Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Tim McCreary
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348782
Default New and need help with remote starter.

Just bought a used 2008 Impreza 2.5i and wanted to install a factory remote start. Bought a factory Subaru remote start and installed. Afterward, I realized it needed programmed at the dealer. Took to the dealer and they said it will only start half the time. Took it home and only starts 1 in 10 times. It will go through the cycle, start every time, then shut off with the security light blinking. It appears that the "key in ignition" signal is not there and is shutting down after start.

Need help/advice:

1. This is a plug and play system. Dealer said it was the install that is the problem. I saw a factory troubleshooting guide. Does this require use of the dealer computer to troubleshoot?

2. Tech said the immobilizer ring could be out of position. I repositioned several times with no better results.

3. Only wiring failure involves the immobilizer bypass signal not getting to the computer. Do they sell just the immobilized ring?

I don't want to take it. To the dealer and spend hundreds of dollars and find it was a simple fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Tim McCreary; 03-02-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Auto spell check
Tim McCreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
904svo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315384
Vehicle:
2005 Porsche 904 kit
Silver

Download FreeSSM and see what if any DLC's are being reported, most ODB2 readers will not report Immobilizer DLC codes.
904svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Tim McCreary
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904svo View Post
Download FreeSSM and see what if any DLC's are being reported, most ODB2 readers will not report Immobilizer DLC codes.
I am not sure what you mean. Is this a troubleshooting guide or is this a program to connect to my car. If a program, what cable do I need to connect?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
904svo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315384
Vehicle:
2005 Porsche 904 kit
Silver

Its a free program which does most of the fuctions of the Subaru SSM3 unit
the dealer uses. You will also need a cable which plugs in your OBD2 port. just goggle freessm to down load it. The instruction will tell you which cable you will need.
904svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Tim McCreary
Scooby Newbie

I ordered a cable today. Does this work while the engine is running in real time or just when it is off like an OBD II scanner. Can it be used to program new keys?