Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #151
icanfly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 176929
Vehicle:
2005 STI Powered Dub
Carbon Black

Default adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge_terror View Post
how did you figure out the bolt hole location for the adapter plate? did you use the paint transfer method?
I'm running a Kennedy Eng. Kit, Subaru 2.5 adapted to Porsche 911-901 5spd. They have an entire package that is "turn-key" that you just bolt together including flywheel / PP / Clutch (options for staging) that comes with all the hardware for install.

Just as a alternate to the OutFront products.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by icanfly; 01-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.
icanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #152
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103663
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

Hecker Machine out of Portland Oregon makes adapter plates too as another alternative, choice if good

I'm also flywheel/pp/clutch (stage 2) from KEP.
RonW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #153
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

anyone know who i contact to ask permission to post info for a possible group buy for a reverse ring/pinion conversion kit i'm trying to organize? i can just post a thread link to a different forum that most of the conversation will be had around the details if they want. i dont want to get in trouble if that is a no no.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #154
icanfly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI Powered Dub
Carbon Black

Ron - I'd start with all the vw sites you can think of.. this product is of most use to that demographic. I honestly don't know how many folks here would interested (outside of us swappers that is...).

PM me if you want to talk resources offline. I also have a friend that is looking to go this route with his build as well so I might be able to add at least one body to that list.

As a side question, what are the two biggest problems you ran into regarding getting the engine setup for the first ignition test?
- More specific Question 1: What was the biggest wireing hurdle you had to overcome
- More specific Question 2: What was the biggest engine side hurdle you had to overcome

thanks.

Last edited by icanfly; 01-29-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: be-tardo
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #155
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

youre probably right. there is a thread on the STF so see if you buddy wants to chime in there. i heard that when it was done in 2011, they tried to post on thesamba but the moderator wasnt responsive to the post.

==================

question 1:
it wasnt too bad cuz i had very good help from Britain. he had done the same motor so he pointed me in the right direction with regard to what he kept and what he omitted. i put together a list for a friend doing something similar with the stock ecu/harness

----------------------------------

Need:
AVCS L and R
Knock sensor
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Coil output 1-4
Injectors output 1-4
MAP sensor
TPS
IAC sensor
IAT sensor
Coolant temp sensor
MAF sensor
Front 02
VSS
Wastegate control solenoid valve (but I ended up using a MBC)

If you have TGV you will need that kept

I also reuse:
Diagnosic connector, SSM/GST communitcation for OBDII
Main Relay
Fuel pump relay
Fuel Pump controller
Rear Defogger switch (you can use this to trigger the data logger on several systems)
Engine speed output (used with my modified stock tach)
Radiator fan relay 1 and 2 control
Check engine light (still need to wire that up)
Coolant temp and Oil pressure warning light (still need to wire that up)

I did NOT keep/use:
AC switch
AC relay control
TGV (jdm didn’t have it)
Blower fan switch
Torque control 1 and 2 signal
Torque control cut signal
EGT signal (jdm doesn’t have)
Power steering oil pressure
Fuel level sensor
Rear 02 sensor

also, i used the stock o2 sensor to keep the ecu happy and running correctly but i use an LC-1 wbo2 to log and tune with.

-------------------------
at one point i thought i had a bad oem front o2 sensor but i just have it wired wrong and once i fixed that it ran perfectly.

==============

question 2:
wiring was definitely the biggest hurdle. besides that, no one particular area was overwhelmingly worse just different. the radiator and lines were a pita to make look as invisible as possible along with having to figure out the fuel cell. i ended up having to make my own header and down pipe and the bell mouth didnt vent the wastegate fast enough at low boost so i ended up having to go with an external waste gate. the oil pain was too low and scrapped so i had to modify one and get KillerBee to make a custom pickup for me. i had the fuel line routed incorrectly initially. i thought that there were 2 tubes, one to each fuel rail but not so, i was feeding into the return line so it would die after <5 min running and made the fuel pump work like hell. i still need to do the little radiator for the water air intercooler and of course, the tranny is waiting in the wings and that will bring its own challenges.

boy if i were reading this and hadnt started, i'd probably have second thoughts lol but its been fun.

Last edited by RonW; 01-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #156
RSti_Spyder
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120907
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Meyers Manx #85
1400 Lb 930 Trans 04 STi

I know that feeling right about now...
RSti_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #157
icanfly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI Powered Dub
Carbon Black

don't be scared RSti!

I just got all that red9 suspension mounted... you don't even want to know what I went through to get that rear coil-over setup installed...

at least you didn't just realize that the steering knuckle on your hubs are on the rear of the axle line and not the front of the axle line... meaning you have to reverse your steering output.... DAMN!!!!

Ron - great insights. thank you for the clear response!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #158
RSti_Spyder
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2012 Meyers Manx #85
1400 Lb 930 Trans 04 STi

I understand the rear steer vs front steer thing as I am using a right hand drive 996RSR steering box flipped on my car to make it work. Glad you have the suspension mounted. I am still working on the Mendeola suspension installation. Slowed by no engine intake/awic/exhaust the figure out height.
And yes Ron is helping all of us visualize our problems!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #159
pksystems
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345896
Vehicle:
1966 Porsche 912

subbed...

I'm doing the same thing to my '66 912
pksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #160
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksystems View Post
subbed...

I'm doing the same thing to my '66 912
awesome, great to hear. post up a thread so we can see the project. if you're gonna go suby tranny, go over to the shoptalkforums.com for the group buy being organized for the reverse ring pinion. if you are gonna stick to the 901, i'll be selling my adapter stuff in the fall most likely if you are interested.

cheers,
ron
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #161
icanfly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI Powered Dub
Carbon Black

I'd also love to see what you are getting up to PK!
are you considering any modifications to the transmission? Now that Ron is changing out to the SubyBox I'd love to know if anyone doing this setup on the 901 is considering "building" their 901 box?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #162
RSti_Spyder
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2012 Meyers Manx #85
1400 Lb 930 Trans 04 STi

Just as an FYI, I have a 901 trans that was "race prepared" by one of the guys in Maverick PCA I bought from him 10 years ago to put in my Super Beetle. If someone wants it make me an offer...
Sorry for thread jack.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #163
pksystems
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345896
Vehicle:
1966 Porsche 912

I will eventually use the suby tranny with the reversed r&p. I've almost finished rust repairs, and the roll cage. My '66 is now LWB, and will use full supension/brakes off '86+ 911's.
pksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #164
vorbash21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346253

Hey,
I have just finished a Subaru engine and ECU conversion on my 1976 VW Bus. I bought a 1995 Subaru Legacy and I took all the stuff I need for the conversion off this Subaru. The problem I am having is I thought I pulled the right box for the immobilizer but I didnít and I no long have the car. The bus will start but will not stay running because I donít have the immobilizer. There are two wires coming off the ECU for the immobilizer, one red and one blue. My question is, is there away to keep the bus running without the immobilizer. 2. Can I remove the immobilizer from the ECU? 3. Can I use a bypass box to bypass the immobilizer? Last question is there anything I can do? I have pictures if you need to see this vehicle. The the ECU number is (R9 A18-000 RR3, 22611 AB441). Any help would be great. If you need to PM me just let me know. Thanks
vorbash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #165
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorbash21 View Post
Hey,
I have just finished a Subaru engine and ECU conversion on my 1976 VW Bus. I bought a 1995 Subaru Legacy and I took all the stuff I need for the conversion off this Subaru. The problem I am having is I thought I pulled the right box for the immobilizer but I didnít and I no long have the car. blah blah blah
A 1995 Legacy doesn't have an immobilizer.

And there are surely other threads that would have been better to post this in, rather than hijacking this thread with a completely unrelated question.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #166
spydrb8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114591
Vehicle:
73 vw super beetle

Ron, I was looking for you at the AAS autox in Marina on Sunday, but I think I missed you. If I remember right, you got in on the reverse R&P group buy correct?
spydrb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #167
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

ya, i was planning on it but by the end of the Sat Alameda AX a few guys mentioned that my Right rear look like the suspension was saggen which it kind of did. worried something major was wrong i bailed. i have a quick change access to the torsion bars so i pulled it and it was fine, check the shock and it was fine. the quick adjust swing harm was bottomed out so i guess somehow it got loose and was at its lowest setting. fixed it and its all good again. had me worried. but bummed i missed that AAX on sunday i wanted to check out brits performance on that course but he broke after their Brits first run (during Alans run sometime) blew second gears. guess i know now that 11"/12" meats front rear, e85 and 18lbs boost is not gonna fly with 901, DOH! Brit and Alan stopped by my place friday night for a few beers and got to really check it out close and personal. that thing is so amazing, the motor, suspension, aero... too cool.

yep, on the r/p group buy and waiting for the 10th, you get in on it? i'll have several projects in the pipe for this coming winter but she should be bullet proof after that!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #168
spydrb8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114591
Vehicle:
73 vw super beetle

Yeah, I got in on the group buy early on, I'm Humble on STF and germanlook.net. Ambryn hit me up before he even started the thing to see if I wanted in. He's another local and already modded his trans case so I'm going to pick his brain when I do mine.

Brits car was crazy quick on cold tires and would have been a TTOD contender for sure if the trans hadn't given out. Got to give the 901 credit though, he's put it through a lot of abuse before it finally died.

You and Britain and a few others have finally convinced me to go to the dark side, so I started my own swap thread here.
spydrb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #169
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

I figured that was you Humble but wasnt sure. Ya, i was buggin Ambryn too when i went up to pick up the support bar from him. glad its gonna work out for us. cools we've got so many guys doing similar swaps so close. ive torn into my 901 before to put fresh seals and swap gears but never ring/pinions stuff so ive got some trepidation but seeing it done and guys around incase i flail give confidence.

brit was ttod up here on sat, beat a 997 gt3 by well over a sec and he was haulin. i think that was the first day with the new injectors and incr from 14 to 18 lbs boost and all that aero so that 901 was just waiting to blow. im confident he will rework the gears to a straight cut 2nd and 3rd with LSD and run with it cuz that subframe for the Lotus is built for the 901.

at the sat AX i did take of in 1st but stayed in 2nd the rest, i should have tried 3rd but wasnt sure it was gonna get me much if i soon after had to shift back to 2nd so i didnt. in the end i did do a 60sec which i was happy but no where near the 52 for ttod. just for completeness, here is my run

Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #170
stoich68912
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350291
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912

Very nice work!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you've documented as it's been of great help as I start to work through a similar swap.

Any big changes you have planned or are you fairly satisfied (minus the rear suspension/brake upgrade) with it's current state at this point?
stoich68912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #171
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

stoich,
the 901 is gonna go bye bye at some point. ive got the wrx 5 speed and reverse ring/pinion on the way as well as an LSD for it. we've organized a group guy so if are liquid and can join, let me know, we've got 9 and the vendor really wants 10 to ship to US. its been running for a month or so but will end next week.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=141928

besides that, been happy. still little bugs here and there i need to work out but she is such a joy to drive! i cant imagine it any other way to tell you the truth.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #172
stoich68912
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350291
Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912

Oh, that's right - I saw the new trans a page or so back. What kind of work does it entail to fit that trans? Have you already noted any body clearance issues or is it as simple as adapting the mount location?

I'm going with a 915 trans with lsd for the time being and getting my outer stubs modified. I hope it keeps me happy for a while.
stoich68912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #173
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

Head scratcher here, maybe its normal but help me out here:

So like you've likely figured out, motor in back, radiator in front with lines running under the car. there is a bleed line running from top of radiator back to the turbo tank. I've put a "T" for this bleed at the radiator, one for return and one for an Autometer digital temp sensor. I would expect the temp the ecu reads is gonna be a tad different than the gauge. the other day i was driving to work and the dash temp read out at the radiator starting climbing and climbing to 230*, no fan running. it was morning in SF so i let off and it started to drop some and i was just about to pull into work anyway. i jumper the fans for the way home so it ran fine. never acted like his in past.

I got home and hooked up the laptop and started watching the coolant temps from ecu and it was reading significantly lower than the temp at the radiator so basically the ecu just wasnt getting to temp to threshhold to trigger the fans. i reflashed it with lower fan threshhold temps so i could test more.
findings:
-on start up, the ecu reads ~ambient temp and warms up accordingly radiator temps raise ~same.
-if i drive around the radiator coolant temp on driving will climb to 210* while the ecu is reading like 185* and is the threshold for triggering the fans and it starts to cool again and the temps drop.
-if i let it idle for some time they come close to being equal
drive again and the discrepancy repeats pretty quickly

i have an IR temp tool and gathered more data:
-crossover tube: pretty much what the ecu is reading ie 175* tube while ecu is 180*.
-motor to radiator tube will be 195* while the dash is reading like 200* so i think each sensor is reading accurately
-L head, ~195* at the base of the intake
-R head is approx equal to L read at similar locations

what could cause this difference? stuck T stat?

Last edited by RonW; 03-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #174
RonW
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1968 Porsche 912
STi v8 Spec-C conversion

worried it was an air pocket, i jacked it up from the front and ran the motor, jacked from rear and ran it, ran it hard on the road and still the same thing. it wouldnt run over 192* measured at the motor but would climb to 210* at the radiator.

Last edited by RonW; 03-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #175
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

If the flow goes the way I think it does, it would seem like your temps are backwards. I would think the temp the ECU is seeing (from the coolant cross-over, thus "hot" coolant coming out of the engine) would be higher than the coolant temp returning from the radiator. I'm no help, I'm just confirming that what you're seeing seems strange.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote