Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334164
Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

Default built 02 wagon

Hey guys so I've been doing lots of research but just wanted some feed back. I recently purchased a 02 wagon with Sti swap. Engine had a spun bearing. So I pulled it out to see how bad the damage was, and to my surprise things weren't that bad. Crankshaft was not in tolerances or the rod that spun the bearing. Pistons were still good and cylinders Mic'd out within tolerances as well. So I decided to rebuild the engine rather than swapping my ej22t in its place. I've purchased some cp pistons and element H beams. Also got some ACL bearings and a new crankshaft. The car came with
APS SR/40
APS fmic
Mishimito radiator w/ shroud and fans
Sti 6 speed
703 case halves
Aftermarket headers, up pipe and divorced down pipe.
So I'm not sure what year the engine and transmission came out of. Called the local dealership and despite my best efforts, they won't return my calls or take the time to track the info down. Based on research I've done. I'm guessing both came from 04 sti. I plan on doing the oil cooler relocation to under scoop. Was thinking about the 11mm oil pump. And Cobb accessport for break in period. I don't have stock sti parts to break in engine with. So this is my first real build. Have my father in law who is experienced with rebuilds but not subaru. So looking for suggestions on engine management and if I should upgrade cams. Don't know if this turbo would need something like tgis
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DrCataract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

Sorry phone glitched. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the aps turbo. I will b daily driving and maybe a few auto x events. Hoping this setup can get me 300 to 350 whp. Am I forgetting anything? All input would b greatly appreciated or anyone that could help to identify some of these parts. Think I'm going to need the year of engine for accessport... right?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

By the way I live in a small redneck town. The dealership I got car from didn't even realize it was a sti swap. Thought it was a modded wrx. So they didn't know anything about the car and I haven't been able to track down.the previous owner to get more info. He left some paperwork for tires and breaks but had AZ address. I bought the car in ID
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

So the case halves are the 701 case halves. Not 703. I have the serial numbers off the halves. i have the numbers off the heads too. Case halves B25C 701. On the bell to the transmission 148938-147035. Left head LH20v B351642 006. Right head RH20v C673928 008. Im also pretty sure fmic is Aps DR725. The fuel injectors are the pink topfeeds. Any suggestions or help tracking this stuff down would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
oldandslowjim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259570
Default ap

the ap you would need is bested on the ecu you are using if original 02 then a[-001] if sti then[-002] and i would think later 2.5 wrx would also use[-002] any block/internal should be the same the heads appear to be 2l. heads but i thought the us heads were marked as S20 and i assume it did not have avcs this would make it a hybrid.[2.5l block with 2l heads] jim
oldandslowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
oldandslowjim
Scooby Newbie

Default tune

this car almost certainly has same kind of tune already with the diff. size engine and injectors and you didn't say but poss. diff. turbo unless it has aftermarket ecu or a complete sti swap including the ecu you could post what turbo it has jim
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

Car came with an APS SR/40 turbo. What will b noticeable difference between the sti and 02 ecu? Would I benefit any from using the 2.5L heads? How about the heads on my ej22t? From what I understand the 2.2 heads weren't the greatest. But I have 2.5 heads off a 97 legacy GT. Not sure if they would b a good idea where its not a turbo engine. Thanks for feedback. I'll do some research on heads too. I also want to eventually upgrade to a bigger twin scroll turbo set up. Especially since getting replacement aps parts is going to b a pain. Don't know how much influence this should have on my current build.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

So I did some research on hybrid engines. Sounds like the most I'm gonna wanna do is make sure combustion chamber is ported to match the 2.5 block. One member said he used the sti headgasket to do his own cnc. So in theory I should b able to line the gasket up with the heads and see if the heads have already been matched to the SB. What's a good way to tell whether I have sti or wrx cams? Prolly upgrade them just to b safe but might not if I knew for sure they were at least sti. Thanks again for all the advise. I would've never guessed heads were 2L. And I never would have checked combustion chambers either before reinstalling heads.. wich prolly would've led to det... wich would've made me a sad panda!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
oldandslowjim
Scooby Newbie

Default cams

they have part #s or you could measure the lift as this is the diff. between sti/wrx you could also check to see if they are drilled and plugged behind the pulley(this was for the avcs) jim
Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

So apparently I'm way too picky about this build to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. So I've decided to drop my ej22t into my STi swapped wagon. From research I've done I should b able to do so without swapping the ecu as long as I use the sti intake manifold. Is this true? Will I need anything else to make this work. Plan on using sti goodies. Fmic, turbo and possibly headers. Any input would b greatly appreciated. This is just temporary till I finish the hybrid engine the car came with.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
DrCataract
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX STi
WRB

I have both cars. So any parts ill need to make it work I should have access to. Coming out of a 93 ss.