Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #376
oharao2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229802
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg FL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert540 View Post
Any pics or install tips on how to use stock bracket?

First i compared where the brackets sat on the factory HU. I wanted to make sure it sat flush or close to flush on the Bezel like the OEM HU. I forget which holes on the Pioneer 4400 i ended up using but when attaching the brackets the top guides sit flush on the top of the Pioneer 4400 as they had on the OEM. And after moving the brackets around a few times they ended up just about spot on to where they had resided on the OEM HU. I think if you use any other bolt location on the Pioneer 4400 the HU will end up hitting the Scosche Frame or the JDM/TomTom Bezel.
After the allignment I just unscrew the bolted on harness from the factory HU. And attached it to the 4400 using the longer screws that come in the box with the Pioneer 4400. There are two sets of bolts in the 4400's box and I used the ones that looked just like the factory ones (but longer). (the factory bolts dont work. I tried) After that it just bolts in using the screws that had held the OEM HU in place.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
oharao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #377
outnspace
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340609
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Pioneer AVH-P4400BH with Factory SubWoofer Upgrade

I just got this HU (Pioneer AVH-P4400BH) and am really looking forward to putting it in using all the great info you guys have posted here.

The 2012 Impreza I have came with all speaker upgrades, including the Tweeters, Door Speakers, and Subwoofer. It uses the Factory CM621UB Head Unit.

The speakers seem fairly decent and I'd like to be able to keep all of them for the new Pioneer HU.

Has anyone had any success or pointers in how to hook up the SubWoofer to the Pioneer? It seems to be a non-amped woofer. The Pioneer instructions say that if you use a 2 Ohm (70W) sub, that you should not hook up the rear speakers and instead use only two wires from those to hook up the Sub. But this doesn't seem right because the factory Head Unit drives both the rear speakers and the Sub.

Is there a way to hook up the Sub from my Pioneer so that I can keep all four door speakers and the sub? I would like to do this without installing an Amp.

Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated!
outnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #378
oharao2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229802
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg FL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnspace View Post
I just got this HU (Pioneer AVH-P4400BH) and am really looking forward to putting it in using all the great info you guys have posted here.

The 2012 Impreza I have came with all speaker upgrades, including the Tweeters, Door Speakers, and Subwoofer. It uses the Factory CM621UB Head Unit.

The speakers seem fairly decent and I'd like to be able to keep all of them for the new Pioneer HU.

Has anyone had any success or pointers in how to hook up the SubWoofer to the Pioneer? It seems to be a non-amped woofer. The Pioneer instructions say that if you use a 2 Ohm (70W) sub, that you should not hook up the rear speakers and instead use only two wires from those to hook up the Sub. But this doesn't seem right because the factory Head Unit drives both the rear speakers and the Sub.

Is there a way to hook up the Sub from my Pioneer so that I can keep all four door speakers and the sub? I would like to do this without installing an Amp.

Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated!
There are sub rca's on the back of the hu. They have a SW etched next to it. There are three sets of rca outputs on the left hand side and the sub outputs are the bottom set.
oharao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #379
outnspace
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340609
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Do you know if the factory SubWoofer has RCA plugs that go into this output? I'm looking at the install document for that

(link here: http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/663...H630SFJ000.pdf)

But I don't see anything connecting to the SubWoofer. Do I need to make an RCA adapter coming from the sub that plugs into those HU plugs?

thanks!

Last edited by outnspace; 01-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.
outnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #380
oharao2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229802
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg FL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnspace View Post
Do you know if the factory SubWoofer has RCA plugs that go into this output? I'm looking at the install document for that

(link here: http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/663...H630SFJ000.pdf)

But I don't see anything connecting to the SubWoofer. Do I need to make an RCA adapter coming from the sub that plugs into those HU plugs?

thanks!
Aw shoot. Yeah i think you have to get a special harness for the factory hook up. I should have read your post more carefully. Sorry I think if you pm SVXdc (nasioc name) David Carter (real name) or email him (its on the site i pasted below) he can help you out.

Here is his website http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

Hes a tad slow to reply but hes there and he gets you out your stuff promptly. Not that i thought was slow but some people have wondered if he still is out there.
oharao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #381
outnspace
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340609
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Just heard back from him. For anyone else with this question, the answer is to use his 16-pin adapter, which plugs into factory on one side and has RCA jacks on the other for plugging into the HU RCA jacks. He can also add wires in that adapter for the parking brake and reverse signals, so it makes it very easy to hook up to your new HU.

That adapter along with the 20-pin adapter make it an easy hookup. Of course you'll have to follow the directions, but it is not too difficult.

I bought all the cables I needed from him and I highly recommend him to anyone else taking this on. He's been extremely helpful all along the way.

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm
outnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #382
nightdown fox
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 309636
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE
WRB on Gold!

Default

^this, just bought stuff from him today for this unit. Highly recommend him!
nightdown fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #383
RockyMtnGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 127953
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert540 View Post
Any pics or install tips on how to use stock bracket?
Here's a shot of my Radio with the stock bracket on it. And one of it installed with the 'jdm' trim. While it was working at least...



RockyMtnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #384
oharao2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229802
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg FL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnGT View Post

Here's a shot of my Radio with the stock bracket on it. And one of it installed with the 'jdm' trim. While it was working at least...
Im pretty sure those are the same mount pts on the 4400 i used for my install.
oharao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #385
SVXdc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25837
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
1996 SVX L AWD
Laguna Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnspace View Post
Do you know if the factory SubWoofer has RCA plugs that go into this output? I'm looking at the install document for that

(link here: [Subaru P/N H630SFJ000 -- Impreza 5-Door 10" Powered Subwoofer, made by Kicker])

But I don't see anything connecting to the SubWoofer. Do I need to make an RCA adapter coming from the sub that plugs into those HU plugs?

thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnspace View Post
Just heard back from him. For anyone else with this question, the answer is to use his 16-pin adapter, which plugs into factory on one side and has RCA jacks on the other for plugging into the HU RCA jacks. He can also add wires in that adapter for the parking brake and reverse signals, so it makes it very easy to hook up to your new HU.

That adapter along with the 20-pin adapter make it an easy hookup. Of course you'll have to follow the directions, but it is not too difficult.

I bought all the cables I needed from him and I highly recommend him to anyone else taking this on. He's been extremely helpful all along the way.

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm
outnspace's Subwoofer is the new one made by Kicker for Subaru. It has a built-in amp, and a T-harness that taps the front speaker channels from the HU. Connection-wise, it's very similar to Subaru's older under-seat subs. To use it with an aftermarket HU, your only option is to connect it the same way -- inserted between the car's factory radio harness and the power/speaker harness that connects to your HU. See more information in this post (includes a link to a long thread on IWSTI that has more info and pictures about the Kicker sub).

My 16-pin harness is to retain use of your car's factory 3.5mm stereo aux jack with an aftermarket HU. The parking brake and reverse gear signals are only present on the factory aux harness in 2012-up Imprezas (not WRX or STI yet), Crosstreks, and certain 2011-up Foresters.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #386
RockyMtnGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 127953
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnGT View Post
Whelp my AVH-P4400 just flat died on me driving home tonight. The buttons on the front still light up, but the screen will not come on and the unit itself beeps faintly twice every few seconds like some kind of error code??

I pulled it completely out and checked all the wires, which I soldered and shrink wrapped myself. Checked the fuses as well but no dice- it won't do anything other than light up and beep at me. I am completely at a loss?

I can't find a reference for these units 'beeping' anywhere, not even in the manual. Unit has been flawless until today...Anyone have any ideas on what else it might be?

I just had to replace our main TV in the house for a couple thousand bucks so this is not good timing at all!

TIA!
Just an update to this- It's officially dead. I had it bench tested at CarToys...So I popped the stocker back in for now. Man it sounds like hell. I tweaked the factory underseat sub's gain UP a bit which helped somewhat...

I'm going to submit a warranty claim and then sell it cheap so keep an eye out if your interested - haha.

I'm going to wait for the AVIC-x950bt to be available and pop that in. To be honest I missed the Navi I had in my AVIC-x930 and the screen res on the 4400 was lacking.

Finally the iOS6 functionality issues with the 4400 were killing me.

Hopefully SVXDC will have a harness for me when I get it (I am guessing the 4400 harness he sent me won't work on the 950)

RockyMtnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #387
turkey928
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305127
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Monica
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnGT View Post
Just an update to this- It's officially dead. I had it bench tested at CarToys...So I popped the stocker back in for now. Man it sounds like hell. I tweaked the factory underseat sub's gain UP a bit which helped somewhat...

I'm going to submit a warranty claim and then sell it cheap so keep an eye out if your interested - haha.

I'm going to wait for the AVIC-x950bt to be available and pop that in. To be honest I missed the Navi I had in my AVIC-x930 and the screen res on the 4400 was lacking.

Finally the iOS6 functionality issues with the 4400 were killing me.

Hopefully SVXDC will have a harness for me when I get it (I am guessing the 4400 harness he sent me won't work on the 950)

Sorry to hear about this but glad you're not too upset! I'm just waiting on remaining parts before I can install my 4400 (hopefully with no problems). I already have the harness and ASWC from SVXdc and am just waiting for the bypass and JDM bezel.

Anyhow, not sure which stock HU you have but if you haven't seen it already, check out this thread regarding some tweaks that can be made. Might help a bit while you have it in: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2317060
turkey928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #388
yudangorgor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151107
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

do I reuse the stock mounting bracket with the new HU? i have a jdm bezel
yudangorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #389
RockyMtnGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 127953
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post
do I reuse the stock mounting bracket with the new HU? i have a jdm bezel
Yes that's what I did.

avh 5500bhs and Focal speaks are going in this weekend
RockyMtnGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #390
yudangorgor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151107
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

ok one more question guys.. in preparation for my first audio install



do i simply just slide the wires into these tiny holes or what do i do to secure them in place?
yudangorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #391
freddyo_0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339277
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post
ok one more question guys.. in preparation for my first audio install

do i simply just slide the wires into these tiny holes or what do i do to secure them in place?
You would be connecting the 20 pin harness (your radio) to that harness (car) connector.
freddyo_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #392
SVXdc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25837
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
1996 SVX L AWD
Laguna Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post


do i simply just slide the wires into these tiny holes or what do i do to secure them in place?
No. You need to buy an aftermarket harness. Then solder or crimp that to the harness that comes with your new head unit. See this post (post #18 from this same thread).
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #393
ea126405
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317032
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corn Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post
ok one more question guys.. in preparation for my first audio install

do i simply just slide the wires into these tiny holes or what do i do to secure them in place?
Please take this post constructively, as I don't mean it as a bash. It might be a good idea for you to have some on-site help during the installation. I mention this based upon the questions you are asking. Although, this is not a super complicated upgrade, you want to be successful and not cause unwanted problems with your wiring/electronics.
ea126405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #394
doubleurx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64024
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: truckee, ca
Vehicle:
03 996 TT, 964 C4
salt and pepper

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnGT View Post
Yes that's what I did.

avh 5500bhs and Focal speaks are going in this weekend
I just had the 5500bhs, alpine V70 amp, Alpine Type R's and a Jlw3v3 in an AI enclosure installed. Amazing sound, still figuring out the head unit, but so far I am very pleased. Installer was great, they pulled all new wire to the speakers and maintained the stock location for the cable, usb and dig audio. They also got all my steering wheel functions working perfectly.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #395
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
Please take this post constructively, as I don't mean it as a bash. It might be a good idea for you to have some on-site help during the installation. I mention this based upon the questions you are asking. Although, this is not a super complicated upgrade, you want to be successful and not cause unwanted problems with your wiring/electronics.
I'm 40 and have been doing this stuff since I was 13.. I agree with you. He should support his local stereo shop and give them some business.
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #396
doubleurx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64024
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: truckee, ca
Vehicle:
03 996 TT, 964 C4
salt and pepper

Default

That's what I did. Dropped the car off at our local little shop and they did an awesome install with no issues at all. Well worth the money as far as I am concerned.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #397
yudangorgor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151107
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
I'm 40 and have been doing this stuff since I was 13.. I agree with you. He should support his local stereo shop and give them some business.
there's something about DIY's that give you a sense of satisfaction after it's done and complete.
yudangorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #398
freddyo_0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339277
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post

there's something about DIY's that give you a sense of satisfaction after it's done and complete.
As long as your confident and practice before hand. Just do it right and research, extensively.
freddyo_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #399
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post
there's something about DIY's that give you a sense of satisfaction after it's done and complete.
Believe me I know, but your question leads me to believe you shouldn't be installing your head unit into your car, and should let a pro do it.. but hey, it is your car. Just read a lot before hand, I guess..
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #400
Frankie07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347537
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

looks sick. i wanna do that to my 07 when i get some cash just got the car so im broke now hahah
Frankie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch "clicking" in 2012 wrx STIDAWG Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 7 03-16-2013 11:22 PM
Where to ground in 2012 wrx hatch? slowhat Car Audio, Video & Security 3 02-24-2012 11:35 PM
pioneer avh-p4000 install in 06sti nation1979 Car Audio, Video & Security 25 02-26-2009 01:47 AM
Pictures of Hid's installed in '02 WRX :) paultg New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 7 12-16-2001 04:22 PM
Found out a short throw shifter wasn't installed in my WRX.. cout Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 5 05-03-2001 05:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.