Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
tunedbysti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334146
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Honda Accord LX
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500

Default 1999 Subaru Legacy Motor Swap... Seeking Advice...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2459573

I already have this posted in the Newbie forum, but I had it recommended to me to go and try the Conversion portion so... I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon with the EJ223 N/A motor and long story short, I will be needing to swap out this motor for another one. I have always wanted to have a car that's turbo, so I am considering a swap out of a early Legacy turbo with the "EJ223T" or I had recommended to me to do a WRX swap. So, I would like to ask you guys out there, what would I need to do? What years of motors should I be looking at? Pros/cons of a turbo'd swap, cost... Things like that. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tunedbysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
chaz345
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 340410
Vehicle:
91 Legacy Sedan
Grey/oxidized

I'm not suggesting that a WRX motor would necessarily be unreliable, but those old EJ22 Turbos are about bulletproof. That and while there's not necessarily a lot that would need to change over doing a WRX swap, an EJ22 Turbo swap would be pretty much bolt in the engine and switch out the ECU. I think, although I'm not sure, that the wiring harness is the same. Finding a Turbo EJ22 may be a bit tricky though. If you decide to go the EJ22T route, I know a guy down here in Portland that could possibly help with technical information and maybe even finding a motor.
chaz345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
tunedbysti
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Honda Accord LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz345 View Post
I'm not suggesting that a WRX motor would necessarily be unreliable, but those old EJ22 Turbos are about bulletproof. That and while there's not necessarily a lot that would need to change over doing a WRX swap, an EJ22 Turbo swap would be pretty much bolt in the engine and switch out the ECU. I think, although I'm not sure, that the wiring harness is the same. Finding a Turbo EJ22 may be a bit tricky though. If you decide to go the EJ22T route, I know a guy down here in Portland that could possibly help with technical information and maybe even finding a motor.
Sorry, I'm not able to get onto NASIOC too much, but I just saw your post and I was wondering if could could PM me with the contact info for the guy you know in Portland. I'd appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Under Federal Law you cannot put an engine that is older than your chassis into the car. If you have to go through emissions where you are, they will flag the Ej22t. Also, in stock form it is a turd. Makes 20hp more than your current NA engine.

If you want to swap in a turbo, plan to rewire/merge like any other swap in this forum. I suggest you go over to the Normally Aspirated forum and look for the High Compression Frankenstein thread. Might give you some new ideas that you haven't considered yet...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
vorbash21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346253

Hey,
I have just finished a Subaru engine and ECU conversion on my 1976 VW Bus. I bought a 1995 Subaru Legacy and I took all the stuff I need for the conversion off this Subaru. The problem I am having is I thought I pulled the right box for the immobilizer but I didn’t and I no long have the car. The bus will start but will not stay running because I don’t have the immobilizer. There are two wires coming off the ECU for the immobilizer, one red and one blue. My question is, is there away to keep the bus running without the immobilizer. 2. Can I remove the immobilizer from the ECU? 3. Can I use a bypass box to bypass the immobilizer? Last question is there anything I can do? I have pictures if you need to see this vehicle. The the ECU number is (R9 A18-000 RR3, 22611 AB441). Any help would be great. If you need to PM me just let me know. Thanks
vorbash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
tunedbysti
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Honda Accord LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Under Federal Law you cannot put an engine that is older than your chassis into the car. If you have to go through emissions where you are, they will flag the Ej22t. Also, in stock form it is a turd. Makes 20hp more than your current NA engine.

If you want to swap in a turbo, plan to rewire/merge like any other swap in this forum. I suggest you go over to the Normally Aspirated forum and look for the High Compression Frankenstein thread. Might give you some new ideas that you haven't considered yet...
I actually don't have to go through emissions where I live. (One benefit from living in a tiny town) ^w^ I'm still considering the swap, but I have had more people suggest to me to do a 02-03 WRX motor swap into my car, and I know it's gonna be a big project, but that's just the kind of thing I want. It would be my first swap that I've ever done. I'm excited!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
MMY MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335135
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
WRC blue

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on an 02 Forester build I'm working on, and I think a lot of my research would apply to you as well.

Firstly look over some completed builds and find out what steps people are taking for your chasis and model (if you can find someone who's done it that specifically). I found a few very informative builds on the Forester forums that clued me in on what I needed to expect and the forks in the road that I would encounter.

Another question to ask yourself is how big do you want to go? What are your goals for the car, and what's your budget like? I struggled with this a lot, and still do, but I've moved past a lot of my basic decisions (transmission, motor, AVCS, turbo size, etc) and I'm into the nitty gritty mostly now (oem radiator or aftermarket, MAP tune or MAF tune, etc)

I can certainly help outline some of the information I've come across in private messages, but asking a question this open is going to yield a lot of vague responses. Like this one.

My two basic schools of thought on doing my conversion were:

-keep it simple and go with almost entirely OEM parts
OR
-go nuts and build for power while you've got the motor out

If you want to go with a basic OEM WRX swap you'll probably have an easier time, as hybrid builds, wiring, fueling and all that stuff will becoming more complicated the deeper you go. If simplicity and cost effectiveness is paramount then I'd be in the market for a smashed low mileage 02-05 WRX to rob blind of it's parts, upgrade to a VF series turbo and call it a day. This option could be done for maybe $5,000-8,000 depending on the car your source and the amount of labor your do yourself. Output will be maybe 300/300 with a VF43 turbo upgrade and will be moderately reliable depending on the starting mileage, use, tune, and transmission condition.

If you want to go nuts and have the money to go nuts then start reading up on AVCS swaps vs hybrid swaps, transmission choices (built 5spd vs 6spd?), and turbo choices (big 35r or 18gxtr?). This option for me is panning out to around $15,000-20,000 all told based on my build list (I have an extensive list of parts I've purchased and parts I have yet to purchase). Output on this depends on however deep you really want to go, 450/450 could be approachable for the upper end of the price point above. For me the build of the motor and the Sti transmissions durability record was worth the extra money; If I'm spending 8k, why not spend 15k and get the extra power and durability if you have it?

Anyways like I said, PM me if you want to talk more tech, or share links or anything. Right now I'm being general to just give you an overview of what I think you're getting into.
MMY MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
MMY MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335135
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
WRC blue

Also the 2.5rs is a good model of what types of steps you're going to have to take to convert your car. A lot of the same model year Subaru's pre 2002 share wiring, mounts, and a lot of the underhood routing from what I've seen. 2.5rs and the old imprezas see a lot more love than Legacys or Foresters generally do so try out some of the RS / GC8 specific websites for good info.
MMY MSL is offline   Reply With Quote