Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #51
metajames
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 204765
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
Very clean install. I'm doing the exact same thing in my car, so I can appreciate the work involved. Do you mind answering some questions I have?

-How are you handling heat? Androids shutdown when the internal lipo temp gets too high, which is quite easy to do with the car parked in the sun....

-How are you turning it on? Does the nexus 7 automatically turn on when power is applied?

-Got some cute tasker scripts you want to share?

-Are you using car mode or some sort of alternative app?

-Any cool android in car apps you particularly like?

-Did the anti-glare screen help significantly?

-Plans for any cool peripherals? You can let your imagination go crazy with OTG and ioio.
Yes, I'm concerned about heat. Trying to think through some ways to address that. Right now it's winter so I have a few months to figure it out.

I use tasker to turn on screen and wifi when the power is applied via USB. The power adapter is switched.

Nothing fancy in tasker right now just wifi and screen on / off.

During testing I tried out many of the car apps and hated them all, car home ultra is not bad but overall did not like them. I decided that I put the tablet into the car because I really like the stock android experience so why ruin a good thing...

I've been researching IOIO + tasker options for a few ideas. Screen dimming with dash dimmer, timed charging, cooling etc.

Anti-glare helps allot, and had the added surprise benefit of making the tablet polarized sunglasses compatible.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #52
whiskeytech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 95193
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Eaton, OH
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

I was on the internet and I found this...

http://hackaday.com/2013/01/29/adapt...board-opening/

I thought it looked oddly familiar
whiskeytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #53
400whp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330817
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default

I'm doing this project this weekend.
I know I'm going to jack something up, but can't wait!
400whp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #54
gambera
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305167
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytech View Post
I was on the internet and I found this...

http://hackaday.com/2013/01/29/adapt...board-opening/

I thought it looked oddly familiar

Looks like somebody noticed his work and I gotta say it's a really good one.

I'm thinking of doing it, except I got galaxy tab 10.1. But that's summer project for now and if I can fit in the dash
gambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #55
05_wRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170097
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi PTE6266
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotboxe View Post
Just looked it up and it says 20w amp. Would this be loud and clear enough for a car with a loud exhaust? Is it comparable to most aftermarket radios as far as sound? I assume it would need a separate amp to really be clear?
Pretty sure he answered this. I understood that it probably won't be enough for some, but it works. Probably a little better/louder than the stock radio.
05_wRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #56
swicago
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 345419
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

I found this thread via hackaday...
I thought I would post a link that may help the OP...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2019847
The nexus 7 has 4 pogo pins on the side and since jellyBean 4.2.1, these can be used for Charging and Audio output. This would free your BT connection for a phone and you wouldn't have to by any other hardware, such as the USB-OTG DAC.

Cheers
-AL
swicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #57
peteypabs88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170932
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reston
Vehicle:
02 wrb wrx
18g'd

Default

How did you get spotify to work in landscape mode?
peteypabs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #58
GTapex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 270751
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Nice work, I wanna ask how secure is the cig charger plugged in? I would be worried vibrations would shake it loose in that configuration.
GTapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #59
cm26484
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 284582
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypabs88 View Post
How did you get spotify to work in landscape mode?
On Google Play search for the Set Orientation app. This will change the orientation for several apps that do not have a native landscape mode.
cm26484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #60
zedix
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336913
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza Ltd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm26484 View Post
On Google Play search for the Set Orientation app. This will change the orientation for several apps that do not have a native landscape mode.
You win the Internet, sir! That's awesome.
zedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #61
DriveTurkey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 345650
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Bugeye
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
Yes, I'm concerned about heat. Trying to think through some ways to address that. Right now it's winter so I have a few months to figure it out.

I use tasker to turn on screen and wifi when the power is applied via USB. The power adapter is switched.

Nothing fancy in tasker right now just wifi and screen on / off.

During testing I tried out many of the car apps and hated them all, car home ultra is not bad but overall did not like them. I decided that I put the tablet into the car because I really like the stock android experience so why ruin a good thing...

I've been researching IOIO + tasker options for a few ideas. Screen dimming with dash dimmer, timed charging, cooling etc.

Anti-glare helps allot, and had the added surprise benefit of making the tablet polarized sunglasses compatible.


I plan to replicate your setup on my '02 WRX.
Thinking about heat, my idea is to use a usb fan

and connect that to some of battery pack that supports pass-through charging like the HyperJuice Mini


and connecting it to the usb fans. The fans would still run when the car is off, and would probably run a long time with a decent sized battery pack.
add in a USB on/off switch

and you have an easy cooling system that will run all day.

I was thinking of drilling holes in the Nexus cover and mounting the fans with Sugru (or some adhesive). You could even go as far are popping off the back cover of the Nexus 7 itself and drilling a few holes. Ifixit.com did a teardown and the back cover comes off very quickly.

I plan to install a radio where my clock is using a Upper Dash DIN mount and just running an AUX cable to the Nexus. The power with use a 12v adapter that my mechanic will run straight to the battery to charge the device.

I am also going to hid a NFC tag behind my dash that will trigger my phone to turn on WIFI hotspot and connect to my Nexus for internet.

I'm going to start with buying the Dash mount and redoing my radio before anything else. I kind of want to find a ****ty looking deck that that has Back AUX out to deter theft. All I would use the radio for is to power speakers volume/radio. Any Suggestions on something not flashy?

I might wait and see about a 1080p Nexus 7 that could come out in may (Link)

Can you tell me which Metra radio mount you used specifically?
DriveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #62
AzN121184
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40943
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: oakland, california
Vehicle:
2003 subaru wrx
aspen white

Default

wow. impressed with the build! good job.
AzN121184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #63
Sethdawg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271691
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Ojai Ca,
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Gorgeous!
Sethdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #64
bograma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 256712
Join Date: Sep 2010
Subaru Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
Yes, I'm concerned about heat. Trying to think through some ways to address that.
James, great setup, enjoy! I had the same idea more than a year ago but didn't take it far than that.
Regarding heat and possibly theft, my idea was to make it removable, as in take the N7 w/ me when I left the car. Taking into account your previous experience, would you find it possible?
bograma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #65
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

NICE WORK!

Have a few questions though,


Did you need a special harness to go from your wiring to the bluetooth receiver?
(Crutchfield is telling me I need a wiring harness then a special bluetooth harness that connects to the bluetooth receiver)
Have you had a problem with the MKi9 disconnecting on you?

I see you're in SoCal and so am I so how much did the acrylic cost? and what dimensions did you use for the acrylic?
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #66
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bograma View Post
James, great setup, enjoy! I had the same idea more than a year ago but didn't take it far than that.
Regarding heat and possibly theft, my idea was to make it removable, as in take the N7 w/ me when I left the car. Taking into account your previous experience, would you find it possible?
I've been designing mine to be removable and here is my thoughts. If you look at his acrylic box, I would have the bottom piece stick out the front a bit more, then on the bottom use the new Asus dock and attach it to the box. Then you drop the N7 into the dock and you can use the OTG cable and have it connected to an octopus so you can connect it to a hard drive or whatever you want.
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #67
Andrew025
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 303408
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Or
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loougle View Post

I've been designing mine to be removable and here is my thoughts. If you look at his acrylic box, I would have the bottom piece stick out the front a bit more, then on the bottom use the new Asus dock and attach it to the box. Then you drop the N7 into the dock and you can use the OTG cable and have it connected to an octopus so you can connect it to a hard drive or whatever you want.
That's what I've been planning to do but haven't found any info on if it supports charging from the dock and allows otg access.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #68
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
That's what I've been planning to do but haven't found any info on if it supports charging from the dock and allows otg access.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...k-4-1-2-a.html


This guy tested it and it looks like a go, I've been trying to find the same info on XDA but I didn't find anything except I did see your question on that thread though! Hahahaha
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #69
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

http://www.adorama.com/ASNEX7DO.html#reviews

This guy right here used the dock with the USB squid
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #70
Andrew025
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 303408
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Or
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loougle View Post

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...k-4-1-2-a.html

This guy tested it and it looks like a go, I've been trying to find the same info on XDA but I didn't find anything except I did see your question on that thread though! Hahahaha
nice, thanks for the link.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #71
05_wRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170097
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi PTE6266
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post

In a regular install the Parrot "intercepts" the speaker outs from the existing head unit, in my case I just have nothing connected on that side. Not sure if the parrot can push preamp out, have a look at the install manual downloaded from their website it has everything on there. If your starting from scratch the Parrot may not be the best choice. It was easy for me since I had already installed it.

May not be in your budget but for a super slick install and power amp integration check out the Audison bit One. Use it with a usb DAC and OTG cable.

I control audio from the touch screen, you can from parrot remote but I find it finicky depending on the audio application currently playing.
Is there an extra micro USB port for the otg cable? If not, how would it charge and provide audio at the same time? Wouldn't the otg cable be using the charging port? I couldn't find a detailed enough side profile of the nexus 7 to see if there was an extra port.

Thanks.
05_wRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #72
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_wRex View Post
Is there an extra micro USB port for the otg cable? If not, how would it charge and provide audio at the same time? Wouldn't the otg cable be using the charging port? I couldn't find a detailed enough side profile of the nexus 7 to see if there was an extra port.

Thanks.
The audio is through bluetooth with his Pelican unit.
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #73
05_wRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170097
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi PTE6266
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loougle View Post

The audio is through bluetooth with his Pelican unit.
I understand. I was talking about using a USB DAC.
05_wRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #74
Loougle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347121
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_wRex View Post
I understand. I was talking about using a USB DAC.
Wow I'm dumb my bad, you can use a USB squid or you can try the new Asus dock and then use the USB port for the DAC
Loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #75
maksusi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317947
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Best setup I've seen so far!
Can you describe how you've integrated your speakers and tablet?
maksusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.