Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

LOL ****ing trolls on nayscock thinking they know subarus.

12K for a bugeye well modded and barely driven... with only 65K miles...

YOu won't be able to find that anywhere else on the east coast with 0 rust on it lol.

Don't let half these douches that think they know subaru's scare you out of it. If he's willing to go through and pay for a compression test and you saw it in person and everything, why would he screw you on a car? Not to mention IMO he's taking a hit on it.

But to each their own. Clean car you'll have a blast with it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
bentone
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348469
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I think it boils down to how you feel about the current and previous owner. I wouldn't buy a heavily modded car unless I was confident the owner had done things right and taken care of the car from a maintenance standpoint. The logical extreme here is buying a race car--you wouldn't buy one without a well-established history. But if that history is there, you're likely to get a steal vs. spending all of the money to build the same car yourself. Incidentally I'm selling my 2005 PSM WRX Wagon, which has twice as many miles but NEVER any mods, and I'm listing it for $9.5k with quite a few bites so far...
bentone is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
theaykk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340731
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Looks like a good deal, good lookin car for sure
theaykk is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Default

Hope you don't end up like the last 3 or 4 people I know of who bought "low mileage" (50-70k) Bugeyes. All have had problem after problem and are dumping paycheck after paycheck into their cars just to keep it on the road.
vision.dynamix is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
I think it boils down to how you feel about the current and previous owner. I wouldn't buy a heavily modded car unless I was confident the owner had done things right and taken care of the car from a maintenance standpoint. The logical extreme here is buying a race car--you wouldn't buy one without a well-established history. But if that history is there, you're likely to get a steal vs. spending all of the money to build the same car yourself. Incidentally I'm selling my 2005 PSM WRX Wagon, which has twice as many miles but NEVER any mods, and I'm listing it for $9.5k with quite a few bites so far...

What do you consider done right... Making a 2.0L 300+ whp and no detonation?

I think the list of mods are all supporting of eachother pretty well

Its not just another POS wrx stage 2 with coils and "rimz" like everyother one out with a ****ty tune
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139955
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Incidentally I'm selling my 2005 PSM WRX Wagon, which has twice as many miles but NEVER any mods, and I'm listing it for $9.5k with quite a few bites so far...
Bites and "interest" means absolutely nothing. You can have a million bites and none will give you the pile of money you're looking for.
vision.dynamix is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
eNx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268580
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Hope you don't end up like the last 3 or 4 people I know of who bought "low mileage" (50-70k) Bugeyes. All have had problem after problem and are dumping paycheck after paycheck into their cars just to keep it on the road.
Yup, met a guy who bought an 06 STi, this year, with 16K miles.... yes only 16,000 miles

Dude that sold it to him said he did his own work. Anyways, that thing runs pretty ****ty, for only having 16K.
eNx is online now  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
08_sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347911
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: awaii
Vehicle:
08 subaru wrx sti
aspen white

Default

Sounds like a good price, get it checked out though
08_sti is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
LUMBERZACK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 340009
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arizona
Vehicle:
2007 STi
48W

Default

Looks great and for only 12k, I'm jelly.
LUMBERZACK is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
WaitTheresMore
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289315
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: The Rainy NW
Vehicle:
2006 STi
"Frosty"

Default

miles don't mean crap, I test drove a 06 sti with 30k miles which ran like crap vs a 45k 06 sti which ran much better. It all comes down how the car was treated, for example did the owner let the car warm up or he just gunned it full throttle right away.

My suspicion with this car is that why did the owner let it go for so cheap and dropping 2k right away, to me the lowest I would take is 14k max for the amount of mods.

Also the owner could of put the the car back to stock and sold the parts and made more money of it but he chose to sell it as is.
WaitTheresMore is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #36
boosted25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316107
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Andover mass
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx sportwagon
Rally blue

Default

congrats on the purchase. might not be 100% accurate but by the mod list it seems to represent someone that actually cared for and maintained the car properly. instead of slapping on an untuned godspeed 20g asking whats the max boost they can run.
well maintained cars are getting fewer and farther apart nowadays sadly. I have 107k on my car and it drives like a new car on the lot because the previous owner maintained it very well for the 70k miles he owned it for. granted I waited roughly a year to find one that wasn't a money pit lol
boosted25 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #37
Euro Skank
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185333
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Killadelphia
Vehicle:
03 Impreza WRX.

Default

I was looking for exactly what I stated:

"What do you gentleman think? I was looking for a daily driver with some character, something I can tinker with, reliable, and turbo. I don't think I could have done any better. "

Do the mods support a reliable daily driver?

I have looked for a better deal. Can't find one within 100 miles of 18066. Especially one with the owner willing to pay for compression test and have it inspected at his hassle.

I've been to dealer after dealer, taken home piles of **** on overnight test drives that were straight turds. 03's-10's, nothing that wasn't clean and still within $5k of kbb or true market value. I'm not spending 10k on an 04 with 180,000 miles on it. That's insane.

Sorry for ruffling feathers, the northeast is a hard place to find clean subarus in.


Last edited by Euro Skank; 02-28-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Euro Skank is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #38
DansSpace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157029
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
'13 Mazdaspeed3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Skank View Post
I was looking for exactly what I stated:

"What do you gentleman think? I was looking for a daily driver with some character, something I can tinker with, reliable, and turbo. I don't think I could have done any better. "

Do the mods support a reliable daily driver?

I have looked for a better deal. Can't find one within 100 miles of 18066. Especially one with the owner willing to pay for compression test and have it inspected at his hassle.

I've been to dealer after dealer, taken home piles of **** on overnight test drives that were straight turds. 03's-10's, nothing that wasn't clean and still within $5k of kbb or true market value. I'm not spending 10k on an 04 with 180,000 miles on it. That's insane.

Sorry for ruffling feathers, the northeast is a hard place to find clean subarus in.

I'll rescind my initial comments if you admit that calling me a troll was silly. Perhaps we both could have been slightly more tactful.
I stated a fact. Do I think it's smart to spend that much on a ten year old car in comparison to what it was worth ten years ago? No. But if it's what you really want and it's the best of a bad situation (a bad situation being an inflated value of subarus in the north-east for obvious reasons), then it isn't terrible. The owner is obviously going to certain lengths to assure you that the vehicle runs well, and the mileage is relatively low. 300whp isn't going to explode a 2.0L and a 5speed, but its certainly enough that you should be careful, and it goes without saying that buying a modded car is a huge risk in itself. Did you get a good deal? Possibly. Depends on how the car treats you as a daily driver. Would I buy it? No, because I'd rather buy a stock vehicle. But if you got a vehicle you really wanted at a price you wanted to pay, then it's worth it to you. Why bother posting a thread to validate your purchase?
DansSpace is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #39
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTheresMore View Post
miles don't mean crap, I test drove a 06 sti with 30k miles which ran like crap vs a 45k 06 sti which ran much better. It all comes down how the car was treated, for example did the owner let the car warm up or he just gunned it full throttle right away.

My suspicion with this car is that why did the owner let it go for so cheap and dropping 2k right away, to me the lowest I would take is 14k max for the amount of mods.

Also the owner could of put the the car back to stock and sold the parts and made more money of it but he chose to sell it as is.
I've struck interest in the car... Before... Its been for sale since December... I don't think 2K for a quick sale and a 240sx build project really has much to worry about.

And as for the part out thing... Have you ever parted out a car? I'm gonna assume no... If you don't work and have days on end to waste putting it back to stock. The labor vs price time doesn't equate out.

My .02 on this. Posting on Nayscock wasn't the best idea considering half the people buy suabau's becasue its the cool thing. Clubwrx or even the rs25 forum would have been alot more helpful.
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
Euro Skank
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185333
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Killadelphia
Vehicle:
03 Impreza WRX.

Default

^ I now know that. Was unaware of those forums. I just remembered I had created an account here 5 years ago when i was looking for my last car.

Ran the car by a friend of mine who is a bmw mechanic and he said that without supporting internal block mods that this is a time bomb living on borrowed time.

Thoughts?
Euro Skank is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
Euro Skank
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185333
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Killadelphia
Vehicle:
03 Impreza WRX.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansSpace View Post
I'll rescind my initial comments if you admit that calling me a troll was silly. Perhaps we both could have been slightly more tactful.
I stated a fact. Do I think it's smart to spend that much on a ten year old car in comparison to what it was worth ten years ago? No. But if it's what you really want and it's the best of a bad situation (a bad situation being an inflated value of subarus in the north-east for obvious reasons), then it isn't terrible. The owner is obviously going to certain lengths to assure you that the vehicle runs well, and the mileage is relatively low. 300whp isn't going to explode a 2.0L and a 5speed, but its certainly enough that you should be careful, and it goes without saying that buying a modded car is a huge risk in itself. Did you get a good deal? Possibly. Depends on how the car treats you as a daily driver. Would I buy it? No, because I'd rather buy a stock vehicle. But if you got a vehicle you really wanted at a price you wanted to pay, then it's worth it to you. Why bother posting a thread to validate your purchase?
agreed
Euro Skank is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #42
p951951951t
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276541
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Georgia
Vehicle:
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV
Alfa Rosso

Default

When you have found a good car, you know it. If you are perceptive anyway. There are a lot of subaru owners who try to pass of any old piece of junk as the best thing since sliced bread.

Paying a little more for a car/owner combination that gives you peace of mind is ALWAYS worth it. Go with your gut every time.
p951951951t is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #43
bugeye829
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 81995
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco
Vehicle:
2005 Scion xB
02 WRX 247k RIP

Default

It's kind of crazy how the price of a used WRX has gone up over the years.
So in 2013, people are asking $20k for a 2009 WRX? Back in 2006, people were only asking about 15k for a 2002 WRX. I got mine for 10k because i was working at a Mitsubishi dealer at the time and some guy traded in the WRX for a new EVO and they totally raped him on a trade in, gave him 9500 on a 4 year old WRX. Come to think of it, i probably could have sold it for profit but at the time it was my dream car so i kept it and still driving it to this day.
But i guess its a good thing they are so popular, they are holding good value.
bugeye829 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Skank View Post
^ I now know that. Was unaware of those forums. I just remembered I had created an account here 5 years ago when i was looking for my last car.

Ran the car by a friend of mine who is a bmw mechanic and he said that without supporting internal block mods that this is a time bomb living on borrowed time.

Thoughts?

If you look on clubwrx there are guys running right around 35-380 whp without touching the internals. It really comes down to the PROPER TUNE and also the corrosponding modifactions surrounding everything.

Honestly from what you said. With a 20G and hasn't had any issues? And the car runs 100% and the shop he's taking it too is a well known subaru builder. You won't have any issues. Everything thats been done was done at RT tuning. If you look at what they do they are subaru specailists along with another company PSI proformance.

If youre having doubts about a car, you shouldn't be driving one. Not to be an ars... but its the truth. Its like a squid buying a motorcycle and letting it sit because he's to worried about spilling it. My thoughts with my car purchases is look it over. If YOU, not anyone else, has doubts about it than don't. But for the price, milage, and a car that sits in a garage that is rust free and never even beaten on besides a dyno tune. You show me someone else that has that.

And as far as performance if you don't like all the mods, take them off make it stock and sell the parts and make some cash. **** if i hadn't dropped all my cash on bikes and bought a modded car that i wanted stock i'd grab it from underneath the seller and part out the performance. Win win in my eyes.
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

I wouldn't pay $12k for a car that's been modded to the moon as a matter of principle. Mods don't add value to a car, they detract from it, and I'd steer clear of a 10 year old, turbocharged Subaru that's been heavily modified.

I can't emphasize enough the dumb stuff people do to these cars. Even if the car was intelligently modified, the chances are probably pretty high that he was beating on it every chance he got. Who increases the performance of their car and then doesn't make use of it?
FaastLegacy is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
BadComrade
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157477
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
crystal gray metallic

Default

Maybe dude got sick of it and wanted to get something new. I've known people that have done that, so that could be the deal in this case. People will spend crazy money restoring a car, then sell it, sometimes at a loss, just because they have the itch to build another one.
BadComrade is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #47
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
I wouldn't pay $12k for a car that's been modded to the moon as a matter of principle. Mods don't add value to a car, they detract from it, and I'd steer clear of a 10 year old, turbocharged Subaru that's been heavily modified.

I can't emphasize enough the dumb stuff people do to these cars. Even if the car was intelligently modified, the chances are probably pretty high that he was beating on it every chance he got. Who increases the performance of their car and then doesn't make use of it?

Coming from the guy who has a bro-stang... Nice lol

Run nitrous on it too bro?
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #48
SSGSXR 2.5RS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302851
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
White

Default

Honestly... Its all about personal prefernece I sold my subaru's and got out of it because honestly... RWD is more fun. If i wanted a huge HP car its would be RWD and not to mention you cna't get insane power from subaru without constantly having to rebuild a block.

I guess that's why home boy got a mustang. And to answer ihs question why keep a car you built that only sits in a garage?

Makes no sense. Considering the seller travels all across country for work. But yeah. I say instead of putting down the car and what the kid wants let him decide for himself.

Not to mention half you assclowns own subaru's but talk **** on them... gotta love this forum
SSGSXR 2.5RS is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #49
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSXR 2.5RS View Post
Coming from the guy who has a bro-stang... Nice lol

Run nitrous on it too bro?
Nice 2.5RS. Couldn't afford a real Subaru, huh?

FaastLegacy is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #50
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSXR 2.5RS View Post
Makes no sense. Considering the seller travels all across country for work. But yeah. I say instead of putting down the car and what the kid wants let him decide for himself.

Not to mention half you assclowns own subaru's but talk **** on them... gotta love this forum
I wasn't putting down the car, I just don't agree with buying used, heavily modified cars. I think you're asking for trouble, unless you know the seller and you know the car extremely well.
FaastLegacy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.