Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
HellyWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347394
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default Cobb AP Questions & Answers

Looking to have a few questions answered about the Cobb AccessPort. I'm a new-to-me '09 WRX owner and have found a used AccessPort at a great price. I don't know much about the product and have never played around with the electronics of a vehicle. Wondering if there are any risks buying used? I've heard the term "married" and "unmarried" and can assume that means the AP is for one specific car. If I bought one that's married to a different car is it possibly to "unmarry" it and have it married to my car?

Any other general information you can help me out with would be much appreciated! Tips on new vs used, specific tunes, dos and donts.. All info is openly welcomed.

Thanks,
HellyWRX
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
HellyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Rsmwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347983
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I am wondering the same things, I hope someone answers soon.
Rsmwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellyWRX View Post
Looking to have a few questions answered about the Cobb AccessPort. I'm a new-to-me '09 WRX owner and have found a used AccessPort at a great price. I don't know much about the product and have never played around with the electronics of a vehicle. Wondering if there are any risks buying used? I've heard the term "married" and "unmarried" and can assume that means the AP is for one specific car. If I bought one that's married to a different car is it possibly to "unmarry" it and have it married to my car?

Any other general information you can help me out with would be much appreciated! Tips on new vs used, specific tunes, dos and donts.. All info is openly welcomed.

Thanks,
HellyWRX
Hi there.

For your particular car, you will need the SUB-003 version of the version 2 Accessport. The version 2 Accessport is the current device which is gray with a color screen.

If buying a version 2 Accessport used, you will want the seller to take a few pics as described below to verify you are getting a device you can actually use:

How to check that the Accessport is unmarried:
Have seller connect Accessport to their computer and go to the "AccessPORT" -> "About" menu screen. Scroll down to the "Installation State". If the Accessport has been uninstalled, it will show the words "UNINSTALLED" under that category. Do not purchase one that still shows INSTALLED. While we do offer a service to uninstall an Accessport for cases like this, the cost is very high (to discourage a black market of stolen Accessports).

How to check the Accessport part number:
In the same menu above, have them go to "Part Number" and take a pic of what is shown. This will show either AP-SUB-001, AP-SUB-002, or AP-SUB-003. You must get the proper part number for your vehicle. You can find the correct part number at the following link (under Vehicle Compatibility). In the case of the 08+ WRX and STi, this would be AP-SUB-003.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT...rt-s/40200.htm

Do not purchase an Accessport that is for a different part number than what you car requires. We do NOT offer a service to switch Accessports between different part numbers.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
HellyWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347394
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Thank you for the information.. It's been very helpful as the one I would have bought was married to his car! Would have cost me even more money than buying a new one.
HellyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
E85 Tune w/ Dom1.5XTR

Default

Well I took the plunge and ordered the AP and SF with Airbox tonight. My car still only has 75miles on it. I am suprised I made it this long really. I am not completely sold on the intake noise so we'll see if it bugs me or not. The car is my DD. I think the turbo scroll is awesome but I am on the fence when it comes to the BPV noise. This will be the extent of the mods I will do to my car so I can have plausible deniability (yank the sf and unmarry the AP in a hurry if need be)

Sure will be funny when I take the car in for its 3rd or 4th service and the airbox looks brand new lol.
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellyWRX View Post
Thank you for the information.. It's been very helpful as the one I would have bought was married to his car! Would have cost me even more money than buying a new one.
No problem!

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
Well I took the plunge and ordered the AP and SF with Airbox tonight. My car still only has 75miles on it. I am suprised I made it this long really. I am not completely sold on the intake noise so we'll see if it bugs me or not. The car is my DD. I think the turbo scroll is awesome but I am on the fence when it comes to the BPV noise. This will be the extent of the mods I will do to my car so I can have plausible deniability (yank the sf and unmarry the AP in a hurry if need be)

Sure will be funny when I take the car in for its 3rd or 4th service and the airbox looks brand new lol.
Hi there. Thank you for your purchases.

Make sure you download the special "+SF" version of the map you are going to use from the maps section at cobbtuning.com for you car. You can use the Accessport Manager software to transfer the new map from your computer to the Accessport, which can be done before you install the Accessport. We've started to include the "+SF" maps on the Accessport, but we've only done so recently, so your device may or may not include them (may only have the stock intake maps which should not be used with SF intake).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
E85 Tune w/ Dom1.5XTR

Default

Will do thanks Bill.
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
HellyWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347394
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Hi there.

For your particular car, you will need the SUB-003 version of the version 2 Accessport. The version 2 Accessport is the current device which is gray with a color screen.

If buying a version 2 Accessport used, you will want the seller to take a few pics as described below to verify you are getting a device you can actually use:

How to check that the Accessport is unmarried:
Have seller connect Accessport to their computer and go to the "AccessPORT" -> "About" menu screen. Scroll down to the "Installation State". If the Accessport has been uninstalled, it will show the words "UNINSTALLED" under that category. Do not purchase one that still shows INSTALLED. While we do offer a service to uninstall an Accessport for cases like this, the cost is very high (to discourage a black market of stolen Accessports).

How to check the Accessport part number:
In the same menu above, have them go to "Part Number" and take a pic of what is shown. This will show either AP-SUB-001, AP-SUB-002, or AP-SUB-003. You must get the proper part number for your vehicle. You can find the correct part number at the following link (under Vehicle Compatibility). In the case of the 08+ WRX and STi, this would be AP-SUB-003.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT...rt-s/40200.htm

Do not purchase an Accessport that is for a different part number than what you car requires. We do NOT offer a service to switch Accessports between different part numbers.

Bill
One more question. I live in Canada and bought a Canadian '09 WRX and have recently learned that they are different from the '09 REX's in the US. Was wondering if I should still use the '09 maps downloaded from the Cobb website or if I should use '08 maps? I was told the Canadian '09 WRX is the 224hp same as the '08 not the 265hp like the 09's in the US. If you could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.
HellyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellyWRX View Post
One more question. I live in Canada and bought a Canadian '09 WRX and have recently learned that they are different from the '09 REX's in the US. Was wondering if I should still use the '09 maps downloaded from the Cobb website or if I should use '08 maps? I was told the Canadian '09 WRX is the 224hp same as the '08 not the 265hp like the 09's in the US. If you could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.
As far as we've seen, the Canadian engine control unit (ECU) always uses the USDM ROM image, so there are no compatibility problems that we've seen when using the Accessport for these cars. I don't recall hearing that the Canadian 09 WRX was the same as the 08 WRX. But, if that is true, then likely it would just be using the USDM 08 WRX ECU (it couldn't use the 09 WRX ECU as that is designed for obviously different hardware). The Accessport always identifies the ECU it is installing to before it starts the process and will not allow any install if it is not an ECU that it recognizes.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
HellyWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347394
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Thanks again Bill, I will try the '09 map first then and go from there!
HellyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellyWRX View Post
Thanks again Bill, I will try the '09 map first then and go from there!
To clarify, the Accessport will identify what ECU you have and expose a selection of the main maps available for your car. There are additional maps available to download in the maps section at cobbtuning.com, but the Accessport will only let you install maps that are for the exact ECU it has identified. So, if it identifies your ECU as an 08 WRX, for example, you will only be able to install 08 WRX maps.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.