Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #76
scx89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269388
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal SD / LA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
obp

Default

Does anyone else hear knocking?? Looks like engine oil is burning... Ringland?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
HiImZackJones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324552
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA and NC.
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Red

Default

Quote:
Does anyone else hear knocking?? Looks like engine oil is burnin... Ringland?
what would cause a motor to break just by sitting? It worked perfect before I pulled it out. I didn't change anything on the motor itself. :/ is there a chance that while I left it out for a couple of weeks that water got into the motor and that is vapor?

IF the gascap was left off for a bit, would there be a possibility that water got into the tank?
HiImZackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #78
scx89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269388
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal SD / LA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
obp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImZackJones

what would cause a motor to break just by sitting? It worked perfect before I pulled it out. I didn't change anything on the motor itself. :/ is there a chance that while I left it out for a couple of weeks that water got into the motor and that is vapor?

IF the gascap was left off for a bit, would there be a possibility that water got into the tank?
Maybe u moved the timing belt or pulley.. Either way, it is your engine from the look of that smoke and the sound. Maybe moved a gasket lol??? Im not sure but its not normal
scx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #79
Phillysubaru89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328527
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: phila
Vehicle:
2009 impreza wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImZackJones View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgUcfqBoebw here is a link to a video of what my subaru is doing.

Here is the story, I pulled to motor to change the clutch ( and get to the headers for lava wrap)

I fixed my stuff and put the motor back together. When I would try to crank it, it would turn over, get to about 2k rpms and then cut off.

I assumed there was a problem with the idle control valve and unplugged them, battery, and went through what I figured would reset the ecu's settings for the idle control valve.

Well I was right. But now... it cranks up and idles really nasty and has tremendous amounts of smoke. here is a video of the first crank after I reset the idle control stuff.

any ideas?

(I would have posted this in a new thread but I am too noob to be allowed to.)
That's deff a rod knock! My car sounded exactly the same when mine was knocking. I'd deff take that to the shop ASAP
Phillysubaru89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #80
35rGC8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344296
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

I've seen cars with a bad turbo do this and/or possibly it could be the oil you're using everyone I know uses conventinal gtx 10-40 cuz the turbos will eat up the synthetics and it could be getting in intake stream only synthitics I see ppl use is motul
35rGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #81
Heedlessone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254130
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Twinscroll Goodness

Default

There is so much misinformation in this thread.

Glad you got it sorted out. 5.4 quarts is definitely over filled.
Heedlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #82
scx89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269388
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal SD / LA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
obp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedlessone
There is so much misinformation in this thread.

Glad you got it sorted out. 5.4 quarts is definitely over filled.
We are responding to a thread jacker couple posts up.
scx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #83
HiImZackJones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324552
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA and NC.
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Red

Default

sorry about jacking a thread. im pretty fail at forums. but I figured out the
.
HiImZackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #84
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

its a good thing i found this post. i just recently went to cobb stg 2 with a catless downpipe with my 2013 wrx. Same thing occurred like it did in the video. on cold engine start up, a large amount of white smoke appeared. And also, this was right after I did my first oil change at the dealer. when i smelled the smoke, it didnt have that sweet smell like it does with coolant, but more of a burning smell. like burnt oil or fuel. i checked the dipstick and the oil level was well above the recommended dots. so does that mean the excess oil is being burned off? i didnt do the oil change. the dealer did. other than that, the car runs fine. ive done a bunch of wot pulls with no knock or boost creep etc. car runs like a champ. im just a bit worried about that initial cold engine startup. could it be on what you guys concluded it to? blow by is it? is it fine to just run it as it?

Last edited by Cho.co.pie; 02-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #85
Ride1226
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201483
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
WRBM

Default

I had the same symptoms. Puff of white smoke on startup. I had blow by so figured that was the issue. Ended up really being a cracked ring land.

If the OP overfilled maybe his issue was that and its fixed. Get your oil level corrected and see if it persists. If it does, do a compression and leak down test. My #4 was gone. Just like most others with this issue.
Ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #86
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride1226 View Post
I had the same symptoms. Puff of white smoke on startup. I had blow by so figured that was the issue. Ended up really being a cracked ring land.

If the OP overfilled maybe his issue was that and its fixed. Get your oil level corrected and see if it persists. If it does, do a compression and leak down test. My #4 was gone. Just like most others with this issue.
ehh. i hope its not ringland. this is a brand new '13 wrx. with only 2700 miles. what would be the symptoms of ringland failure? will i notice anything while im driving? because the car runs and feels fine. im sure its nothing big, but its never too late to worry about things like this.
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #87
BrendanTheGreat408
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271207
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho.co.pie View Post
ehh. i hope its not ringland. this is a brand new '13 wrx. with only 2700 miles. what would be the symptoms of ringland failure? will i notice anything while im driving? because the car runs and feels fine. im sure its nothing big, but its never too late to worry about things like this.
if its a ringland youd know trust me....

my solution was to drain the oil and fill the CORRECT amount of oil and after about 100 miles it completely stopped smoking so i suggest you do the same
BrendanTheGreat408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #88
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat408 View Post
if its a ringland youd know trust me....

my solution was to drain the oil and fill the CORRECT amount of oil and after about 100 miles it completely stopped smoking so i suggest you do the same
argg.. damn. well i guess its good that ive narrowed it down to improper oil level.. but damn. i would assume the subaru dealership would do my oil change properly... i guess ill have to do it myself next time. what is the correct amount for our 11-13 subaru's? what amount did you fill yours up to? 4 qts?
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #89
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho.co.pie View Post

argg.. damn. well i guess its good that ive narrowed it down to improper oil level.. but damn. i would assume the subaru dealership would do my oil change properly... i guess ill have to do it myself next time. what is the correct amount for our 11-13 subaru's? what amount did you fill yours up to? 4 qts?
I think the manual calls for 4.6 qts ... But lots of people just put 5 in.

I put in about 4.5, then check level and add till it hits the full hole.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #90
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPitbull View Post
I think the manual calls for 4.6 qts ... But lots of people just put 5 in.

I put in about 4.5, then check level and add till it hits the full hole.
ill do that asap. but will it be okay if i continue driving as is? i dont have access to a garage yet. im at school.
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #91
BrendanTheGreat408
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271207
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho.co.pie View Post
ill do that asap. but will it be okay if i continue driving as is? i dont have access to a garage yet. im at school.
I wouldnt drive it to be honest....learn from my mistake.

The correct amount is 4.4 quarts but just recheck its on the full line and add oil as needed.
BrendanTheGreat408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #92
J-hop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318428
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho.co.pie View Post
ill do that asap. but will it be okay if i continue driving as is? i dont have access to a garage yet. im at school.
why not bring it back to the dealer? then they know one of their techs effed up, they'll have it on your file for the vehicle and then if anything related to that happens (i don't know, maybe if seals were to leak or something after) then you aren't on the hook for it?
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #93
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
why not bring it back to the dealer? then they know one of their techs effed up, they'll have it on your file for the vehicle and then if anything related to that happens (i don't know, maybe if seals were to leak or something after) then you aren't on the hook for it?
i would do that but i dont want to go through changing the downpipe to stock again. and i did the scheduled maintenance from them before i went to stage 2. so if they were to see the downpipe, they can most likely assume that to be probable cause for the white smoke, and there goes my warranty. theres only so much i know about cars, and with something this in depth, i might just take it to a reputable tuner like, cobb socal, and see whats up. theyll probably know whats really happening. i dont really trust the subaru dealerships when it comes to stuff like this. i drove the car today, and again it feels fine. im sure its nothing big, but im just taking these precautions now so i wont have any head aches down the road.
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #94
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Ringlands will not give you smoke from the tail pipe.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #95
BrendanTheGreat408
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271207
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho.co.pie View Post
i would do that but i dont want to go through changing the downpipe to stock again. and i did the scheduled maintenance from them before i went to stage 2. so if they were to see the downpipe, they can most likely assume that to be probable cause for the white smoke, and there goes my warranty. theres only so much i know about cars, and with something this in depth, i might just take it to a reputable tuner like, cobb socal, and see whats up. theyll probably know whats really happening. i dont really trust the subaru dealerships when it comes to stuff like this. i drove the car today, and again it feels fine. im sure its nothing big, but im just taking these precautions now so i wont have any head aches down the road.
Do yourself a favor and drain some oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
Ringlands will not give you smoke from the tail pipe.
Also listen to anything this guy says he know what hes talking about.
BrendanTheGreat408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #96
Ride1226
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201483
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
WRBM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
Ringlands will not give you smoke from the tail pipe.
Educate me. I had smoke on cold starts from oil going past the rings into the combustion chamber, then when I'd start it would all burn off and fill whatever area I was parked in with white smoke. Car drove pretty normal to me, and when it finally got really bad i had tests done and number 4 was gone. Where else would that white smoke come from? I know I gave a new motor now and the issue is gone. I also had my vf52 bearing fail as well so maybe oil was coming through there as well? All I know is it wasn't a easy fix either way. I worry when huge puffs of white smoke come out of any of my vehicles.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just want to learn more about what happened to my car.
Ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #97
Cho.co.pie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333548
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

ok so i checked my oil level and its at the proper level. but this is what ive noticed. when driving my car casually, rarely into boost, below 4000rpm. the white smoke never appears on start up. but today i did a bunch of wide open throttle pulls (i used about a qtr of a tank worth of pulls) and ive been driving the car aggressively. and when i started the car a couple hours later, a HUGE amount of white smoke appeared. so can anyone explain to me why its doing this? and again.. the car drives perfectly fine. only when im in boost and i occasionally after-fire between shifts, will i encounter white smoke on the next start up. is it probably due to the fact that the ots tune is running too rich for my catless downpipe?
Cho.co.pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #98
CanadianImprezaSTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312159
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35rGC8 View Post
I've seen cars with a bad turbo do this and/or possibly it could be the oil you're using everyone I know uses conventinal gtx 10-40 cuz the turbos will eat up the synthetics and it could be getting in intake stream only synthitics I see ppl use is motul
This guy cray.

Joel
CanadianImprezaSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #99
vendietta
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324534
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

My Subaru 2010 sti special, started doing white smoke today, I live in Ohio, its cold now, I read through this feed, my smoke has a very distinct smell, weird smell, coolant level hasnt changed, still right at full, but i do notice a weird sound coming from engine when i reach about 4grand, "chinging" sound is best way to describe it, I have a buddy coming to look at it tomorrow, and also taking it in to a local subaru dealer, Just wanted to see if you guys think i am "F'D"... turbo still sounds like its working. my car isnt due for an oil change for another 1500, so i dont think my subaru has too much oil in it tho, i remember them saying they put lil over 5 quarts in it, but doesnt make sense that it would just be happening now. Im freaking out pretty bad, car only has 33000 on it. Cobb stage 2. Any ideas, comments (rude or not) will be appreciated. thanks.
vendietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #100
BrendanTheGreat408
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271207
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendietta View Post
My Subaru 2010 sti special, started doing white smoke today, I live in Ohio, its cold now, I read through this feed, my smoke has a very distinct smell, weird smell, coolant level hasnt changed, still right at full, but i do notice a weird sound coming from engine when i reach about 4grand, "chinging" sound is best way to describe it, I have a buddy coming to look at it tomorrow, and also taking it in to a local subaru dealer, Just wanted to see if you guys think i am "F'D"... turbo still sounds like its working. my car isnt due for an oil change for another 1500, so i dont think my subaru has too much oil in it tho, i remember them saying they put lil over 5 quarts in it, but doesnt make sense that it would just be happening now. Im freaking out pretty bad, car only has 33000 on it. Cobb stage 2. Any ideas, comments (rude or not) will be appreciated. thanks.
I'm not an expert but if you hear a chinging it could very possible be a blown ringland.
BrendanTheGreat408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.