Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #76
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

VW's success is no wonder. Their cars are absolutely beautiful to drive when they are working correctly. The car sells itself during the test drive. No salesman required.

It's after the sale that VW owners are screwed. But they love the car so much because of how well it drives that VW owners give the car, the dealership, VWoA, and so on an aweful lot of slack.

I get it. I loved my 2010 Golf TDI when it was working correctly. Give me a choice between driving my TDI on a good day vs. driving my Impreza on a good day, and I would choose the TDI. Don't get me wrong--I like driving my Impreza a lot; it's a very good car to drive. But the TDI was a great car to drive on a good day.

The problem is that there were enough bad days that I couldn't trust the TDI. And for a daily driver, that's just not acceptable to me. I'm not as willing to cut a great driving car slack as many VW owners are, which is why I'm now hanging out on this fine forum with you guys.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #77
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
VW's success is no wonder. Their cars are absolutely beautiful to drive when they are working correctly. The car sells itself during the test drive. No salesman required.

It's after the sale that VW owners are screwed. But they love the car so much because of how well it drives that VW owners give the car, the dealership, VWoA, and so on an aweful lot of slack.

I get it. I loved my 2010 Golf TDI when it was working correctly. Give me a choice between driving my TDI on a good day vs. driving my Impreza on a good day, and I would choose the TDI. Don't get me wrong--I like driving my Impreza a lot; it's a very good car to drive. But the TDI was a great car to drive on a good day.

The problem is that there were enough bad days that I couldn't trust the TDI. And for a daily driver, that's just not acceptable to me. I'm not as willing to cut a great driving car slack as many VW owners are, which is why I'm now hanging out on this fine forum with you guys.
My high school auto-shop teacher once told me, "never buy a VW unless it comes with a warranty"

After owning one, I know why lol.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #78
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
My high school auto-shop teacher once told me, "never buy a VW unless it comes with a warranty"

After owning one, I know why lol.
Yeah. Mine had a warranty, so all of its failures were covered. But it still cost me a lot of stress, time, inconvenience, and anger. Sold it with 6k miles left on the warranty.

It would be interesting to take a survey of car buyers, like this:

Would your rather buy a:
  • Car that's great to drive but needs to go to the garage every 4 to 6 months for repairs, adjustments, recalls, etc., or a
  • Car that's very good to drive (but not great) that never requires anything more than routine preventive maintenance?


I wonder how that survey would turn out. Because that very question is the key to VW's success.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #79
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Yeah. Mine had a warranty, so all of its failures were covered. But it still cost me a lot of stress, time, inconvenience, and anger. Sold it with 6k miles left on the warranty.

It would be interesting to take a survey of car buyers, like this:


Would your rather buy a:
  • Car that's great to drive but needs to go to the garage every 4 to 6 months for repairs, adjustments, recalls, etc., or a
  • Car that's very good to drive (but not great) that never requires anything more than routine preventive maintenance?


I wonder how that survey would turn out. Because that very question is the key to VW's success.
I have had prob over 20 cars, (get bored quick) and I can honestly say the best car I have ever owned was my 1992 VWGTI 16v. Car was perfectly balanced, no electronics to break, ie roll down windows, sunroof, best handling car IMO and great on gas. That was a simple, well engineered car that was awesome to drive. I had very few issues with that car, but even if I had, I would take that car even with problems. I choose option 1. Man I miss that car

You are correct, People buy European cars because the driving experience can be far superior to Japanese brands IMO. It all comes down to your pocketbook and what you want/need a car for???
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #80
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
You are correct, People buy European cars because the driving experience can be far superior to Japanese brands IMO. It all comes down to your pocketbook and what you want/need a car for???
Precisely. I want a great driving car. But I need a reliable car. So I would take the second option in my survey above, which is exactly what I did when I bought my Impreza--gave up a great driving but unreliable car in exchange for a good driving and very reliable car.

This is why I'll be monitoring how the next generation of WRX does in terms of driving fun and reliability. I really like the BRZ, too, but I need four doors and more space.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #81
vwgti123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335945
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: West Islip NY
Vehicle:
2013 Sport Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Precisely. I want a great driving car. But I need a reliable car. So I would take the second option in my survey above, which is exactly what I did when I bought my Impreza--gave up a great driving but unreliable car in exchange for a good driving and very reliable car.

This is why I'll be monitoring how the next generation of WRX does in terms of driving fun and reliability. I really like the BRZ, too, but I need four doors and more space.
Just want to say this... all car brands have lemons...Even Subaru, Just ask the oil thread guys.

I agree with you, I too chose the Impreza for personal practicality reasons, but my 2010 VWGTI was not unreliable in any way shape or form. Performed flawlessly and was beyond a super blast to drive. If only my Buick DD did not get totalled, I would still have her. But, that is the past.

So far I have a bit over 5k on the Impreza since 10/13/12, and reliability wise not one issue. I do have a list for the dealer though when car goes in soon for service. The dash rattles at low RPM (so annoying, getting worse too thankfully) the right front door speaker seems to be blown or loose or something, and has anyone else noticed the heater blower motor is beyond loud, and does not work well unless only in the low fan speeds?

Point is I truley think that all of the car companies, except GM IMO make very good products, there will always be lemons.
vwgti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #82
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti123 View Post
Point is I truley think that all of the car companies, except GM IMO make very good products, there will always be lemons.
Agreed. But if you followed the VW MK6 TDI forums, you would know that those cars have a slew of pattern failures. I'm not talking about a random car that turns out to be a dud. I'm talking about every car that is prone to problems given the wrong fuel, or the wrong temperature/humidity conditions, or the wrong driving style, or....
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #83
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ts-rankings#p2
Sedans, Compact:
Best: Subaru Impreza Premium. Worst: Volkswagen Jetta SE

Hatchbacks/Wagons, Compact:
Best: Volkswagen Golf TDI. Worst: Mini Cooper Clubman

I guess the impreza hatchback is too big to be a compact hatchback.



http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...2013/index.htm

Compact car
Subaru Impreza

Quote:
Subaru’s 2012 redesign breathed new life into the all-wheel-drive Impreza. Both sedan and hatchback versions are good, sensible cars, with nimble handling and a compliant, absorbent ride that rivals some luxury sedans. Fuel economy is impressive for an AWD car. And the roomy interior, spacious rear seat, simple controls, and refreshingly good visibility make it easy to live with. OK, noise isolation is so-so, but that’s no deal-breaker. Sedan $21,345; hatchback $22,345.
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #84
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Consumer Reports should add an asterisk next to the Golf TDI:

* The VW Golf TDI only ranks as best when it's running. In addition to the Fuel System problems that earn a black dot in our reliability tables, the TDI is also prone to intercooler icing, diesel particulate filter clogging, various kinds of emissions issues, and more. If you want a compact hatchback that's almost as good to drive as the Golf TDI while also being vastly more reliable, consider the Impreza 5-door hatchback.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #85
mtdewroo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323635
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Pre
Metallic Gray

Default

Have had mine less than a year. it has 23,000 miles on it. 5 speed impreza premium hatch avg 34mpg use mobil 1 oil and only subi filters.
mtdewroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #86
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdewroo View Post
Have had mine less than a year. it has 23,000 miles on it. 5 speed impreza premium hatch avg 34mpg use mobil 1 oil and only subi filters.
Nice MPGs. Have you noticed any oil consumption on the Mobil1?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #87
Mgeorge8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342878
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Mikes...

93000 miles. Seat warmer went bad lafter 2 years and the drivers seat has become uncomfortable with protrusion on the seat bottom. Will try to make it through another before trading it in. Maybe WRX but not big fan of Subaru ride quality. Need something more comfortable for my long commute.
Mgeorge8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #88
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bensalem, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Function over Form

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgeorge8 View Post
Maybe WRX but not big fan of Subaru ride quality. Need something more comfortable for my long commute.
Legacy?
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #89
SubaruLee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350664
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange, CT / NY, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza limsprt
Silver

Default Highest Mileage 2012 Impreza?

[IMG][/IMG]
2013 lim sport bought late August 2012 ( early release I guess ? ) only issue was at 57k the car went limp mode it was a cam oil thingamabob sensor? Pump? Tech said he swapped it over n put a new one other side haven't had an issue since, I guess It was covered since I had the SOA 100k warranty not sure if I woulda got stiffed otherwise. Woulda found it unacceptable considering how it was babied oil change wise and never saw a 6k oci back then. Driver seat getting a little uncomfy, will have to look into refreshing it in the future. Suspension understandably little bouncier and the wheel has a little more play to it regardless of tire pressure or alignment. The cvt which was the big question mark and made me a bit hesitant in buying the car has been fantastic for commuting and road trip purposes. Oh and I get this slight rattle on the passenger side of the engine top end when it hasn't been started since the day before but goes away quickly, I don't even want to know what it is lol .Overall good reliable little car and has been as care free as the Hondas I've owned over the years.

Last edited by SubaruLee; 08-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.
SubaruLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #90
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bensalem, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Function over Form

Default

Had the same camshaft position sensor problem, but at like 12k miles.

Easy fix but driving it like that scared the crap out of me. Car had zero power and bogged like crazy.
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #91
SubaruLee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350664
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange, CT / NY, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza limsprt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously Tyler View Post
Had the same camshaft position sensor problem, but at like 12k miles.

Easy fix but driving it like that scared the crap out of me. Car had zero power and bogged like crazy.

Yeah that's exactly what it was. It is pretty scary limp mode, my understanding is it's a form of protection also to minimize damage done to the car until issue rectified. Def smart get to dealer Asap. The tech saw my black Tokyo Roki filter and an Amsoil sticker in the engine bay and tried to elude to that possibly being the culprit and how Subarus like Subaru oil ( eyes rolling ).
SubaruLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #92
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bensalem, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Function over Form

Default

I don't think it's an oil issue. Most likely just a faulty part. Every manufacturer has them, can't avoid it.

I've been using Castrol 0W20 Magnatec oil and Subaru filters and that's the only issue I've had so far.

This car is great. I really can't complain. But I'm only at 17,2XX miles.
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #93
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
Seat warmer went bad lafter 2 years and the drivers seat has become uncomfortable with protrusion on the seat bottom. Will try to make it through another before trading it in. Maybe WRX but not big fan of Subaru ride quality. Need something more comfortable for my long commute.
That's one of the two thermal cutout switches. The connected wire can fatigue and break off, which leaves you with the LO setting only. If you trust yourself not to incinerate your seat, these can be removed and bypassed.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #94
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bensalem, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Function over Form

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
That's one of the two thermal cutout switches. The connected wire can fatigue and break off, which leaves you with the LO setting only. If you trust yourself not to incinerate your seat, these can be removed and bypassed.
The high setting does enough incinerating already.
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #95
GarbageDay
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 371213
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DC Metro Area
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Spt Lmtd
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously Tyler View Post
Had the same camshaft position sensor problem, but at like 12k miles.

Easy fix but driving it like that scared the crap out of me. Car had zero power and bogged like crazy.
I had the exact same problem as both of you guys! Mine was at 12k miles as well. Check Engine light came on and I was like NOOOO. The codes it gave me were P000A and P011. I think one of the engine valves was stuck open basically? My mileage went to absolute crap immediately. 6-10 mpg. I took it in to the dealer and it was all covered under warranty. All they did was flush the oil ... code went away and everything seemed fine after except my "current mpg" reading wasn't acting like it was before. It would read at 99 mpg when I was coasting, instead of the --- from before... so it'd give me false higher numbers for my avg mpg.
GarbageDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.