Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
97OBLimited
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224432
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1997 Outback Limited
2012 DGM Impreza Hatch

Default 2012 Impreza Hatch Sound Deadening

So a few days ago at work i found a few rolls of ensolite in the trash. probably about 100 sq ft of 1/8 in thick gray CCF. This got me to thinking i could use it to deaden my car. The road noise is horrendous and i have nothing better to do on the weekends.
I started looking around at work for more scrap material and found a good amount of ADC (acoustic dampening compund) that we use to sound proof aircraft cabins. I also found a sheet of 1/4 thick CCF with some thick aluminum backing. I figured that was enough for the doors but not much else so i went to home depot and purchased a roll of 12 in wide butyl tape. (before people say anything negative about this: this is BUTYL tape not asphalt based, is relatively thick, a roll weighs about 15 lbs and more importantly it is dirt cheap). I also purchased some spray adhesive and caulk rope to run in the doors.

Here are the materials:

After removing the door cards I found a little more deadener than I thought I would.

I added some of the rope caulk between the door beams and the skin:

After that I applied the ADC to the door skin. This stuff is incredibly heavy and has a .020 thick aluminum backing.

After the ADC I added the foam backed aluminum on top. I only had about 4 sq ft of this so i used it as strategically as possible.

In order to reduce sound transmission in the door itself i added a layer of ensolite on top of everything using the spray adhesive.

Last edited by 97OBLimited; 02-17-2013 at 01:57 PM.
97OBLimited is offline   Reply With Quote