Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #76
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunk10 View Post
40 years from now Acura will resurrect the Legend and Integra, while Toyota will have a Supra, and Honda will bring back the Prelude. And we'll all be the old suckers waiting in line to overpay for them
I doubt Acura will be around in 40 years.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #77
blubaru703
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71380
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyCoupe View Post
Smaller lighter platform but still having a V8
Sounds like a good idea whatever name they feel like putting on the fender.
They need to do something. My 7 year old GTO walks over RT's all the time
blubaru703 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #78
Dex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163775
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ceti Debent
Vehicle:
2014 Youabian Puma
**** sample brown

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeflyistheeye View Post
I doubt Acura will be around in 40 years.

At the rate they are committing suicide, I'd say sooner .
Dex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #79
SWP n Gold
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 110783
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Stamford, CT
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru703 View Post
They need to do something. My 7 year old GTO walks over RT's all the time
Yeah your GTO (which isn't light to begin with) is about 350lbs lighter than the Challenger R/T and has an additional 25bhp assuming both cars are stock. It's depressing how slow the R/T is because it's a gorgeous looking and sounding car.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #80
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
Yeah your GTO (which isn't light to begin with) is about 350lbs lighter than the Challenger R/T and has an additional 25bhp assuming both cars are stock. It's depressing how slow the R/T is because it's a gorgeous looking and sounding car.
I had one trying to keep up with me on the highway one day. It wasn't even close. I left him at will and he was definitely trying. A 40 hp and 400 lb defecit isn't easy to overcome.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #81
blubaru703
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71380
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP n Gold View Post
Yeah your GTO (which isn't light to begin with) is about 350lbs lighter than the Challenger R/T and has an additional 25bhp assuming both cars are stock. It's depressing how slow the R/T is because it's a gorgeous looking and sounding car.
I test drove an R/T. At wot, the thing still couldn't get out of its own way. I was actually wondering if there was something wrong with it

A week later, I went and bought the goat for $15k less. Probably one of the better choices that I've made. I really don't know why people still buy challengers.
blubaru703 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #82
Sid03SVT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru703 View Post
I test drove an R/T. At wot, the thing still couldn't get out of its own way. I was actually wondering if there was something wrong with it

A week later, I went and bought the goat for $15k less. Probably one of the better choices that I've made. I really don't know why people still buy challengers.
The only reasons I can come up with for buying a challenger are as follows:
1.) Mopar guys are Mopar guys
2.) More interior room than the competition
3.) More comfortable ride
4.) cause HEMI thats why!!
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #83
sential
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105288
Join Date: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru703 View Post
I really don't know why people still buy challengers.
Here's a good reason to buy a Challenger.. They dropped the price by 7 grand!

$38,995 for an SRT8...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/08/s...chicago-2013/#

Quote:
New 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 "Core" Model
On the exterior, the new 2013 Challenger SRT8 "Core" model features a black grille and black SRT rear spoiler, unique black 392 decal on the front fenders, 20-inch cast-aluminum wheels with black painted pockets and black Brembo brake calipers.

New exterior colors for the Challenger SRT8 "Core" lineup include HEMI® Orange Pearl Coat and Plum Crazy Pearl Coat, in addition to the existing color options, which include Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Bright White Clear Coat, Granite Crystal Metallic Pearl Coat, Jazz Blue Pearl Coat, Pitch Black and TorRed Clear Coat.

Phantom Black Tri-coat Pearl and Redline Tri-coat Pearl are exclusive to the 2013 Challenger SRT8 392 models.

On the inside of the new "Core" model, seating surfaces use the same premium "Ballistic" cloth inserts from the SRT Viper and are flanked by dark slate gray "Axel" cloth bolsters and door bolster inserts and feature a mini-carbon bezel instrument panel.

All 2013 Challenger SRT8 models are powered by the proven 392-cubic inch (6.4-liter) HEMI V-8 that delivers 470 horsepower (351 kW) and 470 lb.-ft. (637 N•m) of torque. The torque band is extremely flat allowing for strong standing starts and improved straight-line performance throughout the rpm range.

An advanced active intake manifold along with high-lift cam with phasing provides maximum low-end torque and high-end power while still delivering 23 miles per gallon on the highway with the standard manual transmission or available automatic transmission. Performance-tuned engine mounts improve idle stability and ride control at all speeds.

All 2013 Challenger SRT8 models accelerate from 0-60 mph in the high 4-second range; run the quarter mile in mid-12-second range with the automatic transmission (high 12-second range with the manual); go from 0-100-0 mph in the low 15s, reach a top speed of 182 mph with the manual transmission (175 mph with the automatic) and stop from 60-0 mph in just 117 feet.

The starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the new 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 "Core" model is $38,995 (plus $995 destination).
sential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #84
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post
Here's a good reason to buy a Challenger.. They dropped the price by 7 grand!

$38,995 for an SRT8...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/08/s...chicago-2013/#
Only because they decontented it, it appears.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #85
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

I know a girl at work that had a challenger. The timing chain broke so she sold it after warranty covered the new engine. What did she replace it with? A 5.7L Ram. SMH
quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #86
mhoward1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
2011 Carrera 4s
2009 BMW M5

Default

How the heck did she brake a timing chain? Usually the crank, cam, or other valve train parts will break first.
mhoward1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #87
cdv478
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 123536
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2008 STI
LR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
How the heck did she brake a timing chain? Usually the crank, cam, or other valve train parts will break first.
The automatic transmission cars with cylinder deactivation sometimes break timing chains. I read on a Challenger forum that it usually starts around 50,000 miles. There were multiple people on the forum this had happened to.

The manual transmission 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 don't seem to break chains, but manuals do not use cylinder deactivation.
cdv478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #88
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdv478 View Post
The automatic transmission cars with cylinder deactivation sometimes break timing chains. I read on a Challenger forum that it usually starts around 50,000 miles. There were multiple people on the forum this had happened to.

The manual transmission 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 don't seem to break chains, but manuals do not use cylinder deactivation.
She was around 50k miles.
quentinberg007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #89
sential
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105288
Join Date: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
Only because they decontented it, it appears.
No leather, no fog lights or HID's...

Big deal.
sential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #90
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post
No leather, no fog lights or HID's...

Big deal.
Still 400 lbs overweight and still slow relative to how much power it makes.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #91
sential
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105288
Join Date: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
Still 400 lbs overweight and still slow relative to how much power it makes.
I do wish it was lighter, but It's got a back seat you can actually sit in, runs 12's stock and a 4 second 0-60... That's fast enough and functional enough for me... You only drive 11 second cars?
sential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #92
mhoward1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
2011 Carrera 4s
2009 BMW M5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post
I do wish it was lighter, but It's got a back seat you can actually sit in, runs 12's stock and a 4 second 0-60... That's fast enough and functional enough for me... You only drive 11 second cars?
The backseat is surprisingly roomy.
mhoward1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #93
subieguy87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153412
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield,il
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza wrxRS
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post

Well the Neon was a Dodge and a Plymouth... I suppose the Barracuda could do the same...
Plymouth lazer
Eagle talon
Mitsubishi eclipse

Lazer > neon>srt4 >pt cruiser

What's Shakespeare say about a name again?
subieguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #94
gravitylover
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334328
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mahopac NY
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
Khaki

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru703 View Post
I test drove an R/T. At wot, the thing still couldn't get out of its own way. I was actually wondering if there was something wrong with it

I really don't know why people still buy challengers.
Is it really always about speed? When I got my Challenger I was seriously considerng a GTO but the teeny tiny trunk and lack of more modern safety equipment took it out of the running. There was also no good way for me to move mt bikes or skis with it and that just sealed the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
The only reasons I can come up with for buying a challenger are as follows:
1.) Mopar guys are Mopar guys
2.) More interior room than the competition
3.) More comfortable ride
4.) cause HEMI thats why!!
Eh, the Mopar thing was meaningless really. The ride quality was so far superior to anything else in the category, that was the kicker. Yup, full size people actually can get in and out of a nice sized back seat. The comfy ride is what sold me!

BTW, that safety stuff I mentioned saved me and my family from a world of hurt when a woman ran a stop sign at 50mph and took us out. 3800+ pounds for the win!
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #95
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post
I do wish it was lighter, but It's got a back seat you can actually sit in, runs 12's stock and a 4 second 0-60... That's fast enough and functional enough for me... You only drive 11 second cars?
For making nearly 500 hp, it's really rather slow, relatively speaking. That's obviously a function of its weight. I want the best performing car for the money and that's always been the SRT-8's problem - it offers GT/SS performance for significantly more money. Obviously this is a step in the right direction, but it still bases at ~$7k more than its rivals. And from what I read on Challenger talk, it's nearly impossible to get a 392 at below sticker, so in reality once you take negotiations into account, the price difference is even greater.

Quote:
No leather, no fog lights or HID's...

Big deal.
There's a bit more to it than that. Much cheaper wheels(and subjectively, uglier) and apparently the Core gets a watered down suspension similar to what's on the RT, and not the oontzy dual mode suspension that comes on the regular 392s. Decontented, indeed.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #96
sential
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105288
Join Date: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
For making nearly 500 hp, it's really rather slow, relatively speaking. That's obviously a function of its weight. I want the best performing car for the money and that's always been the SRT-8's problem - it offers GT/SS performance for significantly more money. Obviously this is a step in the right direction, but it still bases at ~$7k more than its rivals. And from what I read on Challenger talk, it's nearly impossible to get a 392 at below sticker, so in reality once you take negotiations into account, the price difference is even greater.
When you consider that it only has 50 hp more than the Mustang, it's doing pretty well with the times it's running. Put it on a proper track, and I'm sure the Mustang will really outshine it, however, as much as I'd like to track one of these cars, it's really unlikely I'd spend much time at a track with a daily driver. There's been plenty of guys getting 392's 2-3k below sticker... Probably wont get quite that much off a Core, but no one should ever pay sticker. Even At 38K, it's pretty damn competitive... Core comes with Brembos and sport suspension, put those on the Mustang and you're 1-2k apart, which can be made up for with bargaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
There's a bit more to it than that. Much cheaper wheels(and subjectively, uglier) and apparently the Core gets a watered down suspension similar to what's on the RT, and not the oontzy dual mode suspension that comes on the regular 392s. Decontented, indeed.
It's the same suspension that was on the 2011 392's. Stiff all the time. The new dual mode suspension can be soft when cruising, then allows the user to push a button for "sport mode", also affecting tuning and mapping etc. Adds quite a bit of complication to the car, and is really more noticeable on the automatics, which I would never own if I were to buy a Challenger...
sential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #97
im2lazy789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 166857
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Watkins Glen, NY
Vehicle:
2009 Ford Mustang GT

Default

I am actually considering trading my '09 Mustang GT in for a Challenger SRT-8. I know the new Mustangs and Camaros exceed the Challenger by far in performance per dollar, but I really like the Challenger's ride and extra space. For me, these cars are about being the best road trip/American GT car and I think the Challenger does this the best.

Also on my mind is a new GT500, but it's an extra 20G and you never get to feel like you're pushing the car while doing anything close to legal speeds. I've spent sometime behind my dad's and it really is a wonderful GT with a whole lot of punch anywhere in the rev range, but you can never wind the car out in any gear other than first without being in the lose your license range.
im2lazy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #98
ColeBerkenbile
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316278
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Muskogee, Ok
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default

My friend had a challenger 392 auto for awhile. It was a pretty nice car, solid interior, good ride quality. It was fast, but it still felt like you were trying to get a train rolling. It doesn't have that "zip" quality to it like something smaller would
ColeBerkenbile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #99
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sential View Post
When you consider that it only has 50 hp more than the Mustang, it's doing pretty well with the times it's running.
Well, it is the classic muscle car formula. Throw a giant engine in a fat assed car and hope for the best.

Quote:
Put it on a proper track, and I'm sure the Mustang will really outshine it, however, as much as I'd like to track one of these cars, it's really unlikely I'd spend much time at a track with a daily driver.
That's fair.

Quote:
There's been plenty of guys getting 392's 2-3k below sticker... Probably wont get quite that much off a Core, but no one should ever pay sticker.
That's not what I read over at the Challenger forums, but I don't have any personal experience to refute that. I do feel sorry for existing 392 owners and perhaps even 6.1 SRT-8 owners - their resale value just took a nose dive now that you can get a 392 for $38k. You can buy a used 392 for $38k or you can buy a new Core for the same, which do you choose? Choice seems pretty easy to me.

Quote:
Even At 38K, it's pretty damn competitive... Core comes with Brembos and sport suspension, put those on the Mustang and you're 1-2k apart, which can be made up for with bargaining...
Ehh, not really. A base GT with Brembos is $33kish sticker? Which means you can probably get it for $30kish after negotiations. They're not that close. The base is a closer comparison with the Core than the premium is, a premium GT has more amenties than the Core does and would be a closer comparison for the regular 392.

Quote:
Also on my mind is a new GT500, but it's an extra 20G and you never get to feel like you're pushing the car while doing anything close to legal speeds. I've spent sometime behind my dad's and it really is a wonderful GT with a whole lot of punch anywhere in the rev range, but you can never wind the car out in any gear other than first without being in the lose your license range.
To be fair, that's true of any of these cars.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #100
sential
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105288
Join Date: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
Well, it is the classic muscle car formula. Throw a giant engine in a fat assed car and hope for the best.
Funny you say that, wasn't too long ago when I thought the mustang was a fat ass car... But now the numbers make up for it.

It's definitely not easy deciding between these two...
sential is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dodge Challenger R/T Widebody Convertible by West Coast Customs AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 37 04-09-2009 12:07 PM
2008 Essen Motor Show: Dodge Challenger SRT8 by Eibach AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 13 12-01-2008 03:54 PM
Dodge Challenger ‘Barracuda’ Concept turns up at SEMA AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 22 10-31-2007 08:17 AM
Dodge Challenger Concept TheNookie Off-Topic 5 11-22-2005 11:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.