Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
findurpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277487
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT and Lakewood, WA
Vehicle:
2006 CGM WRX Limited
6sp, 18G, Phatron tuned

Default

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
findurpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #52
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

haha no doubt..Type2 is smokin out the ears. I collect haters no worries

So its coming together. Surgeline is making a limp E-tune for me as we speak. I just need to flash my eco when I get it and go. They are doing the finishing touches on the motor now as well. I checked it out this morning and they got it all in and wrapped the downpipe and up-pipe. The invidia downpipe, turbo and perrin turbo inlet combo just looks knarly...SO much airflow going on there. I definately need that wick tmi woohoo








Last edited by RallySoob; 03-21-2013 at 05:29 PM.
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #53
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

the killerB oil pan hangs kind of low. looks like a drag race application almost. I definately need a metal skid and tranny/oil pan cover under there. Primitive rally racing makes them both for a fair price too. I went to their their advanced Rally school so it would be cool to buy from them
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #54
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

oh ya, I'm going to get the perrin lightened crank pulley too. Any cons with that item? I cant find any... its cheap and should increase performance feel. I want it put on before my tune on april 2nd.
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #55
RemlapaN
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 58251
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northeast PA
Vehicle:
2004 Sti
GT35R 530whp @ 27psi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
oh ya, I'm going to get the perrin lightened crank pulley too. Any cons with that item? I cant find any... its cheap and should increase performance feel. I want it put on before my tune on april 2nd.
I would advise against touching the crank pulley. Leave the stock one on the car.

There is the potential (not guaranteed. But it MIGHT) for it to cause idling issues, CELs, fluctuating idle when AC kicks in, and more prone to stalling on take-offs.
RemlapaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #56
findurpath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277487
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bozeman, MT and Lakewood, WA
Vehicle:
2006 CGM WRX Limited
6sp, 18G, Phatron tuned

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
the killerB oil pan hangs kind of low. looks like a drag race application almost. I definately need a metal skid and tranny/oil pan cover under there. Primitive rally racing makes them both for a fair price too. I went to their their advanced Rally school so it would be cool to buy from them
I run a RallyArmor aluminum skid plate and there is NOT much clearance between the bottom of my stock oil pan and the skid plate. I am not aware of any production skid plates that are available that would accommodate the Killer B oil pan?

Go for the lightweight crank pulley. I actually wondered, when looking at your pics why there wasn't one already on there. I run the GrimmSpeed one and have no complaints whatsoever.

The only time I've heard a LCP causing the kind of issues that RemlapaN described is when they are TOO light.
findurpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #57
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
haha no doubt..Type2 is smokin out the ears. I collect haters no worries

So its coming together. Surgeline is making a limp E-tune for me as we speak. I just need to flash my eco when I get it and go. They are doing the finishing touches on the motor now as well. I checked it out this morning and they got it all in and wrapped the downpipe and up-pipe. The invidia downpipe, turbo and perrin turbo inlet combo just looks knarly...SO much airflow going on there. I definately need that wick tmi woohoo
LOL pretty sure the UMAD BRO was directed at you after your little tirade on post #47. Regardless, everything looks like it is coming together quite nicely. You're going to have a lot of fun.

Regarding the lightweight pulley, I researched it for my build and opted against it. The gains were too small vs the risks of misfires, idling issues, etc. Others like the poster above has used it and loved it.

Whoever wrapped your down pipe looks like they missed about 6" of the most critical part (i.e. right after the turbo). I would ask them to re-wrap it properly or just make a mental note to do it yourself. Also, they should have used DEI Titanium wrap - looks like they used the cheap stuff. It's still better than nothing, but when you are using a TMIC (like me) you need every single thing to be done right to minimize heat soak.

I see they used a SS line for the turbo oil feed - good idea. Sometimes the old lines crack and leak, and the filters in them can get clogged.

I wasn't being a dick before, and I'm not "hatin", but I still stand by everything I said. You have a lot to learn, but there's nothing like shelling out $9k on an engine build that suddenly makes you want to research and learn everything possible! Ask me how I know, lol.

Good luck! And I still want to see a dyno plot when you get it tuned.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #58
Philbertio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328133
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Magog, Quebec Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru Forester
Repo grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2 View Post
LOL pretty sure the UMAD BRO was directed at you after your little tirade on post #47. Regardless, everything looks like it is coming together quite nicely. You're going to have a lot of fun.

Regarding the lightweight pulley, I researched it for my build and opted against it. The gains were too small vs the risks of misfires, idling issues, etc. Others like the poster above has used it and loved it.

Whoever wrapped your down pipe looks like they missed about 6" of the most critical part (i.e. right after the turbo). I would ask them to re-wrap it properly or just make a mental note to do it yourself. Also, they should have used DEI Titanium wrap - looks like they used the cheap stuff. It's still better than nothing, but when you are using a TMIC (like me) you need every single thing to be done right to minimize heat soak.

I see they used a SS line for the turbo oil feed - good idea. Sometimes the old lines crack and leak, and the filters in them can get clogged.

I wasn't being a dick before, and I'm not "hatin", but I still stand by everything I said. You have a lot to learn, but there's nothing like shelling out $9k on an engine build that suddenly makes you want to research and learn everything possible! Ask me how I know, lol.

Good luck! And I still want to see a dyno plot when you get it tuned.
x2.

Just a side note to the OP, your mechanic's shop looks like a pig sty.
I'd go full rage face if I spent $6k on parts and had stuff sitting on a dirty floor, just waiting to get mixed up with other peoples parts.
Its the principle I guess.

Good luck with your build either way.
P
Philbertio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #59
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemlapaN View Post
I would advise against touching the crank pulley. Leave the stock one on the car.

There is the potential (not guaranteed. But it MIGHT) for it to cause idling issues, CELs, fluctuating idle when AC kicks in, and more prone to stalling on take-offs.
Thanks for the advice man. I will skip the pulley because the last thing I want is to even take a chance at a headache. good call

Last edited by RallySoob; 03-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #60
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

they have a 6 bay shop and you have seen pics of one bay thats plenty clean and has a nice lift in it. I love how mad I make you 2 dbags. It makes it all worth it for me. You should see my youtube channel Check out this piece of crap W12 Bently they were working on the other day I was there. They must not know much huh? hatin mfrs ..suk on that jellysikl


Last edited by RallySoob; 03-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #61
northman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 163631
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
07 Forester XT
Dom 1.5XT-R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
I love how mad I make you 2 dbags. It makes it all worth it for me. You should see my youtube channel Check out this piece of crap W12 Bently they were working on the other day I was there. They must not know much huh? hatin mfrs ..suk on that jellysikl
Everyone else are posting politely, yet you are the one acting all butthurt?

But anyway, from earlier in the thread you were wondering why your mostly stock motor might not last many hundreds of thousands of miles. What stands out to me is much talk about all the parts you are sourcing, but not much mention to the people/process of putting it all together. A good builder makes all the difference, that is what I would be focusing on.

There are many instances of stock motors going 1 or 2 hundred thousand miles. There are many instances of built motors lasting a couple thousand or fewer miles. Some don't make it off of the dyno. Obviously you found a builder you are happy with, and I can vouch for Surgeline as a top notch tuner, so you have that in your favor.
northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #62
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
they have a 6 bay shop and you have seen pics of one bay thats plenty clean and has a nice lift in it. I love how mad I make you 2 dbags. It makes it all worth it for me. You should see my youtube channel Check out this piece of crap W12 Bently they were working on the other day I was there. They must not know much huh? hatin mfrs ..suk on that jellysikl
Good grief, man. Read what I have written. I've been polite, honest, and provided you with good information. I think the reason why you keep "collecting haters wherever you go" has a lot to do with your attitude. When everyone else seems wrong, it's time to look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northman View Post
Everyone else are posting politely, yet you are the one acting all butthurt?

But anyway, from earlier in the thread you were wondering why your mostly stock motor might not last many hundreds of thousands of miles. What stands out to me is much talk about all the parts you are sourcing, but not much mention to the people/process of putting it all together. A good builder makes all the difference, that is what I would be focusing on.

There are many instances of stock motors going 1 or 2 hundred thousand miles. There are many instances of built motors lasting a couple thousand or fewer miles. Some don't make it off of the dyno. Obviously you found a builder you are happy with, and I can vouch for Surgeline as a top notch tuner, so you have that in your favor.
OP - This is a good point. My car lasted 225k miles before the ringland finally cracked. My built engine I recently put together -- I am hoping to get 50-100k miles out of. It's a daily driver with occasional spirited driving. Over $9k invested.

Good luck on your build.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #63
ProfessWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323379
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
06 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
they have a 6 bay shop and you have seen pics of one bay thats plenty clean and has a nice lift in it. I love how mad I make you 2 dbags. It makes it all worth it for me. You should see my youtube channel Check out this piece of crap W12 Bently they were working on the other day I was there. They must not know much huh? hatin mfrs ..suk on that jellysikl
That's like saying diamond earrings make a prostitute legit.

Whoop Dee do.
ProfessWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #64
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

Woo hoo it kicks ass!! Eat it haterz haha. Winning
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #65
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default









RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #66
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

I am going to get the Burn Up WRC replica front bumper. Its so frign noce. By far the best bumper u can put on the 06 imo. Especially for us rally loving subyheads

Also gettin prova steering wheel, white ostrich skin roof liner and black carpet. I want the 3 blue prova rear view mirrors too. Aside from few diff engine dress items. Then I have to address the suspension..best struts i can find with perrin/whiteline sways/link upgrades etc. maybe certain cusco braces. I need white roll cage that works with interior too




My shifter turned out.. I irdered white one with sti logo and shift tree in black



RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #67
RallySoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74872
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Salem, OR
Vehicle:
2006 STi
White/Black

Default

350 miles so far... Havent got over 4k rpms yet but it sounds sweet. Very smooth. Cant wait to dyno tune it next tuesdsy. Turned out great!!
RallySoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #68
RemlapaN
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 58251
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northeast PA
Vehicle:
2004 Sti
GT35R 530whp @ 27psi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
I need white roll cage that works with interior too
You don't put full cages in street cars. If you ever get t-boned or roll the car, chances are pretty high that the cage will kill you or turn you into a vegetable.
RemlapaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #69
Dr. octagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171127
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fredericksburg
Vehicle:
02 Kinugawa
psm

Default

stock boost or anything less than 23 psi on that 18g is going to suck.

Why did you not replace the pistons?

Is this 7cm or 8cm?

For 9k you should have gone rotated and gotten those pistons and rods replaced.....you could have gotten alot more for your money.

stock location eats **** = truth
Dr. octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #70
Dr. octagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171127
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fredericksburg
Vehicle:
02 Kinugawa
psm

Default

OP's dyno numbers are in, posted in proven power

Last edited by Dr. octagon; 04-03-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Dr. octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #71
Sneeky Pete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97745
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago-Subs
Vehicle:
2005 OBXT 5spd red
05 OB Lmited Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemlapaN View Post

You don't put full cages in street cars. If you ever get t-boned or roll the car, chances are pretty high that the cage will kill you or turn you into a vegetable.
= truth


Without a harness, hans protector and a helmet a cage is almost as dangerous as not having one at all, imagine how silly you'd look wearing all that gear
Sneeky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #72
Bryan18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141238
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere, MA
Vehicle:
2006 STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default

Such a shame
Bryan18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #73
Bryan18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141238
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere, MA
Vehicle:
2006 STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default

Car seems to of come out real good. But its a shame that you built your car based off of someone elses dreams. They told you what to get at the shop and you just agreed and said yes. Even after saying you were getting a tmic you described it as a process west or "what ever it is". The car came out great but you seemed to just get what was more popular and what everyone else was running. No individuality. You seem to not know mih about these cars and how some parts compliment others and just bought what ever was more expensive. Its kinda sad really.
Bryan18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.