Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
Sergeant Dudz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344060
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza
Primer Grey, like a boss

Question RWD in a 95 Impreza

Im building my car, and have a few ideas, I was hoping maybe you guys could help.

My goal 2.2 NA 5 Speed RWD

I wanna swap out the tranny it has now, for a 5 or 6 speed transmission. I was wondering if I could "remove" the front half shafts and just send power to the rear wheels, or, would I have to open the transmission up and block/remove componets?

Also the stock awd Diff should be able to take the output of the NA 2.2 correct?

Little steps at a time. This is going to be done in my driveway lol

Thanks for the help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sergeant Dudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
WoodsWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180769
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
lots of junkers

The NA EJ22 makes enough power to break the R160 rear diff. I did in a few with mine. Little bit of wheel hop and BANG it's over.

You will need to take the rear transfer housing off the transmission, which can be done with it in the car. You can either weld up the spider gears in the center diff, or you can buy a spool to replace it. That still leaves all the power going through the rear transfer gears in the back of the transmission which aren't that strong. Again, I shredded a couple sets of those too.

If you plan on driving like a pansie, then the car will hold up fine RWD. If you beat on it like you're going to when you're having fun, it will break easily.

If you want to do RWD right, there is a conversion bellhousing sold to bolt a W or R series Toyota transmission to a subaru motor. That fixes the weak transmission side. Then put a R180 out of a STi or a R200 out of a nissan in at the rear and have custom axles made.
WoodsWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Sergeant Dudz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza
Primer Grey, like a boss

Sweet! That sounds pretty do-able. Do you know where I can source the above items from? Some of them sound like junk yard finds, but the plate sounds like a pita. What year/make?/model came with the 2 transmission you mentioned?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Sergeant Dudz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza
Primer Grey, like a boss

NM I think I got the goods. But a link to the plate would be kick ass

I'm thinking the R150 or, R154... the second one sounds a Tad overkill though. The R150 sounds cheaper and easier to come by, but it says there's 2 different lengths. I'm assuming this is where the custom drive shafts come into play?

Last edited by Sergeant Dudz; 02-13-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
WoodsWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180769
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
lots of junkers

r160, 180 and 200 are the rear differentials that subaru and nissan use.

http://www.billsautofab.com/about.asp
is the guy who makes the bellhousing.
WoodsWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Sergeant Dudz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza
Primer Grey, like a boss

Thanks woods! I'm probably going to start this conversion within the month. Do you know if ill have to Fab up any rear transmission mounts? Or should the r30-34 match up?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Kyguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38705
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'95 GM2 Rally Car
& '08 WRX

Did you swap in the 2.2 after the fact? '95's did not come with 2.2 manual trannys.
Kyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Sergeant Dudz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza
Primer Grey, like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyguy View Post
Did you swap in the 2.2 after the fact? '95's did not come with 2.2 manual trannys.
No my car is a 1.8 Auto right now, but Im sourcing a 2.2 wrx engine. The transmission, and all the other goodies are coming off of junk yard cars, or ebay. Im struggling with the engine right now. Thats the only hold up so far.