Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
riddlinkidd66
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 107171
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 STi
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
The Crawford AOS install does not cap off the PCV valve; it deletes it entirely. The PCV valve is directly under the throttle body, and the TB must be removed to gain access.
My bad. I didn't see the update to the instructions.
^This is not the point anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
The PCV valve is considered an emissions control device. Emissions control devices cannot be removed in ST*. (This is why you must remain catted, for example)
Yes, the PCV is being removed, it is also being replaced with the AOS which serves the exact same function. The rules also say the PCV cannot be replaced. This is where I have the problem. You CAN replace a Cat with any cat.

Rules are Rules, you must abide by them blah blah. I understand. I am not going to break any rules and I am not trying to whine about anything. Lets have an intellectual discussion on why or why not the rule could be or should be changed.

Replacing the unit with a better one will still retain the emissions functionality. I am having a hard time seeing how you can extrapolate this issue into a modification which replaces the PCV valve that creates an overwhelming advantage. Does anyone have any ideas how you could replace the PCV and gain a huge advantage? Like stated before, you are not even allowed to run higher boost levels anyway.

Simply put, a PCV valve replacement should easily be allowable. If you can upgrade exhaust pieces for increased flow and better power in this class, then doing a mod that has no effect on emissions, no significant effect on power, no effect on chassis stability... it should be a no-brainier.

From Crawford themselves:
"This not only keeps the vehicle within specs of smog but keeps the oil from coating the tops of the pistons. We all know what that does to any tune you have; it causes detonation, a very bad thing for turbo engines."
riddlinkidd66 is offline   Reply With Quote