Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #1501
Juicy2013WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336351
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brookfield, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2013 WRX LIMITED
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

I would like to go to a larger wheel and tie combo on 2013 wrx hatch. 245 or 255 / 40/ 18 x 9 or 9.5. With an offset of + 40 to +53. Do not want to roll the fenders. Will there be rubbing issues?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Juicy2013WRX; 01-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Juicy2013WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #1502
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy2013WRX View Post
I would like to go to a larger wheel and tie combo on 2013 wrx hatch. 245 or 255 / 40/ 18 x 9 or 9.5. With an offset of + 40 to +53. Do not want to roll the fenders. Will there be rubbing issues?
Please edit your post to not include the Wall of Quote.

The answer to your question is yes. If the offset is on the lower end (+40), and the tire is a 255/40R18, it might rub. 255/35R18 would be safer.

--Dan
Mach V
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1503
Juicy2013WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336351
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brookfield, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2013 WRX LIMITED
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
Please edit your post to not include the Wall of Quote.

The answer to your question is yes. If the offset is on the lower end (+40), and the tire is a 255/40R18, it might rub. 255/35R18 would be safer.

--Dan
Mach V
Thanks for the response. I'm looking to go slightly larger, without rubbing. 245/40/18 closer to a +53 offset would be safer?
Juicy2013WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #1504
Speeddemon420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334964
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW Texas
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

I have done a lot of reading in this thread and am still not sure what tire size I should go with. I have a set of gramlight 57D's - 18 x 9.5 +38.

I want to put a set of Michelin SuperSports on these. I was thinking 265/35/18 or 275/35/18. For both of these I will need to roll my fenders right?
Speeddemon420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #1505
J_Maher_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290307
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon420 View Post
I have done a lot of reading in this thread and am still not sure what tire size I should go with. I have a set of gramlight 57D's - 18 x 9.5 +38.

I want to put a set of Michelin SuperSports on these. I was thinking 265/35/18 or 275/35/18. For both of these I will need to roll my fenders right?
The Super Sports run VERY wide. The 255's on those are square on 9.5" wheels. You definitely don't need to go any bigger. You will need to roll the rear fenders, though not much.
J_Maher_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #1506
Speeddemon420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334964
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW Texas
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
The Super Sports run VERY wide. The 255's on those are square on 9.5" wheels. You definitely don't need to go any bigger. You will need to roll the rear fenders, though not much.
Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to run a 255/40/18 with the stock suspension and the rear fenders rolled?
Speeddemon420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #1507
J_Maher_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290307
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon420 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to run a 255/40/18 with the stock suspension and the rear fenders rolled?
Definitely don't want to run 255/40's, that's an extremely tall tire over 26" diameter. Stock WRX tire is 25.3" diameter, while stock STi is 25.7" diameter. Due to the WRX's taller gearing, going with a slightly shorter tire like the 255/35 (25") will help gearing. And the STi in turn will benefit from a slightly taller tire as it has fairly short gearing. So if you have an STi, the size you mentioned would work fine. If you own a WRX, you want the 255/35s.

If you do go with the taller tire though, you will def need to get more aggressive with the rolling, and potentially even have to roll the fronts though I'm not sure on that one.
J_Maher_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #1508
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy2013WRX View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm looking to go slightly larger, without rubbing. 245/40/18 closer to a +53 offset would be safer?
That would easily fit, since that's the OEM STI tire size and offset.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #1509
zolaman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299059
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Cali
Vehicle:
12 WRX hatchback
SWP

Default

People here needs to read this entire post before asking a question. I read from pages 1-56 and it helped me choose the wheel/tire spec for my needs. Most answers are already here...just saying.
zolaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #1510
Juicy2013WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336351
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Brookfield, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2013 WRX LIMITED
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
That would easily fit, since that's the OEM STI tire size and offset.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Thank you very much Dan.
Juicy2013WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #1511
mosc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 177401
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
2004 STi White
16G powered lagless fun

Default

Dave, how much strut clearance does this platform have? OZ makes the Ultraleggera in 18x9" +55 (clears brembos). Theoretically that gives a lot of fender clearance for 265 or even 275 but that's a whole lot closer to the strut than stock. Thoughts?
mosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #1512
Ultimateone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48025
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: By the Ocean, MA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Ice Silver Mettalic

Default

What would you guys recommend for a wide 255/35/18" tire? decent pricing
Ultimateone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #1513
NWsoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289516
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PNW
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
What would you guys recommend for a wide 255/35/18" tire? decent pricing
Take it to PMs.

Last edited by nhat; 01-30-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: No selling in Technical
NWsoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #1514
xing1399
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 345426
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

love the fitment on these rotas
xing1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1515
zergling
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 195573
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SSF, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post




--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
Conti DWS, 275/35R18.


Swift springs.


Yes.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Thanks to Dan's post on his Rota D-Force thread, I now have a(nother?) very useful data point as far as fitting Conti DWS tires (which I happen to currently run year-round).

- 275mm at +40 offset clears on swift springs and rolled rear fenders. (97.5mm of tire after the hub)
- Swift springs for 08+ STi's are 252 lbs/in front and 235 lbs/in rear and drops 0.8"
- In comparison, RCE "regular guy" black springs are a little stiffer at 275 front 250 rear, (275/250) are slightly stiffer than swifts (252/235), so that makes things slightly even better
- Since I want to run "only" 255/35/18 or 255/40/17 of the same tire, I can in theory go with an offset as low as +30.5 and still be ok. Though I think I'll stick to +35 to +42
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #1516
NWsoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289516
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PNW
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWsoobie View Post

Take it to PMs.
Sorry. I meant to and brain pooped it.
NWsoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #1517
b0yt0y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334294
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
WR Blue

Default

Hi guys! I just got my 2013 wrx a month ago and I'm still new in this kind of stuff. Would a 18x9 +40 wheels and 265/35 R18 tires work on my 2013 wrx sedan? Will there be issues? Would it look nice on the car? I'm not planning to drop the car for now, so that means no rolling right?

Thanks in advance
b0yt0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #1518
J_Maher_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290307
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0yt0y View Post
Hi guys! I just got my 2013 wrx a month ago and I'm still new in this kind of stuff. Would a 18x9 +40 wheels and 265/35 R18 tires work on my 2013 wrx sedan? Will there be issues? Would it look nice on the car? I'm not planning to drop the car for now, so that means no rolling right?

Thanks in advance
Read the first page of this thread.... Lol in short, yes, no, your opinion, yes...
J_Maher_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #1519
mcuzzin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292732
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert,AZ
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

Any recommendations on rear camber setup?

I am currently lowered on fortune auto coils and have no rear camber adjustment. I am maxed at -2.5* on stock wheels/tires. When I go to a 17x9 +30 or 18x9.5 +38 with either 255 or 265 tire, will there be a need for more camber? (+rolling rears of course.)
mcuzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #1520
b0yt0y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334294
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post

Read the first page of this thread.... Lol in short, yes, no, your opinion, yes...
Thanks for the reply

Yes sir! I did read the first page and other pages, but all i see there is 18x9.5 and I'm just aiming for a 18x9. If I'm fitting on 18x9.5 I wouldn't be asking this question. Since I don't know if everything will work fine on a 18x9 +40 - 265/35R18 without dropping it, thats why I asked people here.

Thanks again
b0yt0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1521
Nawratil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306659
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Round Rock, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Obsidean Black Pearl

Default

It is thinner so it will fit even easier than the 18x9.5
Nawratil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #1522
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0yt0y View Post
Thanks for the reply

Yes sir! I did read the first page and other pages, but all i see there is 18x9.5 and I'm just aiming for a 18x9. If I'm fitting on 18x9.5 I wouldn't be asking this question. Since I don't know if everything will work fine on a 18x9 +40 - 265/35R18 without dropping it, thats why I asked people here.

Thanks again
this is why you need to learn how to use offset calculators to calculate comparable fitments with different size wheels...

use some common sense.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #1523
J_Maher_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290307
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0yt0y View Post

Thanks for the reply

Yes sir! I did read the first page and other pages, but all i see there is 18x9.5 and I'm just aiming for a 18x9. If I'm fitting on 18x9.5 I wouldn't be asking this question. Since I don't know if everything will work fine on a 18x9 +40 - 265/35R18 without dropping it, thats why I asked people here.

Thanks again
Think about it, if a 18x9.5 will fit fine, a half inch smaller width wheel with the same size tire and offsets will obviously fit fine.. It'll have even more clearance
J_Maher_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1524
Cathartic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336202
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Default PSS on Work XT7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
The Super Sports run VERY wide. The 255's on those are square on 9.5" wheels.
Firstly, my thanks to everyone who has posted all of the fantastic info in this thread. It has been extremely helpful to me (though I definitely still have lots to learn).

I've been looking at the Work Emotion XT7's in the 18x8.5 +46 5x100 size for my 2013 WRX hatch (stock suspension). Unfortunately, they don't seem to come in 9.5 with the 5x100 bolt pattern, so I'm limited to 8.5 if I want these wheels. From what I have learned in this thread, that size should be perfect for my needs anyway, and avoid the need for fender manipulation (not that I'm opposed to rolling - I just think 245's or 255's on the higher offset wheels will meet my current needs and won't happen to require the roll).

So, my question... I would like to go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and have been reading in several places that they run quite wide. Given this, I have to imagine that the PSS in 255/35/18 would be way too wide for the 8.5's. But what about 245/35/18? Do they run so wide that even the 245's would be too wide for the 8.5 wheels? I know that stock STI's are 245's on 8.5's, so under normal circumstances, the fitment should be fine - I just don't know how abnormally wide the PSS's are.

If the 245's will fit well, then I think going with Sc00by4life's favorite size of 245/35/18 might be the way to go. Otherwise, I'll need to consider other tire/wheel choices.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!
Cathartic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #1525
J_Maher_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290307
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathartic View Post

Firstly, my thanks to everyone who has posted all of the fantastic info in this thread. It has been extremely helpful to me (though I definitely still have lots to learn).

I've been looking at the Work Emotion XT7's in the 18x8.5 +46 5x100 size for my 2013 WRX hatch (stock suspension). Unfortunately, they don't seem to come in 9.5 with the 5x100 bolt pattern, so I'm limited to 8.5 if I want these wheels. From what I have learned in this thread, that size should be perfect for my needs anyway, and avoid the need for fender manipulation (not that I'm opposed to rolling - I just think 245's or 255's on the higher offset wheels will meet my current needs and won't happen to require the roll).

So, my question... I would like to go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and have been reading in several places that they run quite wide. Given this, I have to imagine that the PSS in 255/35/18 would be way too wide for the 8.5's. But what about 245/35/18? Do they run so wide that even the 245's would be too wide for the 8.5 wheels? I know that stock STI's are 245's on 8.5's, so under normal circumstances, the fitment should be fine - I just don't know how abnormally wide the PSS's are.

If the 245's will fit well, then I think going with Sc00by4life's favorite size of 245/35/18 might be the way to go. Otherwise, I'll need to consider other tire/wheel choices.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!
Well I personally said **** it I'm going to run 255/35s on my 8.75" width wheel, even though it has a tread width of 9.5". The 245 you are referring to has a tread width of 9". Here is a link to a 2011 wrx with 18x8.5" wheels and 245/40/18 PSS:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspen...rx-2011-a.html

As you can see, it doesn't appear to bulge too dramatically, and you clearly are benefiting from the wider tread. For comparison, a 255 PSS had 9.5" tread while a 255 Hankook v12 Evo has only 8.7"!! Almost a full inch of difference between tread width, which is clearly substantial. So like I said I'm going to run 255's on my 8.75" wide wheels, it should bulge only ever so slightly than the car in the above link, which I don't think will be too bad. I like the meaty look anyways as long as it is proper fitment
J_Maher_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed: Stock Impreza/WRX/Legacy wheels and tires to fit '01 Legacy L acetmi Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 06-14-2006 12:43 PM
need somewhere to get wheels and tires asap bubba03wrx Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 22 04-02-2004 09:14 PM
Wider wheels and tires in the rear SilveRexy03 Tire & Wheel 14 11-04-2003 04:49 PM
WEre is a good place to buy wheels and tires MilfordSubaru Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 4 05-25-2002 01:14 PM
Where to buy wheels and tires? wilddave1 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 03-21-2002 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.