Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Well I'm glad my suspicions are nothing abnormal. At least I know what I am looking for. Man I feel like a chudd :/
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
wrx1392
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342331
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: tehachapi Ca.
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
blue

Default

i just did a forged build and i have a bit of noise ,and not always but once in a while a puff of smoke at start up .im ck oil every day during the break in. yeah if you stick your head under the hood you hear all kinds of stuff that worries you .i dont have jectors or a tune yet so i need to keep the boost kinda low .
wrx1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1392 View Post
i just did a forged build and i have a bit of noise ,and not always but once in a while a puff of smoke at start up .im ck oil every day during the break in. yeah if you stick your head under the hood you hear all kinds of stuff that worries you .i dont have jectors or a tune yet so i need to keep the boost kinda low .
A built motor doesn't require injectors or a tune as long as you kept all of the parameters the same as stock (same compression, same cams, etc). If you didn't, then you get to get tuned for whatever you changed, regardless of how "low" the boost is.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post

A built motor doesn't require injectors or a tune as long as you kept all of the parameters the same as stock (same compression, same cams, etc). If you didn't, then you get to get tuned for whatever you changed, regardless of how "low" the boost is.
For me everything but the heads were touched.

Edit: for the most part... all the usual/popular stuff was molested when the built motor went in hahaha

Last edited by kapp_badbloodz; 02-06-2013 at 02:47 PM.
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
the suicidal eggroll
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
For me everything but the heads were touched.

Edit: for the most part... all the usual/popular stuff was molested when the built motor went in hahaha
Being "touched" doesn't really matter, what matters is if the parameters of combustion were changed (IE: displacement, compression ratio, valve lift/duration, etc). Swapping from a hypereutectic 8.2:1 piston to a forged 8.2:1 piston doesn't matter from the tune's perspective, but switching from an 8.2:1 piston to a 9.5:1 piston sure does.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post

Being "touched" doesn't really matter, what matters is if the parameters of combustion were changed (IE: displacement, compression ratio, valve lift/duration, etc). Swapping from a hypereutectic 8.2:1 piston to a forged 8.2:1 piston doesn't matter from the tune's perspective, but switching from an 8.2:1 piston to a 9.5:1 piston sure does.
I have a huge learning curve to get over. Ugh my brain... I've learned so much over the past few months my brain hurts
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
ckyguy68
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316296
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Metro Detroit
Vehicle:
2006 STIROID
10.5@131 on 29psi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
I have a huge learning curve to get over. Ugh my brain... I've learned so much over the past few months my brain hurts
Don't think too hard into it. A lot of posts in this thread need to digress back to your original concern on piston slap.
ckyguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Just an update.

I guess there is a difference between warm and warmed up. Typically I would warm the car for 20 minutes before I drive anywhere. It would make the noise in the video I posted.

Now I get home from work (12-15 minute drive) doing quite a bit more engine braking and going up to 4k RPMs than I normally do. Get out the car and pop the hood...

Nothing... no sound.

I must be high :/
I think this all too often ^^^ I must be lol
Andrewxxcarlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #34
danger1138
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279525
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: QUEENS NY
Vehicle:
04 rex luger!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyguy68 View Post

Just idling the car to warm it up will not quiet noisy pistons. You have to drive the car somewhat spirited to get the pistons to expand. That would explain why it is quieter after a long drive. If your tune is safe, I would run it hard for a few pulls and immediately pull over and pop the hood. If it has noisy pistons the noise should have gotten noticeably quieter, and it seems you have already witnessed this. I don't think you're high!

It's hard to tell in the video because of the high idle, but it doesn't sound that bad... If it were a bearing it would be hammering alot more.

This is what my .0035" clearanced JEs sound like after idling for ~5 minutes on a 80* day, idling around 1,050 rpm. After a couple 30 psi pulls, she's almost silent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvu3X2vw7s
That ish sounds sick!
danger1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post

That ish sounds sick!
Dude that thing sounds like a monster. His car looks like a massive pissed off black praying mantis. I like it.

Edit: car is running fine since I'm taking everyone's advice. I'm getting rid of the stumble and tuning immediately after so once I beat on it a while I will let y'all know what's up.

Also, the bov is leaking. I am swapping that for the OEM one. Anyone have a good suggestion for a 100% full recirculating BPV? Way off topic but since we're all here :/

Lol
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
cosseywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276443
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Abilene, TX
Vehicle:
2005 2.1 stroker WRX
OBP

Default

I have a tial bov that im happy with.

Sounds nasty man i dig the whip
cosseywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #37
wrx1392
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342331
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: tehachapi Ca.
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
A built motor doesn't require injectors or a tune as long as you kept all of the parameters the same as stock (same compression, same cams, etc). If you didn't, then you get to get tuned for whatever you changed, regardless of how "low" the boost is.
i put a 16gxt on it ...yeah i need a tune and jectors,keeping the boost low untill i can get this done .it has a old cobb stage 2 reflash 91 0ctane. so im sure it is leaning out under boost.i hear some pinging if i get in the boost too fast. i dont think cali gas is even 91 any more .so trying to be safe with it untill i find a tuner .im inbetween bakersfield and lancater Ca. so if any one can recommend a tuner ????.
wrx1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #38
ckyguy68
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316296
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Metro Detroit
Vehicle:
2006 STIROID
10.5@131 on 29psi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
That ish sounds sick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Dude that thing sounds like a monster. His car looks like a massive pissed off black praying mantis. I like it.

Edit: car is running fine since I'm taking everyone's advice. I'm getting rid of the stumble and tuning immediately after so once I beat on it a while I will let y'all know what's up.

Also, the bov is leaking. I am swapping that for the OEM one. Anyone have a good suggestion for a 100% full recirculating BPV? Way off topic but since we're all here :/

Lol
Thanks guys!! A HKS SSQV bov can be set up with a recirc fitting.
ckyguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #39
flat4STIgma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 234156
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
05 wrx
wrb

Default

its amazing how our cars are likened to the relationship of a new mother to her child. My build finished last september, I felt every time the car started it would surely result in a fatal noise. Especially being my first build, any abnormal noise, scent or sight was exacerbated by my imagination. Just as most on here would agree its simply good judgement to pay close attention, particularly after an engine build; however my builder now has my phone number on speed dial.

Anyway I digress...

The noise is normal, I have Cosworth pistons in mine as well. I've not experienced a great variety of forged pistons but i can tell you mine sounds identical to the video. Also increasing chatter until driven under load after a 10 min. warm up. The oil consumption is somewhat expected considering the nature of these pistons. I'm unsure as to what could be considered "normal" as every case study yields a different result; some burn unnoticeable amounts, others i know currently experience a 2qt loss between 3k oil changes.
flat4STIgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #40
cosseywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276443
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Abilene, TX
Vehicle:
2005 2.1 stroker WRX
OBP

Default

1qt loss every 1k miles is within limits per subaru
cosseywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #41
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat4STIgma View Post
its amazing how our cars are likened to the relationship of a new mother to her child. My build finished last september, I felt every time the car started it would surely result in a fatal noise. Especially being my first build, any abnormal noise, scent or sight was exacerbated by my imagination. Just as most on here would agree its simply good judgement to pay close attention, particularly after an engine build; however my builder now has my phone number on speed dial.

Anyway I digress...

The noise is normal, I have Cosworth pistons in mine as well. I've not experienced a great variety of forged pistons but i can tell you mine sounds identical to the video. Also increasing chatter until driven under load after a 10 min. warm up. The oil consumption is somewhat expected considering the nature of these pistons. I'm unsure as to what could be considered "normal" as every case study yields a different result; some burn unnoticeable amounts, others i know currently experience a 2qt loss between 3k oil changes.
I couldn't have said it any better! Great way to sum it all up.

The past two days I've been watching my oil carefully. No change to the sandwich plate adapter (still tight), oil levels are unchanged, and my oil pressure is optimal (idle @ 34psi and under throttle @ 88-90psi).

Still got the chatter. Even just driving to work it still remains but very VERY quiet. I guess it isn't till some higher speeds/heavier loads I can expect to not see any changes but I have experienced it once with no chatter as described before.

Bought some rails/FPR so once I install those and tune out the stumble and the tuner clears the car for full boost and abuse I will give you guys a more thorough update.

Back at work now where I am constantly razed about my car. Should be a busy day :/ hahaha
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #42
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosseywrx View Post
1qt loss every 1k miles is within limits per subaru
Per Subaru and their built motors? I'm confused :/
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #43
No Limit Motorsport
NASIOC Storefront Vendor
 
Member#: 131945
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Medford, NY
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Gunmetal

Default

I know it is a bit of a drive, but I would be more than happy to take a listen to your engine. I have acquired an ear for these engines/cars over the years.
No Limit Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
kapp_badbloodz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203327
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Limit Motorsport View Post
I know it is a bit of a drive, but I would be more than happy to take a listen to your engine. I have acquired an ear for these engines/cars over the years.
I may make the trip up to say hi sometime. You (assuming this is Adam) were very helpful and personable and I enjoyed our conversation on the phone. Maybe after tuning and I get everything squared away I can make the longer trek to get up there. Its not a terrible drive... I've driven further for less important things. I'll shoot you a PM and arrange something in the next week or two.
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.