Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #3601
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo607 View Post
Fun thread....I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new Legacy CVT. Based on Fuelly and the forums I've read the 2.5 CVT delivers the EPA estimated numbers. The Impreza 2.0 will likely only gets 1 or maybe 2 MPG better. I'll take the power and space of the Legacy. Also I want the range of that 18.5 gallon tank!

My wife has an '11 Outback 2.5 CVT. I don't even bother trying to track average or city fuel economy. But on all our long highway trips we get the advertised 29 mpg - typically cruising at 72 MPH.
My '12 Impreza gets about 5 MPG better than the '13 OB in day to day use. Now on the highway at 70+ Mph, the difference is reduced to about a 2/3 MPG gain. The '13 OB gets a bit less than the '10 OB that we previously owned - that car got 32+ MPG going back and forth between Omaha and Denver (summer time) and the '13 OB only got about 25/26 MPG going back in forth between Omaha and Chicago (winter time). Impreza is getting about 28/29 MPG (winter time).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #3602
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Someone who has already come and gone (owned a CVT limited but traded it in) complained about the horrible MPG's, but admitted that they thought the car was very underpowered so they constantly hammered the accelerator to get it going.

If you want the Legacy with the larger engine for more power, go ahead and buy it over the Impreza, because if you get the Impreza with the smaller engine, you would likely see poorer than expected MPG's out of the Impreza for the same reasons that they did.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3603
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Certainly don't buy the Impreza for its highway fuel economy unless you plan to drive under 60 mph on the highway and don't buy it for its city fuel economy unless the city driving near you doesn't consist of red lights and stop signs or temps that require your car to warm up or else you will be disappointed like many of us.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #3604
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

I'm pretty happy with ~32-33 mpg highway at normal human being speeds. one time I managed 38 mpg when I was doing a good deal of highway at 55-60 mph due to construction. getting 36 mpg is pretty unlikely with joe six-pack driving habits.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #3605
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Default

Last trip, avg speed 65, 250 miles and 36 mpg.
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #3606
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

If you keep it around 65mph you will see good mileage, but people that think 65 mph is yielding poor mileage are probably driving much faster than that without admitting it, or are seeing an average speed on their display of 65mph and thinking it is the same thing as driving 65mph.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #3607
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
If you keep it around 65mph you will see good mileage, but people that think 65 mph is yielding poor mileage are probably driving much faster than that without admitting it, or are seeing an average speed on their display of 65mph and thinking it is the same thing as driving 65mph.
Oh so now your stance is that those getting poor mileage are either liars or just stupid. I'm not sure why you have so many doubts but you are certainly entitled to your opinion and it's not worth my time to argue with you.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #3608
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

You don't need to believe me, test it yourself.

Go find a stretch of highway where you can drive at least 10 miles unimpeded without climbing into the Rockies, set your cruise at 65, and reset your tripometer. No AC, windows up, no defrost (see the no AC comment).

Report back the number your display shows you for average MPG after the 10 miles.

It will overestimate slightly, but do you want to bet that it shows mid 30's or above for the 10 mile test?

Granted I did this test in the summer with temps about 75 and regular blend gasoline, but I was showing 36+ mpg in my car (rated 33mpg highway) during my 10 mile test, this was a test that I repeated several times.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #3609
saabarupp
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189032
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Ltd 413/800
'12 Impreza Sport Ltd DGM

Default

I noticed the Impreza's ideal conditions are if you drive mostly in rural type country roads because: there are very few stops; every trip is a somewhat longish one; the posted speed limits are usually between 45 and 55 mph; in the winter time the roads tend to be more poorly maintained in these areas thus maximizing the benefit of the awd.
saabarupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #3610
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
You don't need to believe me, test it yourself.

Go find a stretch of highway where you can drive at least 10 miles unimpeded without climbing into the Rockies, set your cruise at 65, and reset your tripometer. No AC, windows up, no defrost (see the no AC comment).

Report back the number your display shows you for average MPG after the 10 miles.

It will overestimate slightly, but do you want to bet that it shows mid 30's or above for the 10 mile test?

Granted I did this test in the summer with temps about 75 and regular blend gasoline, but I was showing 36+ mpg in my car (rated 33mpg highway) during my 10 mile test, this was a test that I repeated several times.
When did you become the MPG expert - go to guy. Man you are the king of arrogant ingnorance. Uggh!
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #3611
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
When did you become the MPG expert - go to guy. Man you are the king of arrogant ingnorance. Uggh!
Yes, me telling you not to believe me but to go test it yourself is the height of arrogance. That is some very strange reasoning you have there!
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #3612
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

IMO this car has good HW numbers and horrible city figures.

I have to also say it is surely possible to get 36 mpg going 65 mph but that has to be done on cruise the whole way. If you are feathering the gas yourself then yes.. you will never see these numbers
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #3613
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Yes, me telling you not to believe me but to go test it yourself is the height of arrogance. That is some very strange reasoning you have there!
I mean honestly.. they just need to take a trip of somewhere around 200 miles round trip to see this.

I did this driving to Winchester, had the car on cruise 65 mph most of the way (the speed limit down in VA gets up to 70 in those areas) and when I got back home I nearly had 240 miles to half a tank. And i will surely say that was nowhere near conservative driving..
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #3614
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post

I mean honestly.. they just need to take a trip of somewhere around 200 miles round trip to see this.

I did this driving to Winchester, had the car on cruise 65 mph most of the way (the speed limit down in VA gets up to 70 in those areas) and when I got back home I nearly had 240 miles to half a tank. And i will surely say that was nowhere near conservative driving..
I can't say it enough but I have taken the Impreza on two road trips. One was a 400 mile trip to NYC and the other was 420 miles to Jersey. Both times I reset the trip and had cruise set between 65 and 70 depending on the speed limit. My avg. Mpg gauge never got above 33 and my hand calculated averages were below 31 on each trip. You can call me a liar if you wish it doesn't bother me but isn't it possible some of us are experiencing poor fuel economy for reasons out of our control.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #3615
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post
...but isn't it possible some of us are experiencing poor fuel economy for reasons out of our control.
Yes, of course. You can't control elements such as temperature, wind, how hilly the terrain is, the ethanol content in your gas, altitude, the number of miles to your destination, and more. But you can control your speed, rate of acceleration/deceleration, tire pressure, use of cruise control, and so on.

So control what you can to optimize your fuel economy.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #3616
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post
I can't say it enough but I have taken the Impreza on two road trips. One was a 400 mile trip to NYC and the other was 420 miles to Jersey. Both times I reset the trip and had cruise set between 65 and 70 depending on the speed limit. My avg. Mpg gauge never got above 33 and my hand calculated averages were below 31 on each trip. You can call me a liar if you wish it doesn't bother me but isn't it possible some of us are experiencing poor fuel economy for reasons out of our control.
I am not calling you a liar, the problem with your analysis is that you mistake 65 and 70 as the same thing, when the difference in fuel economy between 65 and 70 is ~ 9% worse fuel economy:

http://www.mpgforspeed.com
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #3617
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

'''
Report back
...
Are you trying to be a dolt or is it natural?
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #3618
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Yes, me telling you not to believe me but to go test it yourself is the height of arrogance. That is some very strange reasoning you have there!
You should really listen to yourself.... I mean really sit there look in the mirror and think about it! So driving on a test sample hitting the computer RE-SET (which means nothing IMO) and seeing some display showing me I hit x # MPG makes it okay that my CVT in real world driving, and again ( I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE EFFICIENTLY) does not reach the advertised MPG's refill after refill does what??? NOTHING

Your arrogant ignorance is telling us how we should be happy with our real world MPG's, and then telling us why we are not reaching them b/c we are lying how we drive? WTF are you, and you dont even have a CVT? You really are a friggin tool box. I dont get it.. do you work for Subaru or somthing?... what is your problem? I truley do not get it.

Everyday I get up, get into my car, drive as efficiently as I can (become an obsession sometimes) and my CVT car mostly highway during my commute does not break the 30MPG hand calc. Are you dense or something.. I dont need you tell me how to drive and why I am not reaching them.. IT IS THE CAR. Are you retarded or something. This is very simple, why do you keep rebuttling. The CVT does not reach the advertised MPG's. Thats It! DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!! Do you think I dont want it to or something. And seriously, to all who have stated many times that they are happy with the MPG's there are having.. God Bless, enjoy your cars. I guess my standards are different. Oh man, dont know what else to say. Uggh
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #3619
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
You should really listen to yourself.... I mean really sit there look in the mirror and think about it! So driving on a test sample hitting the computer RE-SET (which means nothing IMO) and seeing some display showing me I hit x # MPG makes it okay that my CVT in real world driving, and again ( I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE EFFICIENTLY) does not reach the advertised MPG's refill after refill does what??? NOTHING

Your arrogant ignorance is telling us how we should be happy with our real world MPG's, and then telling us why we are not reaching them b/c we are lying how we drive? WTF are you, and you dont even have a CVT? You really are a friggin tool box. I dont get it.. do you work for Subaru or somthing?... what is your problem? I truley do not get it.

Everyday I get up, get into my car, drive as efficiently as I can (become an obsession sometimes) and my CVT car mostly highway during my commute does not break the 30MPG hand calc. Are you dense or something.. I dont need you tell me how to drive and why I am not reaching them.. IT IS THE CAR. Are you retarded or something. This is very simple, why do you keep rebuttling. The CVT does not reach the advertised MPG's. Thats It! DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!! Do you think I dont want it to or something. And seriously, to all who have stated many times that they are happy with the MPG's there are having.. God Bless, enjoy your cars. I guess my standards are different. Oh man, dont know what else to say. Uggh
What I understand clearly is that you either cannot read or you do not understand what you read.

The fact is anyone can read this forum and see that some people driving Impreza's with CVT transmissions are achieving the advertised mpg's, even though you are not.

So stop conflating your personal experience with the experience of others who are providing evidence that contradicts you.

If some drivers can get the numbers, and you cannot, of course it means that all Impreza's with the CVT do not reach the advertised MPG's.

That makes perfect sense?

Sorry, you just failed logic.

It would be true if you said "my impreza does not meet the advertised MPG's" , so try writing statements that can be proven by you, and not statements that can be easily disproven by me, and we can have a conversation.
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #3620
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post

I can't say it enough but I have taken the Impreza on two road trips. One was a 400 mile trip to NYC and the other was 420 miles to Jersey. Both times I reset the trip and had cruise set between 65 and 70 depending on the speed limit. My avg. Mpg gauge never got above 33 and my hand calculated averages were below 31 on each trip. You can call me a liar if you wish it doesn't bother me but isn't it possible some of us are experiencing poor fuel economy for reasons out of our control.
Do you feel 31mpg for an awd car is unreasonable?
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #3621
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post

Do you feel 31mpg for an awd car is unreasonable?
If this car was rated at 31 or even 32 mpg highway then I would say it's reasonable but if that were the case I would not have purchased it because it's not that impressive. The Impreza is a good car and in my opinion the only thing that could make it great is if the epa numbers were achievable like every other car I have ever owned. The 3rd generation Integra for example was a great car and that's why I've owned 4 over the years. The Impreza falls short in my opinion.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #3622
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Ik driving habits.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! That's good stuff!!!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #3623
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post

does not reach the advertised MPG's

and my CVT car mostly highway during my commute does not break the 30MPG hand calc.
Sounds like it's meeting it to me! Below that big number '36' that you evidently focused on and ignored the rest of the window sticker, it says the expected range for most drivers on the highway is 29-43. Granted, you're on the low end, BUT you even said it was mostly highway, meaning there was some city in there too!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #3624
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post

If this car was rated at 31 or even 32 mpg highway then I would say it's reasonable but if that were the case I would not have purchased it because it's not that impressive. The Impreza is a good car and in my opinion the only thing that could make it great is if the epa numbers were achievable like every other car I have ever owned. The 3rd generation Integra for example was a great car and that's why I've owned 4 over the years. The Impreza falls short in my opinion.
But they ARE achievable!!!!! There's a ton of people meeting them! You're one of them actually! Subaru never said anywhere on their window sticker, "this car WILL get 36mpg highway" yet that's the only number you focus on. What about the 29-43 expected range for most drivers?!?!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #3625
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

It's pointless because those able to get good fuel economy will continue to defend it and those who don't despite how they drive will continue to be disappointed. Those who consistently come close to the listed epa numbers are fortunate and frankly I'm jealous but oh well you live and you learn.

Anyone have an Integra Type R for sale because I would love to make a trade? Lol
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.