottom mounting point on the strut outwards.
calebtharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebtharrell View Post
Sorry if this isn't the place for this comment. But, I just bought some of the Cusco LCAs and was looking into getting stiffer bushings for the Upper arm. I see that Super Pro and Whiteline both make non camber adjusting versions.

Cygnus - do you know which Brand has the stiffest bushing? Also, I know that Whiteline is in the process of releasing their version of the LCAs. They seem to have multiple mounting points for the coilovers/struts and endlinks. Is that true? Because I have seen some input where people didn't like the fact that all of the LCAs currently on the market move the bottom mounting point on the strut outwards.
They are actually both exactly the same durometer of 80, but that doesn't mean they are the same. From what I have been told the Whiteline version is made in Korea as a lot of their parts are now a days. The Super Pros are 100% designed, built and tested in Australia and are backed by a lifetime warranty. You also have to remember that all urethane is not created equal. Urethane of the same hardness from one company might be much more prone to cracking or could be less flexible etc depending on the formula. If it were my car I'd go with Super Pro. They also happen to cost significantly less, so it's a win win.

I have no firm info on the Whiteline LCAs. They are not in the US and may not be in the US for a very long time. From what I have been told the first batch also might be BRZ only. Sorry for the vague info there. Personally I think both Cusco and SPC are great options which are available now instead of "probably eventually." Any other questions just let me know I'm happy to help.

Thanks,
Geoff
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
calebtharrell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242113
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard (Asheville), NC
Vehicle:
2004 STi, 2008 STi
2002 WRX

Default

That's great info! Thanks for all the help. I already have the Cusco arms so I plan on changing the upper arm bushings, trailing arm bushings and going with some adjustable toe arms. Do you have a recommendation as far as those go?

I just want to go ahead and upgrade everything in the area then get a solid alignment/corner balance all at once.
I looked at the Cygnus website and you guys seem to have great deals, i will probably be making an order with you guys soon.
calebtharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
CygnusPerformance
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 201606
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: http://cygnusperformance.com
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebtharrell View Post
That's great info! Thanks for all the help. I already have the Cusco arms so I plan on changing the upper arm bushings, trailing arm bushings and going with some adjustable toe arms. Do you have a recommendation as far as those go?

I just want to go ahead and upgrade everything in the area then get a solid alignment/corner balance all at once.
I looked at the Cygnus website and you guys seem to have great deals, i will probably be making an order with you guys soon.
No problem at all, always happy to talk about parts For the toe arms there are a few options. I have not seen issues with any of them. I happen to think the Whitelines are a pretty good value for what they are, but if you want something that is even less SPC look good too. There is just limited info on those since they aren't on a lot of cars yet. Glad you like our site. Any questions or if you're considering any options we haven't discussed here just let me know. I agree with the plan of doing it all at once then getting aligned and corner balanced. No reason to pay to do that stuff twice.

Thanks,
Geoff
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.