Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Custom Fabrication, Welding & Tools

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 268817
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

Default Home brew SS 3" midpipe

Hey all,

I figured I'd share my weekend work. I previous installed a catted 3" down pipe and the car came with an SPT cat back, but the SPT midpipe was 2.5". I know it won't make much (if any) difference but I thought it would be fun to weld up an SS 3" pipe. The welds aren't pretty as I did all the work on a 40+ year old stick welder running 1/16" and 3/32" E6013 rod. Didn't feel like spending he money on SS rod.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bridgestone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
DeleriousZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323869
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2000 ST-outback
White/Grey

Cool man, but why did you go with SS piping if you weren't going to weld it with stainless rod?
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

so the welds would rust but not the rest of the exhaust. duh

OP, you should paint at least the welds to keep from rusting. and god damn for using a stick welder. that takes some skill to not burn though that thin tubing.

also, whats the wood saw blade for? home made cold saw?
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56 View Post
so the welds would rust but not the rest of the exhaust. duh

OP, you should paint at least the welds to keep from rusting. and god damn for using a stick welder. that takes some skill to not burn though that thin tubing.

also, whats the wood saw blade for? home made cold saw?

Thanks! haha and yes, I'm going to seal the welds, it's just on the car as a shake down of sorts. Given that I did stick weld it, I'm waiting for any unnoticed pin holes to show themselves then I'll spot weld those locations and seal it up. I did light test the welds first, but I'm sure i missed some. Typically the welds don't rust that much even when using mild steel rod though.

The blade you see in the picture is a 60 tooth metal chop saw blade. I ran a speed controller on the chop saw to bring the rpms down to the correct speed for metal so I wouldn't burn up the blade (so yes, home brew cold saw). I'm fairly new to exhaust fab work but I'm looking forward to picking up a mig or tig soon . I have several other projects in mind for down the road.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

interesting, i have thought about that before with a chop saw. are you using a router speed controller? got any pics of that setup? how does it work for you? where did you pick up the blade?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56 View Post
interesting, i have thought about that before with a chop saw. are you using a router speed controller? got any pics of that setup? how does it work for you? where did you pick up the blade?
Exactly - I picked up the speed controller from amazon along with the blade. If you decide to go with the speed controller setup I suggest picking up a laser tachometer to set the blade rpm.

Here's a list of parts, I didn't get the tachometer but wish I did.

Amazon.com: Irwin Industrial Tools 4935558 12-Inch 60-Tooth Metal Cutting Circular Saw Blade for Ferrous Steel: Home ImprovementAmazon.com: Irwin Industrial Tools 4935558 12-Inch 60-Tooth Metal Cutting Circular Saw Blade for Ferrous Steel: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: MLCS 9400 Standard Duty Router Speed Control: Home ImprovementAmazon.com: MLCS 9400 Standard Duty Router Speed Control: Home Improvement

Digital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach: Amazon.com: Industrial & ScientificDigital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 02-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

so how well does it work? how many cuts do you get from a blade?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Subikid90
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 239233
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1998 LGT
White

In for the results on the home brewed cold cut saw!

Also if you have a DC stick welder you can pick up a tig torch with gas valve, bottle of argon, flowmeter and use that as a starch start setup.
Subikid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

The chop saw worked really well and made clean cuts. I wish I had the tachometer because I turned up the speed controller at one point and in two cuts burned up the blade. Luckily I had an older spare blade and finished with that.

I don't have pics of the setup. It's pretty straight forward with a standard wood chop saw fitted with a metal blade. The chop saw plugs into the speed controller and the speed controller goes to an outlet. Operating the saw is a little odd because the saw running free versus when under load draws different current. The saws ability to resist slowing when under load (making a cut) is reduced when the power supplied is reduced. I would recommend setting up a few practice cuts to get the speed dialed under load before starting on the project.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subikid90 View Post
Also if you have a DC stick welder you can pick up a tig torch with gas valve, bottle of argon, flowmeter and use that as a starch start setup.
Very cool. I actually have a spare stick setup that could be converted. I'll need to read up on it more. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Subikid90
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 239233
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1998 LGT
White

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PPKst...%3DPPKstOZSZug

Here is a video explaining what you need
Subikid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
bridgestone24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Stg 2+ HB WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subikid90 View Post
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PPKst...%3DPPKstOZSZug

Here is a video explaining what you need

Neat, thanks for the vid! Watched a lot of this guys welding tutorials but I haven't seen this one.