Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 317679
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

I blocked off my secondary air injection ports and removed the system today.

That was the most difficult thing I've done on the foz yet. Took eight hours!

I started off thinking id spend an hour or two maybe and started ripping the system out. At that point I was committed and had to finish.

Fyi, the plates nate posted about only half worked without modification. The passenger side fit just barely but the drivers side requires you to drill the holes out for a larger bolts and you have to slot them cause the bolt pattern is narrower slightly. A drill press would be the easiest way to do that.

I pulled out the pump, plastic drivers side tubing in front of the injectors, drivers side valve(round thingy with with plug), and the aluminum 30 angled plate where the air actually enters the block. Then capped off that side with the modified plate. Nothing had to be removed to do this part besides the system itself. That doesn't sound too bad does it? Keep reading.

For the passenger side the plate is right behind the uppipe about 1/3" away from it. Nothing I know of can get that out without removing the pipe. To get the uppipe out though you have to remove the down pipe cause theres a nut that had no clearance from it until its off.

To remove the down pipe I had to take off my turbo blanket and down pipe blanket. Then when I tried to remove the uppipe theres no room to get it out so I had to remove the headers.

I was relieved when I got the pipe off and finally undid the bolts. Boy was I disused and pissed off to find out its a metal pipe going from the valve on that side and those two bolts to remove it are behind......wait for it........... The turbo! I had to remove the turbo to be able to fully remove the original piping.

But, to remove the turbo the whole intercooler had to come off. Not too difficult.

I was pretty fed up at this point as you can imagine. I pulled everything off the turbo except the coolant inlet line(to keep me from pouring coolant all over my garage floor). It was flexible enough to move out of the way with that one line attached.

I finally got the two tiny bolts out holding the piping to the valve. I left that valve in due to the difficulty involved. Looks like the manifold may have to come off for that one. No thanks. Also right before the valve is the air pressure sensor. I left it alone. Then I took a utility knife and cut the hose loose that runs the air from the drivers side over the top of the tranny into the sensor and second valve because it was too difficult to get to the hose clamp. I cut it right on top of the tranny near the hose clamp as possible. All thats left of the system is the second valve and sensors.

My advice to anyone planning to do this is to do it when you do a turbo swap or just leave it alone. Probably weighs a total of 5lbs.

I would have never attempted it had I understood the implications beforehand.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
superacerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

XTi Badges arrived!

I've got a Sports grille ordered so I can put my front emblem on it. It's the wrong color so I'll plastidip it black and throw it on.

Some extra pics of the rear emblem on the car. I wanted to put it in an area as flat as possible to get maximum adhesion. I hope it grows on me a bit being in the center of that panel. Every other spot was too curvy and I don't want to have it fall off.

Here's the new exhaust bolted up.

It actually sounds pretty good inside the car. I'll get some videos in the next day or so.
The CNT machining was perfect. I was almost afraid it wouldn't fit cause there was no wiggle room at all. But once lined up it was a perfect match.
I'll say that the bolts supplied to bolt up to the downpipe are probably made for the CNT downpipe holes cause I had to add washers to make them fit up right. Also, the donut gasket isn't needed for the midpipe connection like in the stock setup. I'm headed out to pickup a longer exhaust hanger for the back hanger spot to give it a bit more clearance between the bumper. It's lightly touching right now and some trimming would work but i'm just going to try a longer hanger. They only cost 3.99 at the Parts store anyway.

Last edited by superacerc; 01-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
fallehero_08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214110
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Only part i dont like so far is where that XTi badge sits, other then that this is making me want to get a new forester instead of the 07-ish ones i was looking at. Very nice so far.
fallehero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

It took a bit to grow on me in that area as well. I needed a good flat spot to put that badge and that seemed the best choice. Ill get my sports grille today in the mail and put the front one on.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
2010SubieFoz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2010 Forester
Camelia Red Pearl

Cool,

As you know I have been following this on subaruforester.org as well. Nice build.
2010SubieFoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #31
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

So I got in the sports grille. As advertised it was Topaz Gold. Yay....

I taped off the logo and started plastidipping. Then added the XTi logo.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Installed:

It's been raining like crazy and dark so I haven't had a chance to get any exhaust videos lately. In fact i've been driving my jeep the past two days due to localized flooding that occurs in houston.

Here's some exhaust pics.

You can see my Whiteline bar and kartboy links in there as well.

Sorry about how dirty it is but like I said it's been pouring rain.

Here's the resonator and midpipe.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #32
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222527
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

Did you have to remove the bumper to install the grille?
STIdarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Youcan remove it to make things easier but more time consuming. I didnt. I pulled out the plastic rivets on top and then used a short philips head to remove the six screws in back. You have to pry and bend a little and squeeze your hands into that area but it only takes about 15 minutes to do this way.

I also rotated my horn downwards so it wouldn't show, and put a fresh black coat of paint on things back there.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #34
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222527
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

Great! Thanks for the info
STIdarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Some pics of my new sti center caps, aem cai, and grille.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #36
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Some daylight photos:

Also want to say that this intake is mean sounding. Sounds like a jet spooling up, haha. It's wayyyyyyy lean under boost but fairly normal under vacuum so I've been driving around under vacuum. I'm about to add more air on the maf calibration. It needs a little more fuel from 2v-3v and a good bit more from 3v-5v. I'll make some changes and see what its like after work.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Heres a few quick videos for the impatient. The tune is only sufficient for driving and not perfect yet.

[youtube]gdBTnE1kVqo[/youtube]

[youtube]C6cLQA5ad5k[/youtube]

[youtube]xatmHQO60Rs[/youtube]

[youtube]-6QN9FGu5_s[/youtube]
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #38
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

0-60 and quarter mile times from the Cobb access port.

I'm finishing up my logging with the new intake now and decided to use the performance app on the cobb to gauge my time improvements. I know it's not perfectly accurate but i've been doing them at random throughout the whole process to get a reference point of what kind of improvements i've made so far. the last time I checked it I was on regular gas and didn't have an exhaust, header, intake, or use E85 and I managed4.4seconds to 60 and 13.2 in the quarter.

Tonight here's my result: 4.0seconds to 60 and 12.5 in the quarter.

I had tons of wheelspin and a crappy launch so I think if i let some air out of my front tires I can bring this beast down to a 3.8 or 3.9 to 60.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #39
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

II've been at work painting the interior of my headlights. Moog, you might think about doing this to yours. Looks much better than all that chrome and was nearly free since I already had a can of black header paint sitting in my garage

My foz has had what appears to be an immediate attitude adjustment! Looks much meaner.

A few things to think about when doing it:

You need to pull the 6 grill pushpins, and the one tiny pushpin that is on the edge of wheelwell holding on the front bumper. Grab the edge of the bumper in the wheelwell and give a tug to pull up the bumper snaps. This will let the bumper hang forward and let you get to the lights.

Then unplug the main light power plug. Then unscrew the three screws you see in the pictures. 1 is on top, one is by the edge of the grille, and the last is under where you pulled the bumper up from the wheel well. There is one pushpin on top of the light as well. Then just wiggle it out.

Then take all the stuff off the light back except the headlight adjustment bolts. Don't touch em. The stuff you take off includes the wiring, light bulbs(don't touch em with your fingers), the bottom bracket, and the 5 screws located around the light's edge. Then throw it in the oven for 12 minutes at 200-225 deg F. (Don't forget to preheat or it'll be all gooey in the middle, j/k.

Pull them apart slowly with a flat head screwdriver prying up on each tab. Don't get too forceful. Just keep working around the light and the glue will start pulling apart. Pull it apart and then take the two screws off the part still holding in the lens.

This is the only part you'll paint. I took out my orange marker lens as well. The bulb is orange and you don't need it. Then paint the whole thing black with some high heat black paint, or whatever you choose.

Let it dry, stick it back in the lens, then put the lens back together as good as possible and stick it in the oven again. Pull it out and maneuver everything into the right holes, put the screws back in, then the hardware.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #40
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Plasti-dipped fog light rings.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

On this first one it afterfires several times but the one at second 52 you can see. I've got another video but now that it uploaded to youtube I don't see the fire. It's hard to catch it right on the frame cause it happens so fast the framerate misses it.

[youtube]n29QiFcgiGU[/youtube]

I can see this one on the original upload but not now on this computer. Depends on how the framerate is compressed. put your settings on HD and you should see it.

[youtube]XZcCXBJs8Jg[/youtube]

Heres a video of me and MN Kidd playing around with the fozzes. He's going to do some editing and add several videos to it but if you just want an unedited ride along with us here you go. Most of the fun is towards the end.

[youtube]e-sTNo65TiI[/youtube]
Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #42
sector18STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285277
Vehicle:
2008 STI
White

MREs lol....
sector18STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Ahh, I was wondering what you meant by that. I just realized that you can see the box in the Picture. It's part of our emergency stuff for hurricanes and such. Even more important is the peanut oil for deep frying turkeys right next to it.. lol.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #44
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Time to go 20g for me. I'm going to be stuck with 91 octane instead of e85 when I move to Juneau in 2.5 months so I'm going to try and compensate a bit by sticking on a 20g. I'm going to go TD05 since I won't be able to take full advantage of the superior top end of the 06 running 91 octane at least I'll get decent throttle response.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #45
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Ordered a Td05-20g/8cm today. Should be here within the next week. Can't wait to run a little e85 with it before I have to move. Going to shoot for 400-410 to the wheels. Any more and I might lose a piston or two.

Hope to get 360hp or better to the wheels when im forced to run 91.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #46
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Been running the 20g for a bit now. Love it. Feels very different than the 18g and tons of top end power. It does lag a bit more than the 18 so there's a bit less mid range power so it calls for a different driving style to keep in the power band.

Last edited by superacerc; 05-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #47
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

Lost the bottom end this morning. Thanks to the suggestions of the members here i've got a new Stage 2 short block coming from AWDTUNING in Dallas. Going to pick it up Thursday and deliver it to my dealer. They say that if they get it at a decent time on Thursday it might be done Monday but definitely by wed next week. Not bad turn around for a new bottom end.

This one's rated for 500hp/500ftlbs. JE forged pistons, ACR race bearings, Manly H Beam Rods, and Heat treated/nitride coated crank.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

New block pics:

Wasnt as big as I imagined lol.

Some parking lot beautys.

Cylinder walls of a stock block vs cylinder walls of a stage 4 block.

If using amsoil, this is the preferred type:

Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
LOUROK
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 243245
Vehicle:
2010 SH FXT
VF52 301whp 294tq

Great thread! 10w40 ams high zinc is what I use also. Look forward to seeing what you do with after the block is install.
LOUROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #50
superacerc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 2.5XT/20G
Metallic Black

We're back in business! Seems to be running great so far.