Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
w0ng3r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305528
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Black

Default Help deciding on a head unit

Hey all, I'm trying to decide on a single din head unit for my nexus 7 install,

My budget is around $250, AUX in, USB and BT are a must.

Current short list is as follows:
Alpine CDE136
Kenwood Excelon 996
JVC KD-R80BT

Does anyone have any opinions on these head units? or have better recommendations? how do they fare by themselves? and are would they be worth upgrading with an amp later down the road? thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by w0ng3r; 02-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.
w0ng3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
limdoug
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262767
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Base Hatch
White

While I think those Nexus 7 installs are really cool if you are just using existing hardware you already own...I think it's a better value to just get an AppRadio 2 and use ARLiberator with your Android phone (assuming you own one).

http://slickdeals.net/f/5869092-Pion...-in-Rebate-NEW

If not, I like the 996 you have a lot as well as the Pioneer DEH-80PRS.
limdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
w0ng3r
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Black

existing hardware would mean the stock HU, which I absolutely abhor, half the time it will glitch when trying to pair my phone.

As for the appradio, pioneer will never be able to update their firmware fast enough, as it is right now, my nexus 4 is incompatible with it. it also seems pretty laggy when running with AR liberator, or maybe it was just because of the galaxy s3 was not running jelly bean

the 80PRS is nice, but kinda pricey.

Last edited by w0ng3r; 02-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
limdoug
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Base Hatch
White

I'm running a Nexus 4 with the Appradio 2 and ARLiberator. I don't think it's laggy at all. Not as smooth as just on the phone, but I'd say it's 95% there and that's good enough for about $280 bucks right now.

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car ElectronicsAmazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car Electronics

The 80prs is right in your price range.

If you are thinking about mounting it behind the nexus 7, don't get the 80prs though since the face plate is pretty thick, it wouldn't allow you to close it off. I tried a quick test fit because I happened to own a nexus 7 and 80prs and it was a no go. Ultimately, your car and your call. I was thinking about going the nexus 7 route too, but when the 80prs didn't fit behind the 7 without hacking some stuff out I went the app radio route.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
w0ng3r
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
I'm running a Nexus 4 with the Appradio 2 and ARLiberator. I don't think it's laggy at all. Not as smooth as just on the phone, but I'd say it's 95% there and that's good enough for about $280 bucks right now.

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car Electronics

The 80prs is right in your price range.

If you are thinking about mounting it behind the nexus 7, don't get the 80prs though since the face plate is pretty thick, it wouldn't allow you to close it off. I tried a quick test fit because I happened to own a nexus 7 and 80prs and it was a no go. Ultimately, your car and your call. I was thinking about going the nexus 7 route too, but when the 80prs didn't fit behind the 7 without hacking some stuff out I went the app radio route.
Oh nice, amazon has a good price on it.

I think at the end of the day, the only real reason i dislike the appradio is the resolution is alot lower compared to the nexus 7. But I will have to give it some serious cost vs benefit thought

but thanks for the great info, keep it coming guys

Last edited by w0ng3r; 02-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Justaddh30
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345825
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX 4dr
Dark Grey

Wow. I didn't know this was an option. With ARLiberator and Appradio2 do you have to have your phone's screen on all the time? What happens if you turn the screen off?

I'd think this drains battery. I have a GS3 which has MHL so I might be able to charge it at the same time.

Also, what is the sound quality like on the SPH-DA100? A big reason for me upgrading is the crappy sound coming from the OEM HU.
Justaddh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
w0ng3r
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaddh30 View Post
Wow. I didn't know this was an option. With ARLiberator and Appradio2 do you have to have your phone's screen on all the time? What happens if you turn the screen off?

I'd think this drains battery. I have a GS3 which has MHL so I might be able to charge it at the same time.

Also, what is the sound quality like on the SPH-DA100? A big reason for me upgrading is the crappy sound coming from the OEM HU.

there's an app for turning off your device screen while keeping it on the headunit, can't remember what its called. the da100 has a really low powered internal amp though, i think its 12-14 watts rms.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Justaddh30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX 4dr
Dark Grey

ah yes here it is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenstandby

after looking into this more, i don't think this specific HU will fit my needs. The video mirroring is awesome but it doesn't have CD player, HD radio, auxiliary input, or A2DP to stream music from bluetooth

If they release a unit that does have all those features then I'm definitely in
Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
limdoug
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Base Hatch
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaddh30 View Post
ah yes here it is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenstandby

after looking into this more, i don't think this specific HU will fit my needs. The video mirroring is awesome but it doesn't have CD player, HD radio, auxiliary input, or A2DP to stream music from bluetooth

If they release a unit that does have all those features then I'm definitely in
Correct...that's the app you'd use. As far as your needs...
- CD player...correct not one in there but couldn't you just rip and put it on your phone?
- HD radio...totally correct again. Try tunein or iheartradio apps though as they have a ton of channels.
- Aux input...what would you need this for if it can play everything on your phone?
-A2DP...again what would you need this for because presumably you'd be streaming from your phone right?

Sounds like I'm a huge ARL fanboy =). I guess I am...just very happy with the set up.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Justaddh30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX 4dr
Dark Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
Correct...that's the app you'd use. As far as your needs...
- CD player...correct not one in there but couldn't you just rip and put it on your phone?
- HD radio...totally correct again. Try tunein or iheartradio apps though as they have a ton of channels.
- Aux input...what would you need this for if it can play everything on your phone?
-A2DP...again what would you need this for because presumably you'd be streaming from your phone right?

Sounds like I'm a huge ARL fanboy =). I guess I am...just very happy with the set up.
For the most part I could deal with the limitations, but sometimes I'll have a passenger that wants to play music via their device and they either don't have a capable A2DP device or I don't feel like setting it up for them.

I do want the ARL streaming abilities, but not at the cost of the others. Hopefully Pioneer will expand their offerings
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
razzmatazz_21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348221
Vehicle:
2008 impreza
blue

I have owned many head units and I would have to say Kenwood seems to always trump everyone else. They are great radios, easy to use and highly compatible with BT
razzmatazz_21 is offline   Reply With Quote