Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #1426
EvilCamaroSS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164690
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate, NY
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy GT LTD
CBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
Improved gas mileage is a must as well.
Federally mandated even.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EvilCamaroSS is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #1427
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
09 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
Did Subaru ever release a concept of the 2008 redesign prior to the GR's official release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subySerb View Post
Nope.
Didn't they have the WRC concept? Or was that released at the same time.

Looks like they started this trend with the 2010 Legacy concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
Yup. No pressure to make dramatic innovations, either.

Seems to me there is plenty of pressure. They are just not rushing it. The way I look at it, all of the complaints about the car over the past 6 years, it is taking them time to do a better car. Hopefully answering those complaints. Subaru has a unique drivetrain and soo many people seem to think it is a simple thing to engineer a car to do exactly what they want it to. I say go design it yourself then. I am just as "bored" with the current car and can't wait for 10 months to pass.

Everyone just needs to calm down. Wooosaaah. It's just like 3+ years of the same for the BRZ. It will get here.
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #1428
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i,'65 Stang
'80 Vette L82,'73 914 2.0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post

Didn't they have the WRC concept? Or was that released at the same time.
I think that was released after the Impreza and WRX were released.
subyski is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #1429
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
Kinda. There is a lot of pressure to increase the power and or make it lighter. Improved gas mileage is a must as well.
The GR is heavier, the STI's power hasn't increased, and gas mileage isn't with this decade. Their solution to needing emissions improvements was leaning out the tune.
rob1n1 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1430
GetTheLedOut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220305
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
The GR is heavier, the STI's power hasn't increased, and gas mileage isn't with this decade. Their solution to needing emissions improvements was leaning out the tune.
Which is why the first thing I did to mine was an aftermarket tune that runs more rich. It's a shame that you have to void your powertrain warranty to not have a car that goes through pistons like so many on this forum have reported.

With the new FXT out, it's just a matter of time before someone gets one on a dyno. I'm curious to see how the stock tune is tuned eve though it will be a lot different than the new WRX, its worth seeing how they tuned the 2.0 on that application.
GetTheLedOut is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1431
paukert11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327666
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: El Segundo
Vehicle:
02 slow psmwagon

Default

I really like the advanced tour concept. I hope thats direction that their going.
paukert11 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #1432
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Just left the DFW Autoshow where i finally got a chance to sit in the 14 Forester XT and I wasn't impressed with the the so called more refined interior. I hope that new WRX and STI sets the standard for future Subaru's.

Last edited by cannedtuna; 03-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.
cannedtuna is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #1433
ABHOOD
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 350506
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default

looks ugly
ABHOOD is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #1434
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHOOD View Post
looks ugly
Thanks for joining and contributing to the thread.
53x12 is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #1435
delongedoug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: To infinity
Vehicle:
and beyond!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHOOD View Post
looks ugly
thanks arthur
delongedoug is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #1436
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetTheLedOut View Post
With the new FXT out, it's just a matter of time before someone gets one on a dyno. I'm curious to see how the stock tune is tuned eve though it will be a lot different than the new WRX, its worth seeing how they tuned the 2.0 on that application.
See the 2014 Subaru Forester thread now. ;D

"A lot different than the new WRX" is wishful thinking when no one really knows what it's going to look like in the first place.

A W is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #1437
EnforcerPSU
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76849
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRoo View Post
I kind of do want an Impreza 5 door with:
mildly flared fenders
2.0 DIT motor
6 speed dual clutch flappy paddle gearbox or 6 speed true manual
good shocks
good steering feel
good gas mileage
BRZ quality interior materials and design
BRZ seats
real mechanical diffs front and rear but I doubt that will happen

Call it an Impreza WRX, call it a WRX, call it a weinerschnitzel...i don't care.

The Impreza sedan currently looks a bit too much like a Civic but I think the 5 door looks pretty good. Keep the looks/flares/wings tasteful but "cool" and I'm on board.

The test mule looks ugly because it's a test mule with tacked on body parts. Anyone who commented on it's looks like it mattered doesn't really deserve to have an opinion.

The last WRX was a step in the wrong direction for me personally....over the top fender flares and just too darn big. Great performance though.

Meh. I love the big fender flares and style it carries. I just think it makes the car complete and compliments the WRX heritage.

I, for one, do not want to see a return to same flare-less boring design that plagued us from 2008-2010. The function was there. The form was not.
EnforcerPSU is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1438
schweezly
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187013
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Vehicle:
2013 ST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
Just left the DFW Autoshow where i finally got a chance to sit in the 14 Forester XT and I wasn't impressed with the the so called more refined interior. I hope that new WRX and STI sets the standard for future Subaru's.
I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd expect it to be similar as they're using that in most vehicles.

I'm with you though.
schweezly is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #1439
nuttnfancy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296387
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Silver

Default

Impreza interiors are the worst in the fleet. God help us if they ever set any standard for Subaru unless the standard is for pastic hardness or most squeeks per square inch.
nuttnfancy is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #1440
xabre1200
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259591
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco, California
Vehicle:
2011 WRX sedan
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHOOD View Post
looks ugly
Haha wow banned already?
xabre1200 is online now  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #1441
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2001 AW 2.5RS
2014 DGM WRX Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforcerPSU View Post
Meh. I love the big fender flares and style it carries. I just think it makes the car complete and compliments the WRX heritage.

I, for one, do not want to see a return to same flare-less boring design that plagued us from 2008-2010. The function was there. The form was not.
I despise the 2008-2010 WRX. It's so painstakingly boring.
FL4TFTW is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #1442
GetTheLedOut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220305
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
See the 2014 Subaru Forester thread now. ;D

"A lot different than the new WRX" is wishful thinking when no one really knows what it's going to look like in the first place.

Well, 203whp = 19% loss. The BRZ dyno's are about 20% loss. The 2008 WRX dynoed with about 19% drivetrain loss.

It's par for the course given that Subaru doesn't underrate their cars, unlike BMW, Honda, etc etc.
GetTheLedOut is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #1443
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweezly View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd expect it to be similar as they're using that in most vehicles.

I'm with you though.
Yea it just makes me wonder, how Subaru hopes to compete with the other brands (superior AWD setup...yes I know) when they generally price higher and either match or fall short of what brands offer. Its like the best combination that I've experienced from Subaru is the BRZ, and that vehicle while better than what Subaru usually puts out; it leaves me thinking maybe they could have done a little more in the refinement department. The Focus ST (FWD, torque steer...I want to see how bad it is)which I'll be test driving soon as a result of my experience at the autoshow, just seems like a good buy. Those Recaro's felt even better than the EVO X MR (felt like a leather cladded sheet of plywood), due to its ample use of padding in the right areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttnfancy View Post
Impreza interiors are the worst in the fleet. God help us if they ever set any standard for Subaru unless the standard is for pastic hardness or most squeeks per square inch.
Yea I hear you. I just want to see this addressed in the next WRX/STI for sure. Its like, I've thought about upgrading a few times to a WRX but kept telling myself that its stupid because I'd be getting something that will probably squeek even more than my Impreza due to the more aggressive powertrain rumbling away, loosening all the Elmer's that Subaru used to hold my: dash, door coverings, and center stack together. Maybe I'd even tear a hole in that thin carpeting they use, on a day I decide to drive aggressively with my boots on....
cannedtuna is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1444
cannedtuna
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286661
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ/TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetTheLedOut View Post
Well, 203whp = 19% loss. The BRZ dyno's are about 20% loss. The 2008 WRX dynoed with about 19% drivetrain loss.

It's par for the course given that Subaru doesn't underrate their cars, unlike BMW, Honda, etc etc.
Thanks for posting this. I was curious as to how it compared to another turbo Subaru.
cannedtuna is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #1445
WRX_02_227
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12434
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2011 BMW 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
Maybe I'd even tear a hole in that thin carpeting they use, on a day I decide to drive aggressively with my boots on....
It's not carpet it's felt covered paper.
WRX_02_227 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #1446
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetTheLedOut View Post
Well, 203whp = 19% loss. The BRZ dyno's are about 20% loss. The 2008 WRX dynoed with about 19% drivetrain loss.

It's par for the course given that Subaru doesn't underrate their cars, unlike BMW, Honda, etc etc.
A 20% loss is plausible for an AWD car, not so much for RWD.
Rootus is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1447
GetTheLedOut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220305
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
Yea I hear you. I just want to see this addressed in the next WRX/STI for sure. Its like, I've thought about upgrading a few times to a WRX but kept telling myself that its stupid because I'd be getting something that will probably squeek even more than my Impreza due to the more aggressive powertrain rumbling away, loosening all the Elmer's that Subaru used to hold my: dash, door coverings, and center stack together. Maybe I'd even tear a hole in that thin carpeting they use, on a day I decide to drive aggressively with my boots on....
My WRX is going on 6 years old, and it doesn't squeak, rattle, buzz, or hum. Maybe I'm fortunate, but I've zero BSR issues in almost 6 years.
If the next model is even tighter, then great!
GetTheLedOut is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #1448
spaceywilly
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174268
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Providence
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedtuna View Post
Yea it just makes me wonder, how Subaru hopes to compete with the other brands (superior AWD setup...yes I know) when they generally price higher and either match or fall short of what brands offer. Its like the best combination that I've experienced from Subaru is the BRZ, and that vehicle while better than what Subaru usually puts out; it leaves me thinking maybe they could have done a little more in the refinement department. The Focus ST (FWD, torque steer...I want to see how bad it is)which I'll be test driving soon as a result of my experience at the autoshow, just seems like a good buy. Those Recaro's felt even better than the EVO X MR (felt like a leather cladded sheet of plywood), due to its ample use of padding in the right areas.
I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I thought the Focus ST seats were nothing special, and the color scheme made me nauseous. They have the Recaro name on them but they didn't seem that great to me. The BRZ seats blow them out of the water, in my opinion. I drove the Focus ST at an autocross event put on by Ford, and it was impressive if you're in that market. The torque steer is barely there. It's a fun car to drive, but Ford's interiors do nothing for me, and coming out of my BRZ it felt like I was driving an SUV. I would personally get one over the current WRX if I was in that market. I'm hoping they'll step it up with this WRX and give it some of the better handling and interior features from the BRZ. In particular I'd like to see the seats, steering wheel, and gauges carried over from the interior, and the steering, shifting, and brake feel.
spaceywilly is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #1449
The Duke
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264877
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Does anyone know when Subarus press day is for NYIAS?
The Duke is online now  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #1450
Reverend_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315019
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5-Door
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post
They have the Recaro name on them but they didn't seem that great to me. The BRZ seats blow them out of the water, in my opinion.
The BRZ's seats are fantastic. Someone wrecked a BRZ and parted it out. Saw that a WRX owner got the seats and couldn't help but think it'd make a great pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post
In particular I'd like to see the seats, steering wheel, and gauges carried over from the interior, and the steering, shifting, and brake feel.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes that direction. Only trouble is bringing the shifting feel from the BRZ. I don't think Subaru made the transmission/shifter for it. Can't remember the name of the company that did.
Reverend_ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.